Always By His Side

Always By His Side

“It seems like it’s about to rain..” Minho gave his younger friend on the swing a push to make the swing keep moving. Above them the sky had turned darker with the time, clouds where covering the last of the blue color before sunset. It wasn’t cold, it was still summer. There wasn’t much left of the vacation though. 

Minho never got an answer from the younger on the swing, but he didn’t expect one either. Taemin hadn’t told him a word for almost as long as he remembered. He never said a word to anyone. Not even his own relatives. He had simply lost the ability. It had happened long time ago. Before the two of them started in school, before their friendship really started. 

No one really knew why he stopped talking. People who knew Taemin well, could only guess. Was it the car accident which killed the boy’s parents? Was it the loss of his older brother and best friend who died of cancer just a few months after the accident? Was it all the bullying when he was younger? Maybe it was all of that together? Cause Taemin had sure had a harsh childhood.

A single cold droplet fell from the sky and made its way down Minho’s cheek, soon followed by tons of others. The elder boy stopped the swing and looked at the younger. “It’s raining now.” He said, holding his hand out as if he was trying to catch the droplets in his hand.

Taemin just smiled and followed his action. When he felt the cold water on his hand he looked up, blinking a bit as the rain got stronger and fell in his eyes. 

Minho grabbed the younger’s hand. “Let’s go. It’s getting worse.” He helped the blond boy up from the swing and dragged him through the rain and away from the playground. As the rain only kept getting worse, they started running. Still hand in hand they reached a building, opened the door and ran up the stairs until they were inside Minho’s little student accommodation. 

If they had left just a little earlier they probably wouldn’t have been this wet. But now they were soaked. “..” Minho swore and let go of Taemin’s hand. “Get out of these clothes Taemin, I’ll find some new for you. We don’t want you sick, now do we?” 

Taemin smiled and followed Minho to the bathroom where the elder found some of his own clothes and gave it to the younger before he left him alone to change. He changed his own clothes too now when he was at it anyway. 

The two of them had known each other for as long as Minho remembered. Taemin mom was a kindergartner, and had taken care of both boys. Minho went to school two years before Taemin, and in those two years the never talked. But when Taemin had started in school, Minho felt sorry for the boy. He himself knew the younger’s brother, a kind but ill guy. When the two of them had realized how Taemin was bullied they had instantly helped him through it. It had been the three of them together.

But then the accident had happened. Minho’s two friends lost their parents in a car accident, a normal Wednesday morning. In the middle of the first class, Taemin’s brother was taking out of class to get the message. A few minutes later the headmaster himself came to get his bag, telling everyone that the boy’s parents were dead.

Minho who had the same class as the oldest of the siblings had felt terrible. He knew how amazing the relationship between the boys and their parents was, and it hurt him badly to know that it was all over. 

He attended the funeral with them. His parents had actually told him no because his exams was coming up, but the need of being there for his two bestfriends had been so strong that Minho had decided to skip school for a day. 

The sight of the siblings broken hearted expressions was terrible. It had been the first time he saw them after the news of the accident, and the pain in their faces made him shed tears. 

Minho blinked when the younger waved a hand in front of his eyes and realized he had been stoning. “I’m sorry.” He said and Taemin giggled cutely. He was dressed in Minho’s t-shirt and sweatpants which both was way too big for him. They made him look even smaller than he was, but also kind of cute. 

A loud thunderclap made them both jump in shock and Minho looked the younger in his eyes. “Stay here tonight, okay? I’ll call your grandmom.” Taemin nodded and turned around towards the couch where he sat down comfortable, well known in Minho little apartment. 

After the loss of their parents, the Lee siblings grandparents had moved into their house to take care of them. It was a wonderful old couple, filled with passion for life. They were close to their grandkids, and the decision about the house had been made immediately. Everyone guessed that it would be most comfortable for Taemin and his brother not to move around. 

But unfortunately, the grief had made the oldest brother's illness even worse. The poor boy stopped believing that he would survive cancer, and died only a few months later at the hospital near their home. That, was another heavy blow for Taemin. Beside his grandparents, Minho was now the only one he got back in his life. 

Though Minho was sad from the loss of one of his bestfriends, he knew that Taemin was more hurt. He made it his goal to be there beside the younger, and later his goal to be the one making Taemin talk again. After the oldest brother’s death, Taemin just spoke less. Very slowly his language died, got replaced by nods and other body signs. 

But Minho stayed. Instead of finding the youngers actions weird and get scared away like so many others, he stayed by Taemin's side. He was there with hugs whenever Taemin felt like it, he was the one to wipe the youngers tears away when he cried, and he even slept with Taemin in his arms when the younger felt lonely. 

Slowly, very slowly, Minho fell in love with his bestfriend. He fell in love with his smile, his eyes and his silent messages. He started loving the nights he could have the sleeping boy in his arms.  As soon as he moved away from home he had asked Taemin to stay with him almost every weekend. 

Once again, Minho was taken out of his trance. He almost forgot that he had called Taemin’s grandmom, and got pretty surprised when her voice sounded from the phone in his hand. Quickly, he explained how they had gotten soaked in the rain and that Taemin was staying over. After hanging up, he noticed how the sun was gone and had left the sky dark blue. It was still raining, and he wasn’t able to see a single star through the dirty window in the kitchen. 

Turning his head, he saw how the younger was sitting relaxed and watched the TV. Now was the time. Now was the right moment to confess his feeling for the younger.  As he moved towards the couch he felt the nervousness building up inside, scared that the younger would reject him. He had no idea if Taemin ever had seen him as more than a friend. But now was the time to find out.

“Taemin.”

His voice was shaking a bit as he sat down beside the younger, pulling him closer as he always did when they watched the TV together. They were so comfortable around each other after all those years of sticking together like they were glued together. 

Taemin looked up, giving Minho a little smile to tell him he was listening. Minho opened his mouth, but no words came out. How was he going to tell the younger about his feelings? What was he supposed to do if Taemin rejected him? Unable of saying anything, and completely out of words, Minho decided that there was only one thing to do.

And so he pulled Taemin into his arms, lifting his head up with two fingers under his chin and laid his lips right on the youngers. 

He closed his eyes, staying still like that with a feeling of shock in his stomach over his own actions. And then the most unexpected happened; He felt Taemin's lips move against his. 

With soft small movements Taemin responded to the kiss, closing his eyes too as he deepened it just a little. The shock in Minho’s stomach turned into a thousand butterflies, fluttering around with their wings brushing over his insides. 

More confident, Minho caressed the youngers cheek and felt on his soft lips with his own, running his tongue over them to get a taste of the younger. No moment in his life, had ever felt more real and perfect than this. 

Slight panting was heard when they finally pulled away from each other, Minho more relieved and happy than ever. Looking into the youngers eyes, he brushed over his hair. “I like you Taemin. A lot.”

“I like you too.”

 

 


I apologize for typos and other mistakes lolol