Broken pt.2

Catching the Heart

 

 


shat·tered - broken into many pieces.


 

 

A Year Later

 

“ Jongin! You have to snap out of it. I’m sorry to say this, but she’s gone and I don’t think she’s going to come back…I mean come on dude, its been a whole year and she hasn’t even replied to you once! Maybe its time to move on and forget about her…It sure seems as though she did” Sehun his friend since is trainee days spoke.

 

Jongin chugged another bottle of beer.

 

No… I refuse to believe that. She wouldn’t just forget about me… would she?’ Jongin thought.

 

“Shut up Sehun. She wouldn’t leave me like that with no goodbye or anything. She’s not that kind of person…and plus if she really wanted us to be over she would have sent a divorce file or something! I refuse to believe that. No! I know that something is not right…”

“I know I made a mistake, I know and I’m guilty as , but I honestly have this feeling that she left for some other reason…” Jongin said while staring at his friend in the eye.

 

“You’re delusional…” Sehun sighed.

 

             It’s been a year since Minah left Jongin to get her cancer treatment. Minah left Jongin without a goodbye or anything because she believed that she would do no good for him if she stayed. She would be a baggage to him and she didn’t want that. Minah believed that it wasn’t a coincidence that she got cancer around the same time Jongin fell in love with another girl. 

 

            ‘ God wanted him to fall in love with another person because I’m going to die soon…’ Minah convinced herself.

           

            ‘ He deserves his happiness…’

 

            Minah has been going through cancer treatment for the past year. She had no more hair, no more healthy looking skin, no more fashionable clothes to wear, and most importantly, no more happiness. Going through this cancer treatment was painful and agonizing. At times when she felt like dying and her patience level rose to the top she would often think ‘ Why must I go through all this pain, if in the end I wont get the one thing I want and love…’ There were times where she wanted to give up , where she cried herself to sleep and refused to believe that she really did have cancer. She wanted to believe that it was all one cruel nightmare, but no matter how much she prayed and pinched herself, she was still in the hospital, on her hospital bed, with a bunch of machines and needles around her.

 

            As of now, she was sitting up on her bed thinking back to all the memories with Jongin. At first she tried to forget him and move on, but after a while she grasped that there was no point of trying to forget him, she realized she might as well think of all their happy memories while she has the time. Anyways, its not like she could forget even if she wanted to. Minah knew she didn’t have much time left; the nurses and doctor always tried to give her hope and tell her that things would get better. But she knew better, the doctor always said this when the results come out on Monday every week. He’s been telling her this for the past year every week. She lost faith a long time ago. In the beginning, when she was first hospitalized, she would look forward to Monday where the doctor would tell her the results and how things were going. She used to have hope… she used to believe that she would get rid of the cancer and will be in the arms of Jongin soon.

 

How foolish I was then…that will never happen’  

 

            It’s Monday today and Minah’s waiting for the doctor to walk in with his brown clipboard and probably a frown on his face. She knew better to hope now.  Although the nurses didn’t know that she knew, she heard them talk about her state for the past week. Sometimes she noticed the glint of sympathy in their eyes when they forced a smile at her way. This is why when the doctor walked in with a brown clipboard and a frown on his face like she predicted, she knew it would be bad news. When the doctor looked up from his clipboard and smiled she knew it was forced.

 

“Mrs. Kim…I’m so so so sorry. I know we tried and you fought really hard, but your condition doesn’t seem to get any better. You should prepare…” The doctor said with sorrow and left the room.

 

Minah knew what he meant by prepare… she was going to die soon. She felt tears start dripping down her cheeks. ‘You knew this was coming, why are you crying!’ She thought she’d be okay once the doctor announced it , but to hear him say it himself to her, she felt even the tiniest bit of her hope she had left, crushed. Minah reached for the little shelf beside her bed. She opened it

 and reached for the photo of her and Jongin. It was a selfie they took a few years ago when they were at the amusement park. She held it near her chest and curled into a ball and continued to cry. ‘ Jongin…I guess this really is the end. I’ll never see you again.’

 

Kai’s Pov

 

Jongin was at his house with the Exo members by his side. They were playing xbox and eating snacks making a mess all over the floor. Although the group retired a few years ago they still had nights like these where they met and did some catching up. After hours of playing they started to get into the serious mode, like they always did. This was the time where they confessed there feelings to each other and other things, like their problems that they are facing these days and like that. Chanyeol spoke up first.

 

“Guys my mom has cancer…”

 

All twelve boys stopped their actions and sat motionless.

 

“ What? Im so sorry chanyeol…Is she going to be okay?” Suho asked.

 

“ I don’t know for sure, but I have to go with her to check her in at the hospital next week…” Chanyeol replied trying to keep her tears in.

 

All the members crowded around to comfort him.

 

A week later

 

            “ Jongin! You wouldn’t believe who I just saw1” Chanyeol screamed through his phone.

 

            “ WTF CHANYEOL ITS LITTERALLY 6 IN THE MORNING” Jongin screamed.

 

            “Listen Jongin I promise this will be worth it. I saw Minah here. At first I didn’t believe my eyes, but when I heard her name being called I knew it was her.

 

            Jongin sat right up on his bed, trying to find his words.

 

            “What…? Where did you see her Chanyeol!” his voice raised with excitement. He would finally be able to see his Minah. He felt as if he received his life again.

 

            “ Jongin….I’m at the hospital for cancer treatment cause of my mom remember?”

 

And just like that…his life was taken away. Again.

 

“No she must be there for some other reason! Right??” Jongin exclaimed. Panicked.

 

“ Jongin I know how you feel, trust me I do…But its true she was in a hospital gown and oh god Jongin she had no hair…” Chanyeol said with so much sadness Jongin had no choice, but to believe him.

 

Jongin fought his tears back. “ Send me the hospital address I’m on my way.” With that he jumped off his bed, put some clothes on, and went in his car at lightning speed.

 

Minah’s Pov

 

            Today is the day. Minah could feel it in her soul. Today is the day she’s going to die. Minah has been crying endlessly the past week. She was depressed and refused to eat. Her skin was pale and her lips were had no more pink tint that her Jongin used to love. The whole week was a tornado of emotions for her. There were times where she borrowed the nurse’s phone and just wanted to dial Jongin’s number. She wanted to tell him how much she loved him. How much she missed him and how much she was sorry for not being a good enough wife. All those thoughts were swept away though, as she knew it would be the most selfish thing she could do.

 

            ‘Jongin is probably living happily with the Soojin girl…you shouldn’t disturb his life’

 

            She is clutching the photo of her and Jongin tightly in her small pale hands. She couldn’t let it go, not once. It’s the only photo she has left with him. She wanted to die with the face of Jongin planted clearly in her head. She missed hearing his laugh, and the way he clapped his hands when someone made a funny joke. She missed his beautiful tanned skin. She missed all of him. She regretted all the little fights they had. ‘If only I cooperated and let it go…you should have been a better wife Minah. Then maybe he wouldn’t have fallen for another girl.

 

            Minah let a few more tears roll down her eyes.  Suddenly, she felt her eyes drooping and the world spinning around her. She quickly pressed the red button for the doctor. She heard the nurse’s shout and bringing equipment’s near the bed. The only thing she could do was clutch the photo and bring it near her chest. She wondered if this really is the end. 

 

Kai’s Pov

 

             Kai parked his car messily and ran into the hospital. He quickly asked the nurse at the counter for Minah Kim and told her he was her husband. She told him the room number and Jongin quickly ran up to the elevator. The elevator was on the 10th floor. Jongin was impatient. He wanted to see Minah this instant. He’s been having this unsettling feeling since he started driving his car. Jongin sprinted to the emergency staircase and ran up the stairs to the 6th floor where Minah’s room was. He was panting and sweating once he reached her room. He lingered a bit when he reached her room door. ‘What are you going to say? Are you ready to see her…?’ Jongin woke up from his thoughts when he heard a doctor yell something to his nurse. Jongin quickly pushed the door knob and at that moment he literally felt his heart stop. There, in front of him was his wife, laying helplessly on the bed while the doctor was shaking her body, telling her to stay awake. Jongin didn’t know what to do. His eyes searched for hers and when he saw her eyes land on him, he couldn’t se anything but her. He didn’t see the doctor or nurse all he saw was his beloved Minah, as if they were the only two people in the world.

 

Minah’s Pov

 

            Everything was blurry, but I could hear my doctor shouting and telling me to stay awake to not close my eyes. I tried my best. I swear I felt the presence of Jongin in the room so with all my strength I looked at the door and our eyes met. It felt as if I wasn’t dying. I felt more alive then I’ve ever felt before. But I knew that there was no way it could be Jongin and turned my head back so I was no longer staring at the probably empty space in front of the door.

 

Your hallucinating Minah…there’s no way he could be here. It’s time for you to go.

 

Minah smiled. She didn’t care if it was just her hallucination. She was just glad she at least got to see an imaginary version of him before she died. With that, she slowly let herself close her eyes. Forever.

 

Kai’s Pov

 

            Beep Beep Beep the machine formed a straight red line.

 

            “NOOOOO MINAH!” Kai screamed.

            ‘No no no she can’t be dead! NO!’ Kai refused to believe his eyes.

 

            “ Time of death 6:45 Am June 21st 2014” The doctor announced.

        

            “I’m so sorry Minah, I’m so sorry! You didn’t even hear me apologize yet! Minah come back! I love you! No no no! Please tell me this is some king of sick joke! “ Jongin cried, his face in the crook of her neck.

 

             He didn’t know how long he cried, but once he gathered himself up and stood up properly to see her face, he noticed for the first time that his beautiful wife with once pure skin and gorgeous brown hair lay in font of him, pale and bald. But in his eyes, she was still the most beautiful girl he’ll ever see.

 

              Minah’s arm fell limply off the bed. The photo of Jongin and her fell from her hands and right in front of his shoes. Jongin crouched down to pick it up with tears pooling in his eyes. He stared at the photo and realized what the photo was. It was him and Minah smiling at Disney land. He realized she was clutching it even on the verge of dying.

 

                 He felt his heart shatter.

 

 

 


Hey guys thanks for waiting patiently! This story is finally finished and I'm so happy that so many people encouraged me and liked this story! I will miss Minah and Jongin, but sadly this is the end of their story....:( I love all you guys and plase wait for my upcoming stories!! <3