Christmas Dinner

The story of us

  Taekwoon peaked into the oven, readjusting the dial to a lower temperature. Their small apartment was beginning to smell like Christmas. The scent of the chickening roasting and the bubbling of the vegetables on the stove created a festive atmosphere. From his position in the kitchen, Taekwoon could hear Hakyeon humming along softly to the Christmas song playing on the television. The semester was coming to a close, leaving both of them with only a few more months until they successfully completed their degrees. It had been Hakyeon’s idea to hold a small Christmas dinner amongst their friends, a celebration to celebrate what could be the last Christmas between the all. Taekwoon frowned at that thought. He knew after college, with Wonshik, Jaehwan and Hongbin all entering their second last and last years, it would be near impossible for them all to meet up after graduation. Taekwoon didn’t know what the future held for them but it was uncertain.

               ‘Taek, is the food nearly ready? Jaehwan text to tell me that they’re just picking up Hongbin and Sanghyuk now’ Hakyeon called out, the sound of cutlery being placed on the table echoing with his voice. Taekwoon hummed an answering, moving from the oven to mash the carrots and other vegetables while Hakyeon set the table. It had taken two of them to drag their table into the living room and move the sofa into what used to be Hakyeon’s bedroom. ‘Do we have any wine?’ Hakyeon question, sneaking behind Taekwoon to rap his arms around the others waist. ‘In the fridge’, Taekwoon answer, ducking his head to hide his small smile. Hakyeon stood on his tiptoes, pressing a soft kiss to Taekwoon’s cheek. ‘The food smells amazing, is there anything I can do to help?’ Taekwoon gestured to the freezer, ‘Take out the cheesecake to defrost and make sure we have apple tart for Sanghyuk. He’s lactose intolerant’. Hakyeon hummed, releasing Taekwoon to set about his new task. Taekwoon smiled at the others willingness to help but couldn’t help but miss the warmth of the smaller against his back.

          The ring of their doorbell, loud and piercing drove the smaller from helping Taekwoon plate the food. ‘Merry Christmas you dorks’ Jaehwans loud enthusiastic yell filled the living room of the apartment, making Taekwoon cringe at the volume. Wonshik chuckled as he followed his boyfriend into the room, handing Hakyeon a bottle of champagne and kissing his Hung’s cheek sweetly. ‘Hyung, what will we do without you next year?’ Wonshik pouted, ruffling Hakyeon’s hair. Hakyeon snorted, using his shoulder to nudge the younger. ‘I’ve known you since you were in diapers Wonshik, I hardly doubt graduation will keep us apart’. Wonshik laughed, hugging the older as Hongbin and Sanghyuk made themselves at home at the table. Hongbin was fighting with the younger over the newest action film, debating whether it used too much CGI and how it affected the overall story of the movie.

            ‘Need a hand?’ Taekwoon jumped as Jaehwan appeared beside him it was unusual for the hyper boy to sneak up quietly on the others. Especially with Taekwoon, the younger vocal major always announced his presence to the quiet male. Taekwoon nodded, allowing Jaehwan to begin where Hakyeon had left off while he waited on the chicken to finish. They worked in silence for a few minutes, listening to Hakyeon’s chuckles and Hong bin’s argument with the youngest of the group. ‘So…did you tell Hakyeon about the offer?’ Jaehwan mumbled quietly. Taekwoon tensed, panic and fear gripping his muscles. He knew what Jaehwan was asking about and that Hakyeon could easily over hear them if they spoke too loud. ‘No’, Taekwoon finally answered, his lips nervously. Jaehwan sighed, placing a hand on Taekwoon’s shoulder. ‘He should know. You might turn them down but he should know, he’d be happy for you’. Taekwoon nodded, carefully removing the roasting chicken from the oven. ‘I know he would be but Jae…I think I might accept and I just…I can’t break his heart. Two years is a long time to ask someone to wait’ Taekwoon bit his lip, carving the chicken. Jaehwan sighed, taking the first two plates into his hands. ‘He’d wait for you, even if it was six years. He’s waited for you since you two were in high school, he’d wait again’. And with that he was gone, announcing the seating arrangements and joining the conversation. Taekwoon swallowed back the tears in his throat. If he accepted the internship this would be the last Christmas he’d have with Hakyeon, he wouldn’t let it be a sad memory.

   And it wasn’t. The night was filled with laughter and shared stories. Taekwoon flushed with wine in his system, joining in with the conversation from where he sat at the head of the table. Hakyeon was smiling, a bright grin that made him shine Taekwoon’s eyes. He simply sat back, full from the meal he’d cooked and Hakyeon’s deserts, watching his older boyfriend fan at his cheeks as Wonshik told tales of a childish Hakyeon and wearing his mother’s clothes. He committee the night to his memory. In a few days he, Wonshik and Hakyeon would travel to their home town for Christmas with their respective families. The other three would scatter around Seoul, leaving them out of touch until the new semester. The future was still weighing on Taekwoon’s mind, pressing down on him heavily but when his eyes met Hakyeon’s across the table, it didn’t seem so bad. He had Hakyeon, and that was all he needed for now. The decision could wait.