206 Miles

206 Miles

Jia had finished her 5 days of campus field trip. Most of the students had came back yesterday with the committee. Even so, there were also not just a few of the students who took a one-day extend, and Jia was also included in the latter. It wasn't that she wanted to go shopping or have a date with boyfriend –like what others do. It was because she had to visit her relatives in there as her mom requested. And today is her 6th day in Busan, the day that she was finally able to come back home. She didn't have to stay for long time at her aunt's and could have her own time. Moreover, her cousin Chanyeol offered her a ride because he wanted to go somewhere too.

 

"So... Where are we going, princess?" She cringed at the endearment Chanyeol gave. They had been close to each other since they were toddlers, and always played together back then when Jia and her family still lived in Busan. And Chanyeol always gives so many nicknames, even for the people he knew. It depends on his mood. Now she had no idea why he chose princess of all the names.

"I don't know... It's been a long time since the last time I came here, isn't it?"

"Yeah, I wonder if maybe Seoul is way better than here, or maybe there are plenty of handsome princes there so you never came back." He knew Jia was working so hard on her campus life that she barely had free time, travelling here and there, but he just wanted to . She whacked his head in return.

"Ouch! Why did you hit me? My precious head won't be able to produce any good music if you keep doing that!"

"Oh really? Oh my... what should I do...?” She replied dramatically and made a face on him. "Then enough of teasing me, and just start the car, please, Park Chanyeol? Hm?"

"Okay okay! Got it. Let's just go to my studio first, the kids are waiting for me, and then I'll take you somewhere refreshing."

"Thanks. And... don’t you dare to bring up anything about boyfriends, dating, or whatsoever. I'm not in the mood for that kind of topics!" she folded her hands, and shut her eyes close.

"Ay-ay captain!" he quickly answered her.

 

After Chanyeol finished his stuff on the studio, he finally took Jia to go around the city, had some street foods and ice cream, even dropped at the beach for a while. When it was almost in the evening, they decided to stop by at a coffee shop near the train station.

"My treats!" she put a cup of caramel macchiato and a piece of chocolate cake in front of him. "Thanks for accompanying me this whole day, Channie."

"Eyyy. No need to do that. You're being too sweet. I'm getting suspicious here, what happened?"

"Haha. Nothing. My mood is just getting much better thanks to you. You know, these whole things happened on past few months are just little bit tough for me. Especially...."

"Hey," he cut his cousin's words right away and held her hand who was sitting in front of him. "I'm sorry for you, Ji. But please don't be sad anymore. Cheer up, or maybe you can look for mates, uh, I mean boyfriend."

 

She just bitterly smiled hearing what her cousin suggested. "I'm not a player like you, idiot."

"Nope. Nu-uh. I'm not a player, it's just girls really love to stick around me, I don't even know why." He shrugged acting so innocent, earning soft giggles from her. "Anyway, I haven't heard about that friend of yours. How is he doing?"

"Huh? Which friend?"

"That one that you go with Jongin and Suzy at my show case 2 years ago. Errrr, I forgot his name.. Lu... Lu.. what?"

"Luhan?"

"Yes!! Him!"

Luhan. Her heart clenched hearing that name. It had been so long. "Uh? Why did he suddenly popped out in your mind?"

"I don't know. I just suddenly remembered him as we got into this topic. He seemed closed with you back then. I even surprised when you told me you were dating that Sehun guy out of nowhere."

"Nah. We were just friends you know. Nothing special. I don't even like him more than friends." Pffft. Really Jia?

 

But Chanyeol knew his cousin so well, and he caught a glimpse like she was hiding something, but he didn't want to dig it deeper and make her sad again, so he just passed it and replied "Oh.. Just, tell him I say hi if you meet him. And, uh, I think he could be featured on my music video!" He grinned, surprised at how great his own sudden thought that he just randomly said.

"You wish, Chanyeol! It's no way possible." She mischievously threw a scrunched tissue at him. "But yeah, I'll try to tell him when I see him." Which I also don't know when will it happen actually…

 

Chanyeol then took Jia inside the station, and had their farewell there.

She looked at her watch, "Chanyeol, I think I should go now. I'd better wait inside, right? I don't want to extend one more day here."

"You hate your cousin that much, huh?"

"Nooo, I mean, you know I have a class tomorrow, right? I even haven't finished this field trip report yet." She pouted.

Chanyeol on the other side couln't stand to squish her cheek when he saw his cousin cutely pouted. "Ow come here, baby. I'm gonna miss you so much!" He hugged her and ruffled her hair.

"You ruined my hair!" she protested, but he just grinned and stuck out his tongue.

"Tell me if you have safely arrived at Seoul. And also tell me if you finally find your soul mate!" he blew a goodbye kiss to her from afar while walking backward to his car.

"Oh my silly cousin. Gonna miss you too Channie." Jia smiled and turned her heels toward the platform.

 

 

The cool air outside brushed her face. Many people passing by at the platform made it even harder for her to move and find the location printed on the ticket in her hand. "Why there are so many people here? Are they all going on vacation? It's not even weekend yet." she slightly grumbled as she finally made her way into the train. Hers was in the 6th coach. The coaches, each, consisted of two lines with rows and rows of seats. Each row had 4 seats with a center corridor separated them –2 seats on the left, 2 on the right. The odd-number rows were positioned backward, face to face with the even.

The atmosphere inside was different from the outside that looked suffocated. It felt more peace and calm because there were still not many people yet inside the coach. She took a peek again at the ticket, then scanned whole coach looking for her seat; 8A. It was easy for her to spot her seat right away since there were only 4 or 5 people inside. She grinned, feeling pleased to know that she got her favorite spot.

She hummed the song that she was listening to while walking towards the 8th row, and smiled, "Oh, thanks God I got the window seat." She was sincerely grateful to have that spot, remembered she had to stay there for next 5-6 hours long.

 

But her smile completely dropped when she arrived at her seat and looked who was sitting opposite her seat and already sleeping safe and soundly there.

Luhan? She really had no idea this was just a simply coincidence, fate, or what. It's just like God  just answered her secret pray back then.

Oh God, no. Thank’s canceled. I’m taking it back! Why suddenly now –all of these times? And why he has to be sit in front of me all of the seats in the train?

Her heart was beating fast –either nervous or maybe a slight of excitement, she didn’t even know. She tried to put her luggage in to the cabin as quiet as she could so that he wouldn't be awaken.

 

Gosh! Stay calm Jia. It's just him. What would you expect huh? Breathe!

That was what her mind ordered her. But her body wouldn't get along. She accidentally slipped her hand when she just finished put her luggage on the cabin, made the earphone she had been wearing unplugged and the music was playing on loudspeaker mode.

Damn damn damn!

Perhaps that was a sign from God because she was carelessly being ungrateful all of a sudden. Maybe, she tought. Thankfully there were only few pairs of eyes staring at her, but that wasn’t the real matter for her. It was him who was slightly awake because of the loud noise she just made.

Urgh! Why am I so stupid? Please don’t let him wake up, please, please, please. She cursed mentally. She knew sooner or later he would be awake, but she was just not prepared it for now. She kept her head down as she took her seat and wished the guy in front of her wouldn't recognize her.

But she was wrong. He was fully awake now surprised at who was sitting across him. "J-Jia...?" He stuttered.

 

Damn it!

Of course it was nearly impossible for him to not recognize her. His deer eyes blankly stared at her - still didn't believe it was really her sitting in front of him. His mind automatically rewind back to one year ago.

"H-hi Lu...." she said with a simple smile tugged on her lips. They both stuttered at their first word after a very long time. Only God knew how they hearts were thumping like crazy as it was going to pop out.

Then silence covered them for a short while and that was surely awkward. They didn't even blink. Both were happy to meet again. But there was other tiny bitsy unexplainable part of them bothering inside. Their mind kept recalling to the past.

 

Then Luhan eventually being the first one awakened from his thought, tried to break the ice between them. "Was that loud music from yours?" He pointed to her phone with the earphone twined around it.

She blushed red, embarrassed at her clumsiness got caught by him.

He smirked. "Indeed. Hahaa. Thanks for waking me up!" He thanked her, ironically sounded a little bit annoyed. But that's just kidding, in fact he was more than happy to be awake knowing she would be here for the rest of 6 hours.

But she took it seriously and felt really guilty. "S-sorry... I didn't mean to..." she finally apologized.

"Nah, kidding, Ji." He put his angelic smile at her, made her heart skipped a beat. So typical of Luhan.

 

“Anyway, how come you happen to sit here, in front of me, of all the seats?” Luhan asked her curiously, yet didn’t want Jia to see it, so he held his pride by quickly adding, “Perhaps you wanna sit near me?” He got a glare from her.

“That's just what I wanna ask you!" she folded her hand. "Maybe you are the one who wanna sit near me? Miss me much, perhaps?" Ups. Babo. Why I even said that?

Luhan remained for a second. Yeah, I miss you Jia. Then he let out a small laughed. "How come I know you would sit here. I bought the tickets few weeks ago, even before we go field trip."

"Then same here. My aunt bought me that, she didn't even ask me anything." She defended herself too.

 

“So, as I see, you have extended too. What were you doing? Shopping?”

“No. You know I’m not that type of girl.”

Yeah, I know that too well.

“I visited my relatives here, and I also went around the city with Chanyeol. You still remember him?”

“Oh, your cousin? Yeah, of course! How has he been doing by the way?”

“He’s good. He even told me to tell you he said hi if I meet you."

"Suddenly? I'm surprised he's still remember me. Didn't you talked about me?"

"You wish, Lulu." She smirked. "No, he was just suddenly asking about you and wondering if you could be the model on his music video."

"Really? He really wants that?" He clasped his hand together delightfully. "That would be grr-"

 

"JIAAAAA~~" His words were cut by girls shouting voice, made Jia turned her head to the corridor side. He saw two familiar girls run toward their seats while waving their hands. Turned out they were Jia's friend in the same major as hers, Soyeon and Daseul.

Jia waved her hand back to them. Then she realized the coach were almost full already. It felt like time flied so fast when she's with Luhan.

 

"Hey Ji! You're also in the row 8?"

"As you see~ You too? How about Daseul then?"

"Yes, I'm on 8B, and hers is 7B which I guess it's.... here?" Soyeon pointed to the seat beside Luhan.

"So, four of us are going to be seat-mate then!" she chirped. "Come here guys. Oh! I almost forget. Let me introduce you my friend, Luhan."

Luhan waved his hand, "Hello, I'm Luhan. Nice too meet you, beautiful ladies." he bowed.

Jia just shook her head seeing Luhan's attitude that made both girls blushed. "Hi, I'm Daseul," "and I'm Soyeon. Nice to meet you." They shyly introduced their selves.

"Have your seat girls." Luhan invited.

 

A few moments after the girls seat, the announcement speaker greeted the passengers and informed that the train would be depart soon in a minute. Soyeon and Daseul were busy with their own gadget while Jia started yawning, felt so sleepy and tired.

"Guys, I think I'm gonna sleep first."

"Yeah you should, you look so tired Jia." Luhan looked at her in concerned. The other two also nodded, let her have some rest.

"Okay then. Bye~" Jia said half asleep.

 

She fell asleep right after that. There was just Luhan left alone drowned in his own mind, while the two other girls were busy chatting and playing with their phone. He plugged the earphone, turned the volume up, and then leaned his head to the window, enjoying the scenery outside. Let his memories rewind back to the past, driving him to the dream land.

 

Half an hour already passed. Jia was still sleeping safe and soundly in her seat, and Luhan was just fell asleep for a few minutes but then he woke up right away because someone poked him.

He softly groaned as his sleep was disturbed. "Anything's wrong, Daseul?"

"Luhan.. Sorry to wake you up, but, please tell Jia we're moving to the other coach. Apparently I can't stand sitting backwards like this. Uhm... I kinda have carsick."

"Why don't you change your sit with Soyeon? Or maybe Jia? You can wake her up."

"Soyeon also can't sit on the odd row, and we don't want to wake Jia up. We've tried actually but she won't even budge. So I just let her, maybe she's too tired."

"You're right. Just.. let her sleep. Have you found any available seat by the way?"

"Yeah, I was looking for it when you both were still sleeping. And thank goodness there are 2 even-number rows available in 8th coach." Daseul explained.

"We'll get going now, okay? I leave Jia to you, take care of her." Soyeon mischievously added.

"Don't worry~ Bye girls!" he winked at them.

 

As Daseul and Soyeon left, Luhan looked at the girl in front of him who haven't moved even an inch since the train departed. Now, it's just us..

 

One hour had passed. Jia was finally awake. She opened her eyes and yawned, regaining her consciousness back, then suddenly squealed. Turned out, Luhan had put his head close to Jia which was surprising, more like shocking, her.

He laughed seeing her reaction. "Wake up sleepy-head!"

"Since when have you been sitting here?! Oh, you must be doing something or made fun of me when I was sleeping! Where are the girls by the way??" She bombarded him with questions.

"Whoa whoa, easy there! Which one should I answer first?"

She just hissed urging him to answer.

"Okay, okay. Here, Soyeon and Daseul already left to the other coach because Daseul couldn't stand sitting backwards. They woke you up, but look who's sleeping like a bear hibernating, so they just let you sleep and asked me to tell you when you wake up."

She faced down, embarrassed for the 2nd time in front of him today.

"And I, I just moved here to wake you up, because it's already dinner time. But I guess your tummy is already synchronized with your eyes. You're already awake even before I woke you up." But he was lying at the latter. He wasn't just moved there, but already did it since Daseul and Soyeon moved. He even let her head rest at his shoulder when she moved her position in her sleep, and he liked it. He missed it.

"How long I've been sleeping then?"

"Hmm.. around one and a half hour I think. Now, go wash your face, and then let's get our dinner. You must be hungry." "And also I have something to tell you." He added with a serious tone.

 

 

At the dining coach when they were waiting for their food, Baekhyun suddenly came joining them. This time was Luhan's friend from the same faculty as his, but Jia also kind of knew him.

"Mind if I sit here?" Baekhyun greeted them first.

Luhan turned his head to where the voice came, and gladly greeted him back. "Hey Baekhyun! You're extending too?" They high-fived as they met.

"Yepp. Shopping, you know.." he grinned sheepishly. "Oh, and you are... Jia, right?"

"Yes, hello Baekhyun." She greeted him with smile.

"Oh, you guys know each other?"

"Yeah, kind of.. We were in the same group back then at the orientation."

Luhan just simply replied with "Ooh.." as the food finally came. Both Jia and Luhan knew they had something to talk, but Baekhyun presence made them uncomfortable to talk about it now. This witty-talkative guy Baekhyun then started to talk various topics as they were having dinner. He talked about funny stuff at the field trip, their teacher, the campus events, and all the unnecessarily interesting stuff but those all sounds funny made three of them laughed out loud. Until they didn't realize it as they started to gossip that Luhan is closed to many pretty girls at campus. Jia looked like she was interested and listening to the topic, but there was a little bit of jealousy inside.

 

“So, how about you and Hanna? Do you really like her?” Baekhyun asked Luhan.

Jia was still pretending to listen but her view had differed, there was something else in her eyes… It was suddenly empty.

“Of course I like her!” Luhan replied.

And that answer had convinced her more, everything was too late, her chance had gone. She still hid her feelings very well, tried to find another thing to see. Watching the scenery outside the window was the only thing that she could do. No. Not here. I can’t cry here.

But Luhan felt it all. Anything about Jia, he would always feel it. He knew it more than herself. He looked at her fixedly, knowing that she was hiding something.

“I wonder why recently people gossip about me a lot, when once I was really closed to someone, there wasn’t any gossip about it until now. And you know Baek, if only that person accepted me back then, I really want to get serious with her.”

Dang! Those words could only make Jia stayed still in silence. She felt so stuffy inside her heart. Stupid, she thought.

Baekhyun just shrugged hearing Luhan’s words. He smelled something fishy was happening between those two, so he bid farewell to Jia and Luhan right away. “I’m gonna get back to my seat first then. Chen and Kyungsoo are waiting for me. Bye guys! See you!”

"Okay. We're also going back to our seat then. Say hi to Chen and Kyungsoo from me." Luhan said to Baekhyun.

 

Then Jia and Luhan went back to their seat, with him sat right beside her now.

“What’s wrong, Jia?”

“Huh? Nothing’s wrong.”

“You looked gloomy all of the sudden. You were laughing with me and Baekhyun at the dining coach though.”

“Oh, nothing. Maybe I just feel a little bit tired.”

“No. I know you’re hiding something Jia. Can you just please let it out that thought inside you mind?”

“What thought, Lu?”

“Jia, you always hide your feelings well, you know, since times ago.” He murmured.

 

They both remained silent. It felt so stifled. Jia knew this was her last chance to ask and say it.

 

“Can I ask you something?”

He turned his head to the left to look her in the eyes, but still didn’t say anything. He knew what she would ask. He only waited in silence, wondering if she had enough courage to ask it.

“May I know who that person is?” That was it, she finally said it. Even when she thought she might, just might be, perhaps already knew what was the answer, it still made her nervous. Moreover, Luhan just still remained silent with his unreadable expression.

 

A little more silence, then he answered her, with his rare serious expression, stern gaze, but still softly, "There is always this one person whom I like and care so much since times ago, no matter how much I've tried, I just do.” He smiled then turned his head away from her eyes, couldn’t stand to see those pair of lovely orbs of her.

“....but this person chose another guy and left me. And she looked happy. So I tried to let her go.”

“One thing she should know that I have never loved anyone as much as I love her." He paused a moment, just to continue to say something that made her heart felt like stop beating.

"And that one person is.....you. It's just you. And always you, Jia."

 

She couldn’t hold it anymore and let tears rolled down her cheeks. Oh God... Why? Why it has to be like this. So that’s true it is always him who loves me enough like this, only him who always comes back even though I had left. Why I just realized it now?

“Why are you crying?”

“I just realized you are the one who always sincerely care for me for all this time. You know what I’ve been upset at? Not because I broke up with Sehun. I have just realized one thing, I have missed someone precious for being with a wrong person. I have missed you. But now is different. You’re already with someone now, and that is the most hurtful, Lu.”

“I love you, Jia. But I cannot just let her go for you. Back then, she accepted me even though my heart was still with you. She has been patiently waiting for me until now, and I won’t trifle her away...”

 

Silence…

 

Both felt sorrow. Reality was cruel indeed. They were sitting side by side that night, together enjoyed the rest of their journey, their way back home. They both knew, when arrived at Seoul, they would walk separately toward their own way. Tonight, they just want to be together. Enjoyed the presence of each other. Enjoyed their unfinished story.

 

“Jia, can I ask you one thing?”

“What?”

Without wasting any time, he gently leaned her head on his shoulder.

"I want to protect you tonight" he said as he slowly her long hair down, ended with a kiss on her temple.

 

Jia just could remain silent. She knew that only tonight, on the way home by this train, they could be together. Let me be, just for the last time. They both wished Seoul was way much further than the rest of their journey, wished the train would slow down its pace, and wished this 206 miles would never end.

 

 


A/N:

FINALLY I CAN UPLOAD IT :''''' *literally crying*

I finished my first ever story!

I've been struggling with exams and assignments to finish this story. plus my laptop LCD crashed. :"( And when I finally finished this, the electricity in my area went off so i can't upload it. 

Oh god. can't i just participate smoothly without any heartbreaking obstacles? :"

I hope xoxoayonimous would still accept this. xo

 

Thanks for everyone who subscribed <3 I LOVE YOU GUYS!! And, God bless you!

 

Love,

Shazalleys

_______________

(13/04)  

The deadline has been extended! Oh thanks God, and thank you xoxoayonimous :")

I've edited some errors on the story. Hope it would be better now.

For new subscribers, THANK YOU THANK YOU and THANK YOU <3 that means so much for me.

Please leave a comment after you read this, guys. I kinda need some reviews. hehee.

Once again, Thank you. I'll leave this story in good and just pray miracles would come *crossed fingers* x)

Buhbye!

–Shazalleys