FIN

Childhood Friends

They were childhood friends. They have been friends since they were really young because they are neighbors. Ever since preschool, they have been going on and off school together, hand in hand. They’ve been like that until the last year of high school.

 

“Hanbin-ah, you’re going to study engineering?” Eun-gi asked. Hanbin look away and kept silent. He felt somehow guilty.

 

Hanbin and her had been wanting to study together even until college so they decided to study medical together – Eun-gi had wanted to become a nurse and Hanbin agreed to be a doctor. But Hanbin had been to different seminar of various universities recently and realized he don’t want to study medical anymore. He wants to be an engineer.

 

Eun-gi just smiled bitterly. “It’s okay. I’m glad you find something you want to do.”

 

That makes Hanbin feel even guiltier. They have been together since toddlers and had never been apart. Hanbin had always liked what Eun-gi likes. He wants to go where Eun-gi want to go. He wants to eat what Eun-gi wants to eat.

 

He began to think that he should has his own personal goal. But that goal is to be apart from Hannah. What should he choose?

 

Eun-gi had never blamed him. Actually, she feels guilty. She feels that she was the one who kept him here and tied him up. As much as she doesn’t want to let him go, she also hoped that this best friend of hers would fulfill his own goal and become a better person.

 

Eun-gi patted him on the head. “It’s better this way, actually. We’re gonna be adults and there will be one day we have to go our own way. There are no meetings without separations. I’ll wait you here.”

 

It’s not about different university they’re talking about. Eun-gi’s university was in town, but Hanbin’s college was 2 hours from here so they have to be apart.

 

Both of them say nothing. Everything feels sadder for them. Graduations should feel exciting but it was something that both of them wished wouldn’t come.

 

--

 

The school has never felt so livelier. Parents are taking photos of their child wearing the honored graduated children. But it was the last thing on earth he wants, Hanbin sweared. This has been the most sorrowful event in his life.

 

He felt a nudge. “Cheer up! It’s not like we’re not going to meet forever.” Eun-gi smile sweetly beside him. She had always been cheerful. Sometimes even he can hardly tell if she was delighted or not.

 

That’s what he likes about this girl. This stupid innocent little girl. She was too beautiful. Too bright. Her beauty shone through the whole hallway even standing from afar. How he wished he could just kidnapped her and takes her with him.

 

But Hanbin was determined. He’s gonna study hard and graduate the engineering school with honor so that when he come back, Hannah can gratefully take his hand.

 

‘Just wait. Just wait for 4 year and I’ll make you the happiest girl alive.’

 

All those years were blissful yet painful. He had endured for too long. He just wanna take her in his arm and tell her how much he loved her and all the feelings he had suppressed.

 

He just wanna let it all out. Tell the world how much he loves her. Hanbin’s sure she feels the same. But this naïve young girl has never been nor believe in love. Both of them were afraid their relationship and friendship could go wrong at the same time. Nothing is more precious than the other person.

 

--

 

It had been 4 years since Hanbin left home to stay in his university. He’s gonna graduate in a month. He misses home greatly. But most of all, there’s one person he missed badly. So bad he could die. But nothing matters now. He has given a vacation and now he was, packing for tomorrow. He’s going home. He’s gonna see his parents. He’s gonna see Eun-gi.

 

Hanbin couldn’t sleep that night. The nervousness and excitement last the whole night. Eun-gi must have change the past year. She had always been pretty but she would get even prettier the next year.

 

All thought comes to his head. Hanbin chuckled; he should be thinking about his parents but all he can see is the girl. ‘Look who drives me crazy.’

 

And like that, he smiled like an idiot the whole night.

 

The next morning, he hopped happily on the bus to home. Sometimes even get irritated by the people who board late. Aren’t they in a hurry? For an urgent person like him, every minute and every second feels like a waste.

 

Finally, he arrived at his house and was welcomed warmly by his parents. How much he had missed them. He told them to not worry. Even the studies are hard, he was motivated enough to get through. He just wanna go find Eun-gi immediately. But that would be too rude to his parents. ‘I’ll just go over after lunch.’

 

Lunch was going to slowly for him. He had to wait until his parents go upstairs for a nap that he could go next door.

 

Suddenly, his mother declared that she had something to tell. Hanbin wasn’t thinking much but he listened obediently anyway.

 

“I know you’re looking for Eun-gi. I know that you can’t wait to see her. But sweetie, she doesn’t live here anymore.”

 

--

 

Tears filled his eyes the whole day.

 

“Eun-gi’s family moved out as soon as you’re gone. Eun-gi was offered a better scholar ship in another university so they all decided to move there at once. And this is her letter for you, baby. I’m sorry I couldn’t tell you sooner.”

 

Hanbin glance hatefully at the letter in his hand. Why does she has to do this to him? Didn’t she said she’s gonna waited here? Doesn’t she know how much he had endured the past 4 years?

 

He doesn’t want to open the letter. He doesn’t even want to guess the content of the letter. He feels that it doesn’t contain any positive content he wants.

 

Everything seems meaningless for him. He just wants her back.

 

--

 

5 years go by just like that. Kim Hanbin was now a very successful owner of a company. Life was better for him.  He owns a very expensive apartment and drives one of the best car in town.

 

But his lovelife has never been successful. His heart still remembers the girl that gives him grief 5 years ago. Hanbin tries to forget her. He tries to hate her. He would go on blind dates and met other girls. He has tried everything.

 

But at the end of the day, he would come home and look at those gorgeous picture of hers, wishing all of these were just nightmares. He hates how much influence this girl has on him. She could make him cry in sorrow or happiness. He’d tried to look for her everywhere but God doesn’t give him any mercy.

 

Like that, he lived in 5 years of misery.

 

One morning, Hanbin has gone to work as usual but he had to stop at the construction site to monitor the progress of his project. He walks around the site. At that moment, he heard someone yelled but he couldn’t react fast enough when he blackout right there.

 

He woke up and found himself in an unfamiliar room. Where was he? He spends a good few minutes until he realized he was in a hospital room. Right then, someone comes into his room. He recognized that man as Kim Jiwon, one of the directors in his company and his best friend, enter the room.

 

Jiwon told him everything about his injury. He told he was almost died and was injured severely but luckily was operated on time.

 

Jiwon chuckles. He was fascinated by how those bunches of bricks fell RIGHT on him and break his legs. Luckily for him, Hanbin was wearing a safety helmet or else their company would lose a young CEO. Oh, and he forget one thing.

 

“You should go and thank the doctor once again for operate on you. Without her, you might have to say bye bye to the legs of yours.”

 

Hanbin nodded. “Introduce her to me someday.”

 

--

 

A few months later, Hanbin’s birthday was getting near. Jiwon decided to throw a birthday party inside the company where all his important clients and other CEOs attend.

 

Hanbin doesn’t really like it. He just want a party with his family and friends but Jiwon shushed him and said it’s for the sake of the company.

 

A party isn’t just a party in the business world. Important clients, CEOs and other managers have come together and chatted with one other where the content of the conversation is mainly business.

 

Or something else like introduce their spoiled daughter to successful young man like Hanbin.

 

Hanbin is really bored and annoyed. He attempted to escape a few times but was caught by Jiwon who silently gives him dead glares and dragged him somewhere.

 

“Okay, I know you’re bored but I need you to meet one last person and then you’re free to go.”

 

Hanbin rolled his eyes. Jiwon always say it’s the last time but he ended up talking to hundreds of people.

 

“Yeah, right.”

 

“She’s the doctor that operates on you. You should really meet her and give a proper thank you.”

 

If it’s the doctor then it’s alright. He has always wanted to meet that doctor.

 

Jiwon and Hanbin finally arrived at one of the waiting room of the company. Jiwon opened the door and they saw a beautiful feminine silhouette standing at the porch outside the waiting.

 

“Wait… it looks familiar…” Hanbin uttered under his breathe.

 

Jiwon quickly excuse himself. “She’s there. Go greet her.” With that, he disappeared.

 

Sensing a familiar backside profile, Hanbin slowly approach her. He’s hoping that it would be THAT person but there’s no way she’s here. Pushing the thought to the back of his head, Hanbin walks toward her when he suddenly turned around and make Hanbin stopped on his track.

 

He gaped.

 

It is her. The person he’s looking for.

 

Kang Eun-gi.

 

 

 

 

-THE END-