2/2

Is it Too Late

“If anyone here has any objections to this couple getting married, let them speak now or forever hold your peace.”

            Dongwoo shot a furtive glance at Sungyeol who stood frozen in his spot beside Sungjong. But Sungyeol didn’t speak. 

            “I now pronounce you husband and ----“

            The church door swung open and everyone froze.  Every single person was staring at the person who just opened the door: a priest whose eyes were wide open in surprise. 

            “What’s going on here? What are you doing in here?  This isn’t authorized!”

            Everyone got out of their seats and scrambled past the priest as they tried to escape. 

            Sungjong cursed as he felt someone grab him and drag him away.  The guests were in chaos as they all tried to escape before any police could arrive. 

            The truth was Myungsoo and Sungjong had a friend who was a priest but because same marriages aren’t recognized by churches they weren’t allowed to get married in one.  Their friend managed to find a time where his church was empty and that was the time slot where the two were supposed to get married.  It took months of planning to get all the guests there in time and make sure no other people would be in church to catch what they were doing.  And now it was all ruined. 

            Sungjong blamed Sungyeol.  It was true he could get married anyway.  Getting married in a church didn’t even make their marriage official.  But Sungjong always wished of getting married in one.  Today was supposed to be the day his wish came true. 

 

            “Come on.  We can sneak out the back.”

            Sungjong looked to see who was pulling him and glared at his taller best friend.

            “You!” Sungjong pushed Sungyeol’s head. “Ruined!” He pushed Sungyeol forward. “Everything!” Sungjong finished by kicking at the older’s feet. 

            “What? How is this my fault?” Sungyeol stopped and pushed Sungjong right back, “You were the one who delayed the wedding! Don’t you dare blame this on me!”

            “If you hadn’t said those words before---“

            “Well you chose to ask me about it!  You never questioned me the other times I said I love you!”

            Sungjong stood still, “Let’s just get out of here so I can kill you where I won’t be judged.”

            “I didn’t ruin your wedding; you did that all by yourself.”

            “Just move!” Sungjong chose to ignore Sungyeol and push him forward. 

            It took only two minutes before they reached the back door.  Sungyeol froze in front of it. 

            “Is it locked?” Sungjong asked, panic was in his voice. 

            Sungyeol turned around, “Maybe that priest coming in was a sign that you shouldn’t marry him.”

            Sungjong put a hand on his hip, “Are you seriously talking about this right now?  We can get arrested any second for breaking and entering into a church!”

            “Just tell me one thing.  Do you really want to marry Myungsoo?  You can’t even imagine being with me?”

            “Honestly, no.  We only kissed one time and after it happened, I felt like cleaning my mouth out with bleach.  You take nothing seriously and your interests change faster than the seasons.  We fight all the time.  There’s no way we could be a couple.”

            Sungyeol stayed silent and Sungjong wondered if he went too far.  But then Sungyeol laughed, “You still don’t get it.  If I’ve been serious about anything, it’s you,” Sungyeol gave a weak smile, “But you win, Lee Sungjong.  Go be happy.”

            Sungyeol opened the door and moved aside.  Sungjong moved his head out of the door and saw it led to an alley. 

            “Just go straight down here and turn left.  The limo should be waiting for you.” 

            Sungjong stood where he was.  He wanted to get away from here.  But just like before he felt frozen and all his thoughts were on Sungyeol. 

            “I hate you, Sungyeol.” Sungjong turned around to face Sungyeol, “Kiss me one more time.  If I feel something, I’ll stay.”  

            Sungyeol raised an eyebrow, “No.”

            “What?” Sungjong was shocked, “Isn’t this what you want?”

            “You’re asking me for a kiss, and if it’s good you’ll stay.  What’s that supposed to mean?”

            “It’s supposed to mean that maybe…I don’t know….”

            “You’re the one that’s stupid Sungjong,” Sungyeol began, “Do you think you can measure how I feel or how you feel by a kiss?  Do you think with one kiss you’ll know if you’ll love me or not?  It doesn’t happen like that.  I want you to stay, but not like this.”

            “But.”

            “If you want to stay then you stay because you want to.  I’m not going to let you decide with a kiss,” Sungyeol stood up straighter.   

            “Then there’s no deal.”

            “When was this ever a deal?” Sungyeol looked at him with sad eyes; Sungjong had to look away. 

            “I can’t just leave Myungsoo because I trust how you feel.”

            “Well your feelings count too.”

            “Sungyeol...I,” Sungjong looked into Sungyeol’s eyes.  His words died on his tongue as they stared at each other.  Then without a word, Sungjong turned away and ran down the alley. 

            Sungyeol moved to chase after him but stopped halfway down the alley.  He did fight for Sungjong and he knew he tried.  Sungjong made his decision; it wasn’t him. 

            Sungyeol let out a breath and leaned onto the side of the wall, his forehead pressing against the cold stone wall.  As if he’d been holding it back for years, he screamed.  He screamed with all his might, not even caring if the cops came and arrested him. 

 

            He spent an awful long time in the alley; time didn’t seem to mean much to him.  At first, he paced the alley, hoping that Sungjong would come back.  When the younger didn’t, he threw a tantrum and went around throwing a trashcan around like it was a toy.  After cooling down, he accepted that Sungjong was long gone. He fell down on his knees; he tried to hold back the tears that threatened to fall because he didn’t want to cry.  But he’d loved the boy for so long.  His tears ran down his face in ugly blobs, making his face puffy.  It was hard to breathe. 

So after telling himself that he’d be okay until it just repeated in his mind, he got up and walked down the alley.  If Sungjong was happy he was happy.  That’s what love was.  It was being selfless and making sure the one you really care about was happy. 

 

            When he reached the end of the alley and turned left, he stopped.  Even though he’d been chanting a mantra to himself that he needed to forget Sungjong, his mind was conjuring up an image of the younger sitting on the steps of the local supermarket,. 

            Sungyeol gritted his teeth and walked past, totally ignoring the younger, who looked like he was crying.  His conscience wanted him to pity Sungjong and comfort him, well ha! Not going to work.

            Sungjong looked up at him and opened his mouth but Sungyeol covered his ears and closed his eyes, “Lalalalala.  I know you’re not real.”

            When Sungyeol slowly opened his eyes he saw Sungjong looking at him.  The younger’s frown and tear stained face broke into a bright smile.  Sungyeol stiffened, “I’ll be okay.  I’ll be okay.  This is not real.  I need to find my car.”

            Sungyeol looked around to see where he was and exclaimed a bit overdramatically, “That way!”

            He turned slightly to see if Sungjong was still there.  The younger was looking at him with an amused expression. 

            Sungyeol put one foot in front of the other as he moved toward where his car was and then when Sungjong started following, he bolted to his car.  He reached his car and stopped as he tried to find his keys.  The delay prevented him from losing Sungjong, who just appeared beside him.  As soon as he opened the car doors, Sungjong slipped into the back seat. 

            Sungyeol slipped in behind the driver’s seat and looked into his rearview mirror, “Sungjong, just leave me alone!”

            “That’s not what you want.”

            Sungyeol started furiously hitting his head before putting the key into the ignition and driving home.  Sungjong would disappear eventually.  He just needed to keep telling himself that Sungjong was happy now.  He had to let go. 

            It was a silent drive for the most part.  Sungjong was staring blankly out of the window.  He was still wearing a tuxedo.  Sungyeol half believed that this was really his Sungjong.  But he would kill that thought as soon as it came because that would just fuel his conscience to conjure more Sungjongs. 

            When they reached his house, Sungyeol waited until Sungjong got out of his car before locking it.  Immediately after he locked the car door, he sprinted to his house and locked the door after entering it.  He waited for a few minutes.  Sungjong didn’t appear in his house, he didn’t ring the doorbell and when he looked outside of his window, there was no one. 

            Sungjong was gone. 

            Sungyeol didn’t know if he was happy or disappointed. 

 

            When Sungyeol woke up in the morning and finally managed to force himself out of bed (he was seriously debating staying in bed until he died) and headed towards his kitchen to eat something, he saw Sungjong sleeping soundly on his couch.

            And that’s when Sungyeol screamed.

            Sungjong got up from his couch and held out his hands as if ready to fight. 

            “Why are you yelling?”

            “Why are you here?”

            “Why else am I here and not on my honeymoon?  I told Myungsoo that I wasn’t sure how I felt about you.  Usually I wouldn’t care about how you feel at all, but…I couldn’t stop thinking about you when I shouldn’t have and it’s been bothering me.  I want to see if we can make things work,” Sungjong smiled, “You know.  Without killing each other.”  

            “GET OUT!”

            Sungjong looked shocked, “What?”

            “You aren’t real!  Get out!” Sungyeol held out a broom as he pushed it toward Sungjong. 

            Sungjong just rolled his eyes at him, “You. Are. Impossible.” But he left the house, closing the door behind him.

            Sungyeol scrambled for his phone as soon as the door closed and called the Kim Jang house.

            “Hello!” a bright voice answered the phone. 

            “Hey, Hyora is one of your dads home?”

            “Uncle Yeollie!” another voice came out of the phone as the person grabbed the phone from Hyora. 

            “Yongwan let me speak to one of your dads,” Sungyeol’s voice was frantic.  Usually he wouldn’t mind having a conversation with the two kids but this was important. 

            “Sungyeol what’s up?” Sunggyu asked. 

            “I’M CRAZY!” Sungyeol exclaimed. 

            There was a long awkward silence and then Sunggyu yelled, “DONGWOO!”

            “Hello?” Dongwoo was obviously confused. 

            “Hyung.  I’m going crazy!  I’m seeing Sungjong everywhere!  He’s actually following me around. He even told me he left Myungsoo.”

            “Why are you calling me about this?”

            “Well I thought maybe you could help me!  I’m going insane.  You need to stop me from going insane.”  Sungyeol was breathing heavily through his nose. 

            “Sungyeol.  Listen to me.  Listen carefully.”

            Sungyeol was silent.

            “Are you listening?” Dongwoo asked but before Sungyeol could answer he continued, “This Sungjong isn’t fake.  He’s real.  You’re not going crazy.”

            “But---“

            “He did tell Myungsoo he wanted to call off the wedding.”

            “What? Holy Mother of everything good!” Sungyeol screamed and hung up. 

            “LEE SUNGJONG!” Sungyeol ran out of his apartment but he didn’t see the boy. 

 

            Sungjong’s apartment was completely empty.  There were still some boxes in the rooms but for the most part everything was clearly being moved out.  It shocked Sungyeol for a while to see the empty apartment.  He wasn’t sure where else the younger could be.  Did he go back to Myungsoo? 

            “Oh god no,” Sungyeol murmured as he ran to his car.  He really acted like a crazy person back there.  He actually threatened to hit Sungjong with a broom! 

            After searching everywhere he could think of, Sungyeol retreated back home.  Myungsoo’s house was the absolute last place he wanted to check.  If Sungjong was really there, then it meant he completely utterly blew it.  Big time.  

            As he opened the door to his apartment, he heard a thud as the door hit something heavy. 

            When Sungyeol pushed the door and walked into his apartment, he saw boxes and clothes everywhere.  His old apartment was a bit boring.  Everything was either black or white.  He had no pictures or anything decorative to impress any guests.  For the most part he had books and law textbooks strewn everywhere for studying for the bar exam.  

            But when he walked through the apartment, it felt more than 100 times brighter and definitely more colorful.  Colorful clothes were contained in open boxes outside his bedroom.  There were pictures of colorful landscapes on one side of the wall.  There were flowers on his table. 

            “Lee Sungjong.  It’s really you.”

            The younger was lounging on the couch looking critically into one of the boxes. 

            “No.  I’m a figment of your imagination.  I always have been.”

            “Stop lying to me, smart .”

            Sungjong laughed as he got up from the couch, “You really thought you were imagining me?”

            “I didn’t think you would….I thought you’d be on your honeymoon right now or something.”

            “I told Myungsoo I loved him, but getting married didn’t seem right.  I don’t know,” Sungjong shrugged, “When I realized you really loved me, I guess it opened my eyes.” 

            “I love you,” Sungyeol walked over to Sungjong and put his arms around the younger.  He gave a sigh of relief when he felt solid arms hug him back. 

            “I…I don’t…not yet,” Sungjong looked worried. 

            “It’s okay.  I know it’s a lot for you right now.  You’ll fall for me eventually,” Sungyeol chuckled as he put a hand to Sungjong’s cheek, “Can I at least kiss you?”

            “You’re not the kind of boyfriend that asks for permission, are you?” Sungjong teased as he moved his face forward.

            Sungyeol backed away, “Hey I just want to know you won’t throw up on me again.”

            “Shut up!” Sungjong smacked Sungyeol’s shoulder, “I’m going to regret this, aren’t I.”

            “No way! This is the best decision you’ll ever make in your life.  I promise you that.”

           Sungyeol moved his face forward hesitantly and stopped midway; Sungjong smiled as he closed the distance.  

 

So the story is done!  Sorry I was late in updating.  I was on vacation and then I was sick and then other stuff got in the way.  I hope everyone liked it though. You guys weren't expecting the ending right?  It became crack lol.  I don't even know where that part came from but I just went with it.  

But I really miss yeoljong and I wish this story can recruit more shippers for this rare pairing.  

If anyone would like a PDF copy of this story just PM me your email and I'll gladly send it to you.  I'm making PDF copies of my stories these days haha.  

Thanks everyone! 

Bye yeom 

Toshi out <3 

yjhug_zps6e40eebe.gifYJ8_zpscc1054b9.gif