The Girl In the Dark

The Girl In the Dark

 

Mark was lying in his bed, his eyes staring at the dark ceiling. He felt limp; his brain was begging to shut down but he couldn’t fall asleep. He was completely depleted but yet he couldn’t shut his eyes. Cold sweat scattered in tiny beads across his forehead. His breathing gradually came shorter and uneven.

Something was wrong. He couldn’t pinpoint what was. It was driving him crazy. Mark closed his eyes, but his heart continued to race. He closed his eyes and suddenly there was a long haired girl in a black dress standing at the feet of his bed.

Mark wanted to scream. He wanted to scream his lungs out but it was as if his body malfunctioned. His body grew rigid, his voice stuck in his throat, he couldn’t even lift a finger; only his eyes widened. The light from the full moon shone through the window into the room and glowed upon her pale skin. She was smiling at him, and the image was forcibly burned at the back of his mind. Mark couldn’t feel better at her friendly expression. There was something threatening about her dark eyes and slightly stretched one end of her lips.

Before he could take another breath, the girl was eerily close to him, Mark couldn’t see anything but her large dark orbs. He struggled for air as her cold fingers tightened around his neck.

 

 

 

“Hyung!”

“Mark hyung!”

“Hyung, wake up!”

Mark woke up with a jolt. He sat straight up, his chest heaved up and down frantically. His eyes darted around the bright room as if he was possessed by a foreign spirit.

“H-hyung, are you okay? You’re scaring me.”

Mark’s breathing calmed a little bit. He finally looked at Yugyeom who was sitting on the floor looking at him like a terrified puppy. Jackson, Bambam and Jr. were there too, staring back at him bewildered.

“I’m... I’m okay. Sorry,” the older male muttered.

“Are you sure? You’re sweating, and it seemed like you’re having problem breathing.” Jr. replied, worry in his eyes.

“Yeah. I’m fine now. Let’s get back to sleep.”

Yugyeom nodded and then turned off the light as he returned to his room with Bambam.

 

Next morning.

JYPE Building.

 

Mark was on his way to the group’s usual practice room but his steps halted in the middle of the narrow hallway. There was a girl standing there, blocking his way. She had a rather pale complexion and a jet black, straight long hair. Her posture strangely straight and proper. The moment his eyes met her dark orbs, Mark froze. He couldn’t even swallow the thick lump in his throat.

The girl smiled at him.

“It must be your first time seeing me. Hello, Mark sunbaenim. I am Jo Woorae. I’m a new trainee. It’s very nice to meet you,” she said. Her voice was calm, but for some reason, it was chilling as opposed to her sweet smile.

Mark tried to be decent; to at least return her greeting as a senior artist, but he found his voice to be stuck at his throat. The way she kept smiling at him didn’t show that she was offended from his lack of response.

As if she had the power of telekinesis, Mark voluntarily stepped aside and leaned against the wall to make way for her. She bowed to him with respect and made her way out of the narrow hallway.

Slowly, Mark reached for his chest. His heart was pounding so hard it felt as if it was about to jump out of his chest.

“Mark hyung?”

Mark turned his head to the side, where the girl had just gone. To his relief, it was the youngest member of his group, Yugyeom.

“Hyung, what’s wrong? You look like you had just seen a ghost. You’re sweating and you look so pale.” Yugyeom frowned, concerned.

“I... Did you just see that girl?” Mark asked.

Yugyeom nodded. “The one who passed by just now? That’s Woorae noona. He was my senior in high school. She started training in JYP five months ago.”

“You know her?”

Mark couldn’t believe it.

Yugyeom nodded. The maknae was a little flustered that the older male seemed to look like he had a hard time believing him.

“Why? What’s wrong, hyung?”

Mark just shook his head.

“Nothing. Let’s go to the practice room.”

Yugyeom nodded and walked by his side.

That girl, Jo Woorae. Her face was unbelievably identical of that girl who strangled him in his sleep last night.