Forever & Always

Forever & Always

They were strangers.

They weren’t aware of each other’s existence.

But it seems that destiny wanted them to meet.

-9-

It was a normal day for Park Chanyeol. A typical day for him was entering class late, sleep in class, eat, and then sleep in class again.

That’s how things are for him.

No one bothered to try anymore, even the teachers. They knew Chanyeol enough to know that the kid will never change his ways, because most of them already tried to, but to no avail.

Chanyeol was smart, well at least for him.

Most students would think that Chanyeol isn’t smart enough, but only the teachers know his true abilities. He’s actually good in technical writing and making compositions, but it seems that he’s too lazy to study, well at least that’s how the teachers look at him.

Chanyeol is very sociable. People actually want to be his friend, because he was considered very popular in this school.

“Mr. Park, please wake up” Their teacher, Ms. Kim said. She was actually new in this school, so she was one of those teachers who didn’t want to give up on her students that easily, because for her, everyone deserved second chances.

The lesson went on and on, until Ms. Kim asked a question. It seems that it was hard for the class, because none of them were answering. But to their surprise, a student raised his hand.

“It’s Nathaniel Hawthorne Ms. Kim” The student said.

“Very good Mr. Byun” She said. The other students weren’t actually surprised. Baekhyun was a very smart student, and that they can’t deny.

‘What a nerd’

‘He’s weird’

‘Teacher’s Pet’

The other students mumbled.

Baekhyun is well aware of what people think of him, but he doesn’t really care. People don’t like him because he’s smart and that Baekhyun can accept. As long as they don’t do anything that can harm him, then he’ll be fine with being alone.

Byun Baekhyun was the exact opposite of Park Chanyeol.

He was a book worm, because he was really fond of books.

No one actually liked him except for teachers, because he was a good student.

It was something he found very weird.

How can people hate someone who doesn’t even do much in class? Maybe it’s because of his silence that people actually find weird.

Baekhyun doesn’t have friends, none at all. There were some who tried talking to him, but after learning his social status in school, people don’t talk to him anymore.

And because people gave up that easily, he didn’t try to be sociable anymore.

He didn’t mind, he doesn’t care about anything.

For Byun Baekhyun, the only important thing is his brother and himself.

As soon as the bell rang, Baekhyun quickly arranged his things and rushed out of the door.

Chanyeol was about to leave as well, but Ms. Kim stopped him.

“Chanyeol, it has come to my attention that you are failing my class.”

“So?” Ms. Kim gave a small smile.

“So, if you fail, you repeat and if you repeat you won’t graduate.”

Chanyeol didn’t want to care, but he suddenly remembered his mom, the only person he cared about.

“What do I need to do?”

“Well, there’s this play we’ve been preparing for, and I want you to be the lead role.” She said. “It will be on December, so you have a lot of time to prepare.”

“What?” Chanyeol asked. “Why me?”

“Well Mr. Park, it’s the only thing I can think of to raise your grades. And-“

“And what?”

“I want you to ask help from Mr. Byun.”

“Byun? You mean that Baekhyun kid?” She nodded. “How about a no Ms. Kim? That kid is weird.”

“No buts Mr. Park” She pointed out. “He’s the best student in this class. He’s the perfect person in helping you run your lines.” Ms. Kim handed over the script to Chanyeol. “Now, you need to ace this if you want to pass. You may go” Ms. Kim took her things and walked out of the room.

Chanyeol groaned and dragged his feet out of the room. Not only did he have to do this stupid play, but he also had to find this Byun kid.

“So, what did Ms. Kim want Yeol?” Sehun asked. Chanyeol didn’t want anyone to know about the play or being tutored by Baekhyun.

“Nothing, she just told me to stop sleeping in class.” Chanyeol plainly replied.

“So, can we go home?” Kyungsoo asked. He and Chanyeol were a thing, but not officially. But everyone knows how Kyungsoo is the one in love with Chanyeol but the latter doesn’t really know if he feels the same way.

His peripheral vision suddenly spotted someone short in front of his locker, taking some books and placing some back.

“You guys go on ahead, I still have to return this book.” Chanyeol said. He rushed off because Baekhyun was already nowhere in sight.

“Book? Chanyeol doesn’t read.” Sehun joked.

“Maybe he does” Luhan said. The two linked hands and started to walk. “Kyung, let’s go!”

“Oh, right.” Kyungsoo slowly followed the two.

Baekhyun already left his locker, so Chanyeol had to find him. He wanted to talk him now, plus, there were students so talking to him will be easier.

As he walked passed through every hallway, he finally spotted the person he needed to talk to.

“Hey” Chanyeol said. Baekhyun slowly turned around. Chanyeol was expecting a big smile, but he thought otherwise.

“Yes?” Baekhyun asked.

“You’re Byun right?” He nodded. “Excellent. So Ms. Kim gave me this lead role in a play and she told me to ask help from you.”

“No” Baekhyun said and started walking again.

“No?” Chanyeol asked, following Baekhyun. “But why? Come on. I really need this.” Baekhyun suddenly stopped, making Chanyeol stop.

“Have you even scanned the script?” Baekhyun asked. Chanyeol didn’t even look at the front page.

“Yes”

“Then tell me, how will you die in the story?”

“Car crash” Chanyeol said.

“You haven’t read it yet” Chanyeol groaned and took Baekhyun’s wrist, pinning him to the wall.

“Look, this is so hard for me okay? Come on, just help me, please.”

“Are you sure you’re fine with this arrangement?” Baekhyun asked.

“I don’t have much of a choice” Chanyeol murmured. Baekhyun crossed his arms and gave Chanyeol a small smile.

“Fine, but I have three rules.” Baekhyun raised a finger “One, I’ll help you at my house, no other place.”

“Okay” Chanyeol said. At least he didn’t choose school, because Chanyeol didn’t want to be seen with this weird kid.

“Two, if you’re not at my house by 5, then don’t bother coming.” Baekhyun said. “And three” Baekhyun slowly leaned in, making Chanyeol a bit nervous. “Don’t fall in love with, okay?”

Chanyeol started to laugh, until his cheeks were aching. “Don’t flatter yourself.”

“So, do you agree?”

“Sure” Chanyeol casually said.

“We’ll start tomorrow” Baekhyun took out a small piece of paper and started to scribble something. “Here, that’s my address. Remember our deal okay?”

Baekhyun gave Chanyeol a small smile before exiting the building. He rushed to his brother’s car and the car quickly drove off.

‘That is one peculiar kid’ Chanyeol said.

But he still found himself smiling, and he doesn’t even know why. And maybe this Byun kid can make this play thing very interesting for him.

***

“Are you sure about this Baek?” Seokjin, his brother, asked. “That Chanyeol isn’t a safe person to be with.”

“Relax hyung, I’ll be fine. It’s only for extra credit.”

“Are you sure you’ll be fine Baek?”

“Yes hyung, I’ll be fine. It’ll only be for 2 months.” Seokjin sighed.

“Are you sure you can handle it Baek? I mean-“

“Hyung, I’ll be fine. Trust me, please?” Baekhyun said.

“Okay Baek, as long as that Chanyeol doesn’t do anything.” Baekhyun chuckled and shook his head.

“He won’t hyung”

Because he doesn’t care about people like me.

-8-

It’s been a month, a month of being unproductive and a waste of time. Why? Because Chanyeol rarely shows up for their sessions.

Sure, Chanyeol would come early, but he only came twice. He thought Chanyeol would be determined to perfect his role, but he thought otherwise.

The giant would always say he’s busy, he has something to do, he has to run an errand, to cut the story short, Baekhyun is getting tired of all these excuses.

And how sure was he that these were all excuses? Every time he was on his way home, he would see Chanyeol with his friends, going to random places.

And he acted like he didn’t care, at all, because if Chanyeol cared, why should he?

So maybe it was time he did something, because he was getting tired of all these lies. It’s already the last week of October and Chanyeol has not remembered a thing. The play is in December and Baekhyun isn’t sure if Chanyeol has time.

“Mr. Byun” Ms. Kim called. “How’s Mr. Park?”

“He’s...” Baekhyun bit his bottom lip. He wasn’t really sure if he should squeal, but since Chanyeol didn’t show any interest, he didn’t care at all. “He asked me for help, but he rarely shows up Ms. Kim.”

“Is that so?” She said, sighing out loud. “Maybe this was a bad idea. Do you still want to continue?”

“He’s the one who doesn’t want Ms. Kim, maybe it’s best if we stop.” Again, Ms. Kim sighed out loud, this time, with a hint of disappointment.

“Thanks for your time Mr. Byun, I’ll go talk to Mr. Park.”

It was later in lunch when Baekhyun was suddenly dragged inside an empty room.

“You told Ms. Kim I don’t show up?” Chanyeol said, almost shouting. Baekhyun wasn’t scared, because it is Chanyeol’s fault in the first place.

“What do you want me to do then? Tell her that you show up every day? That you’ve been practicing hard for your lines? That you haven’t been hanging out with your friends every single day?” Baekhyun said, in the most sarcastic way possible.

“You could’ve at least lied you weirdo.” Chanyeol suddenly said. He regretted the last part, because it was totally uncalled for. Baekhyun was just trying to help.

Baekhyun sighed. “I shouldn’t have asked Ms. Kim for you to be the lead role in my play, I’m sorry and thanks for at least trying. Sorry for being weird.” He walked out of the room, leaving Chanyeol with nothing but guilt.

‘Sorry for being weird’ Those words, they kept playing inside Chanyeol’s head. He took out the script and found Baekhyun’s name at the bottom of the front page. It was made by Baekhyun, and he doesn’t even know it.

‘Thanks for at least trying’ Hearing those words made him guiltier. He hasn’t been trying, not at all. He would make up these lame excuses just to avoid him.

At lunch, Chanyeol found Baekhyun sitting by himself at his usual spot. It was weird, because there was nothing really wrong with Baekhyun.

When he entered his house for the first time, it wasn’t that bad, it was actually very cozy inside their house and very comfortable.

Baekhyun was really fond of reading and judging from the books he saw at his house, he was right. It was easy for Baekhyun to help Chanyeol remember things, but it was him who wasn’t really trying.

Baekhyun was so eager and so determined to help him, but he was the one avoiding it.

“Hey, I have an idea” Sehun said. “Watch this” Sehun stood up and positioned himself behind the oblivious Baekhyun. Chanyeol was a bit confused, but realized what Sehun was about to do, and judging from the milk carton he was holding, this wasn’t going to end pretty. “Oops!” Sehun said, ‘accidentally’ dropping the milk carton on Baekhyun’s head.

Everyone in the cafeteria started to laugh, even some of the lunch ladies, but Chanyeol wasn’t really amused by this, in fact, he couldn’t understand how something like this could be funny.

While the people were busy laughing, Baekhyun didn’t bother to argue with Sehun or anyone for that matter. He gathered his things and rushed out of the cafeteria.

Maybe it was because of the guilt or something else, but Chanyeol wasn’t pleased with this, not at all. Even Kyungsoo was laughing.

“You find this funny?” Chanyeol asked, almost making what happened ridiculous.

“What?” Kyungsoo asked. “It was funny Yeol” Chanyeol shook his head in disappointment and rushed out to follow Baekhyun, leaving Kyungsoo, his friends, and everyone laughing there like the idiots they are.

Chanyeol found Baekhyun entering the bathroom. He walked towards the room and found Baekhyun washing his hair.

But Chanyeol knew it wasn’t really helping, so he took Baekhyun’s wrist and dragged him to the shower.

“Let go Chanyeol” Baekhyun said.

“Strip” Chanyeol ordered.

“Excuse me?”

“Just strip and enter the freaking shower Baekhyun, come on. I won’t do anything to you.”

“I’m fine Chanyeol. I-”

“Stop, stop acting like everything’s okay. Stop being nice to everyone, stop it. Can’t you see that they’re hurting you? And stop pushing people away. I’m trying to help you.”

“Pushing people away? Chanyeol, they find me different. And has anyone tried to even approach me? Did you ever think that? And here I thought I would actually find a friend in you, but after what you did, your friends did, I thought otherwise.”

For the first time in his life Baekhyun ran away. Not only from school, but from everyone in it.

Again, Baekhyun was right. Chanyeol was doing this out of guilt, because he feels that he owes Baekhyun an apology or something, but maybe that wasn’t what Baekhyun wanted.

All he needed was a friend.

But no one could even give it to him, because they were too busy looking at Baekhyun’s exterior, but never his personality. He was never the problem here, it was everyone else who’s wrong.

***

“I am seriously going to kill them Baek” Seokjin said.

“Hyung, it was just a prank.”

“A prank can lead to a serious injury Baek! You could’ve gotten hurt!” Seokjin said, enraged, angry, wanting to punch something.

“Relax hyung, no one got hurt.”

“I will go to your school tomorrow Baek, and that’s final.” Baekhyun sighed. There was no use arguing with an enraged Seokjin. A small knock was heard from their front door. Seokjin groaned and rushed to the front door. “What the hell are you doing here?”

Baekhyun peeked his head from the living room and found Chanyeol with Sehun.

“What are you hooligans doing here?” Seokjin asked in the most inhospitable way as possible.

“We came here to apologize. May we please come in?” Seokjin moved aside to that the two can enter.

“Well? Start apologizing then.” Seokjin said. Chanyeol literally pushed Sehun to the front so that he can apologize.

“Hey Baekhyun, I’m sorry for what happened earlier. It was stupid and I’m sorry for doing it.” Sehun said.

“It’s fine Sehun” Baekhyun said.

“If you do it again, I will kill you.” Seokjin said in a low, scary voice. “Okay, so, you done? You guys can leave now.”

“Can I please speak with Baekhyun, alone?”

“Alone? What for?” Seokjin asked.

“Hyung, it’s fine.” Baekhyun said reassuringly. Seokjin sighed and took Sehun by the ear.

“Fine, while you two talk, I’ll have a word with this brat.” Sehun was dragged to the kitchen. After they left, the two found themselves in a very awkward environment.

“I’m sorry for what he did”

“He already apologized for it Chanyeol, so it’s fine.” He said. “You don’t have to apologize anymore, it’s fine.”

“I didn’t actually come here to apologize Baek, I want you to give me another chance.” Baekhyun tilted his head and raised an eyebrow.

“For what Chanyeol?”

“I want to the play, and for real this time.” Chanyeol said. “I know I’ve been a stupid jerk and I’ve been nothing but a bone head, but please, let me try again.”

Baekhyun couldn’t really explain why he was smiling, all he knows that he finds this very amusing.

“Fine then, as long as you remember my rules, okay?”

“Deal, for real this time.” Chanyeol stood up. “We better get going then. Sehun, let’s go”

Sehun quickly appeared and dragged Chanyeol out of the house, not even giving the latter a chance to say good bye.

“What did you do to Sehun, hyung?” Baekhyun asked. Seokjin smirked and shook his head.

“Nothing really, I just told him that if he does do that again, I’ll deal with him using a rope and a sock.” And Baekhyun didn’t  bother anymore on how he would use that. “So, what did that giant say?”

“Well, he told me he’ll continue with the play but he still wants my help.”

“Are you sure Baek?”

“Hyung, it’s just practice, nothing more, nothing less.”

***

“Are you sure about this Chanyeol? I mean about the play thing?” Sehun asked.

“Of course and you better not tell anyone, okay? Or else I’ll bring you back to Baekhyun’s brother.” Sehun suddenly cringed. He will never return to that place. “It’s only a play, nothing wrong with it. Besides, Baekhyun requested me to be the lead. Did you know that he wrote that play?”

And Chanyeol couldn’t stop talking about Baekhyun. He would say how normal he is, how cozy their house was, how smart he is. He finally stopped when he noticed Sehun staring at him with a smirk.

“What?”

“Oh nothing” Sehun said with a smug. “I just think that you like this Baekhyun kid.”

“No I don’t.” Chanyeol said back. Sehun rolled his eyes, still giving Chanyeol that same smirk.

“Whatever you say Yeol boy.”

Chanyeol doesn’t like Baekhyun, he just finds him.... nice. That’s it, nice.

***

“Hey looks, there’s that Byun kid” A student said. “Hey kid, have some milk we can borrow?” The student shouted from the hallway, making the other students laugh at him.

Baekhyun ignored everyone, as usual. He doesn’t care about the name calling; he doesn’t care about the pranking; he doesn’t care about anyone else at all.

He was supposed to walk if too, like he usually does, but this one student had to make Baekhyun trip causing his books and himself to fall on the ground.

“Oops” The student said. “Sorry, loser.” Everyone continued their loud laughter. Standing up was hard for Baekhyun now, because he could feel this aching sensation on his right ankle.

He thought no one would bother to help him, but an unlikely person suddenly came and helped him up.

“Chanyeol” Baekhyun said.

“You okay?”

“I sprained my ankle, but it’s fine.” The laughter suddenly died down when the saw Chanyeol.

“No Baek, it’s not fine.” Chanyeol said. “If anyone of you touch Byun Baekhyun again, you’ll have to answer to me. Got it?” Chanyeol said, making a point that everyone would hear. The students literally ran and left the two.

“Thanks Chanyeol” Baekhyun said, giving him a small smile.

“Come on, let’s go to the clinic.”

“It’s fine Chanyeol”

“Baek, come on. Stop being arrogant.”

“It’s just a sprain” But before Baekhyun could even reason out more, he was quickly carried by Chanyeol. “Put me down!” But Chanyeol didn’t, instead, he started walking to the direction of the clinic.

“Oh, hey Yeol boy” Sehun said. “Hey Baekhyun, where are you guys going?” He asked.

“Clinic, he sprained his ankle.”

“Well, okay. I’ll see you guys at lunch.” Sehun said, leaving the two.

Because the clinic was still a few more rooms away, Baekhyun too this time to observe Chanyeol’s features.

“You have really big ears Chanyeol, and very circular eyes” Baekhyun mumbled out loud. “I mean.... I’m sorry, I didn’t mean too”

“It’s fine Baek, I get that a lot.” He said. “You have very small eyes you know, and very beautiful fingers.” Chanyeol added. “Here we are” Chanyeol pushed the door open and went inside.

“You can leave him here” The nurse said.

“But...”

“Go Chanyeol, you still have class. I’ll be fine.” Chanyeol sighed and exited the room. Before he left, he gave one more glance at Baekhyun.

***

Lunch finally came, and Baekhyun was still nowhere in sight.

“Yeah, Park Chanyeol, stop squirming.” Luhan said. “It’s making me uncomfortable.”

“You looking for someone Yeol?” Kyungsoo asked.

“Baekhyun” Chanyeol said in a whisper.

“Who?” Kyungsoo asked.

“Oh, there he is. Baek, over here!” Chanyeol signalled. When he noticed that Baekhyun was having a hard time walking, he stood up from his seat and rushed to aid him. “Careful now”

“Chanyeol, I’m not a child.” Baekhyun said as he pouted.

“I know, you’re a puppy.” Chanyeol teased. “Okay, so everyone, this is Baekhyun.”

“We know him Chanyeol” Luhan said, rolling his eyes. “We’re not stupid sheesh.”

“That’s Luhan” Chanyeol said. “You’ve met Sehun” Sehun gave him a small wave. “And that’s Kyungsoo.”

“Hey” Kyungsoo said, not in a very friendly way, but Baekhyun ignored it. He was used to this, people not liking him, and he was happy that Kyungsoo was honest enough show what he feels. “Don’t forget out movie date later Chanyeol”

“What movie date?” Chanyeol asked.

“You know, the one I told you about last week.” Kyungsoo said, but it seems that Chanyeol doesn’t really know what he was talking about.

“Oh, I’m sorry Kyungsoo, I can’t go. I have something to do this afternoon.” Sehun started to giggle but suddenly stopped because a certain giant stepped on his foot.

“Maybe tomorrow then?”

“I can’t, I’m actually busy the whole week. Sorry”

“What is so important that you can’t hang out for a week Chanyeol?” Kyungsoo was irritated, and the fact that Chanyeol was still holding Baekhyun’s hand made him even more annoyed.

“It’s none of your business” Chanyeol said, and from there, Kyungsoo fell silent. He glared at Chanyeol before leaving the table.

“I think you should go follow him Chanyeol” Baekhyun said.

“It’s fine, he’s just having another one of his mood swings.” Chanyeol said. “So, how’s your foot?”

“I’m fine, the nurse said I need to take extra care though.”

Luhan and Sehun gave each other glances before looking at the two again and it seems that they both have the same thing in mind.

Chanyeol likes Baekhyun.

-7-

Chanyeol is an easy person to teach, well at least for Baekhyun. Another month has passed and when Chanyeol said he would be serious about this, he was.

Chanyeol came every single day, without being late, and most of the times being early. As soon as Chanyeol entered his house, he would silent his phone, keep it in his bag and be focused on the play.

Baekhyun doesn’t know why he wanted Chanyeol to play the lead, but maybe it was his premonition that Chanyeol would be great for it.

With his husky voice and height, he was perfect to play the role.

Sometimes, Chanyeol would even stay later than their usual time because after practice, the two would end up sharing stories.

From these stories, Baekhyun learned that Chanyeol’s parents were legally divorced and his dad remarried, while he lived with his mom.

Chanyeol knows how to rap and play the guitar, something he showed Baekhyun.

Chanyeol also loves to eat, and he’s not picky with what he eats, as long as it’s edible.

All these stories made Baekhyun see Chanyeol in a different way, much different than how he looked at Chanyeol before.

He wasn’t that quiet, popular, rude Chanyeol, he was just plain, old Chanyeol.

But this is what Baekhyun feared. He was getting close to Chanyeol, not only him, but also some of his friends. Baekhyun was already set, he already accepted his fate, but destiny decided that he should meet these people.

Seokjin reminded him every single day that he should be careful, but all those warnings were set aside, because Baekhyun found himself falling.

He found himself falling in love with Park Chanyeol.

***

The day of the play has finally arrived and Chanyeol was nervous as hell. He eventually told his friends about this play and as he expected, he was laughed at. He didn’t care though, because he feels different now.

Something inside him changed and it was all because of Baekhyun.

It was a bit tragic, how Baekhyun lost his parents.

They were on their way to an amusement park, when a truck suddenly ran over them. It wasn’t luck that saved Baekhyun, it was his parents. On the last minute, Mrs. Byun suddenly hugged Baekhyun tight while Mr. Byun covered them. The two died on the spot, while Baekhyun was only injured.

Baekhyun had a great voice, something Chanyeol really admired. Hearing him sing made everything feel peaceful.

Seokjin is the only one left now, so Chanyeol understood why Baekhyun’s brother was so protective when it came to him.

“Hey”

“Oh, hey Baek. How do I look?” Chanyeol asked. Baekhyun smiled and gave him two thumbs up.

“Very ravishing Yeol”

“Why thank you Mr. Byun” Chanyeol added.

“Baekhyun”

“What is it Youngjae?”

“Jongdae, he can’t make it. He has a sore throat and after hearing him through the phone, it seems that it won’t get better until next week.” He said. “What do we do?”

“Is there a problem?” Ms. Kim asked, seeing their worried faces.

“Jongdae can’t make it.” Baekhyun said. “What do we do Ms. Kim?”

Chanyeol suddenly had a bright idea.

“Let Baekhyun sing the last song.” Chanyeol said.

“What? No! Stop it Chanyeol.” Baekhyun said, pushing the giant away.

“No, he’s an impeccable singer Ms. Kim, he made this play, so he knows every detail about it. You should let him sing.”

“No Ms. Kim, he doesn’t know what he’s talking about.”

“Well, we have no time to find another person Baekhyun, so we’ll have to go with Chanyeol said. Go get him the costume.” Youngjae nodded and left. “I need to go now, good luck Baekhyun.”

“Chanyeol, I can’t do this.” Baekhyun said. Chanyeol cupped his face to calm him down.

“You’ll be fine Baek, trust me.” And those words seem to help, because Baekhyun did calm down. “You’ll be great Baek”

“Baek, I need you for make-up.” Youngjae said, dragging Baekhyun away from Chanyeol.

***

The play was going great.

Every time Chanyeol would forget a line, he would improvise and make another one, but Ms. Kim didn’t mind at all, since everything Chanyeol said was appropriate.

Baekhyun held his hand, very tight, because he was nervous. This was the first time he would stand in front of a lot of people and he’s even going to sing.

But every time his nerves would get the best of him, Chanyeol’s words would suddenly play in his mind.

“You’ll be fine Baek, trust me.”

And when he was given the cue, Baekhyun took a deep breath and entered the stage. He found his brother with a camera in hand, making Baekhyun smile.

“It’s you” Chanyeol said.

“Yes, it’s me.” Baekhyun said.

“How is this possible? You’re dead.” Chanyeol said, delivering his lines well.

“And you are not?” Baekhyun asked. He was surprised to where all this acting was coming from.

“I’m dead?” Chanyeol asked. Baekhyun nodded and slowly walked across the stage. “Don’t you remember? You died because you protected the one you loved from dying.” Baekhyun stopped. “Why? Why did you do that? She cheated on you, yet you still saved her.”

“Because I love her” Chanyeol said. “I love her, no matter what she did. I love her.”

“How can you love someone so evil? Someone so weak? Someone so selfish?” Ms. Kim ran through Baekhyun’s lines again, because that wasn’t in the script.

Chanyeol, who was taken aback with the sudden changes, decided to follow Baekhyun, who was starting to talk about himself.

“What she did was wrong, but no matter how weak she is, I will love her, forever and always.” Chanyeol said, who’s starting to think that maybe this was getting out of hand. Baekhyun finally stopped and went back to his original lines.

“Well, I see that you’ve already accepted your fate. Then, let me welcome you to heaven.”

The lights dimmed and a spotlight was given to Baekhyun. The music started and Baekhyun walked around the stage.

Baekhyun couldn’t really explain it, how he had the courage to sing, but he’s glad that he did. How he wished this would last forever. If he could only stop time, he would.

This was all thanks to Chanyeol.

That giant has brought Baekhyun out of his comfort zone, and maybe, it was time he did.

Thinking about Chanyeol makes him happy, even if it’s just a small smile, it makes him very happy.

He was in love.

But that is something he wanted to avoid, to feel any kind of love or attachment to someone.

But he couldn’t help it anymore, he was in love.

Chanyeol watched as Baekhyun continued to sing, but this time, looking at him gave Chanyeol a new feeling, something he feels that has been missing for a long time in his life now.

Love.

He can finally admit it, he was in love with Baekhyun and he was happy that Baekhyun came into his life.

Baekhyun stopped singing, and the play was finally finished. The curtains fell down and loud applauses can be heard from the audience. The curtains were pulled again to give the actors one last bow.

They walked in pairs, each of them giving their own bows. Baekhyun and Chanyeol walked, hand in hand, giving everyone a bow.

Kyungsoo, who was sitting by the audience, couldn’t take his eyes off those entwined hands.

And from that point on, he knew there was something going on between them.

***

“Great job everyone!” Ms. Kim shouted. “Thank you guys so much for putting out a wonderful play.” She added and gave a big smile to Baekhyun. “And to our play writer, and one of the lead actors, Mr. Byun Baekhyun, thank you very much.”

Everyone started to applaud for him, making Baekhyun feel a bit embarrassed yet contented at the same time. There were a lot of firsts for him today, but he was glad he did step out of his comfort zone.

“Thank you” He said, eyes gazing at Chanyeol’s. The other took both of his hands and gave them a small kiss.

“You were great Baek, I told you so.”

“Thank you so much Chanyeol”

Chanyeol was about to kiss them again, but Baekhyun’s brother had to ruin the moment.

“Excuse me” Seokjin said. His brother gave him a very big hug, swinging him from side to side. “You were great baby brother, I’m so proud of you.”

“Thanks hyung”

“So, can we go now? You need some rest.”

“Of course hyung, I am feeling a bit tired.” Seokjin suddenly changed expressions.

“Are you okay? Can you walk? Do you want me to bring you to the hospital?”

“Hyung, it’s not that.” Baekhyun said.

“It’s not what?” Chanyeol asked.

“It’s nothing Chanyeol” Baekhyun said, not wanting to talk about it any further. “Well, we need to go.”

“I’ll go get the car okay?” Seokjin walked passed through the crowd and quickly made his way to their car.

“See you in class Chanyeol” Baekhyun said. He was about to walk Baekhyun out of the door, but someone had stopped him.

“Yeol, you were great!” Kyungsoo shouted. “Come on, let’s go eat. My treat!”

“Okay Kyung, just give me-“ But Baekhyun was already by the door, and walking pass through it.

“Yeol, is there a problem?”

“Baekhyun” Chanyeol mumbled.

“Baekhyun?” Chanyeol was taken aback with what he said and shook his head quickly.

“It’s nothing Kyung” He said.

“Oh, well then come on.” Kyungsoo knew something was up and it had something to do with that Baekhyun. Chanyeol was his right? And he plans to make it clear to everyone.

***

“Hey Baekhyun”

“Good morning Baekhyun!”

“It’s Baekhyun, he’s the one who sand last night. Isn’t he cool?”

For the rest of the morning, that’s how Baekhyun’s day was going. People were actually noticing him which was another first for him.

He was actually fine with people not noticing him, but he wouldn’t be able to stop it even if he tried, people liked his performance.

“Hey Baekhyun” Sehun said. “Chanyeol wants to see you at lunch, he said he has a surprise for you.”

“Really?” Baekhyun asked.

“Yeah, so I’ll see you then?” Baekhyun nodded and gave him a smile. “I’ll see you at lunch okay?” With that, Sehun left.

Baekhyun hugged the book he was holding even tighter than before, and for the first time in his life, he felt excited for the surprise, especially when it’s from Chanyeol.

And lunch time actually came pretty quick. Baekhyun took his belongings and made his way to the cafeteria.

He scanned the room, not seeing any sign of a giant with a pair of big ears.

“Baekhyun, over here!” Sehun shouted. Baekhyun wasn’t sure if he should walk over, but they were Chanyeol’s friends. He made his way to their table.

“Where’s Chanyeol?” Baekhyun asked to Sehun.

“We don’t actually know. Kyungsoo said Chanyeol texted him that he wants to meet you here for a surprise.”

“What could of surprise could Chanyeol possible pull off?” Luhan said, rolling his eyes.

“Actually” Kyungsoo stood up and stood behind Baekhyun. “Chanyeol specifically told me to give you this.” Kyungsoo took a big cake from the box. Sehun and Luhan were a bit surprised. They never knew Chanyeol was that type of person.

But little that they know it was all Kyungsoo’s plan.

Kyungsoo smirked. Instead placing the cake on the table, he dropped it on Baekhyun’s head, and this time, he made sure it was on purpose.

“Look everyone, Baekhyun doesn’t know how to eat cake.” Kyungsoo shouted, gaining the attention of the other students, who started to laugh at Baekhyun.

“What the hell Kyungsoo?” Sehun shouted.

“What are you doing Do Kyungsoo?” Luhan exclaimed. “Did Chanyeol tell you to do that?”

“Oh yes, my Chanyeol told me to give Baekhyun some cake  and he asked me to place it on Baekhyun’s head.”

So, it was too good to be true. Baekhyun thought.

Tears quickly streamed down his pale cheeks. He started to breathe heavily. People were laughing at him, there was cake on his head, and he felt so trapped, so contained.

Baekhyun was so afraid that he suddenly found himself being dragged to the shower by Sehun and Luhan.

Luhan ordered Baekhyun to sit, and so he did. Sehun took a wet towel and handed it over to Luhan.

“I’m sorry for what Kyungsoo did Baekhyun” Sehun said.

“It was very wrong, we apologize in behalf of him.” Luhan gently wiped the cake off Baekhyun’s hair. “Sehun, go get some dry clothes. I have some extra in my locker.” Sehun rushed out of the door. “I know this is a bit anticlimactic, but I’m Luhan.”

Baekhyun just nodded and he silently cried.

“It was too good to be true” Baekhyun mumbled.

“What?”

“Chanyeol doesn’t like me does he?”

“Baekhyun, no. That’s not true.”

“Maybe he just used me so he can pass.” Everything he said tasted to bitter.

“He isn’t like that Baekhyun.”

“Here’s the dry clothes you asked for.” Sehun said.

“Come on Baek, go change.” Luhan said, handing the clothes to Baekhyun. He stood up and entered a fitting room. “Would you really think Chanyeol would ask Kyungsoo to do that?”

“I don’t think so, I mean you know Kyungsoo. He can be very impulsive sometimes.”

“Can you please take me home?” Baekhyun asked.

“Are you sure Baek?” Sehun asked while Baekhyun nodded. “Well, you do look a bit pale. Come on, let’s get you a permission slip from the nurse.”

***

As soon as Baekhyun got home, he rushed to Seokjin and cried. This was all too painful for him and everything he believed in was all destroyed.

***

Chanyeol was absent yesterday because of this stupid migraine.

He still has, but he wanted to see Baekhyun.

It was weird, because Chanyeol felt different, he feels that he became a better person when Byun Baekhyun entered his life.

And maybe it was for the best.

But to his disappointment, Baekhyun was nowhere to be seen.

As he walked through the hall, he overheard some students saying the name of the person he was looking for.

“That Byun kid got it good yesterday.” One of them said.

“That Kyungsoo guy was so dope for doing so.” One of the added.

What happened yesterday? Chanyeol thought to himself. He continued walking and looked for his friends for some answers.

“Yo Sehun!” Chanyeol shouted.

“What is it Yeol?”

“What happened yesterday?”

“Didn’t you know? I thought you texted Kyungsoo to give Baekhyun some cake?”

“Well I did actually, did he?”

“Did you ask him to drop it on his head too?” Sehun asked, a bit colder this time.

“What? Why would I do that?” Chanyeol said, suddenly realizing what Kyungsoo had done. He took a deep breath and massaged his aching temples. “Where the hell is Kyungsoo?”

Sehun pointed at some direction to where Kyungsoo was standing.

“Hold this” Chanyeol gave his bag to Sehun before walking up to Kyungsoo. “Hey”

“Oh hey Chanyeol, feeling any better?” But instead of answering, he took Kyungsoo by the collar, carried him and pinned him to the lockers, causing a loud noise to be heard. “Chanyeol, what the hell?”

“What did you do to Baekhyun?” Chanyeol asked. This was the best he can do, and believe it or not, he was controlling his anger right now. The other students gasped and a small crowd started to form.

“What are you saying Chanyeol?” Kyungsoo said, trying to break free from the other, but his attempts failed.

“Why did you do that?” Chanyeol asked, a bit louder this time. “What the hell is your problem huh?”

“He’s stealing you away from me Chanyeol!” Kyungsoo exclaimed.

“I was never your property Do Kyungsoo.” Chanyeol said.

“Chanyeol, that’s enough.” Luhan and Sehun said, pulling Chanyeol away from Kyungsoo. He dropped Kyungsoo on the floor and took his bag from Sehun.

“You disgust me” Chanyeol said, before walking away. Sehun and Luhan helped Kyungsoo stand up, but after that, they also left.

-6-

Another month has passed and Baekhyun was back to his old self again. He ignored people again, like he used to.

He acted like he’s invisible, like he used to.

And again, he was alone, like he used to be.

Chanyeol tried talking to him, in every single was possible, but he would ignore and turn him down.

And it pained him even more.

But, he feels that he doesn’t have much time left, and he’s happy that at least he had some memories with the other.

Please, give me more time.

***

Chanyeol was a mess.

Baekhyun doesn’t talk to him anymore.

And he blames himself for it.

He should’ve been there to protect Baekhyun.

He should’ve been there to comfort him.

He should’ve been there all along.

But now, Baekhyun doesn’t even talk to him.

That one person, that one small person who he never even knew, was the biggest part of his life, and that person is quickly drifting away.

“Chanyeol?”

“Come in”

“Hey man” Sehun said.

“Hey Chanyeol” Luhan followed.

“What are you guys doing here?” Chanyeol asked.

“Well, Luhan here has something to say.”

“Do you like Baekhyun?” Luhan asked. “No, scratch that, do you love him?”

“I do, I really do.” Chanyeol closed his eyes and threw himself to bed.

“Then why aren’t you doing anything about it?”

“He’s still angry at me Luhan.”

“Be that as it may, you should at least try a bit more, because...”

Chanyeol cocked an eyebrow and faced Luhan. “Because?”

“Luhan here thinks Baekhyun loves you back.”

“How’d you know?”

“I just know Yeol, and you know me, once have this feeling, it’s usually right.”

“And it is” Sehun chuckled.

“So, come on. Talk to him, by the way he glances at you during lunch, I know that he misses you too.”

“Go to him Yeol, as in now.” Sehun said, encouraging the other. Chanyeol stood up and nodded.

“Thanks guys”

***

“He doesn’t want to talk to you” Seokjin said.

“Please, just let me talk to him. I know I’ve been stupid, but please, just this once, let me see him.” For a moment, Seokjin just stood there, but after a while, he sighed and nodded.

“You have 30 minutes, he’s up in his room.” Chanyeol gave him a big smile before running upstairs. He stopped in front of the door and fixed himself first.

“Baekhyun?” Chanyeol slowly opened the door.

“Chanyeol?”

“Hey” Chanyeol said, waving his hand. But Baekhyun suddenly turned around, his back facing Chanyeol.

“What do you want?”

“I came here to apologize Baek, I’m sorry, I’m sorry for what Kyungsoo did, I’m sorry for not being there to protect you, and I’m sorry because...”

It didn’t seem like it, but Baekhyun was actually listening, very well.

“I’m sorry because I broke rule number 3.” Baekhyun was taken aback. Chanyeol still remembered his rules, even though they don’t apply anymore.

“What did you say?” Baekhyun said, now facing Chanyeol.

“I broke rule number 3.”

“What is rule number 3 Chanyeol?” The giant slowly approached Baekhyun, until they were only inches apart.

“To never fall in love with you. I tried not to, but you weren’t as it seems. You’re perfect Baek, from your smile, to your laugh, your beautiful hands, that mole found on your upper lip, everything.” Chanyeol suddenly leaned in and gave him a kiss. “I love you Baekhyun, I really do.”

Baekhyun couldn’t hide it anymore. The kiss electrified him, and Chanyeol’s honesty made him very guilty.

“I love you too Chanyeol, you’re the only person who actually never gave up on me. But what about Kyungsoo?”

“I don’t love him Baek, I love you.”

“Are you sure you love me? I mean, I’m that weird kid no one ever wanted.”

“You’re not weird Baek, you’re just unique. And I love you.”

“Okay fine, I get it Yeol. Stop it, you’re making me too embarrassed.”

“So, are we...”

“Yes, we are.” Baekhyun chuckled and this time, gave Chanyeol a long kiss on the lips.

-5-

They’ve been going out for a month now, and they could both say that they’re happy.

Chanyeol never thought he would love this boy, this small boy sleeping next to him.

The boy who looked like an angel when he sang.

The boy who acted like a wallflower, seeing things, but not really saying anything about them.

The boy who was Byun Baekhyun

And that’s why Chanyeol fell in love with this boy, because he was special, for some reason he couldn’t really explain.

And he was happy, that this boy next to him, was his.

Seokjin had a hard time accepting this, because he didn’t want his little brother going off with someone like Chanyeol, but, because it was Baekhyun’s wish, he had no choice.

“Stop staring Chanyeol, it’s rude.” Baekhyun said, eyes still closed.

“Sorry Baek, you’re just too beautiful.”

“Stop being greasy Chanyeol and try to sleep.”

“Fine, but first” Chanyeol leaned in and gave a quick peck on the other’s lips. “There”

-4-

“Hey Baek, what do you want for dinner?” Seokjin asked. He knocked again and called for his brother again. When he wasn’t answering, he quickly went inside and found Baekhyun on the floor. “Baek!”

“Hyung?”

“Oh my god Baek, let me take you to the hospital.”

“Hyung, stop. It’s another fever.”

“Baek, let’s at least try something.” Seokjin said, almost pleading.

“Hyung, it’s too late. Come on, just help me up.”

“No , you are going to stay in bed, while I make you dinner okay?” Seokjin carefully placed Baekhyun on his bed and tucked him in. He kissed the other’s forehead before rushing out of the room.

Please, please give me more time.

-3-

As the months passed by, Chanyeol and Baekhyun’s relationship grew stronger each day.

They would go on countless dates, and watch movies. They would eat endlessly, and Chanyeol learned that Baekhyun’s favourite dessert was ice cream, so that was almost a regular thing to be eaten.

But as time passes by, Chanyeol can see the change in Baekhyun, physically.

He would notice how Baekhyun would get tired to easily, how having a fever was a regular thing for him, and how he would bleed easily.

With all this in mind, he was suddenly afraid, afraid that the boy he loved was sick, but he doesn’t want to jump to any conclusions.

He decided to check the internet regarding the things he noticed.

And as he continued his search, things were starting to get a bit clearer.

The fatigue, how he easily bleeds and the fevers, they weren’t normal and it all came down to one illness.

Chanyeol ran outside. He was about to enter his car when he noticed a familiar figure by their gate.

“Chanyeol!” Baekhyun shouted. He quickly ran to the gate and opened it. “Hey Yeol, I brought some cake for us to eat.”

For a moment, Chanyeol just stared at Baekhyun’s stature.

“Yeol, is there something wrong?”

“You have leukaemia” Chanyeol said. “Please tell me I’m wrong” He said. “You’re joking right? Right?”

“Yeol, I...” Baekhyun said, trying his best not to break down. “I do, I do have leukaemia.”

“How bad is it?”

“It’s in the terminal stage Chanyeol”

“Why didn’t you tell me?” Chanyeol asked, almost shouting.

“I was going to tell you today Yeol”

“Why? Why didn’t you tell me? We could’ve done something!”

“I stopped responding to treatment Yeol, like my body’s rejecting it already.”

Everything suddenly clicked. Besides the symptoms, he suddenly realized why Seokjin was always over protective when it came to Baekhyun.

“You should’ve told me sooner Baek” Chanyeol said, voice breaking.

“It was hard for me to do so Chanyeol. I mean, before you came, I already accepted my fate. I was already prepared, but then you came along and it became harder for me to tell you.”

“Let’s at least try something dammit!” Chanyeol shouted, kicking the gate.

“I’m sorry Chanyeol, I’m sorry.” Baekhyun turned around and quickly ran away.

***

“Oh, hello Chanyeol” The girl said. “Honey, Chanyeol’s here!”

“Chanyeol, what are you doing here?”

“My boyfriend has cancer dad, can you help him?”

“I don’t know Chanyeol. I mean, I have to look at his files and all his findings-“ Chanyeol cut him off.

“Forget it, I knew you wouldn’t be able to help me.” Chanyeol walked away and entered his car before driving away.

As soon as he got home, he quickly went to his room and slammed the door. He threw himself to bed before breaking down.

“Chanyeol, honey, what’s wrong? Why are you crying? Are you hurt?”

“Mom, Baekhyun, he...” He said. “He has terminal leukaemia” She didn’t know what to say, because things will never get better, especially with Baekhyun’s case. “What do I do mom? What can I do?”

She wrapped her arms around Chanyeol. “The only thing we can do is pray honey, and hope.”

-2-

By this time, Baekhyun had frequent visits to the hospital and those visits led to him being confined in one.

He was never fond of hospitals, not only because of the smell, but also because of what happens in them. But it was Chanyeol’s and Seokjin’s persuasion that brought him here.

Luhan and Sehun visited on the first day, and they were pretty devastated when they knew about his condition.

He suddenly noticed the person next to him, who was holding his hand all the while.

“He’s been here for two days now Baek” Seokjin said. “He must really love you Baek”

Baekhyun gave him a weak smile. “Hyung”

“What is it Baekhyun?”

“Remember Jungkook?”

“Of course, he’s the barista by that coffee shop we always go to right? Why?”

“He told me he likes you”

“Really?” Seokjin said, half shocked, half flattered. “You should call him sometime. I don’t want you to get lonely when I’m gone hyung.”

Something inside Seokjin broke, like he couldn’t breathe, like there was something heavy inside his chest.

“Don’t say that Baek, please.” Seokjin took Baekhyun’s free hand.

“Hyung, I thought we already talked about this?”

“I will never be ready Baek, never.” Seokjin took Baekhyun’s hand.

“Stop crying hyung”

“I can’t Baek, I just can’t.”

“I love you hyung, so much.”

“I love you more little brother, so much more.” Seokjin said.

***

After spending a whole week in the hospital, Baekhyun requested that he should just stay at home. Seeing that it would make his brother happy, Seokjin agreed.

“We’re just waiting for the permit from the nurse, then we can go.” Seokjin said. The door creaked. They thought it was the nurse, but instead, it was Chanyeol with Kyungsoo. “What is he doing here?”

“I wanted to talk to Baekhyun personally” Kyungsoo said. “Can you please give us a moment?”

“How about a now? Yah! Park Chanyeol, let me go!” Seokjin said, trying to stop Chanyeol from dragging him out of the room, but with no luck.

“What is it?”

“I just want to apologize Baekhyun. What I did was a ty thing, and I’m really sorry for doing it. I mean, I was jealous. So I’m really sorry.”

“It’s fine Kyungsoo, let the past be the past. Too bad, we could’ve been best friends.”

“We can still be best friends Baek, if you want.”

“I would be delighted Kyung” Baekhyun said.

-1-

Baekhyun grew weaker each day. But he had to be strong, for his brother, his friends and for Chanyeol.

They were at Baekhyun’s room, enjoying each other’s warmth, something Baekhyun would really miss.

“Hey Baek”

“Yes Yeol?”

“Do you love me?”

“Of course I love you Chanyeol”

“Then marry me” Baekhyun sat up, head turning to Chanyeol. The other also sat up and took out a small box. He opened it and took out the ring. “Will you marry me Byun Baekhyun?”

“Of course Park Chanyeol” Baekhyun said. “Of course I’ll marry you.”

-0-

“Hey Chanyeol”

“Hey hyung”

“Came to visit Baekhyun again I see.”

“Of course hyung” Chanyeol said. “Do you miss him?”

“So much Yeol, so much. And I take it you miss him too?”

“There was never a day I forgot about him.” Chanyeol said. “How are you and Jungkook?”

“We’re fine, he’s going to live with me from now on.” Seokjin said.

“Well, I better take my leave hyung, I still have to go to work.” Chanyeol said.

“Of course Dr. Park” They both chuckled. “Before you go, Baekhyun made this for you before he left us.” Seokjin handed a pink envelope to Chanyeol. “I better go ahead.”

“I’ll see you soon hyung”

Chanyeol sat on the grass before opening the letter.

My love,

I wrote this letter for you because I don’t actually know when I’m going to leave, but looking at it, I think I’m leaving soon. I made this letter because I wanted to thank you Chanyeol, thank you for being my sun, who always brightened my day.

Thank you for being wall, a strong wall, even stronger than the great wall of China, who I can always lean onto.

Thank you for being Chanyeol, who never failed to made me happy.

I’m sorry if I have to leave you, but I never questioned anyone why this had to happen to me.

You are the biggest change in my life, something I wish I could’ve had a little longer.

If you find someone else, please don’t hesitate to do so. You should move on Chanyeol, you shouldn’t stop living.

I love you so much Park Chanyeol, forever and always.

Park Baekhyun

The tears couldn’t stop again, and the pain in his chest was becoming unbearable.

Baekhyun left, but Chanyeol never questioned anyone too.

All he did was make his husband happy, and he made sure he was, every single day that they were together.

Chanyeol stood up and cleaned himself.

I love you too Baekhyun, forever and always. I miss you my love, please watch over me okay?


-Fin-