101

My Characteristic Equation

101

 

 

Waking up in Yixing's arms, Chen smiled, nestling his head back to Yixing's shoulder. As he was about to fall asleep again, he heard the door open. Locking up, he found Junmyeon standing by the door, carefully looking in to see if he should close it again and slip away.

“Come in, it's okay,” Chen chuckled. Sighing realised, he walked in and shut the door behind him.

“You okay?” Junmyeon carefully whispered.

“Yes, don't worry.” Chen smiled at him, getting Junmyeon to smile back carefully. However, he soon tensed again as he saw Yixing shifting. Yixing mumbled something about 'why on earth should he have to learn binary numbers', and Chen cackled. Even Yixing's dreams were filled with the subject he swore to hate. Chen ruffled his hair, making his bed hair even worse. Junmyeon shaked his head, slipping away to the closet, finding some clean clothes, before taking off to change in the bathroom. Chen smiled at the timid foreigner, shaking his head right back at him. Shaking Yixing awake, Chen started to explain to him how easy binary really was. Yixing groaned, but listened to him after all.

“…so in every counting system, you have as many digits as the name of the system, binary has two – 0 and 1, decimal got ten – 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. At the first place, you put how many you want of that number raised to the power of zero. And any number raised to the power of zero is one, right. In binary, you can only have zero or one, then the next place you have many twos, tens, you want raised to the power of one…” Yixing fell out as he stared at Chen's face as he tried to explain to him how to count binary on your fingers.

 

“See? Isn't it simple?” Chen beamed at him. Yixing smiled awkwardly, scratching his head. Chen pushed him, pretending to be mad. Yixing wrapped his arms around him and Chen struggled to get out of his hold, until he gave up, cursing Yixing's well-built body.

“I'll get Tao to train me, and then you're taking it up the !” Chen swore, glaring at him.

“Yes, yes,” Yixing chuckled, not fearing that day to come. Chen slapped his in return.

 

 

 

 

Junmyeon had uncertainly agreed to switch rooms with Chen. He looked up at the dark, tan giant and wondered if it had been a good idea. However, Tao soon declared to Chen that he had found a better mama, sticking out his tongue and dragging Junmyeon away with him. Chen and Yixing exchanged glances before falling over the table in laughter.

 

 

 

 

Yixing stood there in the grass, proudly with one of Tao's weapons, a dao. Chen sat down, looking up at him expectantly. As Yixing finished, Chen cheered loud enough for everyone outside to turn their heads and look what was going on. He jumped up and threw his arms around Yixing's shoulders, giving him a quick kiss.

 

 

 

 

Fouling around at the library, Chen had taken Yixing's math notebook hostage and was writing awfully cheesy stuff on it as Yixing tried to grab it back. Eventually though, Chen slipped, and not only did Yixing get his notebook, he got his arms filled with Chen. Tickling him, Chen soon fell to the floor in refuge. Yixing laughed at him, and sat down on him so he couldn't run away. Chen tried to fight, but Yixing simply read out loud what he had written.

“'My characteristic equation, you know how to complete me', seriously? Are you a differential equation, honey Chenchen?” Yixing bullied, making Chen smack his . Yixing laughed, and tickled him in return. “'If I could be a complex number, I would be your conjured', really, so that together we could be real?” Yixing looked down at him mockingly. “God, you're so cheesy, I oughta eat you all up!” Chen shrieked and finally slipped away, running out. Yixing soon caught up with him, and they rolled around on the grass.

“Damn, I've taught you way too much,” Chen pouted. Yixing smirked and tickled him even more, making Chen beg for mercy. Yixing d, biting down carefully at Chen's hands as he wriggled under him.

“Let go home,” Yixing smiled, getting up and offering Chen a hand, pulling him tightly against his body. “So that I can eat you all up,” he whispered into his ear, and held him tight, not letting him run away.

 

 

 

 

“I'm gonna miss you,” Chen sniffed. Yixing turned back and hugged him.

“Come visit me, promise,” Chen nodded. “Good, I will too, and there's always kakaotalk and skype!” Chen nodded again. Yixing looked around before planting a quick peck on his lips. “It's not like I'm going to Changsha, I'll be merely half an hour away.”

“I know,” Chen whispered, slightly pouting.

“When we're done with our grades, we will find some place together, right?”

“Yes.”

“Time flies, we will barely be apart before we can be together again,” Yixing smiled, patting his cheeks. “But I really have to catch this train, Chenchen.” They slowly let go off each other's hands. Yixing got on the train, and waved his hands through the window. The train departed, and Yixing blew him a kiss.

“And I'm the cheesy one,” Chen mumbled before throwing one back before Yixing went out of view. When the train was gone, Chen sighed before turning, leaving the station.

 

 

 

 

“May I ask you, mister Zhang, why are you hoping to join our team?”

“I believe I can really show my talents and capabilities here, and bring this company even higher. And,” he paused, blushing, “this is where the one I love lives.”

“Oh, what does he* do?”

“He is studying mathematics for his Ph.D. here at Xinghua university.”

“Oh, that is very impressive. Do you ever feel embarrassed to have stopped at just a master?”

“No. That is not to say that if I got an opportunity, I would decline straight away, but I am more interested in finally getting to make something. My fingers are itching to do so.” The interviewers smiled. “That's right, would you like to see some off what I've drawn so far?” Exchanging looks, they nodded. Yixing got up and handed them a thick block.

“Is every design yours?” Yixing nodded. “That's very impressive. Can we keep this until we reach our decision?”

“Of course, it's only the copies.”

“Thank you, you may leave.” Yixing got up and bowed. Out in the hallway, he cheered. The company might be young, but they were rapidly building new masterpieces and winning awards. They were also very international, and had an office in Korea and UK as well. Chen had talked about wanting to travel, see the world, so Yixing really hoped he would get the job, they were not a company hiring many, their total number of employees merely thirty-five people.

 

 

 

 

Yixing was walking over to Chen's university to surprise him, as his phoned ringed.

“Is this Mr. Zhang Yixing?”

“Yes, who do I have the pleasure to talk with?”

“This is xxx Architecture, we are happy to inform you that you got the position as an architect here at us.”

“Really? Wow, this is excellent!”

“Please think over it before you give us your final decision.”

“Yes, thank you!”

“Good bye, hopefully we'll meet soon.”

“Thank you, have a good day,” Yixing beamed as he put lowered his phone. He hurriedly called Chen, asking him were he was.

“I'm at the coffee place by the library that we used to go to.”

“Really, that's perfect, don't go anywhere!”

“Yixing, Yixing what's going on. Wait, you're not here are you?” Running as fast as he could, Yixing didn't hear the question. He stormed over and picked Chen up in his arms, swirreling him around.

“–xing, Yixing,” Chen shrieked. “Yixing, why are you here?” Chen looked down into his eyes.

“For a job interview…” Yixing laughed.

“What, here? Are you going to…?”

“Yes, I got the job, just now!”

“How could you come here without telling me? I missed you so much!” Chen hit him, still smiling.

“I don't have a place to stay though…” Yixing looked up at him hopefully.

“Of course you do, stupid.” Yixing beamed and kissed him. Chen turned all red, wriggling out of his hold, and hitting him again. “People can see! Stupid, why are you still so fit? Have you been training so I won't catch up to you?” Chen let his eyes turn into small slits. Yixing doubled over laughing.

“Show me your new place you told me about.” Yixing pushed him teasingly, before whispering,

“So that I can kiss you again.”

 

 

 

*In spoken Chinese, you can't hear any difference between he/she (他/她), both pronounced . Thank you so much for reading. Chapter name four and five follows the same idea (being four and five binary), since it's one split chapter. Seriously ending it now because I have no idea what to name the next chapters (I would love ideas).