1: The Assignment

(He's) The Damsel in Distress!

When I was young, kids from my class called me alien because I looked different, I acted different – I was different.

 

Of course, when you come from a multi-ethnic family, you get that a lot. My dad came from the US to Korea to take over the post as US ambassador, and here was where he met my mom. Soon after, they got married and as the story goes, my sister and I were born.

 

That was our happy ending until one day, some random drunk driver did the infamous hit-and-run, leaving me the only person alive in the family. I must’ve known what happened because I was seven and fairly aware of the surroundings, but I seem to have been traumatized because I can’t remember a thing.

 

Since then, I’ve been in the complete care of my aunt, my mom’s sister. She sent me to school where I ended up being the ‘alien’ of the class because I was an orphan. And if that wasn’t enough, I also had an odd Korean accent which made it hard for kids to understand what I was trying to say. By middle school, my half-Caucasian, half-Asian look had given me the nickname ‘plastic-surgery’ kid.

 

Looking back now, I feel very strongly that being singled out was the best thing that happened to me. Thanks to the constant bullying, I didn’t enjoy school the way normal girls would have. Instead of playing Barbie’s, I picked up G.I. Joe’s and played with miniature Tonka trucks. I also found happiness uncommon hobbies like solving mind games, watching mystery and thriller series, and solving problems which involved observation and critical thinking.

 

Before I even knew it, I was on my way to becoming a secret agent.

 


 

[200% - Akdong Musician]

 

Riiiiiiiing!!!

 

I woke up to the angry ringing of my old-fashioned manual alarm clock. I groggily used my hands to search through my mahogany bedside table and turn the damned thing off.

 

“Mwo…” I muttered with my eyes half-open. I slowly rose up from the bed, my head spinning as I begin to remember Chief Yang’s assignment from yesterday.

 

Checking my surroundings, I sighed. It wasn’t a dream. I can see my forcefully packed luggage which meant Chief Yang’s words to me yesterday were no joke: I really am going to the Philippines to baby-sit some multi-billionaire family who was going to make more money.

 

Why is this my job? I am a secret agent at Korea’s National Protection Agency— an elite, undercover agency which was formed to give protection to high-profile and influential families and personalities. KNPA gathers the cream of the crop in the national police force for this service alone because believe it or not, being rich in Korea meant constant death threats and suicide attempts.

 

As for now, my assignment (unluckily) is to take care of the Choi family, the real estate chaebol who are planning to expand to the Philippines. It’s going to be my first time in a totally foreign country. While they may speak the English language fluently, I’m just not the travelling kind. In fact, I walk to work! Car crash, remember?

 

From: Chief Yang

Don’t be late. Report to me at the airport by 7 am.

 

Jeez, this geezer. Does he think I won’t do the mission if he’s not there to see me off?

 

From: Park, Bom

That won’t be necessary, sir. I’ve understood the situation from your briefing yesterday.

 

I need to take a bath.

 

From: Chief Yang

I’ve added some information. See you at the airport.


 

I arrived at the Incheon airport at 7 am sharp. Truth be told, this is my first time to ride a common airplane, as I am used to our military jets when conducting other missions. I searched for Chief Yang who gave me the heads up to see him before I depart.

 

[2ne1 - Crush]

 

“Officer Park.” Chief Yang called, motioning me to come close to the waiting area where he was seated with two other agents. One was dressed in leather, with long blonde hair and cat like eyes. The other was a young woman wearing baggy jeans and a tank top, she had a bob-cut dark hair with red highlights. I’m assuming the blonde one is Lee Chae-rin, and the other is Gong Minzy, the two officers going with me to the Philippines. “I’d like you to meet our two newest officers, Officer Lee and Officer Gong.”

 

“Annyeongseyo, Officer Park.” Minzy bowed shyly, while Chae-rin gave me a hand shake.

 

“Pleasure working with you Officer Park, I’ve heard so much about the legendary agent.” Chae-rin said confidently, arrogantly if I may judge.

 

“Pleasure.” I rolled my eyes.

 

“Now, now, you’ve got plenty of time for cat fights when you arrive in the Philippines.” Chief Yang noticed the tension in the hangar. “I’ve called you three here to brief you of your roles for your assignment. You are to protect the Choi family at all cost, but you are not to reveal your identities as secret agents.”

 

“Mwo? And why is that?” I asked curiously. “I’ve never been in a mission wherein my own clients don’t know I’m there to protect them.”

 

“Intelligence has found that there are some terrorist groups who have heard of undercover agents coming in with the Chois, they are sniffing out who to avoid.” Chief Yang explained. “We’ve increased security because of this information so don’t worry. You may see some agents that you know but in any case, unless absolutely necessary, you are to keep your identity to yourselves. As such, I’ve given you new identities for your stay.”

 

“And what would that be?” Lee Chae-rin asked.

 

“Park Bom, being the senior agent in this group, I want you to be closest to Mr. Choi. I’ve arranged for you to be his executive secretary together with Agent Lee Chae-rin. For your convenience, we’ve assigned Agent Park Sandara as the president’s official translator. She can help you talk with the Filipino locals if you should need help. Agent Gong Minzy, you are to be a public relations officer so you will be working closely with Agent Park Sandara. Here are your company i.d’.s”

 

“Chief, wouldn’t it be weird that the president suddenly has new staffs? What happened to his old executive secretaries?” I asked logically.

 

“This is only a business visit, so most of his staffs will be staying in Korea. The president will be bringing his two sons, Choi Dong-wook, the CFO of the company, and Choi Seung-hyun…. Well he doesn’t work for the company yet but he will be shadowing his father to learn about the business. Other key personalities in this visit are Kwon Ji-yong, the young prodigy the president hired as senior manager for business development, Lee Seung-hyun or Seung-ri, the innovative general manager for Philippine businesses, and Dong Young-bae, the overall public relations manager of the company.”

 

The chief handed us out booklets containing employee information, our roles, and other such paraphernalia needed for us to blend in our job.

 

Goodness, is this really happening?

 

“So how are we supposed to explain to him how we got hired just in time for his venture to the Philippines?” Minzy asked.

 

“You won’t need to, because he was looking for new staff to go with him.” Chief continued. “Trust me, we’ve got everything worked out for you, all you have to worry about is the Choi family and keeping your identities a secret.”

 

Somehow, I feel like those are not the only things I need to worry about.


 

We were already inside the first-class private plane, and boy, I could hear my inner scrooge screaming jackpot! We were a group of ten people in this sixty seater plane fit for kings and queens! We’ve got the ratio of one flight attendant is to one passenger, it seems! And my oh my, look at how big and cozy my seat is! It’s like one of those time capsules they show you on movies!

 

Focus Bom, do NOT get lured to the life of the rich. Would you like to get death threats on a daily basis?

 

“Sajangnim, I’d like to introduce you to Ms. Park Bom and Ms. Lee Chae-rin, your two new executive secretaries designated for this business trip.” A tall guy with chinky, almost non-existent eyes said to the president, who looked like he couldn’t be more disinterested in what was going on.

 

That’s Kang Dae-sung, one of the best officers in the agency. Rumor has it that he sports those chinky eyes to prevent people from knowing what’s really in his head. So far, it has worked. After his first assignment, he was moved to assistant team leader for our international division.

 

“Annyeong haseyo, sajangnim.” Lee Chae-rin and I bowed in unison.

 

“What’s first on my schedule when we arrive?” the president asked sternly.

 

Oh shoot, I haven’t read his schedule yet.

 

“Sajagnim, you will be arriving at around 10 am and will go directly to the National Housing Conference as guest speaker. Here is your speech.” Chae-rin spoke flawlessly as I swallowed by saliva. Nice save by Ms. Cat Eyes, but I still don’t like her. “Afterwards, you will be meeting with Mr. Rodriguez, regarding a property offer for a 10 hectare land in the outskirts of the business capital.”

 

The president nodded, but asked no more. “Dong-wook, where is Seung-hyun?”

 

He looked towards his left where a young man, perhaps in his late twenties, with that perfect jaw line, round eyes and sharp nose…

 

Omo, omo, omo, what did I tell you about focusing Bom?! You can’t look at clients that way?

 

But he’s so infinitely handsome and y and ravishing and….

 

ARGH! Leave it! 

 

“He said he’ll follow with his own plane.” he answered with his angelic voice. He glanced at me for one second, and I could feel my heart melt like a scoop of ice cream on a hot summer day.

 

Wait, they have two awesome private planes?! Choi Dong-Wook, marry me please!

 

“Ah, someone should handle his schedule. You know how he gets out of focus.” The president remarked, and looked at me with his dead stare. “Ms. Park, for the duration of the trip, please take care of my other son, Seung-hyun’s schedule. You are to focus on making sure he is there punctually for all official meetings, which may sometimes mean dragging him off his own escapades.”

 

“I understand sir.” I replied nonchalantly, earning an honest grin from Dong-wook. Did he find me funny?

 

“I don’t think you fully comprehend the gravity of what my father is trying to say.” Dong-wook commented. “He’s asking you to baby sit my brother.”

 

“Would that be difficult, sir?” I asked.

 

It seems that I’ll be regretting this decision early on.

 


 

[Song: Jay Park – Metronome]

 

His eyes fluttered slowly, his body slowly shifting up from the mattress. He felt the other half of his bed, surprised that a woman was still lying there asleep in the light of day. He tried to remember, but his head ached like drills were working their way through his brain.

 

“Young Master, what time do you plan to depart? We have prepared your flight for 10:30 am.” Choi Seung-hyun’s butler called from outside his majestic room. “Master Choi and your brother are on their way to Philippines as we speak.”

 

“Give me five minutes,” Seung-hyun barely articulated with his hoarse voice. He struggled his way to look at the woman beside him.

 

“Yoona.” He uttered, barely a greeting.

 

“Don’t tell me you forgot.” Im Yoona, one of Seung-hyun’s ‘friends’ grinned as she positioned herself to face Seung-hyun, pulling up the bed sheet around her body. “Or would you like me to make you remember?”

 

Seung-hyun gave a lopsided smile, moving closer to Yoona until his mouth could reach her ear. He then whispered, “Get out.”

 


 

“Officer Park, I think you’re forgetting that the Chief specifically asked that you stay close to President Choi, and not his son.” The irritating Lee Chae-rin reminded me once more.

 

Mwo, I already know! I screwed up! What with seeing Dong-wook’s enchanting smile, I barely listened to what his father said after.

 

“I know, I know I’m sorry.” I apologized, looking at both Lee Chae ‘scary eyes’ rin and Gong Minzy as we proceeded to the convoy car. We were headed to the hotel as per Mr. Choi’s request – he wasn’t feeling all well because of the airplane food we ate a while ago (It’s either his taste is so high class, even the Lobster Thermidore we ate at the plane was still sub-par what he usually eats, or we just happened to enter a high-class plane with low-class food). “I’ll try to talk Mr. Choi later into switching us.”

 

“And how exactly do you plan on doing that?” Lee Chae-rin replied with another question.

 

“Ladies, calm down.” Kang Dae-Sung, Mr. Choi’s executive assistant who also happens to be an undercover KNPA agent, said as he drove us into the city. “It wouldn’t be that bad since Seung-hyun is shadowing his father anyway. Being with him is as close as it is to be with the big man himself.”

 

“Oppa, how did you get this job again?” Minzy asked cluelessly. Quite frankly, I was clueless too that Chief Yang sent Officer Kang, especially when he mentioned that this was a measly assignment. “Aren’t you the assistant head of our international division?”

 

“Ahh, that.” Dae-sung replied, his chinky-eyed smile visible from the rearview mirror. “Well I just wanted to tag along in this mission. I haven’t been long in the agency before I was assigned to the international division so I haven’t experienced the feeling of being in these types of assignments as much.”

 

“So they just let you do that?” Snarky Chae-rin asked. “You must have absolutely nothing to do in your division.”

 

“Good point Lee Chae-rin, and for that I’ll rename you CL.” Dae-sung said randomly while steering the car to another turn. “Why don’t you think about it and when you find out, let me know?”

 

That chinky-eyed smile gives me the creeps. Better stay away from this guy.


 

Later that morning, I was stuck in our makeshift office beside Choi ‘The Brat’ Seung-hyun’s room re-arranging schedules to make up for his dad’s sudden unavailability this morning. Well, brat isn’t here yet so that makes my work a little lighter. The more people I ask about him, the more I get the sense that Seung-hyun isn’t an easy person to be around with.

 

Well why don’t we search the internet? Let us confirm the suspicions!

 

Choi Seung-hyun, heir to Choi Real Estate Enterprise graduates from Harvard with Latin Honors

 

Wow.

 

Choi Seung-hyun, on behalf of Choi Enterprise, donates 100 million KRW to calamity stricken areas

 

Charity kind of guy? Sounds contrary to how people describe him.

 

Choi Seung-hyun linked to Im Yoona of Girl’s Generation

 

Yoona?! That lucky bastard

 

Choi Seung-hyun linked to Hyorin of Sistar

Choi Seung-hyun linked to Suzy of MissA

Choi Seung-hyun linked to Park Bom of 2ne1 (Hey we have the same name! She better be pretty!)

Choi Seung-hyun linked to Dara of 2ne1

Choi Seung-hyun linked to Dasom of Sistar

Choi Seung-hyun linked to Sunny of Girl’s Generation

Choi Seung-hyun linked to Soo-young of Girl’s Generation

Choi Seung-hyun linked to Tae-yeon of Girl’s Generation

Choi Seung-hyun linked to Tiffany of Girl’s Generation

Choi Seung-hyun linked to Hyoyeon of Girl’s Generation

Choi Seung-hyun linked to Yuri of Girl’s Generation

Choi Seung-hyun linked to Jessica of Girl’s Generation

 

Omo, omo, omo the list never ends! This guy is basically paired up with the entire Kpop celebrity industry! Must keep a vigilant eye on this fellow. With my beauty, brains, charm and personality, who knows, he might try to seduce me into his collection of girls!

 

“I am flattered, but you creep me out.” A cave deep ice-cold voice whispered from behind me, freaking my soul out of my body for half a second.

 

“EOMMA!!!!” I screamed my lungs out of surprise, shutting my eyes in fear that I have just come in contact with a ghost. The ghost covered my mouth until I got my senses right to elbow his stomach, causing him to recoil and fall down the ground.

 

“What the heck is your problem?!” Choi Seung-hyun called out in pain as he laid on the floor in fetal position. “Are you trying to kill me?!”

 

“A-a-niyo! I’m so sorry!” I rushed to his side, pulling the young brat (who is in terrible pain because I am a fairly strong lady) up from the floor and into his bedroom. 


 

“S-sir I’m really so sorry!” I bowed a few more times in front of President Choi as we discussed the matter in Seung-hyun’s bed.

 

I could still see Seung-hyun writhe in pain and I couldn’t blame him, his stomach was front-row seat to my famous jujitsu move. I held up a peace sign as an added apology, but he merely rolled his eyes.

 

What a gentleman.

 

“To be fair, you surprised Ms. Park here, Seung-hyun. If anything, we should be glad she doesn’t feel that she’s been ually harassed with you creeping up like that.” Dong-wook said, to my rescue. “Thank you, Bom-shi.”

 

Wait, was that to my rescue or to Seung-hyun’s? That guy just twisted my words! What if I did feel ually harassed?

 

Man, he’s good.

 

“What?! You’re taking that girl’s side?! Hyung!” Seung-hyun protested childishly.

 

“Enough of this.” President Choi brought order back to the room. His pale face prompted me to think that he hasn’t gotten better from the food poisoning of this morning. “Ms. Park, Ms. Lee, please send our apologies to our correspondence today. My condition has not yet subsided and with Seung-hyun like this, It would be embarrassing to face them.”

 

“De.” Chae-rin and I said in unison.

 

“Appa?! Aren’t you firing this girl for what she did?” Seung-hyun continued his objection.

 

“Carry on Ms. Park.” Was President Choi’s only reply.

 

Looks like I’m stuck on brat duty.

 


Author's Note: How was the first chapter? Let me know! And thanks for the subscriptions and comments!