Since U Been Gone - Awakening

What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger

Kyungsoo was your average student, if you’d call any student attending a mixed race academy average. Vampires, wolves, witches, warlocks, nymphs, etc, the list went on. Humans were at the bottom of the food chain. Kyungsoo was part of the bottom.

Kyungsoo was inconspicuous and he liked to call it his life’s motto to remain unseen, unheard or even thought of. Yes, Do Kyungsoo liked the life of a wallflower. If anything, it also meant he won’t be getting into any sort of danger with all the blood and flesh eating monsters roaming the grounds of the academy. He liked being omitted even from the gatherings that the humans had once in a while.

But his wallflower life didn’t last long. Now that Kyungsoo recollects the past, he realizes that a life like that was too good to last.

It all began when he was sixteen, a freshman in high school.

Oh Sehun came like a raging storm into his life, a wolf from a noble lineage. When the stone faced teenager approached him, Kyungsoo thought his almost normal life was ending. And it did when the silver haired boy told him, “Let’s be friends!” with a cheeky smile that erased his stone like expression.

Kyungsoo didn’t have the heart to say no. So he replied with a soft, “Sure.”

 

Things were alright, that’s what Kyungsoo told himself every time he would feel the threatening auras whenever Sehun crashed into him and enveloped him in a bone crushing hug. He ignored the jeers and disgusted looks that followed him wherever he went. He pretended he didn’t hear the whispers and insults about him being a lowly human and how he had ensnared a noble wolf.

No, because Sehun was his friend and friends stick together. Now that he thinks about it, Kyungsoo feels that he was very naïve.

 

Kyungsoo found himself facing a rather dangerous trio of female wolves on a rainy day. The smell of the wet earth enveloped his nostrils along with the raging dog like smell of the three girls. He cringed from the blood thirsty auras.

What he feared had happened. He was cornered and the rain was falling too heavily for him to call for help. Then again, who would come to his rescue?

The girl leading the group hissed out an order. “No one takes him but me.” The other two smirked at Kyungsoo.

“I’ll enjoy tearing you apart, human.” The girl growled with extra malice at the end of her sentence.

She swooped in with claws outstretched. Kyungsoo waited for the searing pain with eyes screwed shut. He would survive a little slash wouldn’t he? The pain never came. Kyungsoo heard the loud snap of bones and a piercing scream.

Kyungsoo frowned and snapped his eyes open when the unfamiliar scent invaded his olfactory nerves. A towering boy stood in front of him and on the ground lay the girl who was about to attack him.

“Next time you pull a stunt like this, it won’t be your arm but you neck that I will break.” The new addition to their little escapade growled out.

Kyungsoo noticed the submissive whimpers that left the trio of girls as they scrambled away carrying the injured one. Kyungsoo’s mind clicked with one word, Alpha.

The rain grew harsher and heavier as the seconds ticked by. Kyungsoo found the silence between him and the stranger comforting. The atmosphere was cut through by Sehun’s loud frantic shouts of his name.

“Kyungsoo! Kyungsoo!” the rain drowning out the rest of his shouts.

Kyugsoo stared at the back of his saviour. “Thank you.” He whispered and dashed in the direction where he believed Sehun was.

 

 

“Kyungsoo…” The stranger tasted the boy’s name with his voice and he liked it. His scent was what drew him in, but it had disappeared in moments with the rain. He imagined meeting the boy again. If only he wasn’t leaving for that blasted exchange programme he would find the boy.

One year, only one year and he could meet the boy again. 

 

 

Kyungsoo halted to a stop in front of the panic stricken boy. Sehun squeezed him against his broad chest and Kyungsoo only stood in Sehun’s embrace thinking of the alpha whose face he did not see.

Sehun became extra attentive with Kyungsoo as the days rolled by. Kyungsoo didn’t mind the boy’s attention, but sometimes he wished the boy wasn’t so straight forward with his actions.

Kyungsoo slowly found his heart flutter when ever he met the boy for their usual outings. Kyungsoo was seventeen now. Next thing he knew, Sehun and he were an item. Kyungsoo knew the dissatisfaction of the many supernatural creatures in the academy. But for some reason no one tried to harm him in any way. Kyungsoo vaguely suspected the memorable trio who had tried to hurt him once.

Months of being a couple, Kyungsoo noticed the changes in Sehun. The boy was always complaining and trying to doll him up. Kyungsoo wasn’t stupid. He knew what Sehun was trying to do. It was clear that the boy was trying to cover up Kyungsoo’s flaw of being ordinary by decorating him. Being with a noble had its clauses.

But Kyungsoo was no ones doll. Sehun can accept him with all his flaws or not at all. Kyungsoo had been bending to Sehun’s whims and he was suddenly very tired. Their friendship had been unstable and their relationship had only made Kyungsoo feel distanced.

He felt that he was the only one giving in their relationship although Sehun had made his fair share of sacrifices, if they were considered sacrifices.

 

Then Xi Luhan, a Chinese transfer student came. Kyungsoo felt their distance grow to the point where there was no longer Sehun and Kyungsoo. There were no explanations and Kyungsoo didn’t know what to call them anymore. Were they friends, lovers or nothing at all?

 

Oh Sehun had come like a storm and that storm had calmed and dispersed.

 

If they were ending it, Kyungsoo wanted it to be a clean break up. So, he went to search for Sehun on a fine day during lunch. It took him only ten minutes to spot the boy in the garden. Kyungsoo leisurely approached him, but stopped in his tracks when he noticed the boy wasn’t alone.

Luhan was lying on his lap. Kyungsoo thought the scene could be something out of a romantic movie if not for the conversation they were having.

“What happened to that human that you were with?” Luhan asked spitefully.

“Oh, him… no one special for you to think about.” Sehun said offhandedly.

“No?” Luhan questioned and looked at Sehun questioningly.

“Yeah, just some weakling I hung out with.” Sehun shrugged.

“But I heard you guys were close.” Luhan continued stubbornly.

Sehun raised his eyebrows. “He’s just a lowly human. You don’t have to worry your pretty head about it, babe.”

“You’re right. How can someone so noble be with something that is no less than food to us?”

Luhan hummed and sat on the boy’s lap and nuzzled his head against Sehun’s, mixing his blonde hair with the other boy’s silver.

 

 

 

Kyungsoo had left. He had had enough. He felt bile rise to his throat and he ran into the nearest restroom he could find. He spilled his insides out in a cubicle.

 

Kyungie, go out with me.

 

I don’t care if you’re human. You are amazing.

 

Kyungsoo’s knuckles turned white as he gripped the toilet bowl.

 

I like you. I like you. I like you…

 

The white material cracked under his hold and he stood up feeling his insides completely emptied. He staggered out the cubicle and approached the basin.

Kyungsoo opened the tap and splashed his face with the cold water. Breathing deeply he raised his head to watch his reflection. Deep red eyes with a tinge of gold stared back.

Kyungsoo screwed his eyes shut. He felt his body rage with emotions of betrayal, hurt and deep malice for a certain silver haired boy. It didn’t hurt to see Sehun with Luhan. It never did. What hurt was the fact that he was lied to. It hurt to know what Sehun really thought of him.

It angered him that he was so stupid. It angered him that the boy had thrown him away as soon as something else caught his attention. It angered him that he was disposable to the silver haired wolf. Kyungsoo had at least hoped that Sehun would be guilty because he believed that the boy was kind.

Kyungsoo’s blood boiled with rage. He slammed his fist down and broke the tiles lining the basin. He let out a deep sigh and stared at his reflection.

 He didn’t hate Luhan, he hated Sehun. But he wouldn’t act on his hate.

 

His irises turned sapphire.

 

Kyungsoo slowly felt liberated, as if a big burden was taken off his shoulders.

 

 He no longer had to pretend.

 

 

He remembered his parents who had been anxious since his eighteenth birthday was approaching. He fished out his phone and pressed the speed dial. He placed the phone to his right ear.

The line rang twice and his mother’s worried voice filtered through his ears.

“Honey? Soo – baby? Honey what’s wrong? Say something!”

Kyungsoo smiled lovingly. “It’s happening mom. I feel the changes happening.”

Kyungsoo waited for his mother to register his words. He pulled the phone away when his mother squealed out a ‘yeobo’ on the other side.

Kyungsoo hummed as his father rapidly told him to be careful until his escorts arrive. At one point his father urgently told him he himself was coming to which Kyungsoo vehemently refused.

He ended the call and observed himself in the mirror. His raven locks had turned maroon which was the same colour as his father’s hair. The rosy tinge of his skin was gone and replaced with a milky white glow.

Kyungsoo swiped his bangs away from his forehead. He stared at his face and let out a soft chuckle seeing the human cover that had been hiding him for more than seventeen years was completely gone. His fingers thread through his locks and Kyungsoo straightened himself. 

 

“This is going to cause complete chaos.”

 

Kyungsoo heard the distant murmurs of students approaching. He was prepared for this when he heard a student scrambling out the restroom while he had his little bowel movement earlier.

He sniffed the air and frowned. It just had to be Kim Kibum, the resident gossip king. Pixies were so irritating, especially their need to exaggerate everything.

“Is he really? Is he?”

“Oh, my God! I can’t believe it! Is it true?”

Kyungsoo didn’t have to strain his ears to hear the crowd talking.

“I can’t believe Oh Sehun impregnated that human!”

“The human is pregnant?!”

Kyungsoo stood there mouth gaping. Oh, he hated pixies.

He muttered under his breath and kicked the door down completely pissed.

 

The crowd jumped in complete shock as the door gave way and crashed against the opposite side of the wall. They stopped dead in their tracks as a very pissed looking Kyungsoo walked out oozing a menacing aura.

Kyungsoo’s gaze zeroed on the one leading the crowd, “I’ll beat the daylights out of you the next time you come up with a story like that, Kim Kibum.”

The pixie gulped and darted away leaving a trail of sparkly dust.

At the other end of the hallway stood two familiar figures, one with wide shocked eyes and one with a completely horrified expression. Sehun and Luhan had joined the picture. He didn’t give a flying about them at the moment.

Kyungsoo only shrugged and walked away as the crowd parted for him.

Principle Zitao is going to have a fit, Kyungsoo thought after leaving the scene.  

 

 

 

 

 

 

MehehehehexD 

So, that felt like a very fast set of events, huh?

As much of a child Tao is in real life, I can't stop imagining him as some authoritative figure who is smokingcoughHOTcough but a kid at the same time. 

I'm so weird... -______- 

I have no promises to make for the next chapter. I'll state it shamelessly, I am lazy, a couch potato... well not exactly, but you get the point. :) 

Enjoy your read and leave comments! <3