1/1

Making a Deal With a Demon

               Yongguk was sitting on a branch high up in a tree staring into a college classroom, specifically at one boy in particular. Of course, even if someone looked out the window they wouldn’t see him sitting there since he had himself invisible from human sight. So, there he sat wasting his day watching over his favorite client.

                “What are you doing?” A honey dipped voice asked.

                Yongguk glanced only briefly to his right to acknowledge Daehyun’s presence before turning his eyes back to the boy who was absorbed in his teacher’s lecture. “What do you mean?”

                Daehyun scoffed. “What do I mean? He’s going to find out eventually that he didn’t actually sell his soul to you in exchange for him to become handsome.”

                Yongguk frowned as he thought back to the first day he met the confusing boy he had watched grow into an adult.

                *FLASHBACK*

                Yongguk felt the pull of someone calling a demon to make a deal. He sighed knowing he was probably the closest one to the crossroads the human was at. Yongguk teleported there and cocked his eyebrow in surprise.

                “You aren’t the usual type to be asking for a deal.” Yongguk said.

                A boy about 12 years old jumped in surprise from the voice coming from behind him. He quickly composed himself and glared up at Yongguk. “Not the usual type?”

                Yongguk’s lips twitched into a smile which seemed to irritate the young boy even more. Yongguk couldn’t help it though. The boy was so cute with his black hair that fell into his face, making his slightly chubby cheeks even more prominent. He was young and cute but the fire within him shone through his eyes, telling Yongguk that his boy would grow into someone who would fight tooth and nail for what he wanted.

                “Most of the people who call for me are older than you.”

                “Don’t look down on me just because I’m a teenager, I know how this works!”

                “Oh do you? What’s your name, kid?”

                “Kim Himchan.” Himchan said proudly.

                “Well Himchan, what exactly is going on here?” Yongguk challenged the young boy’s knowledge.

                Himchan crossed his pudgy arms in front of himself. “You are a crossroads demon.” Yongguk nodded and Himchan continued. “I called you here to make a deal where I will be exchanging my soul.”

                “I’m impressed. Most adults don’t know the soul part. So, what is it you want so much that you are willing to trade your soul away?”

                Himchan looked up at Yongguk with a feeling of determination. “I want to be good-looking.”

                Yongguk sighed. “How boring… are you sure?”

                Himchan pursed his lips and nodded. “If I’m hot then I won’t be bullied all the time and I’ll have more options available to me in life.”

                “I could give you fame, fortune, love, ANYTHING and you choose just to look good and try to get all of that on your own?” Yongguk looked at the boy closely.

                “I’m smart enough to get the other things on my own. I just…” Himchan’s confidence wavered.

                Yongguk’s gaze softened and he bent down so he was on the boy’s level. He put his fingers under Himchan’s chin to force the boy to look him in his eyes. They say that the eyes are the window to the soul, but Yongguk had the ability to see a person’s past and possible future through close direct eye contact. Himchan stopped struggling once he was stuck in Yongguk’s stare and slowly information started to flow into Yongguk. The memories of the horrible bullying which Himchan used long sleeves to cover up and the harsh words from his family about his weight were the strongest. Yongguk switched over to Himchan’s future and saw that in many of the potential futures Himchan grew up to be one of the best looking men around. Satisfied he knew everything he needed to know, Yongguk blinked, releasing Himchan from his hold.

                Himchan pulled away, unaware what had just passed. “Let go of me!”

                Yongguk stood up straight as his thoughts battled within his head. It made sense to make the deal, he would get a soul easily, but another part of him wanted to do something differently, wanted not to hurt him.

                “So, are we making the deal or not?” Himchan scowled.

                “You know making this deal means you would only have 10 years left to live, correct?” Yongguk asked.

                “Yes, I know and I’m prepared for that.” Himchan said bravely.

                Yongguk sighed finally making his decision. “Alright, I’ll make you good looking, but I don’t think this is going to be like how you planned.”

                Himchan’s brow furrowed in confusion. “It doesn’t just happen immediately?”

                “No, you are going to have to work for it. I’ll be training you every day so that you can lose weight a healthy way. If I don’t do it this way then you’ll just gain it back later, wouldn’t you?”

                “I guess…” Himchan looked at Yongguk confused. “But my looks…”

                Yongguk waved the question off. “It’ll come.”   

                “Fine. You’re making a deal so you are being held to your word.” Himchan reminded.

                Yongguk rolled his eyes. “I’m the demon here, of course I know this.”

                “Good… so…” Himchan looked around awkwardly before closing his eyes and puckering up his lips.

                “Woah! What are you doing?” Yongguk’s heart started pounding in his chest.

                Himchan’s eyes shot open. “I thought these things had to be sealed with a kiss?”

                “I…yeah… wow you really know a lot…” Yongguk scratched his head before holding his hand out. “You haven’t had your first kiss yet, right? I don’t want to steal it so I’ll change the rule just this once. We’ll shake hands instead.”

                “Shake hands?” Himchan asked skeptically.

                Yongguk nodded. Himchan hesitantly raised his small hand up and placed it in Yongguk’s bigger hand. Yongguk gripped Himchan’s hand tightly and shook it. Nothing happened, but Himchan didn’t know that.

                Yongguk brushed his hands off on his pants after releasing the boy’s hand. “Alright, let’s get started on our deal.”

*END FLASHBACK*

                Yongguk shrugged. “Maybe I didn’t feel like signing away someone’s soul on something so simple.”

                Daehyun scoffed. “You still do to other people. Just yesterday you signed away someone’s soul so that they wouldn’t be allergic to dogs.”

                “That’s completely different.”

                “No it isn’t!” Daehyun threw his hands up in frustration. “In fact not taking this boy’s soul was more work for you! Don’t think I didn’t see those books on diet and exercise when I visited you.”

                Yongguk rolled his eyes. He noticed Himchan starting to pack up his bags and smiled. “Looks like that’s my cue.”

               “Wait—Yongguk!” Daehyun reached out to Yongguk but only grabbed air as Yongguk let himself drop to the ground.

                Yongguk walked to the front of the school and waited for Himchan to come out. His red hair and outfit including a leather jacket over a grey wife beater, black jeans, and a pair of white nikes (a gift from Himchan so that he would have some color variation in his wardrobe), attracted attention of many of the students leaving the building who gave the demon a wide berth, but Yongguk paid no attention to them. His sharp gaze didn’t falter until Himchan finally walked out of the building.

                When Himchan spotted Yongguk he smiled as he rolled his eyes, but walked over the demon that was almost always waiting for him to get out of class. Yongguk smiled once Himchan reached him and fell into step with the boy as they began the walk back to Himchan’s house.

                “Don’t you have anything better to do?” Himchan asked.

                Yongguk shrugged. “Making deals with demons isn’t as popular as it used to be.”

                Himchan rolled his eyes again. “I’m sure. And that’s why you have been hanging around my school all day?”

                Yongguk blinked in surprise. “How did you—“

                Himchan’s laugh cut him off. “Well I know for sure know. Bbang, you are so lame. I can’t believe I used to be scared of you.”

                “I think I miss those days.” Yongguk mumbled.

                “You could always go find someone else to terrorize.” Himchan suggested.

                “….maybe tomorrow.” Yongguk said quietly.

                Himchan smiled and hooked his arm around Yongguk’s. “Alright, but I’m warning you now that I’m going to be boring tonight since I have to study.”     

                “That’s fine.” Yongguk shrugged. “I’ll just get started on those books you picked up from the library for me.”

                “Who would have thought that such a scary looking demon was actually a softie?” Himchan teased.

                Yongguk frowned. “I am not.”

                Himchan patted his arm. “You are when you want to be.”

                “Shall I remind you how terrible I can be?” Yongguk asked making his deep voice darker as he turned to glare at Himchan, a glare when coupled with his voice made many men tremble in fear.

                Himchan just smiled though since he was immune to Yongguk, having known him so long. “Sorry Bbang, it doesn't work on me anymore. I know how cute you are.”

                Yongguk grumbled the rest of the way home about how he might just have to kill someone to make Himchan fear him again.

 

                Later that night Yongguk was lounging on Himchan’s bed reading, leather jacket off and hanging on the younger man’s bed frame so it wouldn’t wrinkle, while Himchan sat at his desk writing. Yongguk was completely engrossed in the novel, feeling relaxed. Yongguk would never admit it but, being around Himchan was the only time he let his guard down, especially in his room when it was just the two of them.

                Suddenly, Himchan dropped his pen and swiveled his chair to stare at Yongguk.

                Yongguk raised an eyebrow so the younger knew he was paying attention to him.

                “Aren’t you going to take my soul?” Himchan said irritably.

                Startled, Yongguk dropped the book. He flinched from the pain when the spine hit his chest. “What?”

                “What do you mean what?” Himchan’s voice started to rise. “Today is the day you should be taking my soul! I’ve been writing my will and everything is ready, why don’t you just kill me already?”

                “I…uhhh I… that was today?” Yongguk was lost for words.

                Himchan groaned and shook his head. “No, it’s tomorrow… but obviously you aren’t keeping track.”

                “I well.. that’s because—“

                “Bbang, how long are you going to keep up the act?” Himchan asked seriously.

                “What act?” Yongguk asked innocently.

                Himchan glared. “Come on Yongguk, I know you didn’t make that deal with me.”

                Yongguk’s jaw dropped. “What?”

                Himchan rolled his eyes. “I followed you a couple times when I was younger when you went to make deals with people. You never went back to them, never made them work for their goals, and always kissed them to seal the deal.”

                “I told you—“

                “It was a one-time thing? Really Yongguk you are going to keep lying?” Himchan sat there judging the demon. Yongguk looked away and Himchan sighed. “I’ve always wanted to say thanks. You know, the hard-work I put into changing myself made me into a better person. I learned that I could change or do whatever I wanted as long as I tried.”

                “Why did you put up with me?” Yongguk finally said, looking at him confused. “If you knew then you could have kicked me out of here a long time ago!”

                Himchan smirked. “Why do you stay here? I know you have a home elsewhere, but still you spend most of your time with me?”

                Yongguk was flustered not knowing what to say.

                “I—I asked you first.” Yongguk chided himself for his childish remark, which was the only thing he could think of at that moment.

                Himchan chuckled. “How old did you say you were again?”

                Yongguk glared and was about to reply but Himchan rose from his chair, walking closer to Yongguk with that smirk on his face that Yongguk just didn’t know what to say to. Himchan straddled Yongguk, letting his hands slide up the demon’s chest, only the think wife beater keeping their skin from touching, and Yongguk’s mind went blank.

                “I didn’t kick you out because I was serious when I said you could have my life and I haven’t regretted it for a day.” Himchan whispered in Yongguk’s ear. “So, Bbang… which question do you want to answer first: why didn’t you make the deal or why did you stick around?”

                “I think I preferred you when you were a shy kid.” Yongguk said once he started getting used to the situation. “If you must know, it was because I wanted more than your soul.”

                “Oh?” Himchan prompted him to continue.

                Yongguk smirked and using his supernatural speed flipped them over so that he had Himchan now pinned on the bed beneath him. “I want all of you Chanie, body and soul.”

                “As long as I’m your only one.” Himchan his lips.

                “Trying to bargain with me?” Yongguk smiled widely.

                “What do you say?” Himchan began sliding his foot up Yongguk’s leg. “Do you want to take this deal?”

                Yongguk chuckled. “My Himchan’s body and soul for all of eternity; living with me forever? Oh, I think I will.”

                “Are we going to do this the right way this time?” Himchan asked as he tilted his head.

                “Of course.” Yongguk smiled as he bent his head down to press their lips together to seal the deal.