Of Us

Of Us

<< Of Krystal and Jessica

 

"Don't read those. They just love to hate" Jessica says.

 

Krystal is staring at the computer screen, with a beaten expression.

 

"Do you think some of them are right? Do you think I'm a rude ?" she asks.

 

Jessica moves closer to her, trying to block her view from the computer.

 

"Of course you're not" she says offended.

 

Krystal is still staring into nothing.

 

"But they seem to think so"

 

"They said the same thing about me when I debuted"

 

Krystal looks up to Jessica, with pleading eyes.

 

"How did you stop it?

 

"You can't"

 

Jessica wishes she needn't say these words, but they're the truth. Krystal face falls, and turns back to the computer screen.

 

"They're attacking Sulli too. Why?"

 

Jessica sighs.

 

"I don't know"

 

"But it's not fair. We didn't do anything wrong. Just because we didn't smile for what, one second?" Krystal says, indignant.

 

"That's how it works"

 

Krystal wishes Jessica's tone didn't sound so resigned.

 

"All these people here, writing comments about me... about how unpolite I am and how rude I am..." Krystal says on the verge of crying.

 

Jessica sits next to her and hugs her close and tight.

 

"That's what idols go through, everyday. I told you, right? when you were about to debut. There will be people who will always try to bring you down"

 

By this time, Krystal is already crying in Jessica's shoulder.

 

"I don't want to be seen like this"

 

"Your fans will always love you" Jessica replies while she carresses Krystal's back softly.

 

"How can they love me if they think I'm rude?"

 

Jessica puts on a little smile and tries to lighten up the mood.

 

"Come on, f(x)'s Krystal is a heartbreaker. I know many people have chosen you as their ideal type and people just die for your abs, how can your own fans not love you?"

 

As she says so, Krystal has put her head up and Jessica is drying her tearful eyes with her thumb.

 

"Come on now, turn that stupid thing off and let's go watch a movie or something"

 

Krystal closes the laptop and gets up, with a smile.

 

"I saw one of your fans yesterday, she was waving a pink lighstick. I tought it was cute"

 

 

 

 

>> Of Jessica and Soojung

 

"I wish you were here"

 

"Yeah, me too" Jessica sighs "how are things at home? Did you eat?"

 

"Mom burnt the chicken, as always, so dad is trying to make the best he can with everything else we have"

 

Jessica lets out a little laugh.

 

"Are you tired?" Soojung asks from the other side of the phone with a glimpse of worry in her voice.

 

"A little bit, but I'm excited at the same time because it's for our new tour"

 

Jessica actually IS excited, but she doesn't sound as excited as she'd like to.

 

"Wich one is it this time?"

 

"SNSD's second japan arena tour"

 

"That's cool"

 

"It is, isn't it?" Jessica says, her voice lingers there, at the end.

 

"I miss you"

 

Jessica knows that this is actually what Soojung has meant to say all along.

 

"I know, me too."

 

He really does miss her. Especially at ocasions like this. When it's cold outside and her hands are cold and family is far away.

 

"Sica! We need to go back" she hears Tiffany yell from the studio door.

 

"Soojung-ah, I have to go rehearse. I'll call you tomorrow ok?"

 

"Unnie wait!" Soojung says.

 

"What?"

 

"Merry Christmas"

 

"Merry Christmas" Jessica answers in a soft voice.

 

"Also..."

 

"What?"

 

"Work hard"

 

Jessica hears aegyo in Soojung's voice and imagines her cute little face. So she anwers playfully, pretending to be a diva.

 

"Please, I'm SNSD's Jessica"

 

The thing is, though, that being Jessica is the reason she’s here and not there. The reason she’s spending another christmas away from home, from those she cherishes.

 

Jessica hears Soojung let out a "hol!" behind her nose.

 

"Merooong!"

 

Jessica laughs at her sister because what a mature reaction, really but internally thanks her for being like that, ‘cause Soojung knows her better than anyone else.

 

"Sica!" she hears Yuri yell.

 

"I really gotta go"

 

"Ok, take care of yourself"

 

"You too"

 

Jessica puts the phone back in her purse and goes back to the studio. It's Christmas in Japan and it's snowing. At night, when they're all dining together she's glad there's warm around her. Jessica always gets cold on those Christmas she's not at home.

 

 

 

 

<< Of Sooyeon and Krystal

 

"Mum, hurry, they're next!"

 

Sooyeon sits in the sofa, in front of the TV. Her father is next to her. Her mother comes rushing from the bathroom right on time.

 

"It's time, it's time!"

 

"I'm in da-da-da-danger, pinocchio, remem-ber me!" Sooyeon shouts in the dining room.

 

"Sooyeon, would you please shut up. I'm trying to listen to f(x)" her father says with a smile.

 

"Sorry"

 

During the whole performance, the dining room is in silence, with the TV as the only sound. As the screen echoes one last remember me, Sooyeon gets up and claps and shouts happily.

 

"She looked so cool"

 

"They all did" her mother replies as she stands up. "Well, I better go make dinner now"

 

"Oh wait, mum! come back! they're nominated for number one! Oh my god mum!"

 

Her mother comes rushing back to the sofa.

 

"Today's winner is... f(x)! congratulations!"

 

Sooyeon screams and jumps and hugs her parents in joy. She looks at the screen. Luna and Victoria are crying. Sulli is dumbfounded and Amber is smiling happily. And then there she is, and she looks so happy.

 

"I'm going to call her"

 

"She's on TV now, Sooyeon, call her later"

 

Sooyeon waits five exact minutes, and the dials her sister's phone number.

 

"Hello?" Krystal answers between sobs.

 

"Congratulations!" Sooyeon says so so so happy.

 

"Thank you"

 

Sooyeon can hear the sniffing of her nose and is sure she's crying.

 

"How are you? are you happy?"

 

"I'm really happy" Krystal answers with a shaky voice.

 

"I'm glad. Are you crying?"

 

Krystal lets out a breathy laugh.

 

"Yes. Are you home?"

 

Sooyeon smiles.

 

"Yes, I watched your first win with mom and dad."

 

"Tell them I'll call them later"

 

"Ok" Sooyeon is silence for a second "You know Krystal, you look so cool on stage".

 

"I still have a lot to learn"

 

"Shut up. I'm serious. I think I just became your number one fan."

 

Krystal laughs.

 

"You have to go now, don't you?"

 

"We're going to celebrate"

 

"Okay, have fun"

 

"I will"

 

Jessica looks at the TV screen. The show's over and the news are next. Still, it seems like the moment is still there.

 

"Krystal, you worked really hard. You deserve this."

 

Krystal is silent for a little moment.

 

"Sooyeon-unnie, thank you. I love you"

 

 

 

 

>> Of Soojung and Sooyeon

 

Soojung is lying on her bed looking at her phone when Sooyeon comes in in a furious rush.

 

"Ya! Jung Soojung! you took my skirt, didn't you?" she yells.

 

Soojung looks at her slowly.

 

"No, I did not."

 

Sooyeon has no patience so she narrows her eyes at her sister.

 

"Don't lie"

 

Soojung rolls her eyes.

 

"Why would I take it for?"

 

"To wear it?" replies Sooyeon sarcastically.

 

"I barely wear skirts"

 

Sooyeon crosses her arms. Soojung has returned her attention to her phone.

 

"Either way, stop touching my stuff" Sooyeon says while dropping Soojung's phone from her hands. Soojung sits up bothered.

 

"Hey! It wasn't me"

 

"Yeah, right."

 

"Like I would wear your ugly clothes"

 

"Excuse me? who asked me to lend her my blue pants last week?" Sooyeon says ofended.

 

"That was just once!"

 

Sooyeon walks towards the stairs.

 

"I'm going to tell mom"

 

Soojung gets up from her bed and goes to where Sooyeon is standing.

 

"What are you, five? I told you I didn't take it"

 

"You always say that"

 

Soojung  tries to push Sooyeon out the door.

 

"Ugh, get out of my room"

 

"No, I don't want to"

 

"You're so ridiculous, sometimes"

 

"Shut up"