It Began with a Letter / Night of Fate

Another Side, Another Story

   She had lost everything. The woman who raised her, the sister who protected her, her friends, and him. 

   Krystal sighed as she took off her sunglasses and floral-pattern wedge heels, sitting down on the warm sand and listening to the calm waves of the ocean. The cerulean water was calming, the white foam of the ocean barely touching her toes. She looked down at the sand, running her fingers across it slowly, tracing random circles and lines into it. She looked back up, running her hand through her hair and keeping it in one spot, preventing her long black bangs from blocking her vision. Krystal stared off into space, her eyes concentrated on the setting sun in the far horizon. It was sunset, the sky being a mix of yellow, orange, pink, and purple. 

   Her hand reached into her cream-colored purse, pulling out a clear glass bottle with a rolled-up paper inside. She glanced at the bottle, spinning it a few times in her hands, then she glanced back at the ocean. The raven-haired girl spent what felt like hours shifting her eyes between the bottle and the ocean. She stood up, putting her wedges and sunglasses back on. She slung the purse on to her shoulder and turned, starting to walk away before she stopped for a moment. Krystal gripped the bottle by its neck and turned, chucking it out to the ocean. The bottle hit the water a few meters away, sinking for a second before resurfacing and bobbing up and down the waves far away. She fixed her purse which had fallen to her elbow, and went on her way back.

 χ

   After months of nothing but silence, Krystal had went back to the beach. She didn't have anything with her besides her purse. It was night time, and all the stars were out. The moon shined brightly, illuminating the now-cold sand. The tide was a bit stronger, and she was barefoot. She considered walking into the ocean and letting herself be taken, with the likeliness of simply never returning and drowning. The Darkness had taken everything she cherished away, and her days were filled with emptiness. 

   She nodded and adjusted her silver necklace, holding the small platinum heart-shaped pendant for a moment in her palm. The chilly air passed by, making Krystal shiver a bit. She put the tip of her foot in the water, hissing as the freezing remains of a wave passed through it. With a shake of her head, she exhaled the nerves inside her and continued walking into the water. The waves reached right above her knee, the highest point splashing against her black shorts. It was time for her to dive forward and let the ocean take her away. It was in that moment when a soundless plea touched her ears. It wasn't of her own mind, but the words simply entered without voice.

Don't go yet.
Turn back.
The Darkness opens a light for you.
Take the chance and find him.
Be warned that not everything ends with light.

 

   She shook her head in shock, turning to look back at the sand where her purse laid. As the soundless voice said, there was what appeared to be a portal made of darkness waiting for her. That was the chance she had to find him, but the danger it posed was unknown. It was a risky chance, but there wouldn't be another. She turned fully and took off in a dash for the portal, diving into the Darkness.

 χ

   The lightning crackled viciously against the sand on the island, and Krystal glanced out of her window to see her friends running frantically around. It was unusual, so she had went off to her balcony to see what was going on. The sight wasn't what she expected. Luna and Myungsoo where swinging with baseball bats at unusual black shadow-like creatures. They were in danger. 
   "Krystal?" She turned to see her adoptive mother Kahi running out on to the balcony with a look of worry engraved on her face. 
   "I need to go help them." Krystal nodded, climbing over the balcony and preparing to jump down to the sand below. Kahi grabbed her by the wrist.
   "Don't. It's pure darkness that created those creatures. You could die." The lines on her face showed her worry to be deep and knowing. Krystal disregarded it, turning away when she saw the sight before her. It was her friend Sulli screaming as she was pinned down by a group of those shadowy creatures, and her screams abruptly died out. It was as if those shadows consumed her, because they blended back into the sand and shifted around, and Sulli was nowhere to be seen. Krystal's eyes widened in panic and she jumped down to the sand, Kahi shouting out to her as she landed and ran to Luna and Myungsoo.
   She picked up a black wooden pole and swung at the creatures once she was near the other two, but the pole simply swept right through the creatures. Her expression was one of surprise as the creature leaped at her, barely managing to sidestep it. Krystal ran forward and caught up to the pair.
   "Krystal!" They both shouted, moving so that they were in a triangle formation. Their bats and pole wouldn't damage the shadows in the slightest, as if it were simply swinging through air, but it would keep them from getting to them directly. The three continued running ahead, swinging frantically at the creatures. The shadows split Luna and Krystal apart from Myungsoo, who was still going farther and swinging repeatedly.
   One of those shadows leaped at Krystal, barely blocking it with her pole when she realized the creature clung to the wood. Within a second, the wooden pole snapped in half from the force of the black creature. Her eyes widened as it pounced at her, when it was obliterated in a flash of light. Krystal looked back in shock to see Kahi standing with her arm stretched outward, the flash of light having come from her. In her white nightgown, she ran to Krytal and Luna, gripping their wrists tightly, light glowing from her hands.
   "Run." She whispered as she let go of the girls' wrists, hugging Krystal for a moment before turning away from the two girls and running forward, throwing orbs of light at the shadowy creatures. Krystal was about to run to her adoptive mother when Luna tugged on her wrist.
   "Don't let Kahi give up her light in vain." Krystal blinked in shock and nodded, continuing to run with Luna towards Myungsoo who was being cornered by the ocean. He couldn't swim.
   Myungsoo was panting, becoming tired from trying to fight off those creatures. The attacks wouldn't even work on them. When Krystal and Luna finally got to him, he swung his bat at them, forcing the two girls to jump back. He gave a sad smile to them and shook his head.
   "We can't always run. I'm giving in- I'm not afraid of the darkness!" He was consumed in a fire of darkness, and he held his hand out to them before disappearing. He didn't disappear like Sulli did, she was gone. Myungsoo however, he let the darkness take him. He was somewhere, but they had to find him. It was sudden when a light flashed upon the two girls, enveloping them and taking them somewhere else, far away from the island.

   She awoke in shock, the memory flooding her memory. Krystal looked around to see she was in a dark alleyway, against the wall. With a groan she stood up, walking through the dark alleyway.
   "I guess this is the way to find him."

 χ

"She found a way through the Darkness."
"It looks that way."
"Take care of it."
"As you wish."

χ

Well? How was the first chapter? Review in the comments below~ 
And about the title of this chapter- it's technically a chapter composed of two segments- the flashback (italic) and her arrival in the new area which is "Night of Fate". Everything prior to the flashback was It Began with a Letter.
~Baby G