Final

When I Realize...

            Loving someone too much that it hurts was always been Kris’ talent. And you’re the lucky girl Kris loves. So much.

            Kris was a special guy with sweet attitude; he’d cuddle or snuggle with you until you’re asleep, then he’d kiss your forehead before turning off the lamp, fixing your blanket, and left your apartment. His gummy smile, or even his deep husky voice, was perfection. His everything was perfection.

            Indeed, Kris was the dream guy of every girl – but not you.

            You didn’t care how many people had told you how lucky you are, but you’d just smile, nod, and say, “It’s nothing much, really!” And people would reply that you were being modest, when you were, actually, not.

            Because for you, Kris was nothing more than your source of happiness; money.

            Kris owned one of the biggest companies in South Korea. He was a really good CEO, and his company was very, very healthy that it was impossible to go bankrupt. Kris worked every day, but he still made efforts to see you. Kris knew he was rich, but he wasn’t the play boy type of person that would date every girl he sees, he only had one person and that was you.

            Only you.

            On the other hand, there was you, not satisfied with only having one source of money. You had Minseok, too. Minseok was Kris’ company colleague, and you knew. They were having important meeting at Kris’ company, talking about an auction of shares. That was the first time you and Minseok met – since then, you were in a relationship with him.

            You didn’t care about how hard Kris tried to make you happy, how hard he tried to show you how much he loved you, how much he didn’t want to lose you.

            You didn’t care either, how Minseok didn’t have the time for you as much as Kris, how Minseok barely said ‘I love you’, how Minseok wasn’t as sweet as Kris.

            All you care was, you get both of them. Both of their cards, their money.

            One day, Kris called you, sounding so frustrated and needed someone to talk to. He called you, with a big hope of getting freshened up a bit by his girl’s clumsy jokes, just her voice was actually more than enough.

            You were there, of course, but not particularly giving what he needed.

            “Baby,” he called. “My… My company went bankrupt, right after Mr. Oh cancelled our agreement because his company was my company’s last hope since…”

            “What do you mean you went bankrupt? I thought… your company was very healthy?” you asked, didn’t wait for him to finish his sentence.

            He let out a long sigh of frustration, “It was. But unexpected debts had me no choice but to sell my company and its sharing to Mr. Kim…”

            “Kim?” you raised your tone. “Kim Minseok?”

            “Yes, you know him?” he asked. “N-no, I just have heard about him before,” you quickly answered, didn’t want Kris to be suspicious.

            “Does this mean… I can’t get my latest Gucci?” you asked suddenly, the question you had been wanting to ask. “Not for now, I’m sorry…” he apologized, sounded more frustrated than before. “The money I got from selling my company wasn’t actually enough to pay all my debts. I’ll find a new job, then I’ll buy you the latest Gucci later. But for now… Please understand…”

            “No,” you said firmly. “I need the Gucci now. It’s limited edition, there is no later for my Gucci.”

            “B-but…” Kris was shocked, he got the response he had never expected.

            “And you told me to understand? No, Kris!”

            “Baby, I—“

            “Don’t baby me!”

            Once again, Kris was shocked to hear your response as he kept apologizing. You didn’t care how his voice getting weaker and weaker in each sorry. You didn’t care how he apologized with shaky voice. You never cared anyway.

            He promised he’ll buy the bag for you as soon as possible, but no matter how hurt Kris sounded, it couldn’t reach your selfish heart; the heart that was clouded with money, money, and money.

            You didn’t want to have a poor boyfriend, because you needed someone rich. An idea popped into your mind, the idea Kris didn’t want to hear the most that time. Or anytime.

            “I think… We’re done,” you said firmly.

            “W-what?” Kris asked in disbelief, voice trembling.

            “We’re done, Kris. I can’t be with you again,” you said. “And… Kris, I’d like you to know that, Minseok is my boyfriend.”

“D-don’t tell me you were c-cheating?” he asked, almost crying. He was afraid about what the answer was going to be, because he know you would answer…

“Yes, since the day I first met him. I know he was the one,” you said. It wasn’t like Minseok was really the one, you were just adding it up to make Kris hurt even more.

You quickly hang up when Kris mumbled some babys , hoping you’d gain your sense back. Hoping you’d be his again.

            Because Kris was okay if his company went bankrupt.

            Kris was okay if he was poor.

            Kris was okay if he needed to work harder from zero.

            And all he needed to be okay was you.

            But you… you left him. Kris didn’t have you anymore. And he was not okay.

            The next day was your first day without Kris’ morning call, or any other call. You felt a bit empty since Minseok said he couldn’t meet you today (too) because he got some important meetings when you called him.

            “I got 4 hours of important meeting,” he said. “The 1 hour is in Busan. You know how far it is. Of course I can’t meet you.”

            “Okay…” you trailed of, trying to understand his occupation. But before he hang up, you quickly asked, “Kris said he sold his company to you. Is that right?”

            After a moment of silence, Minseok chuckled. “Yeah, I’m great, huh? I just paid a worker of his to ruin the whole company system, and so Mr. Oh would cancel the agreement and voila, the company is mine.”

            “What?” you widened your eyes. “So in other words you… Sabotaged this?”

            “In the cooler version of saying, yes.”

            “But… Why? I thought you were his colleague?” you asked.

            “Everyone knows his company is very healthy, while my company is not. I will need his company later on, and Mr. Oh, too. He’s like the CEO of Ceo.”

            After sighing and saying good-bye, you hang up the phone. You didn’t understand business anyway, so you didn’t really think about it.

            You sighed loudly and looked out of the window, gazing at nothing particular. You didn’t know what had gotten into you last night. Why would you even say anything about Minseok, just to make him hurt? Was there some kind of a demon possessed you last night?

Your fingers ran into your hair in desperation, then you closed your eyes – trying to relax your stressed mind.

            You felt weird, you thought you had never loved Kris, but there was something in your heart. Something you couldn’t explain, but made the tears started to smoothly flowing down your cheeks.

            When you were just about to have your peace, your phone rang. You grunted at the small object,  but had no choice but to answer it since it’s from a close friend.

            “Hello, ____-ah?” he said. You hummed to confirm that it was you he was talking to. “I want to tell you that Kris had…”

            He didn’t finish his sentence, leaving it hanging. “Had?” you asked impatiently.

            “Had… Committed suicide.”

            You felt your chest tightened and heart swelled. It felt like something was on your throat that you couldn’t find your voice. Tears filling up your eyes as you dropped your phone and started to run to Kris’ apartment, not even bothering to take the taxi instead.

            All you had in your mind was Kris, Kris, and Kris. No money.

            “Wait a minute, Young Lady. You are not allowed to enter the crime scene. Please step aside,” an Officer stopped you. He gripped your arm tightly, but slowly loosened when he saw you sobbing hard.

            “P-please…” you begged with a shaky voice, lucky enough to get your voice back. “I-I’m his… girl.”

            “I see,” the Officer finally said. He didn’t have the heart to forbid a girl from seeing his boyfriend – or ex – for the very last time. “You may come in with me, but please do not touch anything since we still need to investigate everything – though it seems obvious he killed himself.”

            You nodded, trying hard to get a hold of yourself. “He died today, at 2AM, by eating these pills. I assume he took the pills around 12. The ahjumma found him this morning,” the Officer explained.

            Something clicked your mind, you quickly collected the pieces into one finished puzzle. It was 11 when Kris called her. In other word… you indirectly killed him.

            “We found a note here. Ah, you said you’re his girlfriend, right? I think this one is for you.”

            You took the piece of paper the Officer handed to you. You quickly burst into tears when you see Kris’ usual neat writing.

'I love you.

Yesterday, today, and tomorrow.

Even when we’re so far apart.

Even when you don’t love me.

Even when we will never meet again.

Even when you love another person.

And I can make sure of that.’

           Everything felt miserable. You felt dumb. Why did you dump him just for a damn bag? Why did you dump him just for money? Why didn’t you realize that leaving him means the end of the world for him?

           Why didn’t you realize, he couldn’t live without you?

           “You didn’t have a fight, have you?” the Officer asked. But you couldn’t even breathe properly, and luckily he understood. “I-I guess no. His last call and messages was to his male friends, and the only place he went yesterday was his company. I believe it was a great shock to go bankrupt for such a healthy company for him.”

            You looked up to the Officer with teary eyes. You got it. You got what Kris was trying to do. Kris deleted your number from his call history. He didn’t send you apology messages, simply because he didn’t want you to get involved. He wanted you to know that he loved you until the very last.

            The Officer offered you to see the corpse, but you refused. “I am already hurt enough to hear him die.”

            You continued to live without Kris. But your life seemed different, as if you were living a chromatic color life. Nothing made you happy, you were so empty and full of sorrow.

            You went to the café you always went when there was no one to talk. Ever since you dated Kris, you had never been to the café anymore. Because Kris was always there when you needed him, to support you, to talk to you, to be with you, to wash away all your sadness.

           It was actually hard to go back to the place, for it was the place you and Kris first met.

           Minseok had been so busy lately, so you had no option but to come to the café, just to loosen up a bit.

           You sipped your macchiato as you looked at the passers by – the thing you used to do. But you got choked when someone familiar passed, with a girl holding his hand. He entered the café, with a big smile on his face. You knew the guy well, really well. And you had never seen him so happy.

           “Minseok!” you called him in shock, you quickly stood up, eyes grew big. Minseok was shocked, too, but acted cool as if nothing happened. “I’m sorry, Miss. I’m afraid I don’t know you. One of my colleagues, maybe?” he pretended.

           You didn’t believe he could say something like that. You just lost Kris, and you were also losing Minseok. This feels familiar, doesn’t it?

           But the other time it was you who cheated on him, and dumped him when he was down, when he felt like the whole world was ending, when he lost the girl he loved the most.

           You never loved Minseok, you were sure of this. But it was still hurt, to see him holding hands with another girl when he said he was so busy and couldn’t have the time for you. Plus, he pretended not to know you.

           You grabbed your purse, and walked to Minseok, then slapped him. You didn’t even bother to see his reaction, you just ran out of the café. You parked your car across the road, and because you were so miserable that time, you crossed the road sloppily, not caring about any vehicle passing with full speed.

           But you didn’t feel afraid, because there was Kris. He was there, to protect you, to hold you. And yes, he did. He hugged you, and this time, you'll never let him go ever again as you and him are forever together now.


WOOOWWWW that was long *wipes sweat* I don't know why among those 11 gheis remaining, Minseok is the one that came across my mind to be the antagonist. Sorry uminnie <33333333

Tell me what do you think by commenting!

And, lovelies, do you mind to comment to share your thought of this chapter or story? I love you! If you subscribe and up-vote, I LOVE YOU TO THE MOON AND BACK <365