Final

The Last Goodbye

[ Bold words are lyrics italics are flashbacks normal words are the present]

I sat in my personal changing room, waiting for my comeback stage that will start in a few minutes. I started spacing out, something that I started to do often not long ago when I have nothing to distract me. My heart started to clench and ache as the last quarrel with the love of my life came back to me.

**Flashback 2 years ago, L.A. **
'Kim Taeyeon stop right there! I thought we agreed to stay together forever! I know you do not break your promises! What happened to us?! Tell me so we can work things out! Stop bottling everything up! It's not going to help. Please... Let's work things out... I... I love you too much to let you go...' Tiffany pleaded as tears cascaded down her angelic face, not intending to stop anytime soon.

'Tiffany. I am giving up on us. We will not work out. We will not be happy. We will not be able to have a normal family, which you and I were hoping for before we fell in love with each other. It is just a phase Tiffany. Our love won't last forever. It is a fact. What we had between us was just an infatuation. You will get over it soon. I'm going back to Korea the day after to pursue my singing dream. You should pursue yours too. I sincerely wish that you will find happiness soon. You were a great lover, best friend and sister. You deserve better and we are not destined to be together. Goodbye...' I steeled my heart and walked away from my forever love, not turning back because I knew my resolve would break once I see her crying.
**End of Flashback**

"Kim Taeyeon, you're up!"

I jolted up from my reverie after hearing that, which was my cue to perform. I took a deep breath and suppressed my tears, making my way on stage. This is the first time since that incident that I have returned to L.A., and it is because of work. A United States special episode. It was decided by my managing company to have my comeback on this episode because this was where I came from, also having my comeback song in English for the first time. I made my way on stage and took my position.

"Please welcome Kim Taeyeon with her new song, The Last Goodbye," well that's my cue from the MCs. I took a deep breath and started singing the first stanza as I reminisced about us, again. 

 If you hear this on the radio
Then we've already said our last goodbye
I won't be there when you get home
By now there's someone else that hears you cry

Fany came home from college and I saw her in tears. 'Fany ah! What happened?! Why are you crying?!' 'Taetae... I've been looked down upon at school. Because they found out that I'm lesbian. It's so hard. I've been picked on for no particular reason and I'm frustrated and tired of it. Why can't we be treated as normal?' Tiffany poured out all her thoughts and sorrows. I went up to hug her tight, reassuring her that I will always be there for her, and that everything will be ok.

My eyes started to well up in tears as all the memories of us started flooding back to me.

I wonder if he holds you like I did
I hope that he can love you better
Cause we were everything that's right at the wrong time

'Miss Kim, I hope that you will leave my daughter. What the both of you are doing is sinful, unacceptable and totally wrong. I do not want my daughter to face any type of criticism just because of it. You do know how Tiffany loves our family don't you? If you do not leave my daughter, I will not hesitate to disown her and make your lives miserable. Mark my words, young lady. Think about it.'

Anger and regret came rushing up to me as I portrayed all my emotions into the song.

I didn't wanna lose you
Leave you with a broken heart
But wherever we are, we're miles apart
I know that we tried, but this is the last goodbye
Oh, I didn't want to let you go
But wherever we are, we're miles apart
I know that we tried, but this is the last goodbye

I looked at Fany from afar. She was waiting for me to pick her up from the campus. While she was waiting, I saw many of her schoolmates snickering at her, some even throwing what seemed like hurtful words at her. All she could do was look down, biting her lips as she tried her best to stop herself from crying in order to not let me worry. My heart aches as I saw her eye smiles as I was approaching her, as if nothing has happened. I gave her a small smile in response, giving her a peck on her cheeks before whispering - 'I love you, Fany.' with a decision made up in my mind, even if it hurts.

We were almost beautiful
A broken piece of art put on display
But we were never possible
Another perfect moment thrown away

I decided to plan the last date with the love of my life. I spent a lot of effort, making sure we both have a free day. I booked a private beach resort with all my life savings, where there was no one else but us around so that we could spend our time comfortably. She was squealing like a child in her favorite playground once we reached there and dragged me everywhere while exploring the place. We decided to play on the beach and in the sea, and then we sat on the sand cuddling, enjoying the sceneries of the sunset. I also surprised her with a romantic candlelight dinner by the beach and ended the day off stargazing on the balcony of the room.  I only realized that she had fallen asleep in my arms when I heard soft snores from her. I carried her bridal style and placed her on the bed. I stared at her face for a while, trying to memorize her wonderful features while I her cheeks. The worse day of my life would be happening 4 days later and I wanted to cherish every moment I have left with her. I stared at her pink luscious lips, leaning down to give her a very long kiss. 'I'm sorry Fany ah. This is for the best. I love you,' I whispered, before lying next to her and covered our bodies with the comforter. She instinctively snuggled closer to me and I hugged her tight, closing my eyes and drifting off to join her in dreamland.

I know somebody out there will love you
They'll be the forever we never were
Cause we were everything that's right at the wrong time

It had been a year since the breakup, and I was back in the States to attend my best friends, Yuri and Jessica's wedding. They were the perfect cat and mouse couple, bickering most of the time and making up in a few minutes. Let's not exclude the making out. LOL. It was after the ceremony when I saw her happily greeting the couple with her arm linked with a man's. I recognized the man as Nichkhun, who was trying to woo her ever since our high school days. It seems like he finally made it. I smiled bitterly at them before leaving the venue, congratulating the couple through text messages and apologizing for having to leave early because of emergencies. I could not control my tears as I was walking away, never looking back.

I didn't want to lose you
Leave you with a broken heart
But wherever we are, we're miles apart
I know that we tried, but this is the last goodbye
Oh, I didn't want to let you go
But wherever we are, we're miles apart
I know that we tried, but this is the last goodbye

It was then that I saw her in the crowd, watching my performance with tears in her eyes. I clenched my fists hard against my microphone, trying my best not to cry on stage. She noticed that I have been staring at her and she flashed a small smile that never reached her eyes. 

If you hear this on the radio
Then we've already said our last goodbye
Our last goodbye

I didn't want to lose you
Leave you with a broken heart
But wherever we are, we're miles apart
I know that we tried, but this is the last goodbye
The last goodbye
I know that we tried, but this is the last goodbye

I gave her a soft smile, acknowledging her, before taking a bow and leaving the stage. Thank you Tiffany Hwang. It had been a great journey with you, as a best friend for 5 years and 3 years as lovers. I have decided to start anew and move on, although my heart will always only belong to you.  Fany ah, I hope that you are truly happy now. Goodbye.

A/N: Thanks for reading. Song featured is The Last Goodbye by David Cook. It'll be great if there are comments, and I'll be elated if there are votes. :) I'm like so dead. Time check now is SGT 2am and I can't sleep. Worst thing is that I have a 6 hour lecture tomorrow at school starting from 8.30am. May God bless me! Til next time~