Day 2

In Heaven

I was awakened by the light tapping of a nurse.

"You should eat now. You already skipped breakfast and lunch." She smiles as she places the food tray on my bed table.

I rub my eyes as I rise up from my bed.

"What happened? Didn't I get operated?" I ask as fragments of memories from last night flood my mind.

"No, you were just defibrillated. You experienced a dysrythmia last night. So you should take ample rest to prevent further episodes of that." She answers, beginning to sound like my mother.

"Thanks. Who brought those?" I point to the roses on my bedside table as I notice it.

"Why don't you check it yourself? There's a card attached to it." She smiles suggestively.

I get it and a smile instantly paints my face when I read it.

Hyojoo,

I'm very sorry for last night. The only reason why I stopped you is because I don't want you to prick yourself from the rose's thorns. I hope you get well soon.

-Jaejoong
 

After I finish my meal, I dash to the bathroom. I hurriedly take a bath and fix myself up. I was like a high schooler preparing for my very first date. One final look in the mirror, then I get the flowers and head to the garden. It was already sunset when I reached the garden. Hours passed by until night falls, and still there wasn't even a single sight of the person whom I was waiting for. Not even his shadow. Stupid Hyo Joo. I should have asked the nurse first. What if he is just a visitor? Or if he is a patient, what if he is asleep now? Plain stupidity. I hit my head hard as I curse myself quietly. I slowly stand up then start to walk, both my head and shoulders hung low. Unaware of my surroundings, I almost bumped into someone when a pair of black sneakers suddenly appear and meet my slippers. I look up and saw him. Mr. Perfect. Jaejoong.

"How long have you waited for me?" He asks worriedly as he takes off his light brown jacket and wraps it around my shoulders.

I stared at him for a while. He is wearing a white v-neck shirt paired with washed denim jeans that both hugged his body perfectly. Hand him a guitar and you'll see a rockstar. His simple outfit today made him look more handsome as compared to the patient's gown yesterday. A million times better.

He waves his hand in front of my face which wakes me from my trance. Embarrassment follows.

"Since sunset." I answer in a small voice as I try to look away.

"And why is that?" He asks, amused, clearly making fun of me.

My cheeks turn scarlet as I search for an answer inside my head. I grasp the roses in my hand while looking at it intently, as if finding the answer there. "These flowers, did you put-"

"Yes. Did my alibi work?" He cuts me off then chuckles.

"Yeah, it somehow did." I smile as I trail my finger along the thornless stem on one of the roses.

"I'm really sorry for my behavior last night. It's because this garden is special. This belongs to my mother." He apologizes, full of sincerity.

"So you're mother is here, too?" I ask out of surprise.

"She used to. She died last year. She made me spread her ashes  over the soil in here, said she wanted to live on forever using these flowers that she planted. She treated these flowers as her own children, which makes them my sisters." He jokes but sadness is clearly reflected in his eyes.

"Then you're a bad brother, for giving your sisters like that." I joke back, hoping to lighten up the mood.

He looks at me for a while, then he laughs. A unique syllabicated laugh. At first, I thought he was just faking it, but after a few more laughs and the glint of happiness burning in his eyes, I was convinced.

"What you said last night-" He starts cautiously, but I quickly cut him off.

"Diagnosis, cardiomyopathy. Prognosis, six months. How about you?" I ask cluelessly. What life-threatening disease could this healthy man be suffering from? Is it graver than what I have? Who will die first? Me or him?

"AIDS . I'll die on the 13th." He answers stoically.

My eyes widen as my jaw drops, shock and disbelief enveloping my thoughts.

"You don't believe me?" He asks, probably picking up on what my face is showing up right now.

"I don't. You look so vigorous, like you don't have any disease at all. I saw you yesterday morning and thought you were just a visitor." I explain in one full breath, not letting him to interrupt me.

"So you were checking me out?" He asks with an ear to ear grin.

My mind goes blank rendering me speechless. He lets out his hilarious syllabicated laugh once again which made me blush five shades of red deeper with each "ha-ha".

What was originally a minute of awkward silence seemed to be an eternity of shame for me. I had no choice but to put an end to it.

"I hope we can be friends, since you're the only one around here who is the same age as me." I dare speak though my eyes are still glued to the roses in my hands.

"Sure. Just don't fall in love with me. Remember, the more attachment you have towards me, the harder it is for you to let me go when I die." He says with a serious voice but ends his statement with a light chuckle, leaving me confused if he really meant it or it was basically a joke. I'm positive it's the latter but a part of me thinks it's the first.

"That goes the same for you, too. Don't fall for my beauty or else you'll end up asking God for another lifetime." I grin at him playfully which made him laugh.