To be a singer.

To like a father

"Dad. Mum. I want to be a singer. "

They may thought the words came from nowhere but it had all been well thought and for a long time. Not that long as I was only 11, but I was soon 12 ! Just 10 little months and I would be 12. I was far from being in age to apply to any sort of sing contest but I didn't want to wait all those years. The sooner I started the better it was. 

" Alright, alright. You still have time to think about what you want to do. "

My father chuckled lightly and I frowned at him. Why losing time to think about something I had already made my mind about. I was listening rap. I was breathing rap. Eating it and drinking it. In other words, I was living rap every day of my life. But my father didn't seem to understand that. He was simply sitting in his chair in front a TV he wasn't even watching as he was reading newspaper. What was written in there that was so interesting ?

" But I don't need more time ! I want to be a singer ! "

I stomped my foot on the floor as I was standing by his side, trying to get his eyes off the paper he had in his hands to look at me. I finally managed to get his attention. He looked at me when he turned his page and he chuckled smiling to me and telling me that I was cute. Cute ? I didn't want to be cute ! I wanted to be a rapper and rappers aren't cute ! They're cool ! So damn cool !

I was about to retort to him but already his eyes went back to his newspaper and I felt a hand ruffling my hair. My mother walked behind me to come knell in front my father bringing him his glass of soju. He thanked her taking it and kept it in one hand while his newspaper was reading on his lap. I puffed my cheeks and when my mother stood up, she hold me by my shoulders dragging me away from my father.

" Junhong. You father is tired after his hard day at work. Let him rest and we will talk about that matter later. Alright ? "

She said softly and kissed the top of my head before going back to the kitchen to finish preparing the dinner. I watched my father from afar, a bit deceived he wasn't taking me seriously. Turning my back to him, I walked upstairs and I knocked softly on my brother's door and only entered when I heard him allowing me.  I was wearing a sad face and the only thing he found to do watching me was to chuckled and to call me cute. " Not you too... " I mumbled as I went lie on his bed while he was sitting at his desk, making his homework. " Junhong-ah, not so long ago, you wanted to be a soccer player. " He said scratching his book with his pen. What was seriously with my family and all their paper thing ? He had his back facing me and I was lying on my back, my head overcoming the edge of the bed so it was hanging upside down. My mother always told me to not do that because of the blood which would come in my brain but she was just scared over every little thing.

" But this time I'm serious ! I really want to be a singer ! " I pouted and I heard him chuckling. Unlike my father he his chair to face me and he looked at me with the same eyes my mother had earlier, soft and caring. I didn't like them watching me like, it made me feel bad , making me look like I was a spoiled child who was simply making a fuss over nothing. But this wasn't nothing, it was my dream we were talking about. "Okay, if when you're reach your twelve, you still want to become a singer, I will try to convince father with you. " I rolled on the bed to lie on my stomach, "I will ! I will !" I beamed at him and he nodded to me before going back to his work. " I will go train right now ! Let's not waste any second !! " I cheered standing from his bed, I folded it as it had been before I lied on it and burst out his room to go in my own.

Grabbing a paper and a pen I wrote a list of the things I had to do everyday :

• Sing training
• Dance training
• Beat-box training
• Writing training

I started without losing any more time. I was working on my dancing when my mother entered my room and she blinked at me before turning off my music. "Mum !" I whined, panting slightly, running to my stereo to put it back on, but she stopped me before. She put her hands on my shoulders and made me turn round before walking to my desk. There she sat me behind my desk and opened my schedular. "Your homework first. " She said before kissing my temple and she left my room telling me dinner would be done soon. Which meant I had even less time as I had to go help her to settle the table. I hurried to finish the few things I had to do for school before rushing to the kitchen. I washed my hands and everything was just like any other day. Once at table we didn't talked about my dream but strangely my parents liked to speak about school. Which gave me an idea.

The day after when I was at school and during the break between the two classes of the morning I started beat-boxing in my corner and soon my comrads where around me, cheering and claping in their hands. I smiled brigtly as they looked like they liked what I was doing and even some started to dance. But I wasn't doing that to get their attention of even them to like me more, no I needed to wait to be back to my house for me to see the effects of it. I waited patiently, incapable to not smile at the thought of it and my parents looked happy that I was that happy also. Finally,  the time had come. My father asked me about school, "it was fine. At a moment during the break I was doing beat boxing and my whole class cheered for me ! Even the teacher said I was pretty good !!" I cheered, spitting some food I had in my mouth on the table and my father chuckled. "Good, good." He simply said and I waited for him to say something more, but he didn't. Instead he asked my mother what was scheduled for this week-end.

I stayed silent the rest of the dinner and my family didn't seem to notice my mood wasn't as good as earlier. But I wouldn't let myself get down that easily. I would keep training every day and every day I would sneak a word about my dream to my father. Yet he didn't seem to notice all my efforts but I had faith that some day he would realize.

Fibally the time had come. It had felt like I had waited ten years and more. I had never been that excited for any of my previous birthday and this one promised to be wonderful. My mother did asked me to invite my friends and that's when I realized that I had none. Always staying in my corner training my singing and dancing skills. But I didn't mind, I was okay with that. I had sing and dance, I didn't needed any friends, and like this we wouldn't lose time at my birhtday with useless talking and such. That day I was up earlier than any other day of the year. My parents were still sleeping and I prepared everything in the house, the usual things my mother did, prepare breakfast, cleaning the kitchen and living. They would just have to sit at the table and to allow me to be a singer.

" Hey, you're already up sweetie. Normally it would be my work to prepare a surprise for you." My mother chuckled entering the kitchen as I finished to clean after I cooked. Helping my mother when she cooked everyday, I had learn a few things about the basic. After all, we didn't need high quality food for my birthday. When my father finally sat at the table and they brought me my birthday cake, I blew eagerly on the candles and beamed at my family while they were clapping and cheering. "I got you something I think you might like." My father said and went search a package I did had noticed without thinking it would be my present. To be honest, I hadn't even thought about getting any presents, the only thing I wished couldn't be contained within a package, I wanted to be a singer.