Head over Heels

Head over Heels

Laughter sounded over the grassy fields as you and your friend made your way over to the group of people sitting on the ground. Their laughter felt like a welcoming thing to hear as you both approached them with smiles on your faces. Not to mention the warmth of the sunrays that tickled your skin and made the day even better. It was nice that despite the busy city life, Seoul also offered huge parks like this. And with such a lovely day as today, you couldn’t be happier to finally have a chance to sit outside with your friends and have a good time again. But most of all : you couldn’t wait to see him again; Kim Taeyang. Or Jenissi, as he’d liked to be called.

You two weren’t exactly close and would easily be considered acquaintances to any outsider. But to you, and according to some friends, it definitely felt like there was more going on between the two of you. Not to mention the fact that for some reason you always felt butterflies stir in your stomach at the mere thought of him. It was even worse when actually seeing him. And as you approached the group and heard him talk in that quirky tone of his, you couldn’t help but feel giddy and head-over-heels again without a second of doubt. You definitely liked him a lot. And you did have some hope that your feelings were mutual. After all, according to his friends, Jenissi wasn’t the type to open up about his feelings for as long as he was unsure about how the girl felt. Up until then he would rather avoid talking about it or showing it too obviously. He was more the taking it slow kind of guy. Well, it was too slow in your opinion - to the point of being completely annoyed by it. Each and every time you came here you came with the convinced belief that he had no feelings for you and that you wouldn’t be swayed yet again. But it was hopeless… Hopeless and confusing. After all, other times he had hugged you, teased you with that cute smile on his face, he had tickled you only to hear your laugh - which he claimed was cute - and the two of you even almost kissed last summer.. Until he looked away and suddenly pointed out it was getting late and he had to go. But…Once the group of friends departed from eachother to continue on with their daily lives, it was as if he didn’t even bother to see you alone. As if you were nothing more to him except for a nice distraction for when he was out with his friends. It hurt. And that was the very reason you were fed up with how the situation was. Today you were going to find out what his plans were regarding the two of you.

"Hey everyone!” you and Kyoungmi, your friend, spoke together; making two certain heads snap up instantly. Jenissi and Yooncheol. You knew for a fact that Yooncheol had feelings for Kyoungmi and those feelings were definitely returned, but he made you swear you wouldn’t tell. Nor would he say anything to Jenissi about you. Still, another mission of yours was to bring those two together. And that’s why you plopped down in between Jenissi en Nakta with Kyoungmi on the other side. And so the mission started.

Hours of pleasant talking passed, laughter and jokes were constantly heard and after a while some people were even playing hide and seek and other funny games. “Yooncheol, catch! ” you laughed, throwing the Frisbee his way and smiling as he caught it. Meanwhile Kyoungmi was talking to other people and Jenissi was sulking in the grass. He was acting weird; sighing and rummaging through his stuff every second and occasionally glancing towards you. But at the moment you didn’t but much notice to it, since you were having fun playing this ridiculous game with Yooncheol where you even drew a face on the Frisbee and named it Nakta. It was silly because Yooncheol kept claiming it was actual proof he could fly and when the Frisbee got stuck in a tree, all you could do was cry you had lost your Nakta. This joke continued as you sank down next to Jenissi - who was still sour faced to the point of you worrying about it.

“What’s wrong?” You started. Only to get a grumbled “Nothing” in return. “Usually you enjoy times like these so I highly doubt everything’s okay, since you’ve been sitting here on your own for about half an hour now.” you returned, stating the obvious. It was answered with a glare. “If I was so alone, why did you two continue to play your fun little game? Is Nakta so much fun I don’t even matter anymore?” he shot back, making both you and Yooncheol’s eyes widen in surprise. It was unclear if the name ‘Nakta’ was directed to the Frisbee or the person who was sitting next to you. And that worried you. Up until now you had figured he hardly cared about you having fun with Yooncheol. He had been talking to various people and even other girls, so you were rather convinced he didn’t care… but now. “Kyoungmi-yah, why don’t you and Yooncheol try to get that Frisbee out? You’re smaller, it’ll be easier to lift you in the tree!” you smiled, fixing two things at once: playing matchmaker and having some time alone to talk to Jenissi yourself. 

Once they were gone you shuffled a bit closer to him, trying to calm down your frantically beating heart. “So…what’s really up?” you continued, looking at him with a sweet smile on your face. You didn’t plan on letting his grumpy reaction get to you. “You know me and Yooncheol are just having fun. You could’ve joined easily..” you tried to explain, but he stopped you midsentence. “I know. I know. I’m sorry I just blurted it out since I’m bothered.” he sighed, running his fingers through his hair, which made it messy - and almost had your heart fall out of your chest-. “Bothered by…?” you inquired curiously. Now you were really confused as to what was going on here. “I think I’ve lost my cellphone.” came his reply, making your eyebrows lift due to the randomness of his answer. You knew something was up but you seriously didn’t expect this. Then again, losing your phone did rather . So you couldn’t blame him for being sad. “AH really? Where did you see it the last time?” you said, now determined to help him and cheer him up altogether. “I don’t really recall. I think I placed it here and then went to talk to Seogoong… I’m not sure.” Jenissi replied, making you nod. “Well, it’s not like many people pass by here.. so there’s a smaller chance someone took it…” you continued, thinking deeply about it. He noticed the effort you were putting into this, which made him smile ever so slightly as he now turned his face to actually look at you.

It was that movement that made you aware of how close you were to him. Suddenly you felt the fabric of his jeans brush against your bare legs and you became awfully aware of how different the various shades of brown in his eyes were. Not to mention there was an instant flashback to that time the two of you almost kissed. “I.. Uhm.. We can ask everyone and all. I mean, everyone’s still hanging around, right..” you mumbled, feeling the heat rise to your cheeks while his eyes never seemed to lose yours. “A..And if someone else found it, we can still go ask that guy at the entrance of the park if someone brought it in. There’s a lost and found box there…” you tried to continue in order to keep your mind as clear as possible. But the only thing you could think of was how soft his lips might feel or how it would feel to have his arms around your… waist. You froze in place as you felt his one arm go around you and he held you by the waist and pulled you closer against his side in some sort of hug. “Thanks ____-ah. You really are amazing.” he replied in a soft tone that told you he was still worried about the lost object. While you were dying with happiness inside because of the hug. Damn it, keeping your cool and clearing out the situation with him was getting harder to do. But you could see feel that determination grow inside of you. Maybe it was now or never.

"You’re welcome. It’s the least I can do. I’d like to see you smile again, you know. You’re much more handsome when you smile." you grinned as the hug stopped, but his arm stayed in the same place. You could feel the warmth of his hand through the thin fabric of your dress and it only encouraged you to go on with this mission. If you gathered enough courage now; this could be it. The decisive moment in which you could win it , or lose it. "Ha- you really think so?" he grinned momentarily, but it disappeared right after. Yes - this was definitely the moment you had to do it. "I do think so yes. And you know what? I’m gonna try something that might cheer you right up." you grinned, watching his expression change to a curious one instantly. Though you didn’t have much time to see it, as you leaned in closer to peck his lips. It was a flash of bravery that swelled inside of you , or perhaps madness. You weren’t quite sure yourself. But as a wide smile spread across his face, you knew you had made the right decision…. Only to cower back in fear right away as you felt your heart beat so fast you were sure you were going to start squealing every second now.

"I’ll go check that lost and found box right now!" you suddenly blurted out ,surprising Jenissi even more… Since it seemed he still didn’t exactly recover from the kiss. You were starting to realize that even though you might’ve accomplished this, you were now afraid of how more confusing things could get because of it. What if the pattern from before would continue? What if he still didn’t talk to you or wanted to see you outside of these usual group meetings? It frightened you and it had you grab Kyoungmi by the jacket the moment she returned with Yooncheol and the Frisbee. "Here, my phone." you said to Jenissi, handing him said object. "Since it’s like a 10 minute walk to the entrance you can start asking for your phone here while we walk there. And we can call on Kyoungmi’s phone if you have any news." you blurted out, quickly pulling your friend away from the two boys since you were ready to freak out every second. And os you did the moment you were – hopefully – far enough from him and hidden by a tree. Soon, Mixed emotions were boiling over inside of you while you walked farther and farther away from Jenissi. Kyounhmi tried to calm you but you could only squeal excitedly and whine altogether… until…

"It’s him." Kyoungmi said as her phone rang. Your breath got stuck in your throat as you stared at your friend. "Well, pick it up?" you suggested. "Hell no, you pick it up!" she returned, pushing the object into your hands. "H-hello?" you were aware your voice probably sounded more squeaky than it should’ve. "____-ah? I have bad news, more bad news and really good news. Which one do you want to hear first?" Jenissi started, surprising you with how seriously he sounded. "Uhm… the bad ones?" you decided. "Well, you walked all the way over there for nothing since it turns out Hojoon simply borrowed my phone to call his girlfriend since he was out of money. And he forgot to give it back.” he started. "The other bad news is that the guys just informed me the company’s van is waiting on the other side of the park…In the direction you didn’t go to… and we have to leave… Now." you heard him sigh and you felt your own heart drop to your feet. He was leaving… And that right after you has kissed him? Oh god no… the pattern would continue and you still wouldn’t have any clarity when it came to the two of you. "The good news though…" his voice pulled you back out of your dreams. "I still have your phone and I’m taking it with me so you’ll have no choice but to meet with me tonight for dinner." he continued, and you could practically hear the fear of rejection in his voice. Did he really think you’d say no? 

"Well, I guess to get my phone back I could arrange some free time." you started, a grin growing on your face as you pictured the look on his face right now. "After all, I’m sort of expecting a call from this really cute boy I kissed at the park today, and I was hoping he’d ask me out. So my phone will be really useful and all." you continued, hearing his chuckle coming from the other side. "Oh, he’ll call you, alright. I bet he’s head-over-heels and already can’t stop thinking about you and the cute squeals you uttered the moment you disappeared behind that tree." he spoke, laughing shortly right after. You groaned loudly. “I’m just going to pretend you didn’t just comment on that..” you sighed, hearing him laugh again. “He freaked out even harder, ___-ah!” you heard Yooncheol yell in the back, followed by a loud ‘Ya!’ of Jenissi. “Okay let’s both pretend that didn’t happen and I’ll pick you up at eight, okay?”