Chaos

25 Years

“This is endless-” Nana cried, “-and the dead-line is tomorrow!”

Amber sought her with a gaze and found the distressed girl slouching in a fetal position on the hotel couch. They had been searching through all the possible locations but none had produced any result. That- and the fact that they’re beyond tired didn’t help the situation in any way.

“It’s okay. We still got a few hours before the day ends.” Amber reasoned, “Let’s look through some other places. It could be that he decided to hide in one of the dingy motels scattered around.”

Nana cringed, “The man would’ve been desperate.”

The female detective gave her a smirk and resumed staring at the city map in front of her.

“Man, Changsha’s too big for us to scope out within 3 days.” She commented, tracing her hands over some printed symbols and lines.

Feeling a little down, Nana started to wonder whether all of their efforts were a waste. This Yin guy is harder to find than a live unicorn. Everything seemed more or less like a game of Where’s Waldo.

Only this time, Waldo held the revolutionary cure that the whole world needs.

It was insanity.

“Are Yunho, Yixing and Myungsoo off to that friend of his?” The girl lazily asked. Amber looked up from the paper in her hands and scrunched up her nose, trying to remember. “I think so.”

“How was our professor acquainted with this guy again? I heard they used to work together.”

“You just answered your own question,” Amber sighed.

Nana shrugged and continued messing around while the latter thought critically of all the places they should clear next.

Half an hour later, when they were about to leave for their search, Nana’s mobile rang.

“Hello?” she said.

Myungsoo was on the other end, panting as if he had run a marathon, “Nana-yah. Go call the other group at Beijing. Tell them to move- fast.”

“Why?”

“Just do as I say, please,” he grimaced.

The confused girl could faintly hear Lay’s shouts in the background. Something about Yunho booking a flight straight back to Beijing.

She sighed, “Myungsoo you better tell me what’s up.”

“Well,” he paused, trying to find the right words. “I think we found Yin Chuanlei and his friend at the guy’s house. A small building near the rural areas-”

“That’s great!” she almost jumped in joy. But after noticing his anxious tone, she suspected something was wrong. “Wait, what do you mean by you think you found him?”

“He’s dead. I mean, they both are.”

His words shattered what was left of her hope. “Wha-“

“Look, Jinah. You need to inform the others about this. I can’t really explain anything at the moment but I can tell you that this is Wu Jianheng’s doing.”

With the sound of her real name, the girl stopped panicking and replied, “Copied.”

When the call ended, she found Amber staring at her with widened eyes, aware of the mess they were into.

“We need to tell them… what? That we failed?” the agent scoffed in disbelief.

Nana bit her lips, “No. Tell them that we’re going for Plan B.”

 

----------------------------------

 

“Wake up, Kim Taeyeon!” Yuri exclaimed, swooping the duvets off the sleeping girl.

Taeyeon opened her eyes and squinted due to the sudden light. She frowned at the person who woke her up.

Yuri was fully dressed in gear, wrapped in a black turtle neck shirt and leggings with the same colour. A belt hung around her hips, and Taeyeon could spot her police badge with the pistol hanging behind. There was also a bulletproof vest strapped across the front her chest.

“How did… How did you pass the airport’s security with that?” the sleepy girl asked.

Yuri looked impatient, but still answered anyways, “This isn’t mine. We got this from the Chinese police department. They had been helping us ever since we came; although most of the discussions were made between Yixing and them.”

“Oh.” Taeyeon dumbly blurted out.

The female agent pulled her up by the wrist and handed her some clothing material. “Get ready fast. We need to leave soon.”

“Where are we leaving?”

“Yixing’s batch found Professor Yin- dead. Now that would only lead us to the other plan, would it not?”

Taeyeon nodded, taking in all the information. “Alright.”

When she was finished changing, she got out of the bathroom in a black t-shirt, a pair of combat pants and her hair up in a ponytail.

“Here, you’ll need this.” Yuri handed her a knife.

Taeyeon gaped at the weapon but still took it from her, “What... Why would I need this?”

“Just in case.” The other girl pointed out.

“Wouldn’t we be talking to his father?” she questioned.

Yuri rolled her eyes, “Oh please. Did you really think that the infamous Wu Jianheng would let us talk to him? We have to get through a number of his body guards first.”

“We’re going to fight, then?”

“In a worse scenario, yes.” She told her, “But the Chinese police force would be waiting outside the building if we needed any assistance, or if things get bad.”

Taeyeon almost laughed at Yuri’s words.

Since when were things not bad?

 

---------------------------------------

 

The situation couldn’t be any worse.

The man they believed to have the cure was killed, and Kris could bet his entire trust fund that his father was behind all of it.

He was just done talking about the arrangements with the head of the Chinese Police when Yixing ringed his cellphone.

“Gege,” the boy sound worried, “Will you be alright?”

Kris chuckled at his friend’s nervous state. “It’s just my dad, Yixing. Don’t worry so much.”

He heard a scoff from the other side, “Exactly. This is your dad we’re talking about.”

“Have a little faith in me, will you?”

“Sure, but remember one thing, ge. You might be honest- but the world isn’t like that.” Yixing said after managing a sigh, “Be careful.”

Kris smiled at his words, “I will.”

Even though not that often, Yixing would show his care and concern towards the older guy. Well, how could he not? Wu Yifan was practically his brother, although not blood-wise.

They had been each other’s company for as long as they remembered, since both of their families would never let them socialize with people beneath their class.

When Yixing met him, he knew he was different. Not like the spoiled kids belonging to some other wealthy households. The two had formed a great bond over the years as they grew up along-side one another.

Driving the topic back to the plan, Yixing asked, “So where’s the meeting taking place?”

“At home.” Kris said with a breeze.

Hearing this, his friend protested, “What? Are you kidding me? Do you know how tight the security is in there?”

Kris laughed, “Of course, stupid. It’s my freaking house.”

“You’ve lost your mind.” A groan was heard from the call.

“Come on, Yixing. All I want to do is to talk to the man.” Kris defended.

Yixing laughed sarcastically, “As if.”

“You’re right.” The blonde guy answered wittily. Suddenly, his friend had the urge to punch him in the face. This was not the right time to be joking.

“Whatever. Go die if you want.” He spat out.

Kris smiled, “Don’t miss me.”

Huh, some bond they had.

 

--------------------------------------------------

 

When he ended the call, Minho came strolling into the room. “Hey Kris. Everyone’s ready. Did you talk to the police?”

“Yeah,” he nodded, taking a moment to study the other boy.

Minho looked tired, but he always had ever since they came here. He wore a simple black outfit equipped with a belt to keep his gun. “Are you… prepared?” Kris asks cautiously.

“Yeah. Yuri looked through the arrangements.” He replied without a tone.

The Chinese boy’s eyebrows shot up, “Yuri? You’re getting pretty cozy aren’t you?”

“Not really. Were just the same age.” Minho yawned, not really bothering to answer.

For a moment, it was silent.

“You trust me, right?” Kris looked up and caught his section member’s eyes. The latter sent him a lazy smile and tilted his head forwards. “Of course.”

Kris swallowed the bile in his throat, “Are you sure? This could cost you your life, Choi Minho.”

“Only if you screw up, Wu Yifan.” He grinned.       

 

--------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

Author's note: FINE. Yuri is older than Minho in real life. But as you all know... I mess around too much with their ages in this story.