part one

Rings
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

warning: non graphic and one use of strong language

 

 

Three months later, Luhan met Xiumin.

 

Their first encounter had been at a supermarket. Luhan had been tired from his work and it was evident in his appearance, his hair a mess and clothes scruffy. All he wanted were some eggs and ramen so that he could go home and lock the door, hiding away from the rest of the world and any who may recognise him. Not paying attention, he had walked straight into another man and knocked the groceries right out of his hands, milk bottles smashing and cupcakes being crushed. Luhan had been mortified. He fussed over the slightly smaller man, apologising over and over again, but the other male didn't seem to mind. He brushed off his apologies with a smile and a gesture of the hand, telling him not to worry.

 

"It's fine, I've got it" he said to Luhan. Once everything was back in the bags and they had a cleaning attendant mopping up the mess that they'd made, the man stood and held out a hand.

 

"My name's Xiumin." Luhan stood still for a moment, before reaching out a hand and shaking it.

 

"Luhan. Look, do you want me to pay for your shopping? Because I will-"

 

Xiumin cut him off, shaking his head. "Please Luhan, it was an accident. I forgive you."

 

After a few more attempts Luhan eventually gave in, walking away feeling like a fool. The man’s skin had been soft, and his palms tingled from where they had touched his. Out in the cool air however, the sensation vanished, being swept away by the wind along with Luhan’s fading thoughts of the pretty man named ‘Xiumin.’

 

They didn't see each other for a time after that, but that would not be their last encounter. Jongin, a work colleague of Luhan's, had said that he didn't think that Luhan got out enough, insisting that he'd come to his party. Luhan had been apprehensive, saying that he was behind on a lot of work, but Jongin had placed a hand on his shoulder and told him that what he needed was to relax. As it turned out, they had a common friend.

 

Xiumin had spotted Luhan first. He was sat round a table with three other males, and his face lit up when he saw the man he'd stumbled across at the supermarket.  Waving, he beckoned Luhan over, and the awkward blonde had no choice but to go and say hello.

 

Luhan didn't know the other men, and in all honesty, he was quite happy to have it stay that way. A wave of embarrassment washed over Luhan when Xiumin exclaimed (and not quietly either) "You're that guy from the supermarket! The one who made me drop my bags." But to his relief, he said it in a way that reassured Luhan he still wasn't harbouring any resentment. "What was your name again?"

 

"Luhan." Luhan hadn't forgotten the other's name. "You're Xiumin, yeah?" Just act casual, Luhan encouraged himself. Play it cool.

 

A lazy grin spread across Xiumin's face. "Yup. That's me."

 

The rest of the night went on, and as it did, Xiumin and Luhan learnt more and more about one another. In the beginning, Luhan had been on edge, and in his nervousness knocked a glass off the table with an awkward jerk of the wrist. It had spilled all over one of Xiumin's friends, the big intimidating looking man with the thick eyebrows. It was an understatement to say that at that moment in time, Luhan severely regretted ever taking Jongin's advice. Face cranberry red, he wished he'd just stayed at home.

 

The man who he'd soaked in beer's name was Kris. Luhan stammered his apologies as he stood up to get some napkins, but Kris grumbled not to bother. Kris had been rather forgiving in fairness, but as soon as the glass toppled, the raven haired boy beside Kris’ head shot up. He hadn't said anything since Luhan had sat down, only occasionally whispering something into the big eyebrowed man's ear. While Kris tried to get the beer off his jeans, the boy beside him sat like a vulture, glaring daggers into Luhan. After various failed attempts at removing the liquid from his clothes, he sighed and said that he was going to the toilets. Slinging an arm around the black haired boy's shoulders, the two left, Luhan receiving one final glare before they blended into the crowds and out of view.

 

"Clumsy, aren't you?" Xiumin winked at him.

 

"Who was that man?" Luhan asked quietly, hyper vigilant in case the two came back.

 

"Them? The big one's Kris, and his girl- oh no, his boyfriend is Tao." The last remaining of Xiumin's friends chuckled at his obvious 'slip' in words. "They're kinda scary at first, but I promise they're both babies underneath all that."

 

"Didn't seem much like it" Luhan mumbled.

 

Xiumin waved him off. "They're just very possessive of one another is all. What would you say, Yeol? About Tao and Kris."

 

'Yeol' grinned. "They're sweethearts, but someone really should tell Tao that Kris is allowed to play with the other kids now." Xiumin laughed, fist bumping the man for his comment. Still chuckling, he turned back to Luhan.

 

"Don't sweat it, Luhan. They'll get to like you in time."

 

Safe to say, Kris and Tao did not return.

 

However after that, things started to improve. Now it was just Luhan, Xiumin and the ginger guy who Luhan found out's name was Park Chanyeol. Luhan liked Chanyeol. He was nice and friendly and had didn’t seem to have any über-protective boyfriends at the party; none within sight anyway. For the most, they just talked about this and that. But later the lights are dimmed and Luhan gulps when Xiumin leans over and whispers in his ear:

 

"Dance with me?"

 

The song wasn't Korean, nor was it anything Luhan had heard before. It was in English, a woman's deep voice reverberating throughout the compacted room. The low bass line throbbed until Luhan could feel it vibrating up from his shoes to the very tips of his hair, taking him over, and it made him feel almost giddy. Pale hands crept round his waist and Luhan was thankful because he wasn't entirely sure of his balance right at that moment.

 

Luhan's strong point wasn't dancing - he'd always considered himself to be more of a singer - and Sehun had always been the 'funkier' one in clubs. The two used to go clubbing some before the accident, and where one lacked it didn't matter because they would stick close and so together they made the perfect party-goers. But Xiumin's hands held onto him so that he didn't have to concentrate on where his feet were, and instead he just felt. And it felt right, dancing with the black haired boy that supported him through the sound of the music. Leaning his head on Xiumin's shoulder, he breathed in the scent of his clothes. Xiumin smelt like lavender and washing powder, and it made Luhan smile.

 

Before he knew it, Xiumin leant back and their faces were inches, centimetres, millimetres apart and soon, somehow, he was kissing him.

 

Xiumin tasted even better than he smelt.

 

Perhaps that was why Luhan kissed him back.

 

*

 

Time passed, and as it did, Xiumin and Luhan grew closer and closer. When the two parted at the end of that night, neither wanted to say goodbye, and Xiumin easily attained Luhan's number. Safe to say, it didn't take long for Xiumin to make that first call.

 

They met on various occasions, but never did they

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter