Burn

Super

The night in the City of Yeohwa was always the worse for most people but for Taeyeon the Ungnyeo, it was when all the magic begins. The bright and colorful lights from the streets and buildings. The nonexistent stars beyond the poluted air. The shy moon that peeked now and then when the cloud got swept by the wind. And the warm smoke coming out of the street ventilation that rose up as high to four story high made the city like it was breathing its heavy life after the hectic day. Although of course the night was busier than the day but Taeyeon had this feeling that the city was more at ease in the night. Maybe because there were so many eyes were watching it when the night fall.

Taeyeon was certain that there was an eye looking out the city from the North in the form of a tall tower that was a hotel belonged to one of the most famous famillies in the city, The Jung. The pointy top was shining brightly like a searchlight in the middle of a dark ocean. The Jung was undergoing a major change in the head of the family and was now creating a name for itself to break free from the old one. 

By the day, the family was expanding their business towards the Southern Part of the island and out, reacing the mainland, with a lot of new and fresh tourist attraction. While in the night, Taeyeon was seeing more and more Jung's Men turning their color code from dark blue to light blue. Somehow a little too catchy for Taeyeon's eyes. The Men weren't doing anything yet - merely marking their existence to other family, making sure that everyone knows that the Jung was now a changed family.

Besides that activity, the city was quite peacefule with the recreational drug busting by the police or some petty fast food joint robbery. Nothing that attracted Taeyeon's interest, not until that night.

It was ten in the night and the Ungnyeo was watching the Jung Hotel shone so proudly at the end of her vision. Taylor, the little girl that was now her unofficial milk supplier, was beside her, sipping their beverages together amidst the chaotic neighborhood under the rooftop of their building. An explosion shook their stomach, turning everything in it upside down. It came from the Hwaum Intersection. A thick black smoke, darker than the night itself. 

Taylor quickly grabbed Taeyeon's glass as soon as she shoved it to her chest and watched her idol jumped off the building and disappeared.

"Go," she said softly with a smile.

**

It was twelve blocks away from the building Taeyeon was at but it only took her a very short time to get there. Amazingly, the crowd and the press were faster even before the firefighter. When she reached the intersection, barricaded by the lookers and the press, a huge pillar of flame stood tall, almost grandeur and beautiful, if the heat did not tell you that the fire was real and deadly. Even from a very far distance, Taeyeon could felt her cheeks were melting.

The earth under the flame was cracked like a volcano just swelled up and erupted there, spewing everything it got out to the air. Three protruding hose, huge like old trees, were breathing fire. It seemed like the city's gas line just popped. No one in the premises, though, and Taeyeon was about to think that this was just a pure accident. But when she saw a giant silhouette inside the flame, moving out and slowly forming its own form, she knew that that was a man inside the fire. He was tall, metallic and strong looking. He had no face. It was flat with two slits where the eyes should be. The body was heavy as it sunk a little when he walked along the asphalt.

"Iron Man?" Taeyeon asked herself.

The Iron Man came out of the fire so that everyone could see him clearer. The chin on the Iron Man was long, his torso was slender and the limbs were rounded with artificial muscles. As he walked to the side of the road, he took a parked car, lifted it over his head and threw the car across the street, into a store.

Then, Taeyeon raised her chin. "Haa... so it's not an accident anymore."

When she spoke, a man next to her turned his head and shouted. "Oh, good! It's the Ungnyeo!"

Soon, everyone cheered on Taeyeon and it annoyed her for being called that instead of her name. She moved forward with no difficulties and faced the man in the iron suit. "Hey."

The Iron Man looked at the puny girl people cheered Ungnyeo and stood in frozen. Beneath the people chanting, the reporters shouting to their microphones, Taeyeon could hear the faded sound of police sirene. Good, she thought. She'll get this over with fast and hands it to the police so she can get out of the heat and the noise.

But she was wrong. The Iron Man took her head and buried her in the fire, stomping her body a few times until she was not visible on the ground anymore and left her there to burn.

--