The Wedding Declaration

| The Wedding Declaration |

THE WEDDING DECLARATION

-

“I will like to thank all of you for attending our small wedding reception dinner. Both So Eun and I did not want an elaborate wedding dinner, not that we have many friends and family members to invite anyway,” Jun Ho declared, while the guests laughed at his candid comment.

Kim Bum watched Jun Ho as he talked. “The lucky man.” His eyes moved to So Eun. She was so beautiful tonight. Dressed in a white off-shoulder gown, embellished with some pearls and lace, her beauty shone. Her blushed cheeks and blissful smile were so radiant, and her happiness did hurt him a little. He was happy for her, but he would be much happier if her groom were him. Too late. He knew he was too late, and he could only regret.

After So Eun’s announcement during their reunion dinner back then, the group did not meet again until today. While So Eun mentioned that she would love to introduce Jun Ho to them, she never did, as all of them continued on with their busy lives. Only Hye Sun had met Jun Ho as she helped So Eun with the wedding preparations. It was true that So Eun had a small family and few friends, and Jun Ho as well. In fact, many of the guests included the orphans whom Jun Ho helped during his volunteering.

A compassionate man for sure, Kim Bum noted. Affectionate and honest. Kim Bum was mentally taking note of Jun Ho’s characteristics and comparing Jun Ho and himself. In fact when they all arrived, Kim Joon had asked Hye Sun how Jun Ho was like. Hye Sun unhesitatingly answered, “a very good man”. Her quick answer made Kim Bum’s heart cringe. He had been unable to become that ‘very good man’ to So Eun. He could have, but he went away. He could have, but he was hesitant and timid.

“I would like to extend my gratitude to the home who I helped out with. It is because of you that I had the chance to meet this angel beside me.” Jun Ho smiled contentedly, holding So Eun’s hands and grinned. The volunteers and children cheered and clapped their hands.

“We may not have been together for a long time, but I am really thankful for you agreeing to marry me, So Eun. You did not know how much fear and worries I have had, before proposing to you. I apologise to all of our guests, as I am going to do a relatively long declaration of my love for my angel.” Jun Ho laughed and bowed to the guests, while the guests chortled at his adorable gesture.

So Eun blushed and beat Jun Ho gently on his shoulder.

“I met her as I assisted in bringing the children to their homes after the pottery class, and bringing them to the classes. When I first met her, well, I have to admit that I am superficial to a certain extent. She just looks so beautiful, smiling to these children, patiently guiding them to mould the pottery, and I just have really good impressions of her. I like her, but it was not that strong to make me woo her, or simply, I haven’t fallen in love with her yet.” Jun Ho began his declaration.

The guests remained silent as they listened to him.

“After knowing her better, and asking her to join some of the volunteering activities with me, I learnt that she was actually waiting for another man. I hope you don’t mind me sharing this.” Jun Ho turned to So Eun for assurance. So Eun shook her head and smiled gently. Hyun Joong, Kim Joon, Min Ho and Hye Sun fixed their eyes on Kim Bum, who was keeping a straight face. One would never notice his slightly trembling lips unless with a close up camera. Kim Bum kept his hands in his pockets, wondering what Jun Ho would say next.

“Initially, I did not mind; I was just impressed that in this age, there is still someone who is so dedicated to waiting for another, simply giving in her all, waiting and waiting. While being impressed by her dedication, I was also sceptical about how long she can last waiting for a man who does not seem to care about her that much. For the first two to three years, she tried. I encouraged her as a good friend, stayed by her side as she wept, questioned her dedication when the man she yearned so badly for does not seem to care. Despite all these, she did not waver at all.” Jun Ho paused and looked at So Eun again. She was listening to him as well, her lips tight, as her eyes fleeted to Kim Bum. She wondered what he would think. Should she stop Jun Ho? Was it alright for Jun Ho to continue? Why was Jun Ho doing this declaration now?

“All these times, I watched her and I realised that I am in love with her. Without knowing, I have fallen deeply in love with this woman. She is strong, she is cheerful, she is everything that one man could ask for, but she has a broken heart. What I realise as I watched her after these years, is how much I want to protect her, how much I want to be her man, and how much I love her. I started wooing her and making clear my intentions to her. I want her to be my girlfriend. Selfishly, I was thankful to the man who did not respond to her. I know it is wrong, but time waits for no man. She deserves better, much better.” Jun Ho announced. His words wounded Kim Bum severely. Kim Bum still maintained his poker face while the rest of the group started shifting uncomfortably in their seats.

Many of the other guests wondered why Jun Ho was narrating such a story. It was not a fairytale-like romance story. Some volunteers wondered if they should cover the children’s ears.

“I think, by now, many of you are wondering why I am saying all this. A declaration of love should be romantic and not sorrowful. I also know that the man who So Eun had waited for is present today. I am not trying to hurt you. I apologise sincerely but part of me wants to let you know that it was not right of you to treat her this way. You can have your reasons but this is not right. Perhaps, I should not say these on stage, in front of others, but I also want to take this chance to convey a message to everyone. All of you do know that life is short. When you meet someone who you really cherish, take a chance, take a risk and bravely show your affection. Be candid. Be honest. Tell people how you feel. Show them. While sometimes you may be irritated with others, and you think that if you tell others the truth, they will be hurt. Yes, they can be hurt, but if everyone keeps silent about how they feel, relationships will not develop.” Jun Ho continued.

“Especially when you love someone. Please, tell her. Please, tell him. Show your affection as well.” Jun Ho cleared his throat. “So Eun loves you deeply. Even though you have hurt her, she forgives you and I know her love for you is one of a kind. This is another reason why I am saying all of these right now, right here. I promise that I will take good care of her. I love her very much. I think you did love her very much too, but perhaps you are not brave enough back then. I urge you to be braver. I think So Eun really wants you to be happy as well.” Jun Ho smiled to Kim Bum and nodded, and then back to So Eun, who was sobbing. Jun Ho then brushed So Eun’s tears away gently.

“You deserve a happy ending too. All of you deserve happy endings, but please remember that happiness sometimes do not come easily. Perhaps there will be heart breaks, there will be objections but, while this is cliché, a rainbow only comes after a rain. I love all of you, and thank you for coming tonight and gracing our wedding. I wish all of you happiness. Thank you!” With that, Jun Ho and So Eun bowed to the guests.

Applause rang out loud. Kim Bum clapped. Jun Ho was right. Jun Ho had what he lacked- courage, honesty and initiative. Min Ho hugged Hye Sun tightly. Both of them were reminded of the difficulties they had overcome together. Jun Ho was trying to help So Eun, and in fact the rest of them, to knock sense into Kim Bum. None of them had the courage to tell Kim Bum directly throughout all these years. They thought a relationship between two people should be handled by the parties themselves. They forgot that sometimes, people needed a push to move.

Hyun Joong and Kim Joon clapped as they pondered hard. Indeed, Jun Ho was a very good man, and a charismatic one.

So Eun broke down in tears as Jun Ho embraced her in his arms. “Jun Ho...”

“I love you So Eun. I hope I did this right.” He whispered in her ears.

She nodded her head. She had wanted Kim Bum to be happy but she did not know how. In fact she had been wondering about this. While she was genuinely happy to be married to Jun Ho, she really wanted Kim Bum to be happy too. Jun Ho must have sensed it too.

“Thank you,” So Eun hugged Jun Ho more tightly. “I love you too.”

- THE END - 

Thank you for reading. Thank you even more if you leave a comment. Do read Let Her Go :p (I personally prefer that. HAHAS)

Best Regards & Cheers

th1rd3ye/crunch/th1rd3yecrunch