U You

Secret Garden

"My love is U U. When I see you, I keep getting nervous. My everything is U U. I can only see you in my eyes"

U You

"Now to find the anti-derivative or integral of this, you -" A math teacher explained carefully in a senior and junior year calculus class. She showed the step by step procedure of how to attack this question. As expected in math class, half of the students were asleep because they accepted failure and the other half wore clear expressions of confusion on their faces.

"Can anyone explain question 6 to the class?"

Because no one volunteered, the teacher shook her head and looked at her attendance sheet to pick someone.

"Son Naeun."

"Yes?"

" Stand up and answer this question please" the teacher instructed. 

The unlucky student looked down in embarrassment because she knew that she had no idea how to solve the problem.

"U-Uhm..." Naeun stuttered.

"Yes Naeun-ssi?"

"The answer is 1/3(1 + 2sinX)​3/2 + C" answered the student next to Naeun. The girl looked at her savior and sighed in relief because it was her best friend, Jung Eunji.

"That is correct Eunji-ssi. I didn't ask you, but please proceed to explain to the class. Naeun-ssi, you may sit down"

The girl looked at her best friend and shyly smiled as a 'thank you' before sitting down. Meanwhile the latter gave her an eye-smile as a sign of 'you're welcome'. Once the class quieted down, Eunji began to explain the problem and how she came to the right answer.

"That is the answer because the original question was 'cos X( 1 + sinX)1/2dx'. We know that the u-substitute is the (1 + sinX) so we replace it with the letter u, and its derivative is 2cosXdx, which is the du. We're left with cos u1/2dx. The cos becomes cosXdx and that's 1/2 of the du. We bring that out so we have 1/2 multiplied by the integral of u1/2. From there on it's simple. We just find the anti-derivative of u1/2, which is 2/3u​3/2 because we add 1 to the exponent and then multiply the existing coefficient with the reciprocal of the new exponent. We multiple the 1/2 with the 2/3 to get 1/3 and we just put back the u-substitute, (1 + sinX), into the existing integral. And there's our answer. Also, we always need to remember the + C, because the question did not give us the x and y values, so we cannot plug-in to solve for C." the young woman explained clearly and smiled proudly once she finished her explanation. The teacher clapped in response, followed by the class.

Everyone was impressed by her, especially the girl next to her.

"Well done Eunji-ssi. This is why you're one of my brightest students. Okay class, you better study hard or you will most definitely fail your next exam. I'll pass out a sheet with practice questions. You may work with a partner to solve these problems, if you wish. Anything not finished will be homework for the night. Bomi-ssi, please help me pass these papers out."

"Yes ma'am" the girl, Bomi, replied and started helping the teacher.

Naeun looked at her best friend shyly and fidgeted her fingers. The girl knows she needs help and wanted to ask her best friend to be her partner, but she was embarrassed. Suddenly she saw some classmates walk to her table and the girl quickly moved closer to Eunji.

"Eunji-Yah! Can you be my partner! I need help!"

"No way, I was going to ask her!"

"You're already doing well in Calculus! Let Eunji help me!"

The kids argued and Eunji only smiled in response. She turned to her best friend, who was cutely glaring at the people trying to take Eunji away.

"Sorry. I'm working with Naeunnie." Eunji apologized. The other students looked at the pair and walked away dejectedly.

Eunji took the papers from Bomi and smiled at the girl next to her, who was still clinging onto her.

"C'mon Naeunnie. Let's work on this" Eunji says and gives the girl a smile. The latter shyly nodded and let go of her best friend. She sat correctly and the two began to start their work. Well more like Eunji began to help the clueless girl.

"I'm so dumb" Naeun mumbled.

Eunji heard this and quickly frowned.

"No you're not Naeunnie! You're just having trouble! That's all! It's like me in History and English class! We can't be good at every subject you know!" Eunji said to comfort the girl.

Naeun just stared at the girl in response. She looked rather cold, but Eunji knew that was just how the girl was. She knows Naeun is not good at showing her emotions so she just naturally looks aloof, which is why the older didn't feel hurt at all. Instead, Eunji simply gave the girl an eye-smile and gently patted her head.

Flustered by the older girl's gestures, Naeun looked down to hide her blush. Her best friend grinned because she knows Naeun is embarrassed by her.

However, other people didn't understand Naeun the way Eunji did.

From behind her seat, Naeun could hear people gossiping about her as usual.

"I don't understand why someone as nice and sweet as Eunji would be friends with someone like Naeun" one student said.

"I know right. Look at her, she doesn't even act like she's friends with Eunji. It looks more like a nice girl trying to be friends with someone out of the kindness of her heart, but the person is just naturally mean."

"Eunji is really too nice sometimes"

As much as it hurt hearing these words, Naeun stayed quiet. That's all she ever does. The girl is too shy to ever speak up so she just endures whatever rumors get thrown at her. She also knows that if she gets involved, it would just cause more problems for her best friend. Eunji noticed the girl was even quieter than usual so she could tell Naeun was over thinking things just like always.

"Naeunnie. Don't pay attention to them. I know you're not like that." Eunji mumbled and hugged her friend.

Unfortunately for Naeun, her body overreacted from the touch and she ended up pushing Eunji by reflex. It's not like she wanted to act this way, it's just who she was as a person. Jung Eunji is the only person who has ever managed to make her feel safe, but for a while now, she has been getting a weird feeling around the girl. Just a tiny gesture, like a hug, creates a strange feeling in the girl's stomach.

There was a collective gasp from the pairs behind Eunji and Naeun.

"Did you just see that?"

"How could she do that?"

"I thought they were friends. She seems to treat Eunji more like a dog."

Naeun looked down at the ground, ashamed by her own actions. The truth was, she agrees with all the things people say about her. She isn't the friendliest person around. She's not the most interesting. Whereas Eunji is the complete opposite. The younger never understood why Eunji is so nice to her.

Suddenly she heard Eunji turn her chair around.

"Can you please worry about your own work? You're being too distracting for me and Naeun." Eunji politely asked her classmates.

The other students stayed quiet after that and Eunji returned her attention to Naeun.

Eunji noticed that the girl still seemed depressed so she gently held the girl's hand.

"Don't worry Naeunnie. I won't leave you ever. I promised that before and I'll always keep that promise." the girl firmly stated.

Flashback

"Hey! What are you guys doing?!" Eunji shouted as she ran to the group of kids that were standing around a crying girl.

"It's Jung Eunji! Run!!" one of the boys screamed and the rest all scattered.

"Hmph. Buncha cowards" the girl mumbled.

Young Eunji crouched onto the ground to see to the crying child.

"Are you okay?" Eunji asked.

The girl was still sobbing softly so she couldn't respond to Eunji's question. Eunji pouted before an idea popped in her head. Getting off the floor, Eunji quickly sprinted to the nearest store. Meanwhile, the crying girl realized that her savior wasn't there anymore. Like a child lost in the park, the young girl looked at her surroundings and cried again, this time from loneliness.

"Ah you're crying again" a voice commented.

Looking up, the girl saw another child around her age looking at her closely while holding two ice-cream cones.

"Here. This is for you" the girl said and handed her the dessert.

"T-Thank you." young Naeun muttered and ate the ice-cream.

"You're welcome. Let's go sit over there." Eunji said while pointing to the bench.

The two kids made their way to the wooden bench and sat down. Neither of them spoke, but they enjoyed the comfortable silence around them.

"Thank you so much for helping me"

"You're welcome... uh.."

"S-Son Naeun."

"Naeun? That's a pretty name. I'm Jung Eunji" the loud girl introduced herself while taking a big bite of her ice-cream.

​"N-Nice to meet you Eunji." 

"Why were those kids bothering you?"

"They just don't like me. I'm too scared to talk to them. And then when our teacher told us to write out our dream job, I wrote 'doctor'. They all laughed."

"That's all? Hmph. They shouldn't bother you. And I think it's really cool that you want to be a doctor!"

"I'm used to it..." Naeun shrugged.

"You shouldn't be though. It's not right!"

"B-But... it's not like I can do much about it anyway"

Eunji frowned and pulled the girl closer.

"How about this then, if anyone ever bothers you, just tell me! I will teach them a lesson!"

Naeun looked at the girl confused, but she could see that Eunji was serious.

"Why? You barely know me" Naeun asked.

"Because I don't like seeing people sad. And you're too pretty to be crying. You should always smile."

Flashback End

Eunji and Naeun became best friends since that day. True to her promise, Eunji always protected Naeun from bullies and harassers. 

But as time passed, Naeun began to develop feelings for her only friend.

Naeun's POV

Our calculus class ended for the day and I quickly felt sad. This was the only class that I have with Eunji Unnie because this was a senior and junior class. All our other classes are different.

Eunji Unnie walked me to my next class of the day, which was literature. I shyly said bye and watched her walk away.

I saw her greeting everyone and smiling. I was honestly jealous of this.

I wish I could be as open as Eunji Unnie. Everyone loves her. But more than being jealous of her, I'm jealous of the people around her.

I know it's selfish of me to feel this, but I sincerely wish Eunji would just be sweet to me. 

She might be my best friend, but I know she has friends other than just me. This fact scares me so much. Every day I worry that she will realize I'm not worth being friends with and just drop me from her life. I don't want to be replaced by someone who is obviously better than me.

Why can't I just be brave enough to confess my feelings to her?

Why won't Eunji Unnie just notice me? I mean I make it seem pretty obvious that I have a crush on her.

Am I not obvious enough or is she just dense?

The rest of the day went by pretty quickly and I gathered my stuff before getting ready to go home. I walked out of my last class, physics, and saw Eunji by the school's main door. I was about to go and greet her, until I saw her talking to Bomi Unnie and Minah Unnie. I looked away and slowly walked home by myself. It's not like I have anything against them, but I hate that they're always around Eunji. And I hate that she's so nice to everyone. I don't want to feel like this, it makes me feel stupid and childish.

'Why are you so stupid Eunji?'

Eunji's POV

I waited outside of the building for Naeun to finish her physics class. I get dismissed early since I have the last two periods of the day free. As I wait for my friend, I saw my friends Minah and Bomi walk up to greet me.

"Hey Eun!" Minah excitedly said.

"Yo" Bomi said.

"Hi guys" I replied.

"You waiting for Naeun?" Bomi asked while giving me a teasing smirk. Aish this girl is so annoying sometimes.

"So what if I am?" I questioned with a straight face.

"Awww don't get so defensive Eun" Minah said.

"Yeah, we think you and Naeun make an adorable couple." Bomi added.

"Yah! We're not like that!" I shouted while blushing. Why do I have friends like them? 

"Geez Eunji calm down. Besides, I'm very certain that Naeun likes you."

"No way. You two are insane" I said while rolling my eyes. They're so annoying sometimes I swear. 

'There's no way Naeunnie would ever like me. Why would she?'

Once those two idiots finished teasing me, I was left alone and waiting for Naeun. She seemed to be taking longer than usual.

'Did something happen to her?' I tried to shake that thought out of my mind and ran to the room that she has physics. The room was completely empty, which made me worry even more.

Why isn't she here?

I closed the door and ran to the other exit out of the building. I frantically looked around and still couldn't find my best friend, so I ran to the direction of her home. After about 10 minutes, I saw beautiful long black hair. I sighed in relief and hugged her from behind.

"Ah!!" She screamed in response.

"N-Naeunnie" I mumbled and she calmed down while I tightened my hug.

"Why did you leave without me?" I asked.

"..."

"Are you mad at me?"

She didn't reply again and avoided looking at me.

I held her soft hands and rubbed them with my thumbs.

"Naeunnie..."

"Unnie-Yah..."

"Yes?"

"Will you ever leave me?" she asked me.

"What?! Why would I ever do that?! Naeunnie is Eunnie's princess!" I childishly declared and hugged her protectively like a little kid. I always talked and acted like this whenever Naeun gets doubtful about our friendship.

She returned my hug and that made me smile. I drew invisible circles on her back and felt her shiver into my embrace.

"I... I just feel, no I'm scared that you will leave me. Seeing you with your other friends made me realize how pathetic I am. I only have you, but you have other friends. What if one day you decide that I'm too problematic and leave me?" Naeun asked me and I felt my throat going dry. Is this what she was worried about?

"God Naeunnie, you are such a dummy sometimes" I said and pressed our foreheads against each other's.

"You are my best friend. You always were and always will be. Yes I have other friends, but you're the most special one. You are Jung Eunji's shy, quiet, crybaby princess"

"Yah..." Naeun mumbled and chuckled softly. I smiled and wiped the tears off of her face.

"How about we hang out tomorrow? Just the two of us?" I suggested.

"Uhm..."

"We can go have fun, shop, eat, etc. Just like old times. Please?" I pouted.

"O-Okay." She nodded.

"Yay! I get to spend all day with my princess, Son Yeoshin!" I playfully cheered and I could see her blushing.

"You're a bigger idiot" Naeun muttered and walked away from me. I grinned and followed her.

So fine, maybe those people in calculus were right. Maybe I am Son Naeun's puppy. But I don't care because at the end of the day, it means Naeun trusts me and only me. I'd be more than happy to spend every second of every day with Naeun.

TBC

Sorry for such a bad first chapter. The next one will be better. Thank you to whoever subscribed, commented and upvoted this story.

@ exoshidae_yoonhunhan 2eun is <3
@ athousandreveries aha I probably disappointed you because I'm a bad author. But thanks dongsaengie ^^
@ kodenk thank you! ><
@ Jessbian LOL! I just prefer to write about angst, I don't know why. You're really too nice ; n ; But I'm not a good author, just someone with too much imagination. And yessss apink comeback