Going Public

Going Public

His hand gripped hers tightly as they walked through the crowded streets of Myeongdong. Everyone had their eyes on them, a crowd was slowly forming behind them, and people were pointing and whispering. He had a silly smile on his face, while she looked worried and kept her head down, trying to hide from the phone cameras that people were whipping out left and right. She tugged on his hand, feeling uncomfortable with the stares and the whispers, but he kept tightened his grip on hers, preventing her from shaking his hand off. Trusting him, she knew he had a reason for doing this, and she stopped struggling.

“Why are you doing this?” She whispered, looking up at him for the first time since he pulled her out into this crowded street. He kept his smile and didn’t reply; instead he started to nod to people and wave. ‘He’s out of his mind.’ She thought, but she didn’t ask further. Dating a person like her boyfriend, who did whatever he wanted, she learnt not to push for answers and trust him. But she had a reason for thinking that he was crazy; most of their dates were usually car rides in the middle of the night, walking their dogs together at a deserted dark place, or a park. Either that or they would hang out at each other’s place. They were in a relationship that no one except people who were close to them knew about. Why do this right now and ruin their efforts so far? Worse, it might ruin his career.

Being a private person, she was fine with keeping it that way. And that’s what he liked about her. She never asked him for anything he couldn’t give, including a proper date. He was curious one day and asked her, “Don’t you wish we were a normal couple?” She answered almost immediately, but the answer was one he replayed and replayed in his mind whenever he couldn’t sleep. “If we were a normal couple, we wouldn’t be us.” He confronted her when she replied that way, she refused to answer. “Think.” Was all she said. Initially he didn’t know the meaning to her answer, did she mean that they can’t be together if he’s not a celebrity? Was she being together him only because of his status? After thinking and replaying it countless times in his mind, he finally realized what she meant; that their relationship was the one and only in this world, and that she wouldn’t have it any other way other than this. When he finally understood, and told her, she smiled, silently snaking her arms around his waist, leaning her head on his chest. He knew that he was right. That was what she meant.

Dragging her to the most crowded part of Myeongdong, a crowded cross road, he stopped. And for the first time that night, he faced her and looked her in the eye, his hands holding hers gently and lovingly. Everyone crowded around them, their curiosity aroused. Why was one of the nation’s most popular idols holding a girl’s hand and walking along such a crowded street? What is he about to do? And who was that girl? He continued to stare intently into her eyes, then, he spoke.

“You might be confused. You might be scared, but trust me.” She nodded, looking up at him, her eyes filled with love. Turning to the crowd, he started his speech. “Hello, sorry to everyone for interrupting your night out, and yes, I am who you think I am. But contrary to the image I show on broadcast, I’m a man who’s full of fear when it comes to love. I might be good with words, but I believe that actions mean more than words ever will. Regretfully, there was never once I showed courage in love or in my relationship. Throughout the 3 years she has been dating me, I have never brought my girl out for a romantic dinner, or even prepared any events for her, yet she never asks for anything. She deserves much more than what I can give, yet she never complains.” Tilting his head a little and lowering his voice, bending a little so she can hear, “That’s you in case you haven’t realized.” He said. She chuckled, covering with her hand, shyly ducking her head towards him. “Right now, I have a proposal to make, everyone, you will give us your blessing right?” He smiled cheerfully at the crowd, most of them cheering him on. Turning his body to face the girl, he smiled down at her. “Will you be willing to go public with me?” She smiled back at him, taking both his hands into hers. Slightly tip-toeing, she kissed him fully on the lips.

In the subsequent hours, days, and even weeks, many videos of them circled their way around the net, becoming the hottest topic online. His confession, and her bold move followed by his shocked expression, widening his eyes, and then kissing her back.