Guardian Angel

The Sun and The Moon

There it was again. 

The girl (which didn't look much older than Mari herself) who wore the silver and light blue gown was standing there, crying. Her long white hair draped over one of her shoulders while the other was bare. She stood in the middle of a large room inside a...palace. Mari slowly approached her, but the closer she walked, the more the girl changed. She went from a cold, icy girl to a warm, bright...boy (who also looked Mari's age). He kept looking down, not daring to make eye contact with Mari. But then again, he never did. "W-Who are you?" Mari finally asked. The boy in the bright orange and red toga simply shook his head, still looking at his feet. It was as if he was...scared? 

Slowly, he started to change too, the same way that the girl had. This was new. Mari had never made it this far in...whatever this was. The boy started to seperate, as disturbing as it sounds. The girl that Mari had seen earlier suddenly came out of his back as he turned to his side. Now the girl and boy were back to back, both of their heads hanging low. Slowly, they started walking away from each other. "What's going on?" Mari asked both of them, but got no response.

Suddenly, everything went black.

 

Mari jolted up in her bed, sweating and panting. She looked around her sunlit room before she calmed her pacing heart. It wasn't the first time she had had this dream, but it was the farthest she's ever gotten. "Mari! Get dressed or you'll be late!" She heard her mother call from the kitchen. She sighed before she swung her legs over the side of her bed. Before she knew it, she was already in the bathroom, taking her morning shower. Something wasn't right today, but Mari couldn't put her finger on it. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Mari looked out the window during her first period class. It was dark and gloomy...and cold. Which seemed odd to her, considering that it was perfectly fine yesterday. She couldn't help but get lost in the dark grey sky and the clouds that moved at an incredibly slow pace.

"Miss Lee, would you mind please paying attention in my class? If I'm wasting your time, don't waste mine and leave my classroom." Her teacher, Mr. Park, said. "S-Sorry. I'll pay attention from now on." She said and made a small bow of her head. Her teacher sighed before turning around and continuing his lesson. She put her head down and took down her notes, still not able to focus. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

"Why haven't you just revealed yourself to her?" Eros, or Youngjae (which was his human name), asked Daehyun. They were currently looking through the window and into Mari's first period class.

"Because, it's not the right time right now. Plus, I'm going to tell her who I am when she comes home. She just needs to be a little more patient." He replied, turning around to look at Youngjae. He sighed and shook his head before walking out onto the school's courtyard. "Where are you going?!" Daehyun asked and followed quickly behind. "I sense something troublesome..." He muttered as he looked around. Suddenly, his face went flat as he spotted something in the differences. "And something stupid." He sighed as he walked over to a bench with a fighting couple. Behind it was their close friend, Ares, also known as Yongguk.

"Yongguk! What are you doing?!" Youngjae shouted as he approached him. Yongguk was almost doubled over in laughter. "Humans are so fun to play with." He smiled. Youngjae rolled his eyes. "You know that's wrong." He said as he snapped his fingers. Now the couple was apologizing and hugging each other. "You're no fun." Yongguk complained as he started walking away. Daehyun and Youngjae followed quickly behind. 

"Meanwhile, Zelos and Harpocrates are nowhere to be found either." Daehyun said. Yongguk chuckled. "Probably off causing trouble." He said. "Well they did learn from the best." Youngjae snapped. "Hey, don't hate the player, hate the game." Yongguk replied. "That! That! UGH! You make me so frustrated sometimes! ME! The god of love!" Youngjae shouted. Daehyun laughed and put a hand on his shoulder. "Calm down! You know he's just messing with you." He smiled.

"There you two are! Where have you been?" Yongguk asked as Zelos (aka Zelo) and Harpocrates (aka Jongup) walked up to them, but said nothing. "Umm, hello? Earth to Zelo?" Yongguk asked. It wasn't unusual for Jongup not to speak, for he was the god of silence, but Zelo on the other hand...

Jongup sighed and waved his hand in a grabbing motion. "Finally! Mister I-don't-talk over here took away my speaking ability! Just for causing jealousy among two best friends!" He said, wide eyed. "I told you it was fun to mess with humans." Yongguk said while eyeing Youngjae. Youngjae simply rolled his eyes and crossed his arms in return. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Mari sat at her usual lunch table, by the window, eating alone. It wasn't that she didn't have friends, they just sat with other people and Mari was fine with it. She sat there looking around at everyone's smiling faces until something different caught her eye. New students? Mari thought as she saw three new faces. She kept staring at them until they finally saw her, but as soon as they did, they started running away. Mari quickly stood up and followed them, forgetting her lunch at the table. She followed them quickly until she reached the hallway where they seemed to disappear.  

Mari looked around the hallway, but she just couldn't find them. She began to walk throughout the hallway before the bell rang, signaling the end of lunch. Sighing, she went along with the crowd of teenagers around her to her next class.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

"That was the perfect opportunity! You could've told her who you were just then!" Yongguk shouted at Daehyun. He sighed, knowing that he could have done something to show Mari who he really was, but instead, ran away. "Don't blame him...he said that when she comes home from school, he will tell her. Just give it time." Youngjae spoke softly. Yongguk rolled his eyes. "You make me sick, cupid." Yongguk spat. "Join the club. And I told you not to call me that!" Youngjae responded. Soon, they were in a full-blown argument. But that's just what Ares does. Whether it's a small disagreement or if it's the beginning of World War II, Yongguk loves fighting. 

Daehyun, however, was too busy in his own thoughts to acknowledge this petty argument that they were having. How was he going to tell Mari who he was? Was she even going to accept him? Was she even going to believe that he exists? What if she calls the cops on him? 

He cringed at the thought. He couldn't handle the second-hand embarrassment upon the cops arriving and seeing nothing but a crazy girl claiming that there was a weird guy in her room. And yet, it was still a possibility...

"What do you think Daehyun?" Yongguk asked, snapping him out of his thoughts. "Huh?" He asked wide-eyed. "This idiot over here thinks that if you stand out in the sun too long, you'll shrivel up and die." Youngjae said. "It's true! I saw it happen to my grandfather!" He stated. "Your a descendent of a god! We're immortal! How does that even happen?!' Youngjae asked. 

"You guys are idiots." Daehyun muttered before continuing on without them, leaving them dumbfounded. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Mari sighed as she threw her bag on her bedroom floor and kicked off her shoes. She was lucky that she didn't have any homework tonight. Plopping on her bed, she closed her eyes and let out a sigh of relief. Until about two seconds later when she sprung up from her bed, wide-eyed and alert. She didn't remember a creepy guy in her room when she left for school this morning. 

"Hiya!" Daehyun said with a smile. She screamed as she picked up her lamp and began swinging at him. "Woah, woah! Hey! Watch it! OW!" He shouted as she struck his back. "Who are you and why are you in my bedroom!?" She shouted as he lay on the floor, defenseless. "M-My name is Daehyun! I'm your guardian angel." He said before she could hit him again. "My what?!" She asked in disbelief before swinging the lamp again. "No! Wait stop! I can prove it!" He said as he held his hand up. Mari stopped swinging and stared at him. "Fine." She muttered and helped him up. "Prove it." 

"If I wasn't your guardian angel, could I do this?" He asked as he slowly floated in the air. Mari couldn't believe her eyes. He was floating. He was floating! "I-If you're an angel...where are your wings?" She asked. "Oh, that's a typical stereotype. We actually don't have wings, we're just able to fly on our own." He replied as he planted his feet back on the ground. "Well, why are you here?" She asked as she placed the lamp down. 

"About that...it's a long story." He said as he sat down on her bed. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Yay! First chapter is up! I'm so happy I finally got this story started. I hope you enjoyed! Thanks!