The Golden Rule

P.S: Don't Upset Grandpa Oh

3 YEARS AGO

   I huffed as I held the books close to my chest, my feet rushing to the gates of the Jung High. I didn't want to be late on my first day. That would be quite embarrassing for someone being the niece of the co-owner of the school. It felt like my backpack weighed more when I finally stepped on ground of Jungsoo High, one of the most respected and known schools around the region of Seoul. Why? Let's say that Jungsoo is centered around sports and activities, but can also score high on a national exam.

   Jungsoo High is very hard to get into, and I have to admit, when I took the entrance exam to it, I barely passed. Seriously, I got the passing score. Fifty over one hundred. Think of that.

   I gulped and looked at the black iron gates. It looked intimidating for a non-living thing. I slowly pushed the gate open, the creaking sound imminent, but surely nobody would hear it right?

   I stepped inside fully and closed the gate. After that, I held the five books tightly and ran towards the doors that led inside, walking into a beautiful field. I guess the school's website wasn't kidding when they mentioned that they had a wide and prestigious soccer field. I realized there was a lot of entrance gates to the school, but I entered the one that I saw. It was nearest to me, and that's my reason. I shifted my books to the left as quietly as I could, patting my head to make sure no hair was out of place.

   A tight ponytail was always my style. I would never change it no matter what. I hated it when my hair was messy and uncontrollable. By now, you'd guess that I'm very meticulous. I rounded the corner, my footsteps quite loud because of the lack of people in the hallway.

The large windows casted the warm sunrays on my left side as I knocked on the principal's office. My foot tapped impatiently, biting my bottom lip.

I wanted to attend class very badly. I already missed three periods. I at least had to make it to English.

   "Come in," I heard someone say as I nodded to myself. This is it. This is what I'm waiting for. I can do this. I placed my hand on the doorknob, turning the doorknob. The principal's office is quite neat, if I say so myself. There wasn't a waiting room nor a secretary. The door led to his office directly. The walls were painted white, the smell of bread wafting through the air. The principal was sitting on his black leather spinning chair in front of his mahogany table.

   The principal was a woman, and from what I can see, she's quite short. She was wearing a simple long-sleeved white t-shirt with a pink cardigan covering it. She wearing a floral skirt that swished from side to side when she stood up and looked me in the eye.

I managed a small smile and raised my right hand, carefully waving.

"Hello Aunt Kim," I greeted politely, bowing 90 degrees to show my respect. As well as my ability to drop all the books I was holding.

"OW!"

   "What happened?!" A male voice clearly entered the room as I turned around, seeing a blonde boy. He had an alarmed expression on, his hands outstretched as if to help me, his eyes meeting mine. Very dark brown eyes if I say so myself. As if instinctive, I took a whiff of him.

"Carp Bread," I muttered automatically. He smelled like Carp Bread. My eyes traveling to his nametag. Oh Sehun.

   The boy named Sehun just rolled his yes at me, bending down to pick up my books. That's when I noticed what situation I was in. I could feel my cheeks burn because of embarrassment.

Way to go, Han Seungli. You just had to embarrass yourself in front of a student. Not to mention a good-looking on.

"Here," he suddenly stated as he shoved the weight of five books to my midsection, standing up immediately.

   "Oof!" I managed to mutter as I was knocked down to the ground from the weight of the books and the force he used to do it. I coughed and slowly stood up as my aunt, the principal, talked with Sehun.

"Excuse me Mr. Sehun, but I am not pleased by your attitude. And because it's impertinent of you to shove books to someone you just met-"

   "Are you the new transfer student?" He suddenly asked, looking down at me as I slowly got up, fixing my skirt and vest. I sighed and dusted myself off, my books and bag still on the floor. I nodded at him and out my hand to him, making him back away a little.

"I'm Han Seungli. A transfer student and from Incheon."

   Sehun just looked at my hand before scoffing, shoving his hands in his pockets and looking at me. He his bottom lip slowly, as if taunting me as I broke into cold sweats. Why wasn't he shaking my hand? Is something wrong with my hand? It seems to be clean, and though I know I have germs, he as well has-

   "So you're the Barely Passer. I heard you got fifty over a hundred on the entrance exam. How pathetic of you. And here you are introducing yourself as if you're in the same level as me. As if."

"Oh Sehun-" Aunt Kim started to cut but I interrupted her.

   "Pathetic? Excuse me Mr. Oh Sehun, who are you to put down someone?! Is this what you learned from your mother?!" I replied with a little flare. Seriously, is this how a first meeting should be.

   Sehun leaned closer suddenly, making me lean back. My eyes widened as I gulped, my tongue coming out to my dry lips. He didn't blink as he stared at me calculatingly.

   "If you ever talk to me again, if you ever come near me again, I'm going to make your life a living hell. Get it? Got it? Good. Ms. Kim, I'll be going." Sehun gave a curt nod to my aunt, and without another glance at me, he turned his back sharply and walked away, his back straight and proud, his hands in his pockets. I was breathing hard right now, my thoughts scattered.

Who on earth is as rude as this boy!?

Don't blame me for what I did just now.

"Aunt Kim, is that French bread right there?" I asked innocently as I pointed at the basket of bread on her table.

"Oh yes it is, why-"

"YAH! WALKING LIVING THING OF RUDENESS!" I called out to Sehun as I grabbed a large French bread.

   "Wha-" he started to say as I eyed him and used all my strength to throw the piece of bread to his forehead. It bounced off, but I managed to outbalance him a little to make him stumble backwards.

   I smiled to myself in victory. Sehun looked like he was hit by a truck. He touched his forehead that had a red mark before looking at me with a murderous and insane expression.

"Did you throw bread at me, little girl? Did you just-" He stopped talking as he took long strides to me.

   "Don't come near!" I shouted as I climbed on my aunt's table, jumping over and hiding behind her back, peeking over her shoulder. Sehun started to turn red, his fists clenched on his sides. He curled his lip back in anger as I stuck my tongue out at him playfully. He deserves a hit to the head. Or better yet the groin. Why didn't I aim for that?

   "You. Are. Dead." Were Sehun's last words before turning his back again, walking outside my aunt's office and slamming the door. Aunt Kim laughed and turned to me with a weary expression. She held my shoulders as I sighed in relief, eager to get that Oh Sehun out of my sight.

   "Seungli, there are a lot of rules in the school to keep the peace. But there's this one Golden Rule that the freshmen made up, and seemingly, everyone seems to follow it. Because of that rule, there hasn't been fights, reports of pranks and other chaos."

"W-What's that rule?"

"Don't upset Grandpa Oh."


   "Sehun! What happened to your forehead?" Kim Jongdae, the playful freshman, called out after throwing a can of cola to Kris who caught it clumsily. Sehun just stormed to his seat on the cafeteria table, towards his eleven friends that were like his brothers. He sat beside Kim Jongin, another freshman, but heaps quieter than Jongdae. The boys around the table stopped playing as they noticed Sehun's angry posture: arms crossed, jaw and fists clenched.

   "What happened at the principal's office, Sehun? Did you do something bad?" Lay, his hyung, asked in concern, blinking in confusion for he knew that Sehun wasn't like this unless he got busted or someone made him angry. Though the eleven friends of Sehun knew better than to make their youngest mad.

   "Yah Sehun, tell us what happened," Kim Minseok, his eldest hyung who was supposed to be a sophomore but was pushed back to being a freshmen, asked worriedly.

Sehun looked up at his hyungs, his mind still remembering Han Seungli's face. And the French bread.

"Someone hit me with French bread."

"Aw, kkaepsong~" Baekhyun cooed as Jongdae put a hand over Baekhyun's mouth. No one wanted an angrier Sehun. But Sehun didn't seem to listen.

   "Would've been better if it was a French Kiss, eh?" Chanyeol asked in a cheerful manner that made Sehun even more upset. But the friends were still listening to him.

"Hyungs, I think it's time to raise chaos in Jungsoo High. And I know the perfect person to direct it to."