suspicions -

Water and Flame

❋ t w

 

The dimly lilted, downtown café situated just round the corner of the street was the usual hangout place for students from their high-school. A few of them even worked there – Woohyun included, and he was working the evening shift that day. Chorong was there too, as a regular customer, accompanying him while she rehearsed her closing act for a school function that was taking place in a weeks’ time.

 

For an hour straight, she made herself comfortable on one of the beanbag chairs, strumming away on her guitar as she sang her own creation. Occasionally, she would scribble something on her notebook – the scrunches on her face hard to miss whenever Woohyun darted glances at her.

 

As the people in the café grew fewer, Chorong’s soft delicate voice started to fill the quiet atmosphere, making Woohyun smiled to himself as he continued working behind the counter. After awhile, she gave up trying and chucked her guitar aside. From the corner of his eye, Woohyun saw her coming up towards him, sighing loudly.

 

“Give me a double espresso, Namwoo.”

 

He already had it ready for her before she even placed her order. It was her favourite drink and Woohyun knew she would ask for it, especially after working on something hard. He set the freshly made drink on the counter in front of her, where she had propped herself up on a stool. Chorong took it gratefully and started downing the drink thirstily.

 

Woohyun leaned forward and rested his elbows on the wooden top. “How’s the song coming along, Parkcho?”

 

Chorong messed up her hair in sheer frustration and let out a groan. Out of habit, Woohyun reached out to comb down her hair neatly again.

 

“I’m not sure if I’ll be able to get everything done by next Tuesday. Aside from the song arrangement, I still need to go through the whole checklist again and make sure we haven’t overlooked anything.”

 

“Don’t you have a team?” said Woohyun calmly. “What about Bomi? I thought she was supposed to be assisting you with this?”

 

“Bbom’s fine,” Chorong replied with a wave of her hand. “I just like to re-check things myself and only until I’m truly satisfied, I won’t be able to rest in peace. Oh! By the way, can you and Hoya stay behind on Thursday evening to help with the set-up?”

 

Woohyun tapped his chin thoughtfully, pretending to weigh his options.

 

“Thursday’s my only free day and I’d rather spend it cooped up in my room, playing video games – “

 

He saw her face fell.

 

“…but I’d be more pleased to help out my one and only, beloved best friend,” he finished with a grin.

 

Chorong rolled her eyes, but he could see her resisting a smile. “Whatever, you loser. Spare me your affections.”

 

Woohyun straightened up and flexed his muscles, much to her annoyance. “Should put these to good use, don’t you think? I’ll be there wherever you need me.”

 

“Don’t make me gag. What about Hoya?”

 

“He’ll be there,” he assured her. “He’s trying to get in Bomi’s good books, remember? He’ll be glad to spend time with her in any way he can.”

 

The two friends continued to chatter away about the things that needed to be done, unaware of the new presence that had slowly approached them from behind. He stood there for a few seconds, quietly studying her profile as she remained oblivious to her surroundings. He found himself smiling when she threw back her head, laughing at something her friend was saying.

 

Junmyeon cleared his throat loudly. And just like that, the conversation came to an abrupt stop.

 

“Sorry,” he apologised, even though he didn’t quite mean it. “Am I interrupting something?”

 

He directed the question at both of them, but his eyes were completely focused on her – and only her alone. He watched as her smile faltered, before shaking her head slowly.

 

“No, not at all.” She offered him a friendly smile. “What can I get for you, Junmyeon?”

 

Junmyeon. He liked the way she said his name. He liked the sound of her light, airy voice pronouncing his name in such a delicate manner. Like the sound of a harmonica whistling softly in the long, lonely night.

 

“Do you work here?” Again, he ignored her friend.

 

“Oh no!” she laughed a little. Too melodious, too captivating. “But Woohyun does.” She turned to the guy working behind the counter, and only then did Junmyeon throw a quick look out of politeness. “There are a lot of delicious drinks here. Just tell him what you desire.”

 

You. I desire you.

 

“Okay,” he smiled and settled himself down on the empty stool next to her. He nodded at Woohyun and said, “Just give me whatever she’s having.”

 

Woohyun held his gaze for a moment too long. He didn’t waver. He wasn’t one who’d crumble that easily.

 

And he wasn’t dumb. It was clear this Woohyun guy treated Chorong more than just a friend. He has feelings for her, deep feelings. Junmyeon’s presence only made him feel threatened. There was no way they were going to get along well.

 

“Okay. You want a cake or something to go along with it?”

 

“What do you say we share a slice?” he asked Chorong instead.

 

“It’s okay,” she started to decline. “I’ve actually eaten just now and – okay,” she relented when Junmyeon shot her a pleading look. “Just a little, I guess.”

 

“Hmm…” his eyes scrolled down the list of menu and they lit up when he found what he was craving for. “Oreo cheesecake fine with you?”

 

“Totally!” Chorong beamed. “That’s my favourite!”

 

“Awesome. It’s mine too.” He glanced up at Woohyun. “We’ll have an Oreo cheesecake, please.”

 

“Sure,” replied the barista begrudgingly. “Coming right up.”

 

Woohyun left the two alone as he proceeded on to fix the orders. As he waited for the drink machine to run, he couldn’t help stealing glances at Chorong, who appeared eager and enthusiastic as she listened to whatever Junmyeon was telling her. Once in awhile, he would lightly touch her shoulder, her arm, her knee – but she didn’t seem to be affected by his actions at all.

 

In fact, weirdly enough, she looked like she was totally comfortable with someone that she barely knows – and that just worsen Woohyun’s suspicions about Kim Junmyeon.