Hide & Seek

The Garden of Eden - One-Shot

        Once upon a time, there lived a young man named J-Hyo. He had just recently graduated high school and he became accepted to Seoul University just after he graduated. He had a girlfriend named Jina who he adored very much. His girlfriend had brunette hair, and she always wore pastel make-up. One day, while they were driving home from a restaurant, he and Jina had a huge argument because she saw him talking to his ex when she got back from the bathroom. The argument escalated way too quickly when Jina told him to go back to his ex girlfriend because they would be happier. Out of anger and sadness, J-Hyo crashed his car into a nearby tree near the woods. Jina laid in the car, covered in glass shards from the windshield. She was bleeding profusely from her head all the way down to her thighs. J-Hyo was knocked out from the car and he landed face-first in the pavement. He laid in his own pool of blood, sprawled on the ground, unable to move. This is only the beginning of what was about to come...


J-Hyo slightly opened his eyes and he found himself in the middle of the woods, laying on a stone pathway. The stone pathway was a bright beige and the trees around him were bright green from the shining sunlight. J-Hyo stood up and he saw around him beautiful creatures. Monarch butterflies glided from across the grass, doves flew from tree to tree, hummingbirds nectar from the finest of flowers and bunnies hopped from one place to another. 

"Am I in heaven...?" J-Hyo asked himself. He continued to walk on the stone pathway.

As he walked, he noticed deer were watching his every move and butterflies seemed to follow him. A monarch butterfly landed on his right shoulder and he smiled at the wonderful sight. Soon, bunnies hopped alongside him and doves flew by his side as well, as if they wanted to follow him to where he was going. J-Hyo noticed all of the creatures following his side and he felt more at peace with himself. Soon after, he stopped in his tracks when he saw a beautiful sanctuary in front of him. The sanctuary was large and carved of the finest smooth stone, the columns were wrapped in vines with sprouting flowers and inside was a beautiful stone fountain with an angel on top of it. He walked insdie the sanctuary and found a man sitting on a golden throne.

"Excuse me, may you please tell me where I am?" J-Hyo asked the man. The man had brown spiky hair, a bandanna, a masquerade mask around his neck, a colorful tribal patterned shirt, loose fitting pants and leather shoes. The man was drinking from a golden chalice and the contents looked like soft red wine. 

"You are in my garden, my dear J-Hyo." The man said. J-Hyo stood in place and blushed when he said his name.

"How do you know my name...?" J-Hyo asked nervously.

"A little birdie told me. All joking aside, my name is Eden. I am the one who guards the gate to the afterlife." Eden said, downing the rest of his wine.

"So am I...In the Garden of Eden...?" J-Hyo asked nervously.

"Precisely my dear boy. I am here to grant you one wish before you enter heaven or hell. Know that whatever wish you make, A consequence will come your way." Eden warned the young teen. J-Hyo was still trying to process the fact he was in Eden's garden.

"C...Consequence?" J-Hyo stuttered nervously.

"Yes." Eden replied simply, standing up to touch the water from the fountain. A small hummingbird flew over the fountain and landed on Eden's finger.

"Ok...I wish...I wish I could apologize...to my girlfriend..." J-Hyo said and Eden grinned.

"Your girlfriend Jina, whom you fought with and out frustration, killed her?" Eden said, smiling almost sadistically.

"I didn't mean to kill her...I just didn't know how to...handle the situation." J-Hyo said, looking down.

"Alright. Is this your wish? To meet with your girlfriend and apologize to her?" Eden clarified. J-Hyo simply nodded. "Alright." Eden said. The hummingbird flew away from Eden's finger as he approached J-Hyo. Eden slid his thumb over J-Hyo's wrist and a drop of blood came out. Eden caught the drop and rubbed it over a blank stained glass window.

"Wha..." J-Hyo stuttered.

"Consider it as a form of documentation, my dear J-Hyo." Eden teased. Out of nowhere, a strong gust of wind blew and numerous pink rose petals flew into the sanctuary. The flower petals began to surround J-Hyo and he disappeared into thin air. Once J-Hyo was gone, Eden grinned and poured himself another glass of wine in his gold chalice. "I hope he can survive...In the labyrinth." Eden said, taking a sip of his fine wine and sitting back down on his throne.


J-Hyo awoke in a stone castle. The sun was shining brightly through a white stained glass window and it beamed down on J-Hyo's face. When J-Hyo awoke, he noticed that the walls inside the castle were breaking down, but not making any noise. The walls fell on their sides and the ceiling crashed down. J-Hyo managed to run out to the courtyard before he got caught inside the ruined castle. He was now surrounded in a maze of hedges. He could not escape because the castle behind him had collapsed and if he were to pass the castle ruins, he would only land in a large body of water. J-Hyo sighed and he proceeded to the path on the right. At first the path seemed to go in a straight line, but then the path began to make more turns as he progressed. He began to feel dizzy after what seemed like an hour of walking and he fainted from exhaustion.

"Hey, Mister..." A young girl said. She was poking at J-Hyo's body. J-Hyo groaned slightly, but still laid on the concrete. "HEY MISTER.!!!!!" The girl yelled and J-Hyo jumped up. He had a small heart attack when he saw a little girl in a white dress and a flower crown. 

"Who are you, young lady?" J-Hyo asked the girl.

"My name is Jina, I'm 8!" Jina said. J-Hyo laughed slightly.

"What's so funny Mister?" Jina asked.

"Oh nothing, it's just that my girlfriend's name is Jina. My name is J-Hyo by the way." J-Hyo said, shaking the young girl's hand.

"So what are you doing here?" Jina asked.

"I really don't know...I made a wish to see my girlfriend so that i could apologize to her...and somehow I ended up here..." J-Hyo replied.

"Well, we can find her together!" Jina said enthusiastically and J-Hyo laughed. She grabbed his hand as she skipped through the maze. Sundown was approaching fairly quickly and Jina became more scared. "J-Hyo...I'm scared." She whimpered slightly.

"It's ok, I'll protect you..." J-Hyo reassured the young girl.

"Do you promise to protect me, no matter what?" Jina asked. J-Hyo had a flashback and he thought about how his girlfriend said those same exact words to him when they first started dating. J-Hyo's heart hurt on the inside, but he tried not to show it.

"I promise. Come on, let's keep going." J-Hyo walked with the little girl. As moments passed, fireflies started to light up the maze, making it easier for them to cross the maze. 

"Lookie J-Hyo! They're pretty!!!" Jina pointed at the fireflies. J-Hyo's memories flew back into his mind when he heard those words. His girlfriend had never seen fireflies until that one night when her and J-Hyo snuck out of their houses to go to a local park. J-Hyo started to tear up slightly and the young girl took notice. "What's wrong J-Hyo?" The little girl had a worried look in her eyes.

"It's just that...My girlfriend said those exact words when i took her with me...to the park one night..." J-Hyo wiped his tears from his eyes.

"It's ok J-Hyo...You'll get to see her again. I know it!" The little girl tried to cheer him up. J-Hyo wiped his tears once more.

"I know...It's just...I regret..." J-Hyo stuttered.

"Regret what, J-Hyo?" The little girl asked.

"I regret, killing her..." J-Hyo broke down and fell to the ground. Jina tried to comfort him by patting his back. "I didn't mean to kill her...I was just angry...and sad...I was scared to lose her...and my emotions got the best of me..." J-Hyo cried even harder.

"It's ok...You didn't mean it..." The young girl comforted J-Hyo. J-Hyo stopped crying when he heard that the young Jina's voice sounded exactly like his girlfriend's. J-Hyo looked up and saw his girlfriend wearing the same exact outfit as the young girl's. The young Jina was standing next to J-Hyo's girlfriend and he saw that they looked almost like each other. The young Jina began fading away in the form of red rose petals.

"Goodbye, J-Hyo..." The young Jina waved goodbye. J-Hyo and the grown-up Jina waved as well and the young girl had the biggest smile on her face once she faded away.

"I really am sorry Jina...I didn't mean to kill you." J-Hyo said while a tear flowed down his left cheek. Jina hugged her boyfriend and the hedges from the maze began to fade away. 

"I know you didn't. I'm sorry for causing the fight. I just got jealous when I saw you talking to your ex." Jina admitted and J-Hyo smiled.

"I was only asking her what kind of ring i should get you for our wedding...but i guess we can't do that anymore since we're dead." J-Hyo and Jina laughed slightly. 

"I love you, Jina..." J-Hyo said, pulling Jina in for a hug.

"I love you too, J-Hyo." Jina said laying in her boyfriend's arms. Out of nowhere, a marble staircase appeared ithat looked like it was leading to heaven. A light shined in the sky where the stairs led.

"Let's go home." Jina said. She took her boyfriend's hand and they both walked up the beautiful white staircase to heaven.