and hit.

Swing...

 

remember Mondays being hell. Lying sleepless in my bed every Sunday evening just feeling the hours of sleep tick away, melting and morphing into a feeling of dread over the next day. 

Now my Sundays are spent lying sleepless in my bed for entirely different reasons and Mondays get lost in a blur of excitement.

My favourite part of the week used to be that very last hour of Friday. No-one did any work during this hour except me. I did a lot of work, challenging myself to get as much as I could done before a well-deserved weekend..
Now my favourite part of the week is Tuesdays.

Tuesday... even the word sounds magical to me. Equally magical to his name...

Hyukjae...

Lee Hyukjae...

The boss’s son Lee Hyukjae...

Damn just bend me over a desk and me Lee Hyukjae.

I get no work done on Tuesdays. I get no work done on Fridays either. Frankly how I still have a job is beyond me. 

Every Tuesday he arrives in time to have lunch with his father in his office. His ever present smile knocked me over the first time I saw it and has kept doing it since. The crispness of his white shirt collar contrasts against his soft black locks and I find myself wanting to bury my fingers in his hair, yanking on them teasingly... pleasingly.

Sungmin and Ryewook think I’m pathetic. Of course I know this, I see the way they look at me when I’m checking my appearance in the mirror for the 50th time every Tuesday morning.

Hyukjae works in a different department. His father has given him the responsibility there. I often try to plan some way of being able to swap sections. I would give anything to work under him… over him… behind him…

Lee Hyukjae

Boss Lee Hyukjae

Apparently I’ve been spacing out again because the ball of paper that hits my head startles me and the knowing grin that Sungmin sends me makes me want to take revenge by showing everyone on the floor his calendar. It’s full of silly marks, hearts, circles, arrows, all important things about his boyfriend Kyuhyun. But somehow I have a sneaky feeling he wouldn’t be embarrassed by it, and it would just inflate Kyuhyun’s ego even more. Looking at the brat in one corner of our office space I am damned determined not to give him that satisfaction. Instead I settle for chucking my own ball of paper at Sungmin’s head.

I’m fully expecting him to continue on with our playful fight and I stick my tongue out childishly at him, but the surprised look on his face and his eyes zoning in on something behind me leaves me confused.

“I see you’re working hard today Donghae-shi.”

I am about one centimetre short of falling off my chair as I spin around with a speed I didn’t know I possessed. Proud as I am that I at least manage to pull my tongue back into my mouth I am still very much ashamed of being caught with it out in the first place. Of all people to see me acting like that it just had to be him.

I’m momentarily stunned as I look at him, lost in today’s choice of a white shirt with a snakeskin collar. His plump lips are drawn into a small smile which surprises me as I feel he should be angry at me for not doing my job properly. And then it hits me.

“But it’s not Tuesday!” Smooth, real smooth.

For a moment Hyukjae just looks at me questioningly and then he laughs. I’ve never heard him laugh that way before and I love it. It’s so silly really.

“I know. It’s Friday.” He beams at me. He seems happy. I’m just mortified. I wonder if he can see that I’m blushing.

“Hyukjae!” Zhoumi calls from across the room and I curse him loudly in my head as Hyukjae gives me one last grin. I have heard the Chinese man go on about meeting Hyukjae at a party last week and instantly hitting it off while taking fashion, but to be honest I thought he might just be full of it. Zhoumi is our section manager, he’s the one closest to the boss, yet he has never seemed friendly with Hyukjae before, Hyukjae always greets everyone with the same smile and nod of the head. I guess it really has its perks to be one of the higher ups if you can get invited to parties like that. Still Zhoumi is a great guy and every other Friday he follows the rest of us out for after work drinks, maybe I should talk to him more on one of those days, become his friend, make some connections. Purely work related of course…

I can’t stop staring as the two men talk. Well actually I’m just staring at one of them. What is Hyukjae even doing here? His father left hours ago. One of those perks of being boss, you get to leave early on Fridays, or any day for that matter. Did he really come here just to talk to Zhoumi? Lucky Devil.

He talked to me too though, he actually talked to me. It was the first time. Not counting him saying hello before. Granted it was only a few words but he looked at me and smiled at me. He even said my name.

Wait!

He said my name!

He knows my name!

Lee Hyukjae knows my name!

Cue internal shrieking.

“Sungmin he knows my name” I turn and hiss at my best friend who has by now made his way over to my desk.

In the back of my mind I am aware that Sungmin is speaking to me but I’m too wrapped up in my own happiness to care about him all that much. So when he leans over me to save my work on the computer before turning the screen off I’m not completely sure what’s going on.

Noticing my perplexed look Sungmin just points at the clock. Work is finished for the day.

“Come on. Let’s make a quick break for the bathroom before we go out for drinks. You could use some fixing up if you’re going to spend time with Hyukjae.”

I come to a stop in the middle of the isle, making Sungmin bounce back against me from pulling on my arm. My eyes flicker over to where Hyukjae is perched on top of Zhoumi’s desk laughing at whatever the two are talking about. Sungmin pulls my arm again, dragging me with him.

“Donghae!? Did you not hear what Zhoumi just said? Hyukjae’s coming with us for after work drinks.”

 

WHAT!?

 

***

 

Five minutes later, freshly sprayed with cologne courtesy of Sungmin, a very thin layer of concealer under my eyes, also Sungmin’s doing, and a soft glow to my cheeks from where the I call my friend smacked me saying that I look good all rosy, I am now back by my desk right on time for everyone else to have gathered up their stuff, ready to go.

Hyukjae is still here.

He is still standing next to Zhoumi, looking ridiculously hot I might add.

As Sungmin gives me a reassuring pat on the back before slinking over to his boyfriend I manage to catch Hyukjae’s eyes for a second before he looks away again.

“Donghae! Let’s go! If we get there first Ahjumma will give us the best table.” Siwon slings an arm around my shoulders, dragging me out of the office and into the elevator. I’m sort of pissed off by the fact that I won’t be going together with Hyukjae seeing as we can’t all fit in the tiny excuse for a moving box, but I also resign myself when I think that Siwon is right. If we get there first Ahjumma will give us the good table with the comfy seats because Siwon always gets what he wants with his face and charms. Being his friend has its perks really. But it means having to hurry the hell up before all the other office workers get there.

The place we are going to is just a bit further down the street from our building and I know Hyukjae and the rest will catch up with us soon enough. So for now I concentrate on speeding up my steps to keep up with Siwon’s never ending legs. Well they aren’t as tall as zhoumi’s but almost.

We get to the place just in time to get the last big table and I fling myself onto one of the cushioned seats on the floor while Siwon orders 4 bottles of Soju. I am happily sipping a glass when I realize I am sitting in between Siwon and Henry which means no bloody way will I be able to get close to Hyukjae. I did not think this through properly.

Without any way of moving people around without seeming suspicious I watch with a pout on my face as the last of our gang joins us at the table. Kyuhyun flops down onto the seat opposite mine and his has barely landed on the floor before he’s up again, spurred on by Sungmin’s foot in his , and pushed one step to the left. I don’t even have time to respond to the wink Sungmin sends my way before another person drops down onto the now vacated seat and my eyes are all of the sudden filled with wonderful Hyukjae.

Oh.

Well hell this is so much better!

Hyukjae throws Sungmin a quick smile and a thank you before accepting the glass Siwon is offering him. As everyone has settled, we all raise our glasses for Zhoumi’s mandatory toast that he does when he come out with us, before downing our first shot in one go and I catch Hyuk’s gaze over the rim of his glass.

Holy flying those eyes.

I wish I could say that I act suave but really all I can do is choke on the alcohol that is burning its way down my throat. And if you think it burns going down then you should feel it burn when it come up your nose!

Henry is thumping me harshly on my back as I blow my nose and try to ignore the rest of the table either laughing at me or giving me sympathetically glances. But then Kyuhyun jokes it all away by leaning over Sungmin to tell Hyukjae about the time that Ryewook got so wasted he fell backwards and poured noodles all over his own face and I am filled with a very warm and intensive love for the man. Also a very short love since the moment he finishes that story he goes on to tell the one about me being so drunk that when coming back from the bathroom I sat down at the wrong table and drank someone else’s drink.

It doesn’t take long for the atmosphere to become nice, relaxed and loud, even with the addition of Hyukjae, which is saying something because he’s still one of the higher ups and we should all feel more guarded in front of him. I’m just not sure if that’s saying something about his character or ours, but I want to put it down to his ability to make people feel relaxed in his presence.

I refuse to put it down to my colleagues just not being normal enough to grasp the fact that they are drinking with the one and only son of the boss for the company which is almost as bad as having our actual boss there.

 

Yes, Hyukjae does have a relaxing aura…

 

We are all well into the third bottle of alcohol by the time I speak to him and by then I’m tipsy enough to not care about Sungmin’s knowing smile and his boyfriends smirk. Zhoumi makes it all somewhat easier from where he is sitting next to Hyukjae. He keeps the conversation flowing and when he notices the fact that I am listening he tries his best to get me to join into the conversation. After an hour and a half I have learnt that it’s not just my imagination. Hyukjae is ing awesome!

He’s funny, he’s hot and oh my god he is so cute when he laughs enough to show his gums, but then he goes and covers up his smile with his hands and I have lost count of how many times I’ve wanted to lean across the tale to pull them away again.

I really don’t want this night to end because I’m pretty sure it won’t repeat itself any time soon.

As the evening goes on I realize that he is really easy to talk to and when zhoumi rises with the intention of calling it a night, Hyukjae doesn’t stand up with his friend like I expect him to. He stays seated looking a bit sheepish. Zhoumi just gives him a small look but leaves it at that. He gives his new friend a pat on the back and gathers up his jacket, saying goodbye to the people staying and talking about splitting a cab with the ones that are leaving.

“Take care of him for me Donghae.” He tells me with a wink and I feel myself blushing when I realize that the people that were sitting the closest to us are all leaving and it makes it look like Hyukjae is staying for me which of course he isn’t. He might as well be staying for Kyuhyun and Sungmin. Although he has barely spoken a word to either of them since the beginning of the night and the men are now deep in conversation about something I feel we shouldn’t want to listen to. Not with the way Sungmins hands are slipping up Kyhyuns legs.

Hyukjae has stopped twisting in his seat and is following my gaze only to be meet with the sight of Kyuhyun pulling Sungmin closer by his tie. I’m used to this behaviour, we all are and Siwon who has at some point during the night moved further away from me to sit next to Ryewook just smiles at the two. Ryewook however is never that nice and settles for throwing out the ever appropriate “get a room” comment, which I realize when I see Hyukjae’s face is not the most gentle way to break it to him that the two men are involved. Although when Kyuhyun sticks his tongue down Sungmin’s throat I guess neither is that.

However five seconds later I find myself sitting next to Hyukjae and the man gingerly places his glass next to mine and tells me it’s easier to talk when we don’t have to yell across the table. Funny how things work out.

Half an hour later Siwon drags Ryewook towards a cab, set on taking him home before he starts dancing on the table. Sungmin and Kyuhyun are still in their own little world although I see Sungmin throwing me glances every now and then. I’m thankful he hasn’t left yet even if Kyuhyun has looked more than ready to for a while now. Well bros before hoes so it Kyuhyun!

Somehow me and Hyukjae have moved closer to each other while talking and his knee is brushing against mine. I can feel the soju on his hot breath as he leans in to whisper in my ear that Kyuhyun is looking a tad impatient. He doesn’t really have to whisper since we are far enough away and the bar is loud enough for the others not to hear us even when we are speaking normally. But it’s not like I’m going to tell him that. Instead I snigger at his words and take the opportunity to turn to face him, realizing that he is closer then I though.

We pull apart slowly until there is a more presentable distance between us and we can actually see each other without going cross eyed, but I notice I’m not the only one smiling like an idiot and trying to hide it.

Eventually Sungmin does call it a night and lets his boyfriend practically drag him off to whichever one of their apartments that is closest. Seeing as it’s just the two of us left now I’m not even going to try and talk myself into thinking Hyukjae stayed for anyone else. He’s here for me god damn it and I can’t even begin to comprehend how lucky I am.

 

Some time and a couple of not so innocent kisses up against a wall later, I get into a cab of my own, with Hyukjae’s number freshly typed into my phone. His promise of seeing me on Tuesday makes me smile as I quickly text Sungmin to tell him what happened.

Fridays are once again my favourite day of the week. 

 


I have no idea what this is....