Chapter 1

We're All Going To Struggle

Hakyeon freaked. Literally. He was in the hospital, staring hard at a piece of paper which stated whether he’s an alpha, beta, or omega. He’s a beta, and in just about a second he saw that, he let out a rather ugly strangled scream. That got him a few stink faces but he didn’t really care. Who would? He was pretty much in for some more complaining, but stopped anyway because he figured that maybe, because Jaehwan’s a beta (called him right after he saw the result, knowing well Jaehwan’s the only one who would answer his calls immediately), the others would probably be beta or maybe omega? He wasn’t really sure about his friends. None of them showed strong dominant or submissive nature. So… maybe they’re all beta? 

Hakyeon complained anyway. He met Jaehwan at the hospital’s entrance, it turned out that the younger had went to the hospital to get his status checked too, and in the end, he ranted about all his displeasure to Jaehwan. Hakyeon said a lot of things. Mostly about ‘why is he not an alpha because he totally deserves it.’ In the 6 membered and so-called-pack, Hakyeon had been assuming that he’s “somehow” the leader, because the younger ones followed him, and amazingly enough listened to him. They had been living together for a few years. Started from high school and they’re all still living together even after Hakyeon and Taekwoon graduated and are ready to get a job. No one really admitted loudly, but they know that they found comfort in each other. So they stayed together.

Hakyeon was really glad that he didn’t have to figure his rank ‘traditionally’. That would’ve been bad, he mostly thought. A lot of his older friends, had to figure their rank by instinct. Hakyeon hated that. 

The traditional way, as they all call it, involved a lot of smelling, fights, even ual . Hakyeon thought those things are very… unmannered and animal like. Also because, not everyone is okay with things like that, and it doesn’t always work.

Hakyeon may or may not managed to get a panic attack after he heard news about his Ryeowook hyung getting severely injured in a gang somewhere downtown because apparently, he was in heat and some jack- alphas thought that no pretty omega like him should be wandering around alone. Ryeowook hadn’t even known that he was an omega. Even though it explained they way a few people had been behaving around Ryeowook and how many of them decided to buy him presents (courting an omega properly that is). But anyway, scientists figured that blood test would do the task. 

Hakyeon talked all way to the house they were living in. Ignoring the weird feeling he’d been having since morning. When they arrived, Hakyeon stopped short in front of the door. He felt the alpha presence almost immediately, and felt like crying because the feeling was overwhelmingly strong. Hakyeon glanced at Jaehwan, and saw the exact moment when the younger gulped nervously. He tapped the younger’s shoulder, whispering a quiet ‘Just relax, it’s probably Taekwoon.’ and twisted the door knob open. Hakyeon grimaced at the aura, it was coming in like waves and he swore he could feel himself shying away as he unconsciously took a step back. 

Hakyeon braced himself and walked inside, expecting the ‘alpha’ to be lounging in the living room. Instead, he spotted a tuft of black hair behind the couch. He approached the couch, peeking at the face, realising it was Hongbin all along. 

“Hongbin, you okay?” he asked as he laid down on the couch.

Hongbin shook his head at the question, groaning into his hands, “No… I’m not okay…” Jaehwan sat and scooted closer to Hongbin, “Is this about the alpha?” he asked. Hongbin groaned once more,

“Hyung, there are two of them. Oh god, two! This is stressing me out, we’re going to be totally manhandled by them.” and as soon as Hongbin said that, Hakyeon eyes widened, “Two?” Hakyeon pushed himself off the couch and ran to the second floor. Sure enough, the scents and aura only got stronger. 

Hakyeon grimaced as he opened the first door he saw. There, he found them. The two alphas whose smell wrecked Hongbin. He cleared his throat, and the older one looked up from his phone, still busy chewing a granola bars. The younger alpha was still curled under a blanket, snoring his life away. 

“Taekwoon. Hi.” Hakyeon said, breaking the awkward silence he himself created. Taekwoon nodded and looked back to his phone. Hakyeon cleared his throat once again before he talked, “Taekwoon I’m sorry if I’m bothering you, but-“ “You are. What is it.” Hakyeon sighed, “Can you please wake Wonshik up, because we need to have a ‘family’ discussion. Taekwoon grunted, “That’s the third time this month. What the hell, did Jaehwan by any chance ruined his friend’s drawing again?” Taekwoon complained, but got up anyway and made his way to Wonshik. “GOD HYUNG THAT WAS ONE TIME!” Jaehwan yelled, he’d been there for a few seconds - bringing Hongbin who was in a slight mental breakdown - before Taekwoon made the accusation. 

Taekwoon rolled his eyes, “Then what is it?” he asked as he forced Wonshik to stand up. Wonshik who finally opened his eyes gave a little wave to Hakyeon direction before wriggling to get out of Taekwoon’s hold. After successfully making Wonshik sit up on the bed, Hongbin and Jaewhan entered the room, hesitantly standing by the door. Hakyeon went to sit in between the two alphas, mildly uncomfortable (so unlike himself) but sat down anyway.

“So… you guys took the ABO test right?” Hakyeon asked. Wonshik nodded slowly, “I did. I think I did… I went with Hongbin last week.” Hakyeon nodded, “Good. So you know you’re an alpha right?” and Wonshik nodded. Hakyeon spun to Taekwoon’s direction, “You?” Taekwoon shook his head, “Not yet. I was planning to go with Hyuk next week.”

“Hm. Okay. Taekwoon you’re an alpha, I can smell it, Jaehwan and I could feel it even from outside. It shouldn’t be too strong, but maybe because there are two of alphas so it kinds of… intensified? I don’t know for sure about that but I’m positive you’re an alpha.” Hakyeon said. Taekwoon stared at him, long and hard. “…So?”  Hakyeon groaned, “Ugh! Taekwoon please, all three of us are betas and this - Hakyeon gestured to Wonshik and Taekwoon - is pressuring us!” Taekwoon still stared at him weirdly, “So what do you want me to do?” “What? Taekwoon, I, ugh, this is stressing me out…” 

Hakyeon took a deep breath, “Okay. Okay. The worst thing that could’ve ever happen is for Sanghyuk to be an omega. So, I’ll take him to the hospital tomorrow, and let’s hope that he’s beta.” Hakyeon fanned himself, “Hyung, what’s the deal with omega?” Wonshik suddenly asked. Hakyeon glanced at Taekwoon, who turned out to be equally clueless, “Uh… that doesn’t matter. What matters, alphas sometimes can’t control their hormones around omegas. Plus, unmated alphas tend to lose control when they’re near omegas and in the worst case scenario, they’ll go into a rut. I don’t want that.” Wonshik scoffed, “Hyung, please, I have self-control.”

Hakyeon gave him a glare, “Yes Wonshik, I know you and Taekwoon have great self-controls. But didn’t you remember the pills the government published about 1 year ago? That pills are supposed to be eaten by the whole nation, which I’m sure everyone in this household have had them already. Do you even know what they’re for?” Even Jaehwan and Hongbin shook their heads. “Do any of you even read the newspaper? Why the do you think I subscribed to it? Let it be some ing wrappers?” Hakyeon muttered under his breath. “The Pills are supposed to intensify our sense of smell, and our own scents. But the effects are not immediate, it’s really based on each person, some people took 6 months for the pills to work, some 2 years, etc.” Hakyeon stood up, “And apparently, omegas’ scents can stir something in you, alphas, making your hormones and needs at the moment uncontrollable.”

“That’s it?” Taekwoon raised his eyebrows. Hakyeon huffed in annoyance, “That’s it. Seeing how lightly you guys are taking this situation, I expect no uncontrollable behaviours and pups to be taken home.” Wonshik stood up, “Hyung, relax. We’re good.” Jaehwan turned to get out of the room, “As long as there’s no omega in heat they’re probably be okay.” 

Hongbin followed Jaehwan to get out of the room, wanting to get away from the alphas as soon as possible because he was still not used to the strong scents. Hongbin walked into the kitchen, trying to be a good dongsaeng he is, he dug the fridge in search of Hakyeon’s banana milk. As soon as he found it, he went to search for Hakyeon. But as he was about to go upstairs, he stopped. His eyes widened in realisation, almost the same time he heard a loud bang from upstairs. “.”

Meanwhile upstairs, Hakyeon was still massaging his temple when he smelled something, the smell was sweet in a way, and it smelled warm. Hakyeon sniffed the air for good measure, hoping that it was only his imagination. He looked at the two alphas, and both looked distracted. Jaehwan suddenly rushed into the room, “Hyung do you smell that?!” Hakyeon nodded, panic starting to show in his eyes. Jaehwan scooted closer to Wonshik, and Hakyeon, seeing his movements, followed suit as he inched closer to Taekwoon. When they heard Hongbin cursing and the front door opened both alphas went stiff. Hakyeon and Jaehwan stared at them with dread in their stomach.

Taekwoon was the first to jump, eyes red as he gasped. Fortunately Hakyeon was quick on his feet and immediately tackled Taekwoon down by throwing his body onto the alpha. Jaehwan, a second after Wonsik’s eyes turned red, pushed him down onto the floor, sitting on his stomach as he pinned both of the younger’s arms down. “Hongbin! Lock him in the guest room!!!” Hakyeon yelled when Taekwoon easily shoved Hakyeon off of him.

Hongbin ran to the front door, and he found Sanghyuk who was red faced and panting clinging onto the door. Hongbin ducked under his arm and immediately circled his arms around the younger’s waist. Hongbin could feel him shaking, and they tripped a few times, because the younger’s knees were buckling underneath his tall frame. Sanghyuk dropped his head onto Hongbin’s shoulder, “Hyung, I don’t feel well…” he whispered. Hongbin his waist, still trying his best to drag Sanghyuk into the guest’s room, “I know Hyuk-ah, I know.” 

After he managed to enter the guest room and laid Sanghyuk down on the bed, he heard Hakyeon’s warning. Hongbin shuffled to close the door, right before he closed the door he saw feet running down the stairs. Hongbin locked the door, and it was silent for a solid three seconds, before the door received a big blow. Hongbin jumped from shock, but leaned onto the door. “Hongbin open the door!” Taekwoon bellowed from outside, still banging on the door. Hong bin leaned more to the door, somehow afraid that the door will crumble. 

Hongbin heard other pairs of feet outside the door, and there was shuffles and grunts, but after that it was silent. When Hongbin deemed it was safe, he went to Sanghyuk side. Sanghyuk was feverish, with red blotches all over his usually pale body, and he was shaking. Hongbin held the younger’s hand, only to pull back almost immediately because Sanghyuk’s temperature was so high. “HYUNG WHAT THE SHOULD I DO NOW?!” Hongbin yelled. 

“It’s his first heat, Hongbin-ah!” came the muffled reply from Hakyeon, and Hongbin groaned, “I noticed that hyung!” Hyuk suddenly moaned, “Ugh, hyung I don’t feel well… Why is it so hot in this room, oh god hyung I’m nauseous, I think I’m going too barf…” Sanghyuk slurred, Hongbin immediately moved closer to Sanghyuk, “Hyuk-ah, listen to me, hey, look at me,” Hyuk’s eyes flickered to the older’s, and almost immediately lost his focus. 

 

Outside, Taekwoon was forced to take deep, deep breath. Wonshik was leaning heavily to the wall next to him, eyes boring into Hakyeon’s face, who was currently shielding the door with all his might. Wonshik pushed himself off the wall and sniffed, once, “Hyung I-“ “No. I’m not letting you, nor him, enter the goddamn room.” Hakyeon cut him off. Taekwoon groaned, loud and clearly annoyed, eyes still flickering back and forth from red to dark-brown, “Hakyeon, he’s in heat! His very first ing heat! He needs an alpha!” Hakyeon shook his head, “ off Taekwoon.”

Taekwoon growled lowly, “Hakyeon, I’m being serious.” Even though he was mildly terrified, Hakyeon answered back with more might, “And I am too. I’m not letting you in!” right after Hakyeon said that, a moan was heard from the room, along with Hongbin’s voice who was sputtering profanities. At the sound, Wonshik whined and threw himself to Jaehwan who was - so unlike himself - standing quitely behind Taekwoon, “Hakyeon-hyung is so mean…” he said as he wriggled uncomfortably, because wether he’d like to admit it or not, everyone can see his under his sweatpants. 

Taekwoon took a deep breath, “Hakyeon, he’s my omega-,” “No. He is OUR omega, and I’m not letting any of you help him with his heat when you both barely know a thing.” Taekwoon stared at Hakyeon, long and hard, “Hakyeon I know what I’m doing. And that includes helping an omega I’m pulled into. You shouldn’t be holding me and Wonshik back.” 

Enraged, Hakyeon pushed Taekwoon who had got into Hakyeon’s space, staring him down despite his slightly shorter frame, “And I’m trying to protect him! It’s his heat, so what, all of this,” Hakyeon gestured to Wonshik and Taekwoon, “It’s the hormones! When his heat is done, there’s chance he’d regret about the connection he made! And I don’t want that to happen to Sanghyuk!” 

After the outburst, it was silent. Hakyeon breathing hard, frustation swimming in his eyes. Taekwoon sighed and rubbed his temple, “Okay. I’m sorry. But we can’t let him be Hakyeon, he’s in pain. And with Wonshik and me near him, it’s not going to help. At least let us satisfy him so that he won’t need to deal with the pain all week. Just let us do something about it okay?” Taekwoon glanced to the door after he heard another moan after the nth time. Taekwoon could hear Wonshik breathing hard behind him, and he clenched and unclenched his hands, trying hard to control his breathing as he felt his growing. 

The moan was sinful, and Sanghyuk smelt so unbelievably sweet and warm. Taekwoon held his gaze against Hakyeon’s, silently pleading from his eyes. Behind him Wonshik was giving Hakyeon a pout, begging, for Hakyeon to let them in. 

Hakyeon cleared his throat, “Guys I still don’t think this is right-“ “Hakyeon hyung!” came the yell from inside the room, “Hyung what should I do? I tried to soothe him, but he still said he felt sick. Sanghyuk’s slurring hyung, he’s starting to get in and out of conscious.” After Hongbin obvious panic update, Hakyeon grew anxious. Because he knew, deep in his heart that he shouldn’t be breaking an omega in need from an alpha, or in this case, alphas. Hakyeon looked back to Taekwoon and Wonshik, both silent, but pleading.

Hakyeon let out a loud groan,

 

 

 

“.”