You're kind of pretty

Kind of Pretty

'The school year ends in two months. We won't have any more tests-'

The immature part of the class started to cheer happily, not interested in teacher's further words at all.

'You will, however, have to submit a project on a subject chosen out of these.', she raised her hand with a sheet of paper. 'You need to divide into groups of four to eight people and choose a subject today. And I'm not talking only about your class. Your groups should consist of people from at least two separate grades. It's more about integrating than actually learning.'

Eunjoo sighed. According to the teacher she had to find at least three people willing to work in a group with her. She was in her senior year of high school and her best friends were already in college, so she actually didn't have anyone she could join.

She tried jotting down some thoughts regarding the project, but she wasn't capable of thinking up anything sensible.

'Hey, you.'

She raised her eyes to see Jimin, her classmate. He eyed her with a small smirk.

'Would you like to join our group? We need one person.'

Eunjoo hesitated, 'Who else is in your group?'

'Taehyung from 3B and Jungkook from 1A.'

She tried to recall the guys' faces, but ended up only furrowing her eyebrows. Being in a group with three boys did not seem like a clever idea.

'So, what's your answer?'

'You won't make me do all the work, will you?'

'Of course not.', he promised with a funny expression that was supposed to be convincing.

'Okay, then. I'll join your group.', she nodded.

Jimin took out his phone and snapped a photo of her face.

'What are you doing?', she frowned.

'I'm sending your photo to TaeTae and Kookie.', he grinned earning a not so pleased look from the girl.

The bell rang loudly and Eunjoo grabbed her bag and blazer before exiting the classroom.

'Hey, wait!', he stopped her.

'What is it?'

'I...', he scratched the nape of his neck. 'I don't remember your name. I'm sorry.'

'It's Eunjoo.', she replied.

'Oh, right!', he palmed his face. 'Of course your name is Eunjoo.'

 

Taehyung furrowed his eyebrows as his eyes scanned facial features of the girl in the picture. She had long, straight hair and black nerdy glasses that he believed made her look adorable.

*Is she really a student of this school? How come I've never noticed her?*

He looked around the canteen and then lowered his eyes to the phone once again.

'Hyung!', Jungkook sat down in front of him.

'Huh?', the arrival of the younger boy startled him.

'Have you seen this girl? She is really pretty. Jimin asked her to join us for the project and she agreed.'

Teahyung waved his phone with a small smile, 'I got his message, too. She's kind of pretty.'

'Kind of?', the younger one chuckled. 'I thought you either are pretty or not.'

'You're right.', Taehyung jumped to his feet. 'I'll have to tell her.'

'Hyung!', Jungkook grabbed him by his arm. 'You can't just walk up to her and tell her she's pretty.'

'Why not?', an expression of true astonishment appeared on his face, making his dongsaeng palm his face.

'She will think you're weird. Or cheesy. Either way, you shouldn't-'

'She won't! I want to tell her the truth.'

'Maybe try to get to know her first?'

Taehyung pondered for a moment before pointing a finger at his friend.

'That's kind of brilliant actually.'

 

'Jimin hyung!', Jungkook called out seeing the masculine body a few metres away.

The latter looked in his direction and waved, making his way towards him.

'What's up?'

'Taehyung hyung... I think he likes Eunjoo.'

'And what's wrong with that? Maybe he'll finally get himself a girlfriend.'

'That's not the point. If Taehyung behaves the way he always behaves, she won't want to go out with him.'

'Oh.', Jimin's eyes widened. 'We have to do something about it.'

'Do something about what?', Eunjoo asked from behind his back, making him turn around abruptly.

'Uhhh...'

'I'm Jungkook by the way, nice to meet you.', Jungkook smiled in her direction, secretly poking Jimin in his stomach.

'I'm Eunjoo.', she smiled. 'So you're my age...?'

Jungkook grinned, 'No, I'm two years younger than you. Grade 1A, remember?'

'Ah, yes! Now I know.', she fixed her glasses. 'I'll see you around, I have Maths now and you know Mr. Han. Always too punctual.'

When she disappeared in another hall crammed with students, Jungkook sent Jimin a meaningful look.

'Yah, are you glaring at your hyung?'

'Sometimes I feel that I'm the oldest. Both you and Taehyung are so clueless!'

 

'So, what are we going to do about Taehyung?', Jimin asked.

Jungkook rubbed his chin in wonder.

'Trying to explain to him is rather pointless... He won't listen anyway, he really wants to go with her to the prom. We could suggest him some ways of-'

'Hi guys!', Taehyung sat down at the other side of table. He propped his hands on the wooden surface and rested his chin against his palms before closing his eyes and smiling.

The boys on the opposite exchanged nervous glances.

'H-hi.', Jimin stuttered. He scowled when he felt Jungkook's finger poking him in the ribs. He secretly sent his dongsaeng a glare.

'How was school?', the younger one asked.

'Great.', Taehyung exhaled in a dreamy manner.

'Did something happen?'

'No. But I thought...'

The other two leaned in, desperate to know more.

'And I thought...'

Taehyung's friends' eyes widened in anticipation.

'And I thought...'

'What exactly did you think about?', Jungkook asked, feeling rather irritated.

'Well... Eunjoo looked really pretty today.'

'She looks like this every-', Jimin's words were interrupted by Jungkook's hand covering his mouth.

'She had her hair in a braid. I guess girls call it mermaid braid? And she was wearing her glasses, they make her look so cute!', Taehyung shut his eyes tightly, causing his nose to wrinkle. His smile got even wider.

'Did you talk to her?', Jimin inquired.

'No, we didn't have time. Maybe I'll talk to her tomorrow.'

'We'll be meeting tomorrow after school at Jimin's house. You need to come.', Jungkook stated.

'Okay. Since Eunjoo is also going to be there.'

Jimin chuckled, 'Two days ago you didn't know she existed.

Taehyung's eyes snapped open and his expression turned serious as realisation hit him.

'I wasted almost three years of high school.'

 

Eunjoo took her phone out and opened a text message she had gotten earlier. It was from Jimin; he sent her his address.

She compared it with the number on a wall of the house in front of her. Making sure it's the right one, she knocked on the door.

'Come in.', Jungkook appeared in front of her. 'We were making popcorn just now.'

He took Eunjoo's coat and hung it on the clothes rack and waited for her to take her shoes off.

When she was ready, they headed to the kitchen where strange sounds could be heard from.

'Hi.', the girl greeted the boys, eventually drawing their attention to herself.

'Hello Eunjoo!', Jimin's eyes turned into thin crescents when he saw her. He waved his hand.

Besides him stood the guy she hadn't met yet. His hair was in a bright orange shade, a bit ruffled. He was slightly taller than the two remaining boys. He had his back facing her, so she didn't really have the opportunity to wonder whether she had ever seen him at school.

He turned around with the most adorable goofy expression she had probably ever gotten to see.

'I'm Taehyung.', he showed off his perfect white teeth.

She immediately recognized his eye smile - she had seen him at school every other day before her Science class. For the last two weeks he seemed to be noticing - or even observing - her, but she kept thinking that it was only her imagination. He appeared to be gentle and really cute whenever he tripped or zoned out and she was genuinely interested in getting to know him.

Realising they had been staring at each other for too long, she smiled and waved.

'Hello.'

Jimin coughed, a hint of nervousness in his voice. Jungkook grabbed Eunjoo by the arm and led her to the living room.

'Have a seat. We'll join you in a sec.'

With those words he disappeared back in the kitchen, leaving her alone on a couch.

She started looking around.

The room was bright despite the walls painted with dark colours. It was furnished in a fashionable and modern way, with a couple of paintings hanging on the wall. One of the walls was actually a window looking out on a beautifully designed garden.

She jumped in her seat when she heard a bowl being placed in front of her.

In front of her was Jimin who was holding another two bowls.

'Have some popcorn.'

'Thanks.'

'We'll focus on the project in a second 'cause Kookie went to a nearby shop to get some soda.', getting a nod in response, he sat on the opposite of the coffee table on an armchair.

Eunjoo felt the couch's seat deepen by her side. Taehyung was sitting right next to her, his adorable grin once again present on his face.

'I can have some of your popcorn, right? They refused to share with me.', he pouted.

She chuckled and grabbed the bowl from the coffee table.

'Sure.'

He took a handful and threw it into his mouth, having a problem to chew it in result.

On the other side Jimin palmed his face.

'That's why you didn't get your own bowl.'

'I'm back!', Jungkook shouted from the hall before Jimin could scold Taehyung any longer.

He brought four glasses and the soda, while Jimin went upstairs to get his laptop.

'Eunjoo, Jimin is putting us up tonight.', the youngest of them stated.

She nodded, a bit unsure about why he would tell her, 'Okay.'

Besides her Taehyung winced in pain and started to rub his calf under the table.

'What?', he asked, evidently oblivious to the messages that Jungkook was trying to send him.

'Didn't you say that you had a question to ask Eunjoo?', the other suggested.

'Did I?'

Jungkook heaved a deep sigh, his struggles to keep calm now obvious.

'Taetae, did you forget?', Jimin appeared once again, the laptop in his hands. 'There was this thing that you wanted to discuss with her.'

Eunjoo kept looking at the three boys, her face showing uncertainty and confusion.

'Is there a problem?', she asked.

For a moment she and Taehyung were looking in each other's eyes, his blank expression slowly changing into a stare of awe.

She blinked, 'Are you okay?'

He flashed a smile, his eyes transforming into thin slits. The adorable eye smile struck again.

'You're kind of pretty.'

On the other side of the coffee table Jimin and Jungkook palmed their faces.

They were sure the girl was going to stop talking to them after hearing such awkward words and that was why they were doing their best most of the time to get Taehyung to at least appear relatively normal.

All of their struggles were to no avail as their clueless friend just straightforwardly told the girl that she was "kind of pretty".

To their surprise, however, she did not seem creeped out at all. Instead, she just blushed and lowered her eyes.

'The guys didn't want me to say this. They said you would feel awkward.', the boy went on, sending his friends a meaningful look before turning to face her once again. He leaned in so that their faces were in a really close proximity. 'Do you feel awkward right now?'

Eunjoo's cheeks flushed even more. She fixed her glasses with her index finger and mustered the courage to look in his eyes for a few seconds before tearing her gaze away in embarrassment.

'N-no.'

'See?', he turned to Jimin and Jungkook who tried to gesture for him to stop. 'Guys, I don't think I can trust you anymore. It seems you were wrong.'

The girl took a deep breath as soon as he turned back.

She could hear her own heartbeat and she prayed to be the only one able to sense her nervousness.

She was mentally scolding herself for such behaviour. Why did she react like that? Why did her heart almost stop when he looked in her eyes?

He was just a boy. She proved to like him, but becoming like that in front of him wasn't going to leave a good impression. At least on a regular guy. And Taehyung definitely wasn't a regular guy.

Jungkook faked a cough, 'I think we should start our project.'

 

Two and half an hour later Jimin closed his laptop with a satisfied smile. Jungkook rested his head against the back of the couch (he had been dozing off for the past fifteen minutes). Eunjoo closed her eyes to give them a rub.

'Done.', she yawned.

'Finally.', Jimin nodded. He was the most energetic one amongst all of them, even though he was the one who did all the typing.

Their heads snapped in surprise at the sight of Taehyung slipping off the headrest. He was lying flat as a result, breathing evened. He must have been sleeping for some time.

'It's good that you're putting us up tonight.', Jungkook mumbled.

'What's the point of inviting you over anyway? It's barely ten and you're already half asleep.', Jimin whined. 'Well, except for Taehyung.'

The latter's eyes flew open.

'Did someone call me?'

Jimin shook his head, 'This kid.'

'Yah, we're the same age.'

A beep made all four of them groan. Eunjoo pulled out her phone from a pocket in her jeans.

'Guys, I need to go. Mom asked me to come back.'

'Already?', Taehyung's pout could be heard in the way he spoke.

'I'll walk you home.', Jimin offered as she started packing her stuff.

'No need. I just have to walk to the bus stop.', she got up. 'I had fun today. Thanks for inviting me into your group.'

Jungkook waved from his seat and Jimin followed her to the door. Taehyung was already asleep once again.

'See you at school.', she smiled and walked out.

 

Eunjoo was already midway between Jimin's house and the bus stop, when she heard someone call her name.

'Taehyung?'

He caught up with her, panting heavily.

'Wait...', he choked out.

'Okay.', she furrowed her eyebrows seeing him bow down in half and place his hands on his knees.

'The guys told me you were feeling awkward because of me, so I followed you out.', he tried to straighten up, but bowed again in a fit of cough.

She touched his shoulder, her expression showing worry.

'Catch your breath first.'

Finally, he managed to lift his head.

'I ran to the bus stop to apologize, but I ran in the opposite direction...', he trailed off and smiled awkwardly. 'So I turned back and ran even faster to catch you before you go home.'

They stood in silence for a minute or two, Taehyung feeling rather ashamed of himself and Eunjoo immersed in he own thoughts.

'So...', he started. 'There's this prom.'

'You mean the graduation prom.', she snapped out of her daze and looked at him, already knowing what he was getting at.

'Yeah.', he replied and fell silent once again.

'Would you like to go with me?', she asked.

He blinked, trying to process the question she had just asked him. She couldn't help but smile seeing his internal struggles.

'Don't laugh at me.', he wined. 'I was so prepared to ask you this question that I didn't think you would be faster.'

'Okay, feel free to ask the question then.'

'Will you go to the prom with me?'

'Yes.', she chuckled.

'Thank you.', he heaved a sigh of what seemed to be relief.

'You can tell your friends, that you being yourself is enough. They don't have to set us up on dates.'

'So you know?'

She smothered her laughter, 'You were really obvious.'

'Oh.', he pouted.

'I need to hurry, the bus leaves soon.', she sighed, looking at her watch.

'I'll walk you there.'

'Thanks.'

Before she got up on the bus, she turned around and smiled at him.

'Taehyung.'

'Huh?'

'You're kind of cute.'


Okay, so this basically got uploaded while I was proofreading it for the last time :D Hope there aren't many mistakes OTL

If you enjoyed, please let me know. It's the first fluff I'm posting anywhere, so please don't be too harsh on me c;

Also, I'm going on a trip tomorrow and I won't be back till Friday. This means no internet, and no internet means not being able to read your comments :c I promise that as soon as I come back and have some rest (which will be much needed) I'll get around to checking AFF for any notifications.

Please leave a trace to let me know if you read this! :)