Prologue

You Can Steal My Heart

A sunny day in the downtown streets of Seoul. People everywhere. Left and right. The normal hustle and bustle of the city glints in the eyes of a 20-year-old boy, sitting on the doorstep of an abandoned cafe, looking for his next target. A smirk is plastered on his pretty pink lips when he spots a middle-aged woman waiting for a taxi on the sidewalk. Affluence is significant in the woman's clothing and stance. Her hair high up in her head and her flowy dress dancing with the melody of the hushing wind. The boy eyes her. She is beautiful despite her probable age but that's not where he's focused. His dark brown eyes are focused on the woman's neck where a twinkling piece of diamond hangs. One word. Alluring. 

The boy picks up his 183 cm body from the concrete and slowly moves towards the lady. 

He takes his time. Pretending to observe his surroundings while keeping his attention in his subject. 

Taking small steps, he approaches his victim. A taxi stops in front of her. 

On cue, the boy bolts forward, grabs the necklace and runs as fast as a he can away from the scene, clutching the diamond tight inside his palms. The woman screams "thief" but it's too late now. The boy is already too far away, speeding like a bullet through the exodus of people advancing towards him. He laughs. Laughs, because he feels estatic. Laughs, because this is money. Laughs, because he survives. Again.

He doesn't even dare to look back and see who's coming after him. He just runs. And runs. And runs. 

Sometimes, he gets tired of running but this is his life. 

He is safe. Or so he thinks when suddenly a hand grabs him, punches him in the face, and slams his body into an alley's wall. The man is stronger than he is, obviously. And also taller. He is wearing a blue uniform, and looks neat in comparison to the boy's thin shirt and faded jeans. 

"Where is it?" The man hisses into the boy's ears. 

"What?" His eyes are burning with rage. This is for his grandmother. Not for anyone else.

"Give it to me, or I'll slash your throat." 

"I don't have anything." 

Hard, heavy knuckles hits the side of his lips again. He tastes blood. "Lie again. I'll kill your grandmother for you." 

The boy swallows hard. What the . Slowly, he opens his palms and lets the necklace dangle in his fingers. The horrible man grabs it and smirks. Then pats the boy on his head. "Very good. Now, be a good boy and run. Before I cuff you." 

The boy has no other choice but to obey. With slumped shoulders, he takes small steps away from the man in unform. Sadly, his efforts are in vain again. Damn policemen. After he walks for a few blocks, a bruised face and a bruised heart in hand, he spots a small flower shop. A bouquet of pink Carnation catches his eyes. "On sale," he reads. "5000 won." He shoves his hands inside his pockets and pulls out a couple of bills. Counting it, he realizes he only has 2500 won. And he still needs to buys some medicine. The lady smiles at him and he smiles back. 

There's no way he is able to buy the flowers so he thinks of a better idea. One he's good at. He pretends to look around until the lady goes inside to accomodate another customer. Without any hesitations, he grabs the flower and bolts away. For the second time of the day, he is flying. 

He stops running after five blocks and stops in frontof a huge building. He is still panting as he walks down the white-washed hallways. A door, with the number, 312, greets him at the end of the long corridor. The boy takes a deep sigh and fakes a smile before turning the knob and letting himself be swallowed by the white door. 

"Oh, you're here." An old lady, sitting on the edge of the bed, smiles at him. 

"Work ended early. How are you?" Chanyeol approaches her and helps her lie down. 

"I'm okay. Never been much better." The old lady stares at him for a while and he dodges her look. "What happened to your face?"

"I fell at work. Here, I got you something." He presents the bouquet to her and he can see how her eyes twinkle with happiness. This is also one of the moments where he feels alive more than ever. 

"Thank you, Chanyeol." 

He can feel guilt creeping up his body but he ignores it. "You're welcome." 

"Are you going home today?" She looks at him expectantly. 

"Where? This is my home." 

"Chanyeol. It's been years. Don't you think it's time to forgive them?"

Chanyeol huffs. "It's been years, Can't you just stop nagging me about it?"

There's hurt in the old woman's eyes but Chanyeol did his best to be indifferent. Sometimes he needs to be two faced so that his grandmother won't suspect him of anything. He is sure it'll break her heart if she discovers the things he is doing behind her back and how he is getting by with their hospital bills.

To avoid the topic, Chanyeol stands up and kisses the woman's forehead. "Grandmom, I don't want to talk about it. You are my home. And this is where I belong. Beside you. Okay? I need to go to my other work." He lies again. 

"Take care, you kid." She tells him.

"I will." I'll try, is what he wants to say. 

Chanyeol walks out of the room and breaks down. The doctor said three months. 

The sun outside is still high. 

He needs to "work". He needs to save his grandmother.

He needs to save himself.

--

short update. will update this as soon as i can. 
unbetaed im sorry. :)