one

5 Minutes Late

“야! 너 똑바로 말해, 어디야?”

I sighed yet again. He was being extremely protective lately and honestly, it was starting to be just a tad bit suffocating for me. No wait, scratch that, I am already suffocated. If he was going to call me every 10 minutes, he might as well just chain me to him. That way, I would be with him 24/7, and he would be happy. Don’t get me wrong, I would be too. But now was not the right time.

“You just called me 10 minutes ago. And like 10 minutes ago, I’m going to tell you the same thing. I’m at home.” I tried hard to sound as nonchalant as possible, but I couldn’t help the slight tone of annoyance that accompanied my statement. Apparently, he heard it too.

“You sound really annoyed.”

I growled into the phone. “Of course I would be Jinyoung! You’re calling me every 10 minutes!”

“You know I’m only checking up on you right?”

I rubbed my eyes. “I know. And it’s really sweet but I gotta go...”

“Go where? I thought you were gonna be at home the whole day!” He cut in quickly.

“I gotta go sleep. I want to sleep. My assignment has been keeping me up the whole night last night.” I said as I emphasized the word ‘sleep’.

“Ah… okay. I’ll call you later then. I love you.”

“I love you too. And please don’t call me. Wait until I call you.” I said before quickly hanging up the phone, knowing that he would stubbornly protest my suggestion. As soon as I hung up, I turned to look at the man standing before me. My lips curled into a smile just as a grin made its way onto his face. He extended his hand towards me, which I gladly accepted.

“Shall we?” He said with a wink at me.

“Yes we shall. Do you have the place ready?” I asked as we made our way out.

“All ready. I hope it’s up to your standards.”

I let out a small laugh. “I hope it’s up to his. You know how he is.”

“I do. But I’m guessing he might not enjoy it very much. After all, you just lied to him.”

“Yeah, but for his own sake.” I said with a small wave of my hand. “When we get there, I’m going to call him. Make sure he sees you when he comes into the place.”

“Hey, this is Shinwoo you’re talking to. You don’t have to worry about all the acting. I got it.”

I smiled at my best friend when we finally arrived at the beautifully decorated auditorium. “Thanks chingu yah, I’m counting on you.”

After I was done admiring the decorations, I gotta say, Shinwoo did a great job, I pulled out my phone and dialled Jinyoung’s number. He picked up on the first ring, and I bit back a smile.

You’re always the first thing on my mind…  

“You’re awake? So fast?” He asked down the phone.

“Aniyo! Uhh, Jinyoung ah, can you come to our school’s auditorium for a while? I have something to tell you.”

“What? I thought you were sleeping! What are you doing at our school? Are you alone? How did you get there?” He bombarded me with questions but I managed to hurriedly insert a laugh in between his never ending questions.

“You sound like an FBI agent. It’s not like I can’t walk to the school. Can you just please come? If you’re not here in 10 minutes, I’ll leave.” I threatened him before ending the call.

“He’ll be here in 10 minutes.” I told Shinwoo.

He smirked at me. “How sure are you?”

“This is Jinyoung we’re talking about. Whenever he doesn’t come within the 10 minutes timeframe that I set for him, I will really leave and he knows that.”

“But he’s at the studio. There’s no way he’s gonna make it here in 10 minutes, even if he’s as fast as lightning.” Shinwoo argued.

I grinned. “Exactly. Which makes it easier for us to carry out our plan don’t you think?”

A look of realization dawned on my best friend’s face and his eyes immediately shone bright. I swear sometimes, even the turtle is faster than him.

***

Jinyoung burst through the double doors into the auditorium, holding onto his chest as he panted heavily. He knew he was 5 minutes late, but there was no way she could’ve left right? She was the one who asked him to come in the first place.

He made his way slowly towards the stage, his eyes trying to get used to the darkened hall. Could she be hiding somewhere? After all, the place was huge. A sound coming from the entrance caught his attention and he turned to look, a smile on his face.

Not a second later, his smile was turned upside down and his hands clenched into fists at either side of him.

He was only 5 minutes late and she was already hugging another man? What was going on? She called him to the auditorium just so she could display her affection for another man right in front of him? He watched through narrowed eyes as she made her way over to him, wearing a smile as if she didn’t just commit infidelity right before him.

***

“You came.” I said when I finally reached him. The stage light had miraculously though I doubt he noticed it. He was too busy glaring holes into my head and I inwardly giggled. His jealousy was hilarious.

“야! 너 솔직히 말해, 누구야?”

“What are you talking about?” I asked, putting on an innocent face.

“Don’t play dumb with me. Who was that you just hugged?” He said through gritted teeth, obviously annoyed.

“Oh that? Shinwoo. He came with me.” I said with a shrug, as if it was no big deal.

But it was. At least to Jinyoung. “Shinwoo? As in my best friend Shinwoo?”

“Hey! He’s my best friend too! There’s nothing wrong with hugging my best friend is there?” I countered.

“Everything’s wrong! You’re my girlfriend! You’re not supposed to hug anyone other than me!” Jinyoung hollered.

“Jinyoung! You’re being silly! It’s just Shinwoo! Our hug didn’t mean anything! Stop being so jealous and overprotective!”

“That’s the thing isn’t it? I can’t! Every morning when I wake up I immediately thought of you. What would you do today? Who would you talk to? Which scumbag will dare flirt with you? What if you get hurt and I’m not there? What if you bleed and faint? You hate blood! And what happens if you don’t have enough money to eat? You’ll starve to death. You have no idea how I constantly worry about you! And to think that you’ve been hugging other men when I have all these thoughts about you running through my head… I’m really disappointed.”

“You sound like you’re having a real hard time having me as your girlfriend.”

“No! You don’t get it!” Jinyoung exclaimed as he grabbed my shoulders tightly. “I love you! That’s why I worry about you! I just wish you’d lessen my worry just a little bit. Don’t do things I don’t like.”

“Miahnae.” I said as I looked at the ground.

He sighed and released his hold on me. “It’s fine. What is it that you wanted to talk to me about?”

I bit my lip and turned around, my back to him. “Jinyoung ah… I don’t want to be your girlfriend anymore…”

***

Jinyoung’s eyes flashed towards her in an instant and he grabbed her wrist, forcing her to look at him. He scanned her face, trying his hardest to read her expression. He gave up when she gave nothing away and crushed her small frame against his with force. No, he refused to believe what he just heard. She couldn’t be breaking up with him, could she?

“Miahnae.” He said into her hair. “I’m sorry if I was being so protective of you. I can change. I promise.”

She pulled away from his embrace, surprised that he has yet to notice the balloons floating around. “I don’t like being your girlfriend anymore.”

“What? Why?” He whined, still not letting go of her wrist. “Did I do something wrong? Baby please, I’m sorry if I did. I’m sorry  if I’m so protective of you. I love you…”

***

I placed my fingertip on his lips, signalling him not to speak. It was my turn to talk.

“I love you too.” I said softly. “Which is why I don’t want to be your girlfriend anymore. I want to be your fiancée.”

His eyes widened a considerable amount and I smiled shyly at him. I took a step back and lightly twirled on the spot, too embarrassed to even look at him. Maybe it wasn’t the right move. I mean, shouldn’t the guy be proposing instead of the girl? But I couldn’t stand all his nagging anymore. I thought that maybe if I proposed, then he’ll understand that I actually do want to be with him, and he’ll stop asking so many questions about where I am the whole time.

But the silence dragged on, and I was starting to become uncomfortable. Maybe he doesn’t want to be with me. I actually never really thought of that. I slowly peeked at him, only to still see the same expression on his face. Has the sentence not yet registered in his head?

“Uhh…” I stammered. “Forget I said anything.” I said and made to exit the stage when he grabbed me and spun me into his embrace.

When I finally detached myself from him, I noticed that he was wearing a smile so big it almost stretched from ear to ear. Still grinning like an idiot, he pressed his lips on mine and kissed me until I was weak at the knees. Just between us, this is the exact reason why I put up with his nagging. He kisses like an angel.

“I love you nuna…” He whispered.

“Don’t call me that.” I murmured against his chest. “I’m only 11 months older than you.”

He chuckled. “Then maybe I should start calling you fiancée from now on.”

“Hmm… That sounds better.”

“I like what you did with the place by the way.”

“I didn’t do anything. You should thank Shinwoo.”

“Maybe I will.” He said before looking at me, his face serious once again. “야! 너 나한테 잘해, 알겠지?”


Chapter Posted on: Mar 28. 2014

One shot maybe? Hahahaha... Depends on reader's response! =D Hope you guys like this! ^^ by the way, the korean sentences are from their song "What's going on?" I love that song!