A (Simple) Love Story

A (Simple) Love Story

A (Simple) Love Story

_

 

“Kim So Eun, why are you crying?” A boy shouted as he spotted the girl in the pink dress sitting on a swing but not moving. She was hiding her face behind her hands. As he approached her, he could hear her soft sobs.

“Why are you crying?” He asked again. She turned her head away from him, refusing to answer him or look at him.

“I am going to tell your mother that you are crying here!” He warned. Worries filled him. So Eun cried often, but today was different. He could tell. She chose to evade everyone else and cry alone. Something must have made her very upset.

“Shut up, Kang Ha Neul!” She finally replied.

Ha Neul smiled slightly to himself. The ‘mother’ tactic worked well.

“You can inform my mother if you want to... And hey, I am older than you! How dare you call me by my full name?” So Eun rubbed her eyes and pouted, turning to face her neighbour who was her best friend as well. Even though Ha Neul was younger, they had always gotten along very well, so well that their parents sometimes joked that they might just end up marrying each other.

“Kim So Eun. I just like to call you that, can’t I? Don’t change the topic. Tell me why you are crying!” Ha Neul hated it when So Eun played the age card on him. He wanted to be the older person. He wanted to be the man who could protect her. In his heart, he made a promise to himself that he would protect So Eun forever, and if possible, he would wish to marry her. He wanted to grow up so fast but he just could not. Even at this moment in time, he was shorter than her. He placed his hands on his waist and tiptoed, trying to portray a more masculine image in front of So Eun, trying to intimidate her into telling him why she was crying.

So Eun noticed Ha Neul’s gestures and giggled. She jumped off her swing and stood with her feet on the ground, facing Ha Neul, “I am still taller, despite you tiptoeing, little boy!” So Eun then patted his head gently, like an elder sister.

Ha Neul brushed her hands off quickly, “Don’t do that. You know I hate it.” Ha Neul grumbled. He really desired to be the older one, or at least be the same age as her, so that she would stop treating him like a younger brother. He hated that feeling. He then retaliated by pinching So Eun’s rosy cheeks.

“Yah!” So Eun shouted as she tried to push Ha Neul off. While doing so, they both ended up falling onto the ground. Facing each other, they plastered angry expressions, staring at each other. However, within seconds, they ended up laughing loudly at each other.

“So why are you crying?” Ha Neul picked up from where he left off. He had a bad premonition; something was nagging at him badly after he saw So Eun crying alone.

“Ha Neul, I am migrating.” So Eun sighed and turned to look at her beloved friend and brother. Tears were in her eyes.

“Mi-migrating?” Ha Neul could not speak. This news was much worse than what he had expected. Even though he was only ten years old then, he knew what migrating means. He had heard about migration and that meant moving out of Korea. So Eun would be very far away from him.

So Eun nodded her head sadly. “America”

Ha Neul stared hard at So Eun who had now lowered her head. “When?” He asked.

“One week later.”

Silence.

She was moving away so soon, so soon that he could not do anything much for her. The two young children lay on the floor, in comfortable silence, both in deep thoughts.

“So Eun, I will miss you.” Ha Neul spoke.

“I will miss you too, Kang  Ha Neul. Do take good care of yourself. I hope you really grow much taller soon.” So Eun chortled, with tears glistening in her eyes.

“Yah, Kim So Eun!” Ha Neul gave an exaggerated look of frustration and then inched nearer to So Eun.

“What? Why are you so close to me?” So Eun asked, raising her hands to give Ha Neul a gentle nudge.

Ha Neul grabbed her hands, and then leaned forward to give her a light kiss on her forehead. “I will really miss you. I will grow up tall and strong. I promised myself that I will protect you always. Do remember to contact me, especially when you want to cry.”

So Eun was stunned. Suddenly, Ha Neul acted like those masculine and mature men in those romantic dramas that her mother and her watched together. She could only nod her head, not knowing how else to feel.

- TEN YEARS LATER -

So Eun glanced around, looking for the person who had invited her. She had been back to Seoul a few times over the years, but she was preparing to stay in Korea for good after attending this event.

“So Eun?” She heard someone calling her and turned to face the person.

In front of her eyes, was a well-built man dressed in a tuxedo suit. A charming smile spread wide on his face, and his eyes sparkled with joy.

“Ha Neul!” So Eun rushed forward, threw her arms around him and hugged him tightly. “I see you really have grown much taller.” So Eun chortled.

Ha Neul laughed along as well. He missed her laughter, even after so many years. “Thanks for coming, Kim So Eun!”

“Yah, didn’t I tell you since ten years ago that I am older than you? Call me Noona.” So Eun slapped her clutch gently against his chest. “Congratulations anyway!” So Eun grinned. The young boy back then had grown into such a charming and masculine man.

“Thank you, Noona!” Ha Neul gave a bow and laughed. Over the years, while they still did try to keep in contact, it was hard for them to develop any romance. They led different lives in different countries, used different languages, met different people and the time zones were too different. He Neul did try very hard to keep up with her pace, but So Eun told him not to. They were young; it might be just an infatuation. The worst part was her telling him that she treated him like a younger brother more than anything else. While she was thankful for his confession, she realised that she would prefer to watch him grow and develop into a man, as a supportive older sister instead. As time progressed, their communications lessened.

And tonight, he was getting engaged to another lovely lady whom he had met during work, Kim Ji Won. He had grown up and while he still believed that it was true love for So Eun back then, he knew it was not going to work. She would be his precious first love. That love would be etched in his heart but he had moved on. He believed she had moved on too.

“So where is the lucky girl?” So Eun winked. Ha Neul had tried very hard to keep in contact with her. She knew. However, while she had been confused initially about her feelings for him, especially since they were so young, she had grew to understand that it could be a habitual affection, and not love. She doted on him. She cared about him. He was important to her, even till now. He held a special place in her heart but she knew it was not love. He was more of a cherished family member to her. Thus, soon enough, she had made things clear to Ha Neul. The fact that they were leading vastly different lifestyles also made them drift apart. Furthermore, she had met other guys who made her feel loved, and who made her heart skip a beat.

“She is in a dressing room. I will bring you to see her. So any luck for your love life?” Ha Neul asked. Even though they had not seen each other for so many years (So Eun did not visit Ha Neul as their schedules tended to clash sadly and as if it were Fate’s doing as well), they both felt comfortable with each other immediately, settling into conversation easily. Both of them smiled genuinely to each other, knowing in their hearts that theirs was a unique bond, one that would not break. They would always be there for each other.

“No, guys run away after seeing me, sadly.” So Eun joked, making Ha Neul laugh loudly. “Just joking, I am now busy starting my own business so money first. I did have a few crushes and dates, but nothing serious and long. Unlike you, lucky boy, I saw your wedding photos. She looks gorgeous. How did you two get together?” So Eun started raising questions while Ha Neul answered obediently.

“Ji Won, this is my childhood best friend, So Eun. And So Eun, this is my wife-to-be, Kim Ji Won.” Ha Neul finally introduced them.

“You are really beautiful today, Ji Won. If Ha Neul ever bullies you, tell me!” So Eun smiled happily. She was relieved and really honoured to be here for Ha Neul’s engagement dinner. The young boy was settling down.

Ji Won smiled blissfully, “Thank you So Eun Unnie. Nice to meet you too. I have heard about you from Ha Neul.”

“What? What did he say about me?” So Eun responded quickly.

“He said,” Ji Won wanted to reply but Ha Neul stopped her.

“I am here, pretty ladies. Please do respect me. I have said nothing but kind words and praises for you, my dearest Noona. Please do not make it more embarrassing for me to admit that I was rejected at such a young age.” Ha Neul lamented with an exaggerated expression of frustration again, just like ten years ago.

The two ladies laughed heartily.

“Alright, alright. I shall not disturb the two of you in getting prepared for your engagement party. I am going to get seated. Anyway, this is my name card. I will be staying in Seoul for good this time round. Let me know if I can help you in any way. Have a blissful life together. I am so happy for the two of you!” So Eun gave her heartfelt blessings. Ha Neul and Ji Won really looked compatible. The fact that Ha Neul and Ji Won were so open and honest with each other, based on how they talked about her being Ha Neul’s childhood love and rejection, So Eun knew they were going to last. They had such faith and honesty with each other. Such love.

“Thank you!” Ha Neul and Ji Won thanked So Eun and smiled to each other. Ha Neul held Ji Won’s hand and kissed it. “I love you, Ji Won.”

“I love you too, Ha Neul.”

“Let’s get ready for this engagement party. Once we are done with finding housing and settling the other matters, we can get married and go on a honeymoon trip!” Ha Neul spoke excitedly while Ji Won smiled, blushing.

“Relax, Ha Neul. Keep So Eun Unnie’s contact card properly. I will continue to put on my make-up. Go entertain the guests!” Ji Won commanded gently.

“Yes, Mrs Kang!” Ha Neul planted a kiss on her cheek and moved off.

While strolling back to the venue for the party, Ha Neul stared at So Eun’s contact card. “Kim So Eun my promise still holds. I will protect you always, even though not as your love, but as family.” He kept the card in his pocket and then took out the rings he had prepared for Ji Won and himself.

Ha Neul grinned.

-

Heh. I liked my ending (visualise it) HAHAS. But I am not sure if you all will like it.

Feel free to leave a comment. THANK YOU:D

Thank you for reading this too:)

Appreicate it.

Best Regards

th1rd3yecrunch/th1rd3ye/crunch :)