Sequel

I Thought You Were My Everlasting

5 years, 3 months, 16 days and counting…


It had been that long since I had seen Jungwoo after I broke up with him. After the breakup, I took a holiday in Singapore, trying to take in the sights and forget about him. I could safely say I was no longer affected by our breakup. Instead, it taught me a lesson: not to be so naive and reliant on a person.


Although Singapore was nice, I felt that I took a long enough hiatus from Korea. Cutting off all contact for 5 years was difficult. Plus, I missed Korea. I would prefer my hometown to anywhere in the world any day. Which was why now I am back in Korea. I was glad I haven't forgotten my Korean. I went to go see most of my friends already.


I stopped by a convenience store to buy some bottled coffee. As I searched through the rack, I heard someone call my name. "Minji?"


I paused for a moment, suddenly remembering my Korean name. Living the past 5 years as Minzy made me forget my identity in Korea. I whisked around and two sturdy hands clamped around my upper arms. I gasped and my eyes widened. "Jungwoo?"


"It is you! Wow, you look different," Jungwoo commented as he my red hair. I gave a small smile. I hadn't really thought I would see him the first day I came back. "You kinda disappeared off the face of the earth after we broke up. We all didn't know where you went." He said, referring to our common friends.


I nodded and told him that I had gone to see them already. "So… you wanna have a drink?"


------------------------------------------


We went to this cute little cafe and got a coffee. Cold coffee - as he said - isn't effective for keeping you awake. Thus he brought me to have some hot coffee while we chatted.


"So, how's Hara?" I casually mentioned, carefully sipping my coffee. He shrugged and it made me narrow my eyes. "What do you mean you don't know?"


"We broke up." I blinked. I didn't think that would happen. After all, didn't he cheat on me for her in the first place? "I got depressed when you left and she got pissed and we broke up." As if things were that simple.


"Why were you depressed?" I quietly asked, looking at my coffee.


"Cuz I missed you too much." Well, way to seem desperate. I uneasily gripped onto my cup, already knowing what's coming next.


"Can we get back together? I found out I can't live without you… please, Minji?" Jungwoo pleaded, his coffee now just sitting on the table between us. I bit my lip, inwardly sighing.


"Minji…" He repeated, his hand reaching out for me. That was enough. I put the cup down on the table harshly. I reached into my wallet and paid for my coffee.


"Look, the moment you decided to cheat on me, you should have known the consequences. You cheated on me with my best friend. I don't love you anymore, and you have just betrayed my trust for you as a friend. If Hara really likes you, then treat her well because she doesn't deserve to suffer just because you want to be a player." With that spat out, I felt a lot better and walked out the cafe.

This is the second time I walked out on the same man.


I guess he really hasn't changed.