Final

Panko-Chan
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

'Oh oh oh oh, ppareul saranghae, ah ah ah ah mani mani hae'  The booming song echoed from one of the buildings of the street. Waking the morning people up. "Geez, are they still playing that? That's so last last last year." Menchu commented passing through the building where the loud music comes from.

“It’s the busy streets of Seoul, once again.” Seok Menchu sighed, facing the big crowd of people. She started to increase her pace to get to her destination. Slipping through the crowd of people whenever she gets squished and moving through the crowd, she finally made it in front of her school.

She inhaled deeply before crossing the road, caressing her necklace for a second, saying, “Always cross the white lines.” before setting foot in the dangerous roads. She always repeats her mom’s words to not forget them. She believes, they’re all important.

Repeating the same mantra while crossing kept her in track of what to do. She just crossed alone by herself, looking ahead her way.

Beep, beep. A truck honked its horn, bringing Menchu back to reality. She looked to her right and saw nothing. She shifted her head to the other side, seeing a truck rushing towards her without even a sign of stopping.

She was in complete shock; she didn’t know what to do. She just stood there looking at the incoming truck ready to wash her out of the world. She knows it could only mean death. And she knew, death is what she’s going to get.  She embraced the possibility that she’ll find her body in the funeral one day.

'Is it happening, I, Seok Menchu will die at an early age because of the most cliché reason; be hit by a car?' She thought to herself, still frozen.

One.

Two.

Three.

She didn’t move a single muscle. Yet, she continued to stare upon the incoming vehicle nearing her. Just like what she did about a decade ago, when she was just eight years of age.

Due to hunger and of course, a kid’s playful imagination, Young Menchu anticipated she needed to cross the roads to get to the ice cream stand at the other end. She wanted to taste the flavor of that yummy frozen milk.

She carelessly crossed, waddling her way. She thinks her plan was a success and continued to cross with her steps. She looked at her right and saw a bike, but she thinks, it could cause no harm. She gazed at the other side and found a car.

She was interrupted for a second and continued to look at the headlights of the car, though they weren’t switched on.

After all, her plan that was supposed to be a success is failing. A s a kid, of course, she can’t think of an escape plan; a plan to escape death.

If you think she’ll be saved by her future husband, just like Snow White being saved by her prince, no, she isn’t. Instead…

A voice called out, “Pabo, run!”

The word, ‘run’ awakened her as for run means danger. She quickly tried to get to the other end. But her tiny feet are incapable of doing so.

The car was just a few meters away and Menchu was just 3 steps ahead. Before she took another step, a hand grabbed her wrist. They ran until they were away from the street which is probably over-exaggerating.

As they passed through the ice cream stand, Menchu reached out her hand, but they continued to run. Ice cream… She thought using her baby language or whatever language kids back then speak.  

She tried struggling but it just felt like an ant was biting the person who owns the voice.

The person sat down in the corner of the street. Menchu followed.

It turns out; the owner of the voice was a 10-year old boy.

“What were you doing there?” He asked her with much concern.

“T-there?” Menchu repeated, completely clueless of what to answer.

“There, in the roads. Don’t you know it’s dangerous to get in there?” He cleared, now much frustration is his voice.

“Never mind, where’s your mom?” He asked, calming down his tone.

“M-mum…Mum…” She again repeated his last words.

“Uuugggh~ what’s your name? I’m Baekhyun.” The boy, named Baekhyun tried changing the topic to dampen the mood.

Baekhyun is just so concerned, I mean, what if Menchu got into an accident?

What if something bad happened to her?

“Hun-hunggie.” Menchu informed, having difficulty pronouncing her letter R.

She pointed her index

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter