Her Story 1.0

You, The Angel

 

"Kyaaaaaaaaaaak~~~" "Oppa!!!!" "Duizhang!!!" all sort of over-excited screams barreled through her ears at the airport. It was still morning but she was very tired. Her team was supposed to pick her up from the airport an hour ago but just as she landed in Beijing from Korea, she got a message that the team was stuck in the traffic on the high way road due to heavy fog. Even though she took first-class seat, she did not feel comfortable. She was never comfortable whenever she was on the plane. Stress from schedules, deadlines and unexpected chaos has caused fatigue for her. 

"I need a cup of coffee," she muttered to herself and walked towards Starbucks on the first floor of the airport. She ordered a cup of vanilla latte, her absolute favorite, and sat down on the balcony with her sketch book. Being the person who always feels the need to do something, she decided to catch up on her e-mails - the business emails, the family's emails and friends emails. Even though she is the only daughter of one of the influential businessmen in the city, she never had the intention to inherit her parents' businesses. Her late mother used to say that she is a complete contrast from her father, who is driven and high-spirited. She'd much rather live a more relaxed life than live in the busy bubble. Her enjoyment and happiness revolved around designing clothes, drawing sketches, looking up new recipes to cook, talk with friends over a cup of coffee, and going to the countryside to escape from the city-life. To her, life means living peacefully. 

Maybe she became like that ever since her mother passed away during her high school years, the phase where youth's outlook on life is determined. Her mother was equally as driven as her father but in a different way. Her mother lived life supporting her father, which eventually led to poor health and before everyone realized that it was cancer, death mercilessly took her away. She never blamed anyone but fate since she believed that everyone have a set days on earth to live and once the time is up, you will eventually meet death. 

Gathering her scattered mind, she started to read her e-mails. She replied to the emails regarding her latest collection, friends from New York whom she hadn't seen for so long, and last but not least, her father. As usual, her father started the e-mail about how she should start considering about marriage since she is at the age already. Unknowingly, she rolled her eyes, "Papa, I'm only 25! Nobody gets married at 25 these days!" her inner self screamed as she typed up a polite reply to her father, rejecting his one of the many offers of setting up a matchmaking blind date.

She has gotten enough of those blind dates after going to several of them in the past. Some of them wanted to impress her so badly that they made a fool of themselves, some wanted to portray about how cool they really are to a point that it completely threw her off from all the ego they brought on the table, some were nice but they were not her taste, and some just came to meet her for the sole reason that she is the daughter of a really wealthy family, who also happens to have an established career. 

What's her ideal type? 

The question, which she often get asked. Every time she get asked, she would reply, "Anime prince!" as a joke. Truthfully, she was not joking. As an avid reader of manga, she has always had an affection for good-looking manga characters, who looks perfect and is equally well-rounded in aspects of life. Of course, she knew that such a person does not exist in real life but a girl can dream. She hardly had a chance to date in the past since a lot of guys who went to same fashion school with her in New York swing the other way. They all remained as her best friends forever. 

She snipped off her trail of thoughts once again and started typing emails with concentration until the uproar from downstairs completely threw her off from her work. She hates extreme noise. She closed her laptop and walked over to the balcony to see what has caused the hell to break loose downstairs. 

The first sight she saw was a group of 12 good-looking young men about her age walking out from the VIP exit of the air port. She recognized several of the faces since she had asked her Korea promotional team to choose them to collaborate for magazine editorials for her collection, but she never learned their names. To her, they were all collectively known as EXO and that they are insanely popular with young women as well as men.

They were walking when the barrier on the route broke and fell down. She gasped a little for she could sense what would come to their way. Fangirls gathered around their favorite members like how a cluster of sugar get surrounded by ants. They were showering the guys with gifts, and taking pictures of the guys. Her anxiety rose up as more and more fangirls surrounded the boys. She scanned the whole floor and her eyes fell on one particular. 

That one guy who made her world turn white and halted it for a while into a standstill.  

He was one of the members, who were surrounded with the most fans. Judging from where she stood, she could see that he was very tall. A mesmerizingly handsome features with the eyes covered with a pair of shades, a confident posture, and an uneasy smile was pasted on his face for he was completely squashed with all the gifts. She giggled slightly at the sight of him carrying with a harem of plushies in his arms. A manly-looking guy carrying a huge collection of plushies is amusing for her. He looked up as if he knew someone was watching and their eyes met. She could feel blood rising to her face and her face broke out into a big smile, hoping it would make him feel a little bit better. 

When he got dragged away by his managers, a part of her felt empty. She wanted to know more - his name, who he is, what his hobbies are, what he likes to do. All she knew was that he is an extremely famous pop star and she cannot possibly stalk him down using her connection in the industry since she does not want to come off as straight out creepy and desperate. She has her own motto of life - be classy. 

"Designer-jie,"(Jie = nooona/unnie = older sister) a familiar voice called her from behind. She the spot and saw her assistant, Jeremy, running towards her. "Jie~~~~~~~~ we're so sorry that we are late!!!!" he panted. It seemed like he ran all the way from the car park to where she is. 

"How do you know I'm going to be here?" she asked. 

"Jie, a coffee junkie like you always be at a cafe and this is your favorite spot," he grinned as he pulled her luggages. 

"Jeremy? Who is that tall guy?" she pointed in the direction, where the tall guy from before is disappearing into a smaller picture. 

"Who?" Jeremy squinted his eyes to get a clear picture, "Oh, you mean Kris?" "Kris?" she repeated. "Yeah, Kris Wu, from EXO-M. Do you not know, Jie?" She shook her head in denial. "Jie, you really should get away from those e-mails of yours and sketch books. How can you not know about this handsome man who is like... the dream of all girls?!" Jeremy fake-scold her. She peeked her tongue out and smiled, as a way of accepting his remarks. She really had been immersed in her work for a long time - trying to launch her own clothing line, trying to get more publicity as well as media's attention, trying to expand her business in Korea. 

"Jie, shall I drive you to your apartment?" Jeremy asked her as he sat beside her seat on the van. She shook her head gently, "Uncle Zhou, can you please drive to my office?" Jeremy shook his head as he heard her reply, "Workaholic," he muttered to himself as the car drove away from the airport. 

~~~

"Ughhhhhh~" she groaned as she collapsed onto her bed. It's quite early in the evening but she is thoroughly drained. She had been in meetings for hours, and she went to the factory to get her samples of new collection. It was humanely impossible to do both in one day, as quoted by Jeremy, but she had done it. 

Rrrrrring~rrrring~~ her mobile rang and she picked up. 

"Baby cake!" an excited voice greeted her from other end of the phone. "Fey," she whispered, "what's up?" 

"What has happened to you?" Fey asked with a worried voice. 

"Meetings, factory, you know the drill," her voice replied with a muted volume. 

"I was going to ask you to bake a cake since I want to come over," Fey continued, "but since you sound like you're half dead. I'll leave you alone for today." 

"Okay, I'll see you tomorrow, yeah?" she whimpered and her finger reached for the hang up button.

"WAIT!" Fey's voice boomed from the other end, "I was going to ask you to go to a concert with me tomorrow."

"A concert?" she groaned, "Fey, you know I don't go to concerts. I can't-" 

"That is why I am going to tempt you with VVIP tickets," Fey cut off, "And it's not some ordinary group, okay? It's EXO!" 

The image of Kris glided across in her mind and she immediately sat up on the bed, "Continue," she had the silliest grin on her face. 

"I know you'll be interested in this, baby cake," Fey giggled, "That's why I get VVIP because I want to bring you there."

"Gorgeous," she replied, "I'll come pick you up tomorrow and we'll go together." 

~~~

The next day at 5pm, she was already at Fey's apartment. "You are wearing that?" Fey asked her, who was wearing a frilly, long-sleeved white blouse and a black maxi skirt accented with a woolen hat. "Are you sure you're a designer?" 

"I'm channeling my inner Victorian era," she replied cooly, "just wear whatever you have to wear, woman. Stop commenting on my outfit and complete yours." 

By 7pm, they were already at the venue, surrounded by an army of teenage fangirls, who were screaming at top of their lungs. She put her fingers into her ears to protect them, "What am I doing?" she thought to herself and sat down beside Fey. 

"You know," Fey shouted at top of the voice to be heard, "I had to pull some strings to get the tickets! It was not easy. You should bake me a lot of cakes, baby cake. You owe me big." She rolled her eyes at Fey's comment because she knew that Fey didn't have to do a lot to get these tickets. Fey's dad literally controls concert projects like these. 

The concert kicked off and she got immersed into it. When Kris appeared on stage for the first time, her breath was stolen for a while. Her eyes were usually fixated on him as she watched one performance after another, waving the light stick in her hand slowly, unlike the others who were waving the light stick energetically.

She was getting pretty tired when Lay appeared on stage with a piano. The sweet, R&B tune soothed her as she listened to it with her eyes closed, trying to recover from feeling overwhelmed for a long time. She had never been to a concert, let alone a large-scale one, since she had always enjoyed staying at home. She'd rather watch a concert video than physically go to a concert and see the band play live. A stage light shone through her close eyelids and her instincts told her that something was up. 

It was Kris, who was standing beside her. She looked up at him and her eyes widened. He was singing one of the songs that she jammed to back in her fashion school days. As he sang the verses, he reached for her hand and she stood up absent-mindedly. A pleasant electric current flowed through her veins and nerves from the thrill.  She bit her lips slightly to make sure she was not dreaming, and to conceal her excited phase. Her ideal type was literally serenading in front of her. She melted a little inside as he sang more - unable to look at his face, she smiled and diverted her gaze away from him as his eyes' intensity was to much for her to handle. Then, he was slowly lowering her hand and squeezed her hand, while she felt a small roll of paper. She looked at him with a puzzled expression. Kris slightly squeezed her hand again, as if telling her to take that small roll of paper. She understood it straightaway and took it by safely tucking it between her fingers. 

The rest of the concert was filled with her mind racing back and forth. Her inner goddess was dancing conga with happiness. She felt a little dizzy with exhilaration. She has not read the paper scroll yet but she was glowing. Girls who were surrounding her were throwing her dirty looks while some reached for her and said 'you're so lucky!' she would nod and reply 'thank you' to each and every one of them since she know that it might not be easy for them to congratulate someone their celebrity crushed serenaded to. 

After the concert, she headed out to the after party with Fey since Fey was nagging so much despite her ears were hurt to oblivion. The paper scroll was still in her hands for she left her purse in her car's dashboard for safety reasons. As she was walking towards the VVIP hall where the party was going to be held, her hair was yanked by a great force. She gasped, and collapsed to floor in pain. 

"WHY. DID. YOU. STEAL. MY. OPPA?!" a girl's voice appeared and each word was accompanied with a hit on her body. She held up her arms to protect from the girl, and calledout  for Fey, who came to her rescue and started defending her, "Baby cake! Oh my god! What has she ever done to you for you to hit her this badly?! SECURITY!! DO YOU NOT KNOW WHO I AM?" 

"Who are you?" the girl asked her with an arrogant air. 

"Liu Fey," Fey answered, "Ever heard of Liu Management Firm, right? You are looking at its successor. SECURITY!" Tigress Fey, as how people like to call Fey when Fey gets serious, has finally appeared and started storming in the hall with rage. Fey got a hold of the girl's hand and started dragging her, "I'm going to hand you in to security for hurting my friend. Oh just you wait." 

Fey disappeard with the girl and the first aid team ran to her rescue. Her face, as well as her right arm, was bruised and her scalp was tingling. After a thorough check-up, she was let go and Fey came to see her. 

"Baby cake, are you alright?" She nodded at Fey's question. "I'm so sorry, baby cake. I didn't know the fans could turn out to be this scary." 

"It's all right, Fey. I can understand their feelings," she replied, "what did you do to her?" 

"Her?" Fey echoed, "I handed her to the police. I'm sure they'll just take her name before sending her home so that she learns a lesson. Seriously, how could she hurt someone like this. You still want to go to the after party?

"Perhaps not," she replied calmly and headed towards the car park, "I think the experience was enough." 

~~~

The next day, she couldn't go to work. To her horror, the bruises swelled up and she was in high fever. She felt like a truck had hit her and she could hardly lift up her arm. Her assistant, Jeremy, scolded her for not telling him that she'd be going to the concert because he wanted to go too and also he forbade her to come into office or else he'll contact Fey to send her back home. Fey is the only person she will listen to. 

As for the little paper scroll, it was lost during the chaos from the night before. She felt a little sad and a little delighted at that. Her pride and ego is too big for her to contact a man first, especially to call someone who made her heart beat excitedly for the first time ever in life. But she just could not shake off her pride as a woman. The fact that she got hurt upon getting attention from him also made her reluctant added to the reluctancy.

"Perhaps it's for the best," she whispered to herself as she ate the porridge made for her by the aunty who takes care of her. 

~~~

"Jeremy. Jeremy. Jeremy," she rapped the same word again and again as she called him up on route after a meeting, "Where am I heading next?". Her world was back to normal - meetings, sketches, brand expansion, sleepless nights. For some reason, she enjoyed being busy, which Jeremy named as 'obsessive workaholic.'

"Jie," Jeremy read her agenda from the other end of line, "you have to come back here to meet with their reps for a meeting." 

"Oh right," she exclaimed. She was contacted by SM entertainment to design an exclusive line for EXO for the comeback. At first, she denied to even review the proposal because of the trauma she experience a while back, but Jeremy called her stupid, which caused her to change her mind and read the proposal. It was a tempting offer. She knew that if she did very well, she could be reaching out to millions of fans and that her brand would sell well. In the end, she decided to give it a shot and replied to the office to send their representive in. 

She was late. She knew that the representative is not going to be happy about it. She started cursing at herself in her mind for being so tardy. She scurried to her office on the top floor of the building. Jeremy handed her a file with a cheekly smile as she entered the foyer of her office, leading into her private office. She frowned a little as she looked back and opened the door into the office. She looked down and stuff all the papers into the bag. The representative was already sitting and she was ready to apologize her soul out. 

When she looked up, she met the familiar eyes with an intense gaze. "Hello~~~" she let out a cheery voice and greeted him. To her surprise, she could see the sheerest hint of red flashing across his cheeks and it made her giggle. The fact that he is so tall still managed to surprise her even though she had seen him for quite a lot of times. Even with her stilettos on, she barely reaches his shoulder. Or maybe the fact that she is really small and petite made him seem like a giant compared to herself. 

"Nice to meet you," she extended her arm for a handshake.

His face lit up into a smile and took her hand. The familiar thrilling electric current. She blushed.

For that moment there, all she knew was that her inner goddess is dancing conga. Maybe she should hold on to his hand longer. If things work out, maybe forever. 

~~~~