Valentine Vandal

Valentine Vandal


It was Valentine’s Day. Heechul was bored which was ironic since his day had actually been eventful. The moment he arrived at school, he instantly got some people to confess to him early in the morning before classes, during break time and even on dismissal time. There were even people who used the school’s intercom and radio station to confess to him and play love songs for him. People who he knows and don’t know would ask him for a date.

He opened his school locker which was flooded with love letters, roses, chocolates, sweets and other valentine stuff. He has no idea how a large stuffed teddy bear holding a heart was able to fit inside his small locker. But despite all this, he was still lonely and bored. He was sitting on the bench at the park, observing the loving couples. He could have been dating if he allowed himself to go on a date with one of the people asking him out.

Heechul decided to go home when dusk started to settle in. He was on his way home when he noticed a person vandalizing on a bricked wall. Valentine’s Day !!!  “Do you hate Valentine’s Day that much?” He chuckled at the way the person’s shoulder jerked from being startled.

“Yeah, got a problem with that?” The person glared at Heechul. He seem to be ready to get into an argument or into a fistfight.

“No. I’m not pretty much into Valentine’s Day but I don’t exactly hate it.”

“You’re probably single.” The person said as he moved on to a new wall and started vandalizing again. “From the way you look, you’re probably popular but not interested in anybody. Therefore, remained single. You’re not into Valentine’s Day because you’re pretty much used to getting love letters and gifts and being confessed to. You don’t hate Valentine’s Day because it’s just like any other normal day for you.”

Heechul was pretty much amazed at the person’s insight. “You got everything right. So what about you? Care to tell me why you hate Valentine’s Day? Or can I assume that you got rejected?”

The person’s hand paused for a while before continuing to vandalize again. “People always think that Valentine’s Day is all about love and couples. They don’t think about the other thing that is called rejection. They don’t think about how many people out there get their hearts broken on Valentine’s Day because they’re too caught up with the love and romantic concept.”

“So did you get rejected?”

“Shut up.”

“Hey, you two!!! What are you doing?!?!?!”

Heechul and the other person looked at the owner of the voice. They saw some street officers heading towards them with chain cuffs waving in the air. “.” The person muttered out a curse before grabbing Heechul’s wrist and ran away. There were a lot of twists and turns before they finally lost the street officers.

Heechul never ran so much in his entire life before. He felt like a runaway criminal even though he didn’t do anything bad. But even if all he did was simply standing, he knew that the street officers would still put him to jail or ask him to pay a fine because there were no witnesses to prove his innocence so he decided to run as fast as he could with the guidance of the unknown person. When they finally stopped running, Heechul’s legs felt so tired that it was simply going to give up standing.

Heechul was close to fainting. He couldn’t breath properly and he felt himself falling. He never reached the ground though because he felt strong arms wrapped around him. “Are you okay? , of course you’re not okay…hey, wake up!!!” A hand was patting Heechul’s cheek.

“I’m awake.” Heechul said as he breathed out. “Just…tired…” They stayed like that for a while. Heechul trying to regain his breath and energy while the unknown person had his arms around Heechul for support. “I think I’m fine now.” Heechul said as he tried to stand up.

The person only released his hold on Heechul when he was sure that Heechul was stable enough to stand and walk. “Sorry that you got dragged into this. You shouldn’t have talked to me to keep yourself out of trouble.”

“It’s ok. It was fun.”

The person raised an eyebrow. “It was fun to run from the street officers? I sense that your life lack adventure and must be boring.”

“Yeah. In fact, I was very bored before I talked to you so I’m glad that you kept me from being bored. By the way, I’m Heechul and you are?”

“Kangin.”

Heechul never expected to spend his Valentine’s Day with a stranger. They continued to vandalize on the walls about how Valentine’s Day . “You’re pretty talented.” Kangin commented as he saw a creative font with a nice combination of colors.

“Thanks.” Heechul was happy with his work. “This is the first graffiti I’ve ever made!!!” He pulled out his cellphone and took a picture of it.

The next thing they did was throw water balloons at the couples in the park. They hid themselves very well so the couples wouldn’t see them or take some revenge. They were the cause of their bad dates and possible break-ups. Heechul thought that he must really be a bad guy because he actually enjoyed what he was doing. He just hoped the karma won’t happen to him if he gets a boyfriend to date with next Valentine’s.

Then they had instant cup noodles for dinner by the river. They let their legs dangle in the water while they ate hot noodles. There was no romance but for the first time in Valentine’s Day, Heechul didn’t feel bored or lonely. “You know, you still haven’t told me why you hate Valentine’s Day.” Heechul said before placing some noodles in his mouth.

“Just like what you’ve assumed. I’ve been rejected.” Kangin placed his empty cup of noodles on the ground beside him. “I’ve confessed to three different people in the past. Each time on Valentine’s Day. Each time I got rejected.”

“Why don’t you try confessing on a different day? Maybe you won’t get rejected then.” Heechul joked. “But you know what? It’s just not about couples, love and rejection. It’s about being single, having friends and family to share your love with. Boyfriends and girlfriends come and go but your family and true friends will always be with you so why not celebrate Valentine’s with them?”

“You say that but what are you doing all by yourself then?”

Heechul’s bright smile dimmed a bit. “Well, I don’t have a family anymore and my close friends have their own dates. They say they don’t mind if I tag along with them but I don’t want to be a third wheel or something. I could get a date easily with anyone but that wouldn’t be so meaningful.”

“So you decided to celebrate Valentine’s Day with me, someone you just met?”

“We’re not celebrating. We’re ruining it with all those vandals and throwing of water balloons. But most of all, I hope we can do this again next year.”

Two years passed by, they spent always Valentine’s Day together by making up new and creative ways to ruin the dates of the couples. But even if it wasn’t Valentine’s Day, there are times that they would meet up randomly because Kangin was always seen vandalizing, stealing something and even carnapping by Heechul, who would go along with whatever Kangin was doing because he always found it fun.

Another year passed by, Valentine’s Day came once again. Heechul was surprised when he saw that Kangin wasn’t vandalizing or doing anything equally bad. He was simply sitting on the bench, fiddling with his fingers and looking nervous. Heechul was about to approach him and ask what was wrong but then, a girl approached Kangin first. Kangin’s worried face instantly turned into a smile when he saw the girl. Heechul didn’t know what to name the feeling he felt back then. Anger? Disappointment? Sadness? Jealousy? He decided to stay away and observe them for a while.

They were talking. Kangin’s smile turned into a calm expression when the girl left. Was he rejected? Heechul wondered and observed that Kangin proceeded to do his favorite hobby: vandalizing.
Valentine’s Day !!!

“You still think Valentine’s Day .” Heechul simply stated as he saw Kangin’s new graffiti. “Did you get rejected?”

“No. Besides, I swore to myself to never confess to anybody on Valentine’s Day ever again. I probably have the worst luck on Valentine’s Day and get rejected.” Kangin handed a paint spray to Heechul, who instantly started vandalizing the moment his hand touched the spray.

Heechul thought that Kangin was probably lying. He thought that Kangin was probably hurting deep inside from being rejected by the girl. “You know, if you got rejected, at least you still have me to spend Valentine’s Day with.” He tried to say comforting words.

“Will it be okay with you to spend Valentine’s Day together forever?”

“I don’t think we can remain single forever.”

“No, but we can be a couple forever.”

Heechul almost dropped his spray. “What do you mean?”

“Hey, I made smoke bombs. It would make a large sound as if it was a real bomb. This would really scare the couples.” Kangin said as he took out one smoke bomb from his bag to show it off to Heechul.

“What do you mean?” Heechul asked again, putting on emphasis with every word.

Kangin sighed. He knew that once Heechul was determined to get an answer, he’ll do every means to get that answer. “It was just some corny pick up line. Why are you getting all serious? You honestly think I’ll go for you?”

It was the first time for Heechul to hear those words, to feel the feeling of being unwanted. He even felt the feeling of rejection even if he didn’t confess. Does that mean he actually liked Kangin? He doesn’t want to analyze or think logically right now. It just hurts. “I have to go. I remembered that I actually agreed to go on a date today.”

Kangin knew that Heechul was lying. He didn’t expect Heechul to be affected that badly. “No, don’t go.” He grabbed Heechul’s wrist.

Heechul felt something cold slipped in his finger. He took a look at his hand and found a ring on his finger. “What’s this?”

“I swore to myself not to confess on Valentine’s Day because I’ll only get rejected but I never learn from my mistakes anyway.” Kangin leaned in and kissed Heechul. The kiss was quick and chaste. He was expecting and waiting for the words of rejection to come out from Heechul’s mouth now. He was surprised when Heechul slipped in something cold on his hand. A chained bracelet.

“I’ve received confessions much more nicer and creative than yours but…” Heechul’s thumb rubbed against Kangin’s bottom lip. “You were the only person to confess to me with a kiss.” He laughed when Kangin tried to playfully bite Heechul’s thumb. “Yah! I’m trying to be serious here.”

When Kangin looked up at Heechul again, all playfulness were gone. “Then I’m sure you know that you’re the first person who didn’t reject me.”

“Yeah and you’re the first person I didn’t reject.” Heechul didn’t complain when Kangin slammed him against the wall and started ravishing him. The fresh spray of paint was inhaled while Heechul tried to learn how to breath while kissing Kangin.

The sound of the whistle stopped them from having their moment together. The street officers were on their tail again and so, they had to run and escape. They were probably the only couple who would go on a date by ruining other people’s date on Valentine’s Day but it’s hard to break the habit. It’s how they met and how their relationship started.

Valentine’s Day No More!!!
I love you Kim Heechul ♥


THE END

Mini Epilogue:

Heechul: Kangin-ah!!! You shouldn’t vandalize my name on the wall. The street officers would recognize me and put us to jail!!!

Kangin: I’ve always fantasized what it would be like to have in jail with chains and baton.

Heechul: We could just do a roleplay. We don’t have to be in a real jail with a criminal record.

Kangin: Really? Then let’s go shopping for our props.

A/N: I don’t know what came into me to write that mini-epilogue XD I hope you enjoyed the fic. Comments please?