La Casa di Bailey

The First Star of the Night; The Collection

Chapter 3:

La Casa di Bailey


 

Within seconds after the loud bang, the door had burst open to a wheezing teenager who had run up the stairs three steps at a time. "Are you alright?" he asked, worry carved into his extraordinarily gorgeous face. It was the guy from earlier but now Joonmyun got a good look at him; he had the same light brown hair as his younger brother and the same jaw and curved up mischievous lips but instead, he had bright blue eyes that currently pooled with slight anxiety like a deep blue ocean storming.

When Joonmyun simply stared at him, too flustered from the sudden break in, Perth, as the boy was named, calmed down a little, looking around rather awkwardly in the room. "Uh, sorry," he said, "I was just, you know, alert. Mum told me to keep an ear on you."

"Isn't that a little creepy?" Joonmyun suggested, staring blankly at the tall boy gripping a sweaty hold on the silver knob of the door.

"Well...Uh...Yeah it is, but my mum's pretty weird so," Perth shrugged, as if enough was said about the face. Joonmyun knew that the lady was odd, from the little experience he had with Mira, and nodded in conclusion. "Yeah, right, so....if you feel hungry, uhm, feel free to knock yourself out in the kitchen. You can totally move around freely in the house too. Mi casa your casa." He clapped his hands awkwardly and Joonmyun couldn't help but feel bad for the guy. It was like watching a walking train wreck ready to happen at any minute.

"Do you have a charger?" Joonmyun asked before remembering that this was a wizard he was talking too. They're probably really old fashioned and don't know anything about electronics based off of the ridiculous clothing Mira wore yesterday. "Oh, sorry, never mind."

"iPhone? or Samsung? We got both, though, I see no use in having an iPhone anymore. The thing's outdated and can't keep up with Samsung's epic changes now that Jobs dead," Perth said, falling a little bit more comfortable with the dark haired boy. He seemed to have sensed Joonmyun's confusion and continued, "Mum has this thing about us growing up like normal muggle kids which include perks like flatscreen T.V.'s with three hundred channels in both HD and 3D and also latest phone technology."

"Must be a hit at school then, huh?" Joonmyun said, finally making an attempt to get off the bed. Perth led the way down the narrow, white hallway filled with moving pictures of - what Joonmyun presumed - the family members.

"It gets a little frustrating at the beginning of school years when you try to flirt with girls using 'Gossip Girl' quotes or something, and even more annoying when you ask what's their high score on Flappy Bird," Perth said casually as they made their way down a flight of stairs and into the kitchen. Unlike how Joonmyun had expected, Mira wasn't standing there making food that flew around and onto the table in the middle of the large room.

"So there aren't many people like me then?" Joonmyun said with a slight tang of disappointment.

"What? That grow up in muggle families?" Perth turned his head to look a Joonmyun before disappearing in the cupboard looking for editable food. "There are tons - Edgar! Where's the bloody Lucky Charms cereal? - I mean, kids in muggle families are far more common than pure-bloods, that's for sure."

A mean looking elf the height of 3 feet with a hooked nose and piercing blue eyes that were severely bloodshot walked into the room and directed the teenage boy to the box tucked between a box of raspberry muesli and a plastic container filled with flour.

"Thanks," said Perth and the creature gave him a genuine smile, the bloodshot eyes turning into small crescents.

"You're welcome Master Perth," his voice scratched against Joonmyun's ears as he spoke before disappearing into thin air, leaving behind a few sparks and a small cloud of grey dust.

"Either way, you won't have anything major to really worry about," Perth had resumed their conversation and Joonmyun snapped out of his trans staring at the grey cloud.

"Huh? Oh, uh, what should I worry about then?" Maybe Perth would be willing to tell him at least something he wanted - needed - to know. It was frustrating to have people just hand you boxes with enchanted parchment with expiration dates and having people simple storm in and drag you away by warping into a pile of aerodynamic mud.

"Money, I think that's gonna be your second biggest problem," Perth answered, serving up a bowl for Joonmyun as well. "Have you figured out how you're gonna pay for your stuff? I mean, there's tons of - oops, sorry, forgot you're eleven - that you need to buy."

Joonmyun's lips parted slightly but he shut his mouth tightly in a thin line. Where was he gonna get money from? His mum's out of town (kind of), he's stuck with strangers that didn't seem all too bad, and he's got none of his things with him.

"Good morning, lads!" a deep, manly voice broke the silence Joonmyun had set and in through a swing door came a tall man with thick rimmed classes around his deep brown eyes, lips curled exactly like Chen's and Perth's and high cheekbones that gave him a highly stern aura. Despite that aura, he was smiling widely, greeting Joonmyun with a firm handshake and his son with a pat on the back.

"You're home early," Perth said and the man beamed even more.

"I was just at the post office."

"I don't understand why we use the post office, old man, I built you a perfect landing spot for an owl." Perth gestured with his whole arm at the rather tattered looking wooden stick perched up between two small trees in the courtyard garden they had.

Joonmyun raised an eyebrow looking at it. "It looks old."

"It might be about six or so years old but it's completely functional."

"Either way, I got a few letters including a few from school," Mr. Bailey then said, dismissing the sad look Perth was sporting. "Here's yours," he said, tossing the parchment letter to the tall teenage boy who stumbled to get it. "And this is yours," Mr. Bailey, surprisingly, stretched over the kitchen island to hand a familiar looking letter with emerald green ink.

Joonmyun clasped a hand around it, feeling the thick parchment and the buckle of the risen letters that spelled his name in such detailed finesse it was crazy. Now that he saw the letter in broad daylight, he could see how real it looked, like nothing his imagination could conjure up.

"So this isn't just a dream?" Joonmyun said aloud, looking intently at the letter in hand. "I'm actually a wizard."

"Well, I should think so, though, I've never seen you do any magic." Mr. Bailey walked around the island before patting Joonmyun on the shoulder roughly like a caring father. "But first, do you want to get settled in your room?"

"My room?" Joonmyun tore his eyes off of the paper and looked up at Mr. Bailey's smiling frame.

"The one you woke up in. I've understood that you're staying there for quite some time."

"Isn't Hogwarts a boarding school?" Joonmyun asked, his brows furrowing in confusion.

"I meant over the summers. You can't spend them in school, now can you?"

But won't I be staying with my mum by then?

Joonmyun didn't say that though, his voice had caught itself in his throat before any actual words could be spilled. Instead, he nodded slightly, just enough for the middle-aged man to clap his hands together and say;

"Then let's get your things. They came this morning."

"Where's Mira?" Joonmyun said just as the man was going to leave through the door. Perth looked partially lost looking between the two's conversation but listened with a spoonful of cereal hanging on his lips.

"She'll be home soon. Just Hogwarts business first," Mr. Bailey smiled warmly, his curled up lips twisting upwards like the Cheshire Cat.

"O-Oh."

"Perth, come along, you'll help too."

"Aw, c'mon dad! Why don't you just use your wand?" Perth whined, settling his spoon down with a deep clang against the porcelain bowl.

"If we thought like that all the time, you'd be three hundred pounds by now, you lazy buffalo."

Perth groaned loudly, and impressively to Joonmyun, a long gurgling sound emitted from his throat.

"I sometimes hate his guts, you know," he finally said, turning to look at Joonmyun once the man had left the kitchen to go out into the courtyard garden. "He lives to torture us in ways people apparently call 'parenting'." He held up his fingers and made quotation marks at 'parenting' before pushing away his chair as he stood up to go follow Mr. Bailey.

Joonmyun reluctantly stepped through the open door - it had been partially painted blue whilst still showing its previous tainted white paint - and turned left, like the other two had done. There, stood a big black suitcase with Joonmyun's name on it and next to it stood an open box with a few things sticking out, covered by a thin piece of cloth.

"That's all she sent?" Joonmyun asked, his eyebrows rising slightly.

"Well, you don't know, she might have put an incantation on it," Perth shrugged his shoulders.

"She's a muggle," Joonmyun said flatly.

Perth's lips formed an understanding 'o' and he nodded in slight embarrassment. "Right, forgot - Muggle born."

Joonmyun stood back staring at the house whilst Perth grabbed the black suitcase and rolled it in. The dark brown haired boy stood in awe at the place, his lips falling just a bit open, just enough for a fly to fly in. The house, oh so glorious as it was, looked like something shipped over from the landscapes of Italy. Like a Tuscan villa, the house was a shade of sun dried pink, with white windows and a tiled roof in white. With a little sign that said 'La Casa di Bailey' which Joonmyun suspected was in Italian, the house looked authentic, with colourful flowers that bloomed like there was no tomorrow. But it was in the middle of a courtyard, surrounded by other buildings that just ruined the whole Tuscan experience - classic, Victorian styled buildings that would be classic for the inner city.

"We're in the heart of Bristol," someone said, creeping up on Joonmyun's still frame.

Joonmyun gasped, jumping in shock before looking over his shoulder at Chen, the ten year old with a rather heavy looking book in his hand. He stood no more than a foot behind him, enough to breathe down Joonmyun's neck.

"What?"

"We're in the heart of the city, if you're wondering. That's why there's a bunch of different looking buildings around."

Was this boy reading his mind?

"Why don't you guys just live in the country side if you want to be secluded?" Joonmyun asked.

"Mum's weird that way. She wants the best of both worlds." Chen turned around, walking away to the spot he had claimed his.

Joonmyun shrugged to himself, confused as to what was the deal with Chen. He was odd and annoying. Probably bipolar as well.

"Quincey! You plan on helping out or just gaping like a bloody seagull over there?!" Perth's voice yelled and Joonmyun stumbled forward, grabbing the box lying on the cobbled ground. Up the stairs he went and into the room he had woken up in.

"You can pack up and then I'll let you know when we're having lunch," Perth said, stuffing his hands into his pockets and rolled on the balls of his feet. "Chen's room is the first door to the left and mine's the one after. Down the hall live the folks so don't go into their room unless you're looking for trouble." He looked around the room once more before nodding at Joonmyun and leaving.

 

 

Three hours later and Joonmyun still sat with his arse on the exact same spot on the floor. Only a handful of things had actually moved and made him feel somewhat accomplished, though moving three books and simply opening his suitcase wasn't much. Things were going slow, and it was all because Joonmyun's head was trying to process everything.

He knows he's being a big baby, but reality spoke of a future without a possible glimpse of his mother. He's eleven; not really the kind of age that would just move out of the house like that. This also made him believe that a boarding school in the middle of Scotland - Chen said something about that when he walked passed - wasn't the brightest idea for him. He's a mommy's boy, one who depends so much on his mother for comfort and support.

"Joon, get over it," he said to himself, rubbing his face with a lazy hand.

"You know, you don't have to get over it so soon."

Joonmyun twisted his head so fast his neck made a cracking sound and he winced. Perth stood smiling against the red doorframe with a book tucked under his arm.

"Dad said it might be a good thing if you weren't alone, so," he patted the book with a big, closed smile before lazily settling next to Joonmyun, pushing the black suitcase for space. "It's Quidditch Through the Ages; First Edition from back in the eighties."

It was a regular sized book with a thick, dark blue hard cover and on the front stood the title in gold, along with something that looked like a little ball with fluttering wings. Joonmyun stared blankly at it.

"Quidditch is a sport," Perth explained, "kind of like football only you're in the air on broomsticks and you've got four balls to deal with. That," he pointed at the golden figure on the front page, "-is a Snitch; super hard to see and there's a certain player that's after it."

"A Seeker," Joonmyun said after Perth had flipped the page.

"Yeah, you're smart, Joon," Perth praised.

"There are seven players on board; three Chasers, a Seeker, two Beaters, and a Keeper. They've all got different rolls in the game - Chasers are offenders, scoring with a big, heavy ball called the quaffle. Beaters hold bats trying to fend off bludgers trying to knock off other players. Keepers....well they guard the goals. And the Seeker looks for the-"

"Snitch?"

"Exactly. You know, I'm a teacher but you're getting a hang of it." Perth smiled at Joonmyun who let out a small laugh.

As Perth explained for another hour about Quidditch and the fouls that could be made and some of the most famous Quidditch teams there were, Joonmyun sat and listened with an interested mind that soaked everything up like a sponge. It was fun, watching how Perth had completely shaken that gorgeous image into a dorky teenager who went crazy over Quidditch. The more Joonmyun spent time with the older guy, the more he felt like he could get along with this family, though, Chen was still on stormy waters as of yet.

"Boys! Food's done!"

Finally, after an entire day of just being with the boys of the families, did Mira's voice sounded. Joonmyun wondered for a minute where she had been all day but scrapped the thought away when his stomach grumbled loudly. Perth had already left, springing onto his feat like a starving homeless man in need for food.

Downstairs, by the table, sat Mr. Bailey at one end of the table, next to him strolled Perth into a chair and next to Perth sat Chen with a huge, mischievous smile staring at Joonmyun.

"Joon-honey!"

Joonmyun winced at the sound, still not completely okay with this whole situation. Mira clapped her hands before pushing the dark haired boy into a chair in front of Chen. Joonmyun sat down with unsteady feet and grunted an 'unf' as his back hit the backrest of his chair.

"Help yourself out, love. It's all for you," Mira smiled, patting Joonmyun on his shoulders before setting down next to him.

Things were flying around, bowls of cuisines from all over the world floating into different people's hands. Pitchers of water seemed to be filling glasses by themselves and a napkin folded down on Joonmyun's knees.

Joonmyun stared, taking in the new sight. He had no idea what to get; the table was full of different meat pies, pastas and all kinds of roasted chicken and beef. It looked great, like a feast and that got him thinking.

"Do you always eat so much?" he asked, still keeping an eye on the garlic sauce that floated just above his head and into Mr. Bailey's grasp.

"Oh gosh no, we'd be fat as cows. We're celebrating."

"Celebrating what?" Joonmyun inched further, reluctantly reaching to get a piece of pita bread before the whole basket flew into his hand.

"You're arrival of course," Perth said, a mouth filled with rice and red curry Joonmyun would never lay a finger on. Hot stuff wasn't his thing.

"Oh," was all he could say. He contemplated on being the nice guy and saying they didn't need to do such things but the look on all their faces stopped Joonmyun. Maybe he could be a little homelier now that he was living here.

Over the table, Joonmyun watched as the entire family conversed, occasionally laughing at their stories. Chen had apparently been reading a book about some wizard that had written a biography of his life and one chapter had him in the Sahara Desert with a talking camel that spit in his face every time he would fall asleep during the ride. What actually happened wasn't funny but Chen could apparently tell stories that made you laugh until your stomach hurt.

Then Perth talked about his internship at some dragon colony in northern France, about how he had been sent a letter of confirmation for next summer. Joonmyun's eyes had widened at the mention of dragons but no one paid attention to it. Perth seemed fairly exited, chewing his food with that little curved up smile of his and speaking with the same enthusiasm as he had during Quidditch.

"Oh!" Mira yelped, causing all the boys by the table to look at her. "We're going to Diagon Alley tomorrow, forgot to mention. Is there anything you'll need?" She looked around the table.

"I'll just go with you, mum. Need a new robe anyways." Perth stuffed his mouth with mashed potatoes.

"What's Diagon Alley?" Joonmyun quirked, and it seemed like the entire family had forgotten he was a new assessment as they had looked at him with wide eyes.

"It's only the place to go when in need for something wizardry," Chen spurted. "You can get just about anything you can think of there."

The rest of the family dinner was fairly normal, Joonmyun's kind of normal, with talks about freaky Mrs. Norris next door that always thought something fishy was going on at La Casa di Bailey, and talks about how Mr. Bailey's job was turning out. On that note, Mr. Bailey had requested Joonmyun to call him Uncle Semeon instead.

It turned out Uncle Semeon worked at the ministry, some kind of wizardly government over wizards across the United Kingdom, and took care of jurisdiction and prosecuted and skimmed through rows and rows of papers regarding delinquents breaking the law. Joonmyun had wondered how many bad wizards there actually were and when he asked, Uncle Semeon simply said in a flat voice; ¨Don't ask," like something bad would happen if he spoke of it. Joonmyun reckoned it was for the best anyways, getting unneeded attention was bad enough.

 After supper the boys cleared out the table with the help of Mira's wand, though Joonmyun supposed he should call her 'Aunt Mira' from now on.

Things flew in and out of the sink, being washed, scrubbed, and rinsed all on its own whilst the boys dried and stuffed the plates and glasses back in the cupboards. After that, the Baileys sat in front of their alleged 3D telly with popcorn and coke, talking about some new Spiderman movie they hadn't seen.

Just because, Joonmyun said he'd already seen it and opted for some time alone instead, in the comforts of the bright blue sky and the blazing rays from the insides of his -new- bedroom window.

"Wizard my arse," he muttered to himself as he stepped up the stairs with heavy steps. He dragged out on the time, thinking he'd wake up from this bizarre dream soon enough.

He stood in his doorway longer than he should have and fixated his dilating eyes on the silver box upside down on his bed.

How was that thing supposed to help him anyways when there's a stupid limit to the thing? None of his real questions were answered, just the ones that made no sense to him at all. But what had the dragon said earlier? Answers to those you seek it will come in time? Was Joonmyun just being really impatient? Maybe he was.

Joonmyun sighed and plopped down onto his bed with a little bounce. Then he groaned, loudly into the palms of his hands and rolled over onto his belly.

At least this place was better than some rusty old shack on the bad side of London. Then he would have probably killed himself.

"Do you need help?"

Joonmyun groaned into his covers. Couldn't he be alone for just a second? Seriously. "With what would I need help with?" he spat, muffled over the cushy comforter.

"Finding some answers, I don't know." It was Chen's annoying voice that filled his ears. He disliked it, gravely. Even just by listening to his voice, Joonmyun knew the er was half-smirking.

"About?"

"Look, I just want to help. I know you don't want to be here but c'mon, face it, mate," Chen's shoulder made a sound as the smaller boy leaned onto the red doorframe, just like older brother had done when he had come in with Quidditch Through the Ages.

When Joonmyun didn't answer, Chen shuffled over to the dark haired boy's bed, settling himself on the foot of the bed with a thick book in hand. Joonmyun heard as he flipped through thick pages until he stopped.

"'The family of Oliver derives from a direct descendant to Merlin. Though Merlin himself did not have children, his younger sister did and married into Oliver.'"

Joonmyun's entire head perked up as soon as Chen mentioned 'Oliver' and his ears twitched as they listened. "Does it say anything about generations?"

"Uh," he skimmed the page with his finger, "'One generation comes every hundred years with a certain title to obtain. He or she is tasked by the nature of Merlin to fend off an evil lying within,'" Chen read further.

"That's helpful," Joonmyun said sarcastically, dropping his head back down in the white duvet.

"'The tenth generation will be the last for there will be no more bloodlines following.' What does that mean?"

"How should I know, huh? I'm just a bloody muggle who's been dropped a whole bunch of incomplete sentences right down into his lap with no one to ask answers from. How the hell should I know?" Joonmyun spat, finally feeling how things were blowing up.

Chen held his hands up for Joonmyun to calm down but that didn't work.

"Why did I just have to be dragged into this mess? Why can't I just be a normal child with a little, broken family living with just my mum? Is that too much to ask? Why do I have to be introduced into a territory I know nothing about filled with dragons and unicorns and Merlin? I didn't ask for this."

"None of us do, Joonmyun. We're born into this," Chen tried.

"Oh no no no, Chen," Joonmyun spat, sitting on his knees inching forward towards Chen, "You were born into this, growing up knowing about these things. I grew up in Chigwell without any monsters, without any dragons, without magic." Joonmyun felt his nostrils flare as he spoke and he felt how his chest rose up and down in rapid paces from his outburst.

"Normally, kids would love finding out they're wizards," Chen noted once Joonmyun had calmed down a bit.

"Yeah, well, I'm not directly a normal kid, am I?" the older huffed.

"No. You're not. You're a wizard and in two weeks you'll be going to the biggest wizardry school in the UK. You better get your things straightened out by then." Chen left after that, closing the door after him with a small bang.

Joonmyun sighed loudly, grabbing a handful of his dark hair and pulling at the ends in frustration. This was going to be a long two weeks.

 

 

 


HOLAAAA!

Well, now that we've officially met, I'd like to introduce you guys to the story officially. This is a Hogwarts/Harry Potter Au in which Joonmyun dicovers he's a wizard. This is just the beginning of the story and I'm saying this now that there will be a lot more. It's hopefully gonna be an entire series, lets pray. And check out tumblr for the rest of the series. It includes side stories, moments, one-shots, and what nots. Please check it out!

So to those who find it confusing regarding Joonmyun's father, he was put into prison before Joonmyun was born, leaving his mother, Sandra, to take care of him until this moment has happened. Yep, thats about it.

tumblr_n5bzceftc61rqbeeso1_500.gif

Questions (because its tradition^_^):

1. How do you like it so far?

2. Am I confusing when I write?

2. What do you think the things in The Box of Oliver contains?

4. For a better expirience, I'll recomend checking out the 'Student Card's section on tumblr. You'll understand the story better that way.

 

4170 waving Suhos

tumblr_n5c2q8WLN51r973gso1_400.gif

 

Love

S