The Park

The Park

A deep smile emerged upon Tammy’s lips when she saw the familiar male figure sitting on a crimson bench from across the park. He was her childhood crush, her first kiss, her first love. He was Park Jimin.

Placing her arms tightly against her floral sundress to prevent underneath from revealing, Tammy made a run for it. She ran as quick as ever to Jimin and still, she remained her smile. Jimin, with his one arm slung loosely around the bench, leaned closer to the distance, squinting and trying to make out of who was coming toward his direction. He too, smiled brightly when he saw that it was his childhood crush, his first kiss and his first love. Immediately, he cleared his throat and sat up straight, attempting to leave a lasting and charming impression on his lover’s eyes.

“Will she notice?” Jimin thought, scratching the beach of his head. His thoughts were interrupted when he saw the immediate shadow Tammy casted when she arrived.

Panting , Tammy looked over at the empty space next to Jimin on the bench. “Mind if I sit here?”

Jimin widened his eyes slightly when noticed how pretty she looked in her short-lengthed dress and forcefully shook his head. “No… Sit on the grass.”

Shocked, confused and a little hurt by his words she obediently responded, “Um… o-okay…”

Jimin gulped. A lump of guilt formed down his throat and spread into his chest. He laughed nervously and quite artificially and looked down at Tammy as she gently took a seat on the ground.

“I-it’s not tha I don’t want—“ Jimin said, feeling his heart getting heavier.

Tammy shook her head and rolled her eyes slightly, mumbling, “It’s fine. I completely get it.”

“But you don’t—“

“Gosh, Jimin. I get it, okay?” Tammy’s cheeks were starting to become as red as the bench and she became flustered with anger. She bit onto her tongue tightly and arose from the ground. “I’ll see you around next time.”

Jimin looked at Tammy get up and then glanced at his feet pressed against each other. “Don’t go…”

“I wore this dress for you. I don’t normally wear dresses. I don’t like wearing dresses.Don’t I at least deserve a seat on somewhere other than the ground?” Tammy said angrily, noticing that Jimin was not even looking her way.

“I’m sorry…It’s because of—“

“I don’t care. You’re not the same person I used to know.”

And just like that, Tammy had left Jimin and eventually, the entire park.

Jimin remained stagnant on the bench and waited for the absence of people. He looked around continuously and continuously until he could not perceive the sound of anyone but the sound of the crunching leaves the squirrels produced. Slowly and timidly, he arose from his seat on the crimson bench and sighed deeply.

Jimin made his way home, keeping his head down, forming different ways to apologize to Tammy.

He thought about many, many things like buying Tammy a sundry of benches for her to all sit on, from getting down on one knee to propose to her. His ideas were silly and way ahead of the future, but the poor boy, who had broken his lover’s heart, could not help it.

The crunching the leaves became louder and fortunately, Jimin enjoyed it because the sound enhanced him to formulate more wacky and nonsensical thoughts.

Poor Jimin. The poor boy thinks the squirrels are helping him, but really they are laughing viciously behind his back as they one by one, notice the big slab of red painted upon Jimin’s back, , and thighs. He had sat on wet paint.