One

Count to Two

The floor of the train compartment was filthy and dirt caked my hands when I woke up. I wondered to myself who kept these trains running and for what reason and how far they went. I must've been on the train for more than a few hours judging by the scarlet flare of the sun that painted the sky telling those within the city walls that it was time to go to bed. 

"What are you doing, Luhan?" I asked myself in the smallest whisper. Out here, though, it still sounded too loud; a sound resonating through the metal train car and out into the endless fields around.

That's all I could see: fields. What if the train went nowhere? Would I just have to ride it back into the city and back to my life of destruction? Or could I make a life for myself out in these endless fields? Why was I even on this train? 

You're a freak, remember? A small voice nagged in the back of my mind.


"You monster!" A woman screeched, bringing me back down to Earth.

I looked around me, trying to gather my bearings after blacking out. My eyes landed on the woman who had yelled at me to see her holding a child in her arms. The child wasn't moving and I hoped to God that he was just unconscious. That was when I saw the blood. 

It was dripping down the arms of the woman holding the child, but I couldn't discern where it was coming from. I could see, however, the wall behind the two that had blood dripping down it. Had I, in my frenzy, knocked the child into the wall, killing it? 

The woman was screaming more profanities at me as the realization of what I had done came flooding over me like a tidal wave. Without another thought, I my heels and ran; ran with all my might to get away from the monster I had become.


The screech of breaks shook me from my memory and I realized the train had stopped. This was the end of the tracks.

"Nothing..." I half-laughed to myself as I jumped from the train to look at the surrounding area. "Of course! I mean what else would be out here?"

I realized that my voice was perhaps a little too high and a little too hysterical, but I couldn't care to mind out here in the middle of nowhere. There was absolutely nothing at the end of the train tracks, and I couldn't believe that I had thought otherwise. Just as I was beginning to question my sanity, I saw something odd in the distance.

It was but a blotch in the field flooded by the sunset, but it was a moving blotch and it was getting closer. As I squinted, the blotch changed to the form of a person, and soon enough there was a girl about my age standing before me with an impressive looking gun resting on her shoulder.

"Who're you?" She asked before I could even begin to wonder who she was and where she came from.

"L-luhan," I stuttered, soaking in her features.

She was a slim girl with blonde hair that looked as if it had been crudely chopped off with a serrated blade. Her clothing was simple and tattered, but clean. Along with the gun she held in her hand and rested casually on her shoulder, she had two holsters on her thighs with two identical handguns. 

"You looking for somewhere safe?" She asked, her gaze piercing my eyes with a sort of severity I never imagined one person could contain.

"I guess?" I answered, unsure. Where on Earth could she be talking about?

"People don't make the five hour train ride for fun, Luhan," she said. The way she said my name was strange. It was as if my name was a new food she was trying and she hadn't quite decided if she liked it yet.

"I needed to get away," I spoke softly, unsure of why I felt obligated to answer this severe girl. 

"Follow me," she ordered and I obliged.

We walked for a while through the fields of undistinguishable plant life and it wasn't until we stopped moving that I realized night had fallen. The girl bent down and picked up a giant tarp that was covered in plants and concealed a large, metal door beneath it. She opened the door and held it open for me, motioning for me to descend down the ladder within. I climbed down slowly, unsurely, as she climbed in behind me and closed the door behind us. 

"There's a city down here," she spoke for the first time since we had started our trek to this odd space. "You can live here for as long as you need to."

"A city?" I asked, incredulous. How could there be a whole city beneath the ground that no one knew about? Why had she let me in to this secret city so easily?

"We're like you," she said over her shoulder, leading me down the dark hall.

"Like me?" Worry filled my voice. Did she know about my power? Was everyone here cursed with powers like mine?

"People like you, like us, get curious. Us here, we've lost it all. We were curious or desperate or lost, so we took the train to the end of the line just to see what was there." She opened a thick, metal door that led to an overhang with a single metal bar holding us back from falling into the pit below where easily a hundred people were milling about.

"That's a lot of people who've lost it all," I muttered to myself.

"Not all of them came here on the train." She shook her head. "See the children?"

I nodded.

"They were born here." She turned away and back through where we had come from.

"What did you say your name was?" I called after her, jogging to match her quick stride.

"I didn't." She stopped and turned to face me. "Everyone here calls me Two."

"Why?"

"One thing you've gotta learn here, kid. Don't ask questions to people who've lost it all," Two turned back around and led me to a staircase which lead to a winding hall covered in doors.

She stopped at one door and turned the handle to reveal a very plain and militaristic room with a bed, a dresser, and a single lamp swinging from the ceiling.

"This will be your room. Remember where it is," Two said, "it's not much, but it's what we have. You can buy things in the marketarrow-10x10.png to make it your own."

Marketarrow-10x10.png?" I asked, bewildered. "I haven't any money."

"Everyone gets a monthly allowance," she said simply, "your's should be in your drawers."

"This place is incredible," I breathed, still completely shocked that there was an entire city down here.

"There's a lot you'll have to learn about being here, but for now you should rest," Two said, "when you wake up wait here for me. I'll give you a tour and show you how things work around here."

"Thank you," I said softly, turning to look at Two as she stood in my doorway. 

"Sleep well, Luhan."