One

Untitled Taochen Fic

Untitled

Zitao has been mulling over and wanting to be near Jongdae at least once (a day). The person he complains to most is Sehun, who is very annoyed with all of Zitao’s complaints. Zitao knows that Sehun thinks that he’s just a love-struck idiot. But he doesn’t care.

“Why don’t you just…I don’t know, go and talk to him?!” Sehun constantly questions.

Zitao admits that he doesn’t really know why he can’t seem to approach the feline-like vocalist all of a sudden. He was and still is alright when it’s just EXO-M doing things, but if it’s everyone, he’s afraid for some reason. So every single time Sehun asks that question, Zitao’s response is, “I…I don’t know…”

Zitao can sense Sehun is planning something the second Sehun flashes a devious smile at him for no reason at all in the middle of a similar conversation on why Zitao can’t talk to or approach Jongdae. Judging by Sehun’s expression, Zitao doesn’t think he wants to even know what the plan is. He can probably easily figure it out anyways.

And he does. Or at least he notices something is up when Sehun decides not to stand with him for an interview like he normally does. They’re doing the interview portion of the behind the scenes of their Sunny10 CF and everyone is getting into their chosen spots. Jongdae, who is normally sitting next to Joonmyeon, is standing where Sehun normally stands next to Zitao. And Sehun is sitting where Jongdae normally sits. That only means that Zitao has to stand next to Jongdae, since he knows none of his hyungs are nice enough to move over for him. He kinda wishes they would though.

“Hey, Zitao-yah, you can stand over here if you’d like.” Jongdae’s voice calls, gesturing to the empty spot next to him. “Don’t you always stand here anyways?”

Zitao bites his lip. He feels and probably looks incredibly awkward and uncomfortable as he makes his way over to stand next to Jongdae. Zitao makes sure to send Sehun a steely glare before his mind can go corrupt because—dear Lord, Kim Jongdae is standing right next to him.

Zitao doesn’t even know why he’s so obsessed with the short vocalist. He probably doesn’t even care as much about Zitao as Zitao does to him anyways. But he’s just so cute, short, handsome, funny, and talented. Zitao mentally punches himself in the face and vaguely hears the PD ask if everyone was ready.

Of course Zitao isn’t ready. He’s still trying to get over the fact that Jongdae talked to him; acknowledged his presence. He was also trying not to strangle Sehun from behind for switching places with Jongdae. He suspects that Sehun had previously asked Jongdae if they could switch places for the interview.

After the interview, Zitao approaches Sehun, trying to assume an intimidating demeanor after nervously thanking Jongdae for allowing him to stand next to him. He isn’t sure if his glare is working or not, because Sehun looks indifferent.

“Yah! What the hell was that, Sehun?!” he shouts. “Why did you switch places with Jongdae-hyung?!”

“Because I wanted to.” Sehun replied casually with a shrug. “Shouldn’t you be fanboying over the fact that Jongdae-hyung talked to you and let you stand next to him?”

Zitao tries his hardest not to blush. “Sh-shut up! You probably planned this.”

Sehun shrugs again. “Maybe I did. Maybe I didn’t. But you’re the one always complaining about never being put next to Jongdae-hyung for things or talk to him. Be glad he called you over.”

Zitao looks down at the ground. “I…I am glad…”

“Then why the hell are you yelling at me?” Sehun snaps, crossing his arms. “Next time, don’t be such a ‘fraidy cat.”

Zitao sighs. He knows he’s being stupid. He knows he shouldn’t be so awkward around Jongdae around the rest of EXO. He’s perfectly fine around Jongdae with just EXO-M. With just EXO-M, he happily (and embarrassedly) accepts Jongdae’s touch. But when they formed as 12 and Jongdae started hanging around with Baekhyun, Joonmyeon, Kyungsoo, and Chanyeol, Zitao changed.

Zitao glances over at Jongdae, who is fooling around with his ‘beagle line’ friends, Chanyeol and Baekhyun. Zitao barely noticed and doesn’t really care that Sehun left a few minutes ago to find someone more entertaining and less annoying. Zitao wishes he wasn’t so shy when approaching Jongdae when he’s around his other friends. He wishes he could go back to the Mama era, where Jongdae would always shower him with love and Zitao would practically lean into Jongdae’s touch.

--

Around a week later, a similar episode happens. Now Zitao knows for sure that this is all part of Sehun’s plan. Normally, Jongdae and Zitao aren’t placed next to each other this much. Unfortunately.

Right now, Sehun is sitting on one side of Jongdae with a smug look on his face. Once again, much to Zitao’s dismay, the others have either already chosen their seats, or are already sitting down. The only seat that isn’t occupied is next to Jongdae.

Zitao (un)reluctantly walks over to the empty seat, throwing a glare at Sehun as he passes, hoping the youngest sees it. Then, Jongdae smiles at Zitao, causing his fierce glare at Sehun to fade as he sends an awkward smile back at Jongdae.

A little before the event starts, while Zitao is trying to keep any of his long limbs away from touching Jongdae’s accidently (this process involves moving his chair over slightly, folding one leg over the other, and limiting how much he moves his hands around), Zitao notices Sehun staring at him with a creepy smile. Zitao sends him a look back that said both ‘I’m so going to kill you’ and ‘I love you for putting Jongdae next to me’. Because honestly, he’s having a joyful mental breakdown (again) at the fact that Jongdae is next to him again, looking as handsome as ever in that suit. God, Zitao feels like such a sasaeng fan right now.

Seeing as this is a formal, serious event, nothing much can happen between Jongdae and Zitao. Sehun is constantly staring at Zitao with that creepy grin. Meanwhile, Jongdae is clueless in the middle of all of this. Zitao wants to punch Sehun’s smug smile off his face. Unfortunately he can’t because one, this is a serious, professional event; two, he’s too far away to touch without hitting/touching Jongdae; and three, Jongdae is next to him occasionally sending him polite smiles.

Sehun probably thinks he’s so smart by purposely placing Jongdae next to Zitao. What would happen if something accidentally provoked him to do something more? Zitao sometimes had these…urges that happen when he’s near Jongdae. Zitao wouldn’t want his urges to happen in front of other people. Then again, he doesn’t want his urges to ever happen. He’s happy with just staring at the vocalist (not so subtly).

 

Zitao knows that in a couple days, EXO-M will be going to Hong Kong for the grand opening of a Nature Republic. He also knows he’s more comfortable around Jongdae when it’s just M that’s around because no one can get in the way except maybe Minseok and Yifan sometimes. Besides those two Zitao is excited to be going to Hong Kong.

When the event is actually happening, Zitao is sure to happily chat with Jongdae occasionally in attempt to prove to Sehun that he actually can talk to Jongdae. It’s also nice to have as much physical contact as possible with the older vocalist, even when his heart feels like it’s going to explode. Yeah. Zitao is definitely far too deep now.

“Zitao-yah.” Jongdae leans over and whispers to Zitao when no fans are in front of them asking for an autograph. “You know I really enjoy talking to you, right?”

Zitao smiles, holding back a blush. “I like talking to you, too, hyung…”

“Then why don’t we talk as often anymore?” Jongdae questions.

Zitao bites his lip. “U-um…I don’t, uh, want to be a bother to you…”

“Bother to me?” Jongdae raises an eyebrow. “Why would you think that you’d be a bother?”

“I…I don’t know. You’re always laughing with Joonmyeon-hyung or Baek-hyung…”

“And what does that have to do with anything?”

Before Zitao can muster an answer, someone steps in front of him. He sighs in relief at the girl’s intrusion and greets her in Mandarin. Jongdae doesn’t look all that pleased with Zitao not answering his question, but Zitao knows that even if he didn’t answer, it would be awkward to say his response. He knows Jongdae’s going to ask him after the fansign anyways. He sighs and slowly counts down the minutes until the fansign ends and has to tell Jongdae why he’s really acting do ‘weird’.

Every so often, Zitao glances over at Jongdae. He always has that dazzling smile and the cute eyesmile that follows after it. After a while, he realizes he and Jongdae are wearing the same blazer. When he looks around, he notices no one else has a white blazer on but Yixing, whose is slightly different. He smiles to himself slightly.

The fansign ends. Everyone is going to the cars to get back to the hotel and Jongdae pulls Zitao into the same car as him. Zitao is both annoyed and pleased at this, seeing as they’re the only two in the car. In addition he is also a bit nervous. Alone. In a car. Zitao knows he’s going to be forced to confess at some point. Who knows what Jongdae will say about it?

“Well?” is the first thing the vocalist says, knowing that Zitao knows what he’s asking.

And Zitao does know what Jongdae is asking. Of course he does. He’s not like Yixing; he can remember things quite well. “Uh…it’s kinda…hard to say…” he says awkwardly.

“Well, we’ve got at least 20 minutes to kill, so shoot.” Jongdae replies promptly. “And if you don’t finish your story before we get back…you’ll have to finish it later.”

Looks like there’s no escaping for Zitao. He sighs and takes a few breaths to calm him down. Jongdae is eyeing him carefully as he casually leans back in his seat, expecting a long story. Zitao his lips before finally speaking. “Well…the reason why I don’t talk to you as much anymore…is because—because I’m scared. Nervous even. Especially when you’re around the other hyungs…”

“Why?” Jongdae questions, shifting his weight so he is directly facing Zitao.

“I…uh, don’t exactly know…” Zitao rubs the back of his neck awkwardly. “I guess it’s because I’m afraid you’ll ignore me…”

Jongdae’s eyes soften (not like they weren’t already soft in the first place). “Oh…Zitao-yah… Don’t be afraid to talk to me when I’m with Baekhyun or whatever…To be honest, I’d probably ditch them to talk to you.”

Zitao blinks. “W-why…? Why would you ditch your friends for me?”

“Because you’re my friend too.” Jongdae says. “Plus, you’re fun to be around…” he adds with a smile.

“B-But…Baek-hyung, Kyung-hyung and Yeol-hyung are all more fun than me…” Zitao pouts.

“Yes, but they’re loud and crazy sometimes.” Jongdae says. “Sometimes they’ll dare me to do stupid things. You’re quiet…most of the time.”

Zitao bites his lip. “Th-thanks…”

“Something tells me that’s not all…” Jongdae mutters. “C’mon. You can tell hyung what’s right, right?”

Zitao blushes slightly. “U-uh…I’m not sure how to say this…but you know…you—you’re really kind; always helping the other hyungs. You’re also really talented…a-and really handsome.” Zitao pauses. “I-I can see why there are so many fans who love you…”

“And…?” Jongdae questions, sensing more. “You’re trying to say something aren’t you?”

Zitao nods hesitantly. “I’m trying to say…I like you. I…I really like you.”

“Well that’s a relief.” Jongdae says, surprisingly unaffected by Zitao’s confession. “I thought you hated me.”

“Hyung. I’m saying I like you.” Zitao repeats. “And you’re…this calm? Don’t you understand what I’m saying?”

“Of course I understand what you’re saying.” Jongdae responds calmly. “How could I not?”

“Okay. Then tell me what I’m saying.”

“You don’t hate me.”

Zitao sighs. “Hyung. I’m confessing! I’m saying I love you…as—as more than I brother.”

“And I’m saying I know.” Jongdae smiles as he shuffles over slightly. “I’m also saying that I love you too.”

Zitao blinks in surprise, unsure if he heard right. “You…you what?”

“I love you too.” Jongdae puts his hand on top of Zitao’s. “And I’ve known for a while that you liked me.”

“A-and you never said anything?!” Zitao asks incredulously.

“I’ve said things.” Jongdae responds. “I’ve been complaining to Baekhyun about how you never talk to me as much anymore. At first I thought you hated me.”

“I—I could never hate you, hyung…” Zitao looks down at his hand. He flips it so he’s holding Jongdae’s hand. “You’re too nice…and cute.”

Jongdae smiles and squeezes Zitao’s hand. He looks out the window. “Oh, it looks like we’re almost at the hotel.”

Zitao pouts slightly. Jongdae laughs and kisses Zitao softly. He pulls away and smiles. “Happier now?”

Zitao blushes and manages a nod.

Jongdae laughs and puts his arm around Zitao’s shoulders, shaking him playfully. “Aigoo you’re so cute. Come here.”

He pulls Zitao against his shoulder gently. Zitao smiles and snuggles against Jongdae’s neck. Jongdae momentarily puts his head on top of Zitao’s but when ne notices they’re pulling up to the hotel removes it.

“C’mon, let’s go.” Jongdae says taking Zitao’s hand and pulling him out of the car with him.

 

The next evening on the plane ride back to Korea, Zitao is thinking about how eager he is to tell Sehun that he isn’t a ‘fraidy cat and can get his crush. Zitao thinks that Sehun will probably be shocked. He might even think that Zitao is lying.

“What are you thinking about, Taozi?” Jongdae’s melodic voice shakes Zitao out of his thoughts. “Hmm…me possibly?”

Zitao pushes Jongdae playfully. “Yah! What are you? Narcissistic?”

Jongdae winks. “Only with you. Because I know you’ll love me either way.”

Zitao rolls his eyes. “Whatever you say, hyung.”

“Yah!” Jongdae pouts. “Don’t roll your eyes at me!”

Zitao sighs. “If I kiss you, will you stop pouting and shut up?”

“Maybee.” Jongdae says wistfully.

Zitao smirks slightly and leans down to Jongdae’s level. His breath ghosts over Jongdae’s face. After a second, Jongdae closes the gap in a sweet, loving kiss. Zitao gently kisses back, shifting his position and deepening the kiss slightly. They pull back a couple seconds later and just stare at each other for a second.

“I love you.” Jongdae breathes, smiling.

“I love you too, hyung.” Zitao smiles back and pecks Jongdae’s lips quickly.

 

At the dorm, Zitao and Jongdae part momentarily. Jongdae went off to his room to change into something more comfortable. Zitao went off to find Sehun. At the moment, only EXO-M knows about Jongdae and Zitao’s relationship. Zitao knows for a fact that Sehun is going to be shocked at the news.

“Sehuna~!” Zitao calls out loudly in the hall, in attempt to find the youngest member.

“What do you want?” Sehun calls back. “I’m in Jongin’s room.”

“Well get out here.” Zitao says. “I need to talk to you.”

Zitao can vaguely hear an annoyed groan and complaints. He laughs slightly and watches Sehun emerge from Jongin’s room with a glare.

“What is it?” he asks.

“Jongdae-hyung and I got together.” Zitao replies straightforwardly.

“How do you mean ‘got together’?” Sehun inquires suspiciously.

“I mean…we’re together. An item.”

“You’re joking right?” Sehun laughs. “There’s no way you could get Jongdae-hyung to be your boyfriend.”

“Says who?”

“Says me.”

As if on cue, Jongdae comes around the corner and hugs Zitao from behind. “And what did I miss?”

“Me?” Zitao asks teasingly.

“Well maybe.” Jongdae smiles. “But that’s not exactly what I meant.”

“I’m just trying to convince Sehun something.” Zitao replies.

“This still isn’t proof.” Sehun says. “Jongdae-hyung is always hugging you or trying to hug you.”

Zitao sighs. “You’re annoying, Sehun.”

“But you still love me anyways.” Sehun grins.

“I never said I loved you. I do however love Jongdae-hyung.” Zitao corrects. “You’re just an annoying friend.”

“Says the one who’s always complaining about not being able to talk to Jongdae-hyung.” Sehun comments.

“Yet right now he’s hugging me and talking to me and I’m perfectly fine.” Zitao counters. “Ironic huh?”

“This seriously can’t be true.” Sehun mumbles. “How can you be shy one minute but not the next? Ugh you’re so confusing.”

“Well maybe I’m just bipolar or something.” Zitao says.

“If you’re bipolar I’d love to see if you have a feisty side.” Jongdae winks.

At this, Zitao actually blushes. He senses a hidden innuendo behind Jongdae’s words. Jongdae just laughs and massages Zitao’s shoulder gently for a second. “Aigoo…so cute.”

Sehun rolls his eyes. “I swear to God if you guys start making out in front of me to prove your point I will kill you both.”

Jongdae’s eyes gleam with something Zitao can’t name. But the look on Sehun’s face when he sees it is just priceless. It causes Zitao to laugh.

“Okay, okay!” Sehun says awkwardly. “You finally confessed to Jongdae-hyung. But to be honest, you should be thanking me.”

“Yeah, yeah.” Zitao waves the comment off casually. “However, you never told me to confess. Nor did you do too much to help me.”

“I did too do something to help you! I helped you get closer to him.”

“Wrong. I was only afraid to talk to him because I didn’t want to be ignored.”

“So…I did nothing?”

“Nope. Nothing at all. Hyung told me he loved me all along anyways, and that he knew I had a crush on him.”

Sehun facepalms. Zitao and Jongdae laugh at Sehun’s annoyance. The latter sighs and walks away, leaving Zitao and Jongdae alone to laugh. They stop laughing after a minute and turn to look at each other.

“I really do love you, hyung.” Zitao says sincerely.

“And I really do love you too, Zitao.” Jongdae replies. He goes up on his tiptoes and meets Zitao’s lips in a tender kiss. 


Word count: 3,029

A/N: Welp. This was pretty sappy and confusing and jump. Sorry. I've had this idea for a while. Finally had a chance to finish this and stuff. Haha

Enjoy. Haha.

Also. Here. Take this Taochen fanpage that I keep on advertising because I know there are more Taochen fans than my amount of likes. (I'm sorry for being a shameless advertisor... -bows-)