One Fine Day

I'm Sorry

It was one fine day, I was holding my mother's hand as we walked down the street, and I saw you. I remember because you were wearing that blue shirt with the collar, and blue is my favorite color. You were reading a book, next to your mom - who then stood up to greet my mom, they knew each other. Our moms did our introductions and I realized that upclose, you have a few cute freckles on your nose and cheeks. You didn't look up from you book though, so I just sat next to you and colored in my coloring book. I wasn't one to start conversations either. I was 7. I was shy. So we just sat there, minding our own business. We said goodbye when our moms stopped talking, but that was it. 

That night, my mom read me Cinderella. It's funny because I imagined myself getting married, and it was with you. I'd only met you but I already had our future planned up to our retirement. I'd liked to have raised baby turtles with you when we're old. When my mom told me that we had a playdate the next day, I couldn't contain my excitement. I had to tell you about our life together. 

I bought a ring pop.

I got down on one knee.

You ran.

I chased you.

Looking back now, I know I was wrong. I probably scared you. This strange little girl, who didn't even say a word to you suddenly won't shut up about your future together while chasing you down the street. I'm sorry. I kissed you too, when I caught you, huh? I'm sorry about that. I claimed your innocence at such a young age too. 

Having feelings for you inspired me to do a lot of things, though. I joined the church choir. I joined a lot of school clubs too, like drama, and cheerleading. I got the courage to start reaching out to other people. You eventually got over that traumatic experience. At least, I'd like to think you did. You never mentioned it again. But hey, I am sorry that I asked you to marry me. I was young, I was impulsive, and I just really wanted what Cinderella had.

We got older, and I fell in love with you again, and I found that love was better when it's true. This time, I tried to make things perfect, I didn't want to make any mistakes, I always put my best foot forward but somehow, I always ended up with heartache, and eventually heartbreak.

It's weird that when I think back to when we were kids, a wedding and a marriage seemed so easy to achieve, albeit scarring, on your part. I guess not everything becomes easier, even with maturity on our side this time. I got hurt by you, but that's okay. Because you know what? Loving you certainly did me more good than I ever thought it would.

So, I'm sorry that I asked you to marry me. I'm so sorry but, the impulse was strong. I not sorry that I loved you, but I'm sorry that I told you. Now I know, I was wrong.