Final

On Princesses and Applesauce

Once upon a time, there were two princesses. The taller girl was named Connie and the shorter, Cindy. The two were the best of friends. They bickered and bantered about the tiniest things and their conversations often went from random to obscure.
 

One day, on their way back from princess school, Princess Cindy noticed Princess Connie had an outlandish expression on her face.
 

“What’s wrong with your face?” Cindy inquires. Being the smart girl she is, Cindy knows that when her friend’s lips curls downwards and her eyebrows knit together, it means some insane was about to go down.
 

Connie breaks out of her stupor. “Hey, do you think I’m interesting?”
 

Silence.
 

Then, Cindy releases the pent up air in her cheeks and dissolves into a fit of giggles.
 

“Hey!” Indignant, Connie pouts. She waits for Cindy to run out of steam, disapproval deepening when the other girl wipes tears from her eyes.
 

“This question is coming from the girl who gnaws the skin off of an apple like a crazed animal, and pokes food into with her forefinger.” Her tone was almost accusing.
 

“I’ll take that as a yes then.” Connie shrugs. “But is that a good thing?”
 

Now Cindy shrugs. “It has its pros and cons.”
 

“What’s one pro then?”

“Um. People might like you. You stand out. That kind of stuff.”

 

“What about cons?”
 

Cindy frowns. “Why the hell are you asking me these questions?”

“Why
not?” Connie counters. “Now answer!”

 

The other girl’s walking slows. She scratches her head.

 

“Interesting people are more likely to get kidnapped.”
 

“What the ?”

 

Cindy throws her hands up in the air. “It’s true!” But Connie shakes her head.
 

“Nuh-uh. Shouldn’t boring people be more likely to get kidnapped because they won’t have as many friends as interesting people? So people won’t notice that they’re gone.”
 

A finger with chipped purple nail polish wags in the air. “See, that’s where you’re wrong. Why would you want to kidnap a person in general?”
 

“I don’t know. For fun?”

“Exactly!” Cindy nods. “So why would you kidnap a boring person? Interesting people provide much better entertainment.” She points out and Connie is speechless. She shrugs again.

 

“I guess so.”
 

Right as their absurd bickering ends, the two princesses reach an intersection. It is the same intersection where they bid each other goodbye everyday and split ways.
 

“Bye weirdo.” Cindy gives Connie a half-hearted wave and the other returns the gesture.
 

Neither look back at one another.
 

Until Cindy hears a blood curdling shriek followed suit by the sound of squealing tires.
 

She whips around, frantic, to see a bewildered Connie being bounded by a muscled guy in the storage compartment of a U-Haul truck. Cindy catches a glimpse of the male’s dusty brown hair but not his face. The girl could only let out a strangled cry before the compartment was slammed shut and the truck rounds a corner, out of view.
 

After a long moment of staring at the curl of smoke the truck left behind in bafflement, Cindy sniffed.
 

There goes another best friend. She thought. Then, without another thought, the girl turned and trudged on towards her gleaming white castle.
 

A massive roar was heard in the distance. She smiles and laughs a zealous laugh. “I’m coming, my dear idiotic dragon.” her lips curls into a sadistic smile.

. . .

 

Meanwhile in the U-Haul truck...
 

Connie shuts her eyes to block out the sun. Once her eyes adjusts to the bright rays, she gets a good glimpse of this man. Her eyes widen in surprise when she realizes her captor isn’t a erted old fart but a gorgeous man instead. Connie couldn’t help staring. He was just so, so glorious.
 

Today is my lucky day. She thinks and blinks up at the baby-faced hunk in front of her
 

“Are you hungry?” His voice was like fondue. Like it was a mix of cheese and chocolate. Okay, so maybe she was hungry. But did his voice also sound beautiful or was she biased already?
 

“If you are, all I have are shipments of apples in those boxes.” He nods his head at a box.
 

“Apples sound great.” Connie says. “But peel them with your teeth for me because I hate the peel.” He raises an eyebrow at her but Connie continues. “I want some apple sauce too. With ice cream.”
 

“Sorry babe. The great Nichkhun has no ice cream for you.” He flashes her a smirk. The man walks over to the boxes in the back and rips one open, from which he grabs an apple. He wipes it quickly with his black shirt, took a bite with a resounding crunch and begins to chew. Connie’s eyes narrows at him and anger boils in her stomach. How dare he not share?
 

The kidnapper, Nichkhun saunters over to her, kneels down, and grabs her chin. He forces a kiss and transfers the “applesauce” into the princess’ mouth. It was so forcefully done, that she couldn’t help but swallow. Her eyes widened. What the ?
 

“Do you want to know why I kidnapped you?” He asks.
 

“Why?”
 

“Because you’re interesting.”
 

Connie busts her insides laughing.
 

After a while however, she grew solemn. A thought had struck her. In the royalty world, when a prince kissed a princess, they must get married. She casts a sideway glance at Nichkhun who caught it and grinned.
 

She melted and mentally threw herself out of a nonexistent window.

. . .

 

When Cindy finally arrives at her castle, indigo flames dance around her. Her gown catches on fire and incinerates the conservative, rose-colored outfit to reveal a dark crimson dress. Her feet are bare and her ruby nails glistens in the afternoon sun. Her hair transforms to resemble Einstein’s.
 

The dragon snorts flame out of its nostrils before he sniffs at the air. His mouth curls into a smile loaded with menace.
 

Cindy grins and throws him the treat of the day: a human arm.
 

“Another ‘friend’ lost again, Joe.” Cindy says and mocks a wistful sigh.
 

“Maybe you should save this one.” Joe replies, his high pitched girl voice contradicting his rough exterior.
 

“Well, she is an interesting girl. Who knows what I could get out of her.”
 

“That’s why you should save her.”
 

Cindy sniffs. “Well, okay, I guess. Since I’m pretty bored. Joe, fly me over to where she is.” She commands.
 

Nothing happens for a moment.
 

She glares at the , ty dragon who breathes out a puff of smoke and complies in defeat. He allows Cindy to hop on his back and circles twice in the air before taking off towards the scent of Connie.
 

“The interesting in this one is strong.” He sniffs.
 

When the two finally spot the truck, Joe stares at the U-Haul truck in confusion. “Is this it? Really?”
 

“Yup.” Was all Cindy says as her eyes follow a figure that steps out of the truck. “Omigod.”
 

The evening sky seemed to light back up again when Cindy set eyes on the beautiful creature in front of her. She grabs a fistful of her hair. “No, no, no, not again. Not after Jackson.” But it was too late. She was already in love.
 

Then, she sees something that would’ve broken her heart if she had one. Her to-be-husband was carrying Connie out of the truck in his arms. Even from above, Cindy could see his muscles rippling underneath his black wife beater. Damn it, Jackson used to wear that. She thinks to herself as she continues to stare at this godlike creature in awe.
 

“Descend.” She orders Joe and he yields. Cindy smoothly swoops down and lands Joe in front of Connie and the y hunk. Her finger points at the stranger with her friend in his arms, “You there, release her now. I order you!”
 

The gorgeous being sneers and gives her a wink before continuing towards the red bricked manor near by.
 

Cindy’s insides instantly turned gooey but she steels herself. “Why are you taking her to Hell’s manor?”
 

He shoots her a bemused look. “Because I own it, why else? Who are you?” He eyes the red bricked mansion with an impatient look.
 

“Her best friend.” Cindy immediately strikes a flirtatious pose, hands on her hips and a leg crossed over the other, even with Connie’s eyes glued on their conversation.
 

Connie’s eyes widened at Cindy’s moves and her face turned dark red. Her eyes narrows at her friend and she shakes her head slightly. Don’t you dare, was how Cindy read it. But she didn’t care. She never did.
 

“Ah, the two-faced ain’t it?” His face lit up in recognition.
 

“W-what?” Cindy can’t help but stutter.
 

“That one princess who changes completely after school hours, am I right?”
 

Connie stares at Cindy, who avoids her gaze. “He’s bullting.”
 

“Then what is with your getup? What happened to all of the nice, frilly princess dresses? What of that–” He nods his head towards her, “–dress that hugs your body too tight? Doesn’t it say something?”
 

“A-Absolutely not.” Cindy replies, narrowing her eyes as she crosses her arms. “Don’t judge someone so quickly.”
 

“Then should I say that I know you better than you know yourself?” He flashes her an infuriating smirk and continues to walk towards the grand entrance of the manor with Connie, dazed, in his arms. She was totally enjoying the ride.
 

“Wait!” Cindy runs in front of them again. “What are you going to do with her?”
 

“We’re getting married.”

 

“Eh?!”

 

Connie nods. “We kissed. So now we’re getting married.” Her eyes shoots virtual hearts at his face. Oh how she admired that glorious face.

 

The exquisite man echoes her gesture. “We’re going to my manor to dive in my bed and do the beep so I’ll have kids nine months from now.”
 

Cindy’s jaw drops open.
 

No. ing. Way.
 

But yes ing way. The two ended up getting married in a grand chapel under the sea, leaving a heartbroken Cindy to deal with the lovesick dragon, Joe, who had fallen in love at first sight when his glassy green eyes landed on Connie. They go on to have two daughters named Lily and Ellen and two sons named Banana and Apple before Nichkhun admits to his wife that he’s actually Satan.
 

But, Cindy also gets her happy ending when she and Jackson get back together after a couple of years. Poor Joe ended up spending the rest of his life alone in a cave high up in the mountains.
 

In the end, it seems princesses do get happy endings.
 

Just kidding. They all died horrible deaths.


But that’s another story for another day.