Caroling (Children-Part 1)

Caroling (Children-Part 1)

            Kay sat on the carpet of DO's living room with Kris, her boyfriend, who sat close to her. DO was warming up their friends' voices for caroling.

            "Okay, let's practice this one--"

            Everyone started singing, but they couldn't reach the high notes. Kris laughed when Kay's voice cracked. She gave him an annoyed look and lightly pushed him away.

            DO scratched his head. "Maybe we should start when a lower key." He hummed a note, and they all sang again. No one except for Kris and Chanyeol could reach the low notes this time. However, even their low notes weren't that dulcet. Kay laughed at Kris, and he showed her his displeased face. "I think that we all forgot that this song has a wide range of notes..." DO declared at last. Everyone nodded their heads. Their warm-up was over.

 

            "Kay unnie!" Yun, Chen's seven-year old niece, exclaimed as she turned around in her seat. (Yun means melody in Korean~ kekeke)

            "Yes?" Kay replied as a motherly smile appeared on her face. Kris saw the tenderness is her eyes. He unconsciously smiled. Kay absolutely loved kids.

            "Can I be in a group with you and Kris oppa?" the little girl asked.

            "Sure!" Kay agreed enthusiastically. She turned to Kris who didn't look comfortable. Yun happily thanked her while she bounded off to the magnae, Sehun, and Luhan. She had found an attachment with the pair. Kris had no experience with kids with the exception of the past few days when he watched Kay and a few of the EXO boys interact with Yun at a distance. "Don't worry, Kris," Kay said as she put her hand on his shoulder. "It's Yun! She loves you!"

            Kris gave her a skeptical look. He knew that his intimidating height and usual cold demeanor did not earn him brownie points from Yun. Chanyeol and Sehun were also really tall, but the former was the resident idiot of their group and the latter was closest in age with the little girl as EXO's youngest.

            "At least do this for Chen. He had to take care of his niece for the past three days. Let him relax a little," Kay coaxed.

            Kris looked at his dongsaeng who was across the room laughing with his infamous fellow 92' liners, Chanyeol and Baekhyun, otherwise known as the “Beagle line,” at a witty joke Baekhyun had just made. Kay made a good point. Chen was a lot less stressed and frazzled since all of EXO was here to take care of his niece with him. He sighed while reluctantly breaking in, "Okay. For Chen."

            Kay gave him a dazzling smile and hugged his arm. "You're the best, Kris!"

~*<3*~

            "Yun! Slow down! We don't want to lose you!" Luhan called while chasing the speedy kid.

            Kay and Kris walked briskly behind Luhan with linked arms. "It's so cold~" Kay exasperated as a gust of wind mercilessly blew.

            "I told you that you should've worn more clothes," Kris gently scolded her.

            Kay pouted.

            "Are you guys ready?" Yun called from the doorsteps of the next house.

            "Wait, Yun!" Everyone called after her and tried to get to the next house quickly without slipping on the snow.

            "Do you have a hood?" Kris asked Kay.

            "No..." she replied. Wait. Kay pulled the back of her thick scarf over her head. "I can use this as a hood," she looked up at Kris.

            He smiled and pulled the scarf snug around her neck. The group finally got to the next house. Kay and Kris stood close to the house so that Yun could join them after she rang the doorbell with Luhan. Kris stood behind Kay and wrapped his arms around her waist. Her already pink face that was bitten from the cold weather flushed.

            "Are you warmer now?" Kris softly asked.

            Kay nodded in return.

            Kris' hand touched a bump where her stomach was. "What's this?" he asked. She looked at him and pointed to her scarf. Kris nodded. An idea struck his mind, and he smiled.

            Kris leaned down so that his lips grazed Kay's ear, "I can't wait until our baby comes," he whispered, loud enough for the others to hear.

            Kay turned around to see Kris' eyes twinkle in mischief. He gave her a smirk as went agape. Her eyes flashed in annoyance. Don't play with me! She slapped his arm, and Kris turned her around. "Yun already rang the doorbell," he whispered to Kay. She hated how Kris was right. They could see movement through the front door window.

            A man opened the door. "Hi, could we sing you some Christmas carols?" Yun and Luhan recited their lines together in unison.

            "Sure!" the man said. "Just wait one minute."

            Yun ran to Kris and Kay, who put her hands on the younger's shoulders.

            The man then brought his whole family to enjoy the musical performance.

            Everyone started singing

            The family who was listening enjoyed the beautiful a capella with warm smiles on their faces. The carolers finished their song and started "We Wish You a Merry Christmas." Kris pulled Kay closer to him and swayed her from side to side.

            The father of the house quickly ran back into the house and came back with a bag of candy before the carolers sang their last note.

            "Merry Christmas!~" they chimed and waved.

            "Thank you so much!" the family expressed their gratitude.

            "Who wants chocolate?" the kind man asked. He pulled out one for Yun.

            Yun took the candy.

            "What do you say, Yun?" Kay reminded.

            "Thank you!" Yun exclaimed.

            Kay and Kris both beamed at the little girl. Kay endearingly put her hand on Yun's head.

            After bringing the rest of the neighborhood the holiday spirit, Yun was tired, and everyone was cold, so they went back to hang out at DO's place.

            Kris handed Kay a mug of DO's homemade hot chocolate.

            "Thanks," Kay smiled at Kris. After taking a sip of the delightful drink, she put her head on his shoulder while he put his arm around her.

            "You're not cold anymore, right?" Kris questioned.

            Kay nodded.

            He looked at her face. Her nose was red from the cold weather. He chuckled to himself, and Kay looked up at him questioningly. He shook his heading indicating that it was nothing.

            "Hyung!" Chen called when he went over to the couple. "When's the baby coming?"

            Kay's eyes widen, and she shot Kris a cross look. Kris laughed because his fellow member mentioned it. Half of the other members heard Chen's question. DO came over as well with his eyes as huge as saucers and exclaimed in disbelief, "Baby?? Hyung, you and Kay didn't... do that before you got married, did you?"

            "Oh my gosh..." Kay gasped in embarrassment. She was thankful that Yun was currently fascinated with Xiumin's ability to make himself look like a baozi. Or else what sort of role model would she be? Kay buried her head in Kris' chest and slapped him repeatedly. "This is all your fault! Kevin Jiaheng Li! Tell them the truth!"

            "The truth is..." Kris started. Kay continued slapping him. "There is no baby," he finished.

            "Aww... hyung... we thought you had it in you!" Chanyeol exclaimed. Chen and Baekhyun laughed.

            "Kris, remind me to kill Chanyeol," Kay ordered.

            "Will do," Kris answered.

            Chanyeol's mouth dropped open, and he sputtered, "B-b-but! Noona! What about Chen and Baekhyun??"

            Kay's voice was muffled by Kris' shirt, but it was still pretty clear, "Mmmm.... I'll have to think about it. Chen is left off the hook for now... And I might have to reconsider for Baekhyun."

            Kris laughed as Chanyeol started whining and bribing Kay, who wouldn't take any of it, and Chen and Baekhyun howled in laughter .

~*<3*~

            Kris walked Kay back to her apartment. They leisurely strolled in the night with linked arms again. Snowflakes lightly fell down.

            Kay jumped. "It's snowing!" she squealed. Kris laughed at her and admired how beautiful she looked when she was happy.

            Once they got to the front of her house, Kay turned around to face Kris.

            "Thanks for walking me back home," Kay said with sincerity.

            You don't have to thank me, Kris thought. You're welcome. His eyes told her everything. The couple hugged each other and said goodbye for the night.

            Kay turned her back towards Kris and opened the door. She turned her head back to him. "Bye, Kris oppa!"

            He smiled and gave her a slight wave, but stopped her before she closed the door. "Kay!" She turned around. "Yes?" she smiled, anticipating what he had to say.

            Kris bit his lip as he looked at the ground. "Kay..." Kris began. His eyes met her expectant eyes. Kris let out an embarrassed laugh. "I know you really love kids... And I think we both are hoping to get married sometime, right?"

            It was Kay's turn to be embarrassed. Nevertheless, she nodded her head timidly.

            "I...—this might seem a little early to discuss—but... please let me take time to get used to kids. Is that okay? I've never been good with them, and I always wanted to connect with them in some way, but I'm still learning how to... I think I've started okay with Yun..." Kris sighed and looked back at the ground. "Now I'm just rambling."

            Kay gently pressed her fist to the side of his head, causing it to loll to the other side. Kris looked up at her. "I understand," Kay replied. Her loving eyes melted Kris. He was so happy that she could decipher his broken speech. "Besides, I have to take care of this kid before we can even think about having our own."

            Kris' eyes widened in confusion. Wha--?

            Kay laughed and quickly gave him a peck on his lips before shouting a "Night!" and closing her door.

            Kris stood outside Kay's door completely stunned and finally understood what she meant. Who's a kid? Not me, obviously. It's you, pabo. He shook his head as he smiled lightly and went back home.