(1/2)

Yellow Chrysanthemum
What was it again?

Aspirin.

He needed those.

The chatter that was buzzing distractedly around him was slowly driving away ever single drop of patience Jongin had to offer. His jaw was tensed from hours of keeping up the anticipated smile and his lip seemingly set out on an unwanted curve. The sound of the clock was slowly becoming louder; mirroring the urge to open his mouth to cut everything short, but even the chances of letting him get away with a letter was rapidly decreasing.

“Don’t you think yellow tulips are amazing?” a voice drifted beside him, the familiar soothing voice he had come to like already verging on annoying.

“We should drape the ceilings in flowers too! What do you think will—“

“One sec, babe, need to check on Mr. Choi.” He smoothly cut off the female, charming smile already in place before he swiftly disappears further down the crowded room.

Once he’s convinced that he’s as far away as possible from his fiancé, Jongin finally releases the sigh he had been holding back since two hours ago, deft fingers coming up to rub at his jaw. With his eyes drooping down to their natural tired look, he let his steps come to a halt when the welcoming breeze of the night greeted him at last. The balcony overlooking the garden was empty, like a wallflower deemed inexistent by the spectators and it was the perfect place for Jongin to escape. Calloused hand follow the flow of his tie, his back leaned against the tall balustrades as his eyes subtly scours the crowd inside with disinterest. He was seconds from tearing his gaze away when he saw him that stood up on the crowd.

With a modest rub of his eyes, he let himself blink another time just to be certain he wasn’t visualizing from being strained too much. He willed himself to squint his eyes as he fixed his stare back at the crowd of people but there wasn’t any sign of the man anymore, just a lingering aftertaste of hope that bubbled inside him.

“There you are.”

With a slow movement that mirrored his hesitancy, his eyes met Jinri’s unsettled ones and a faint drop of guilt whisks its way up his sleeves.
He eased the smile back on his face as he inched a tad bit closer to the female, thin locks of brown hair sliding sideways down her cheek courtesy of the wind.

“I thought it would be best to have a bit of a fresh air. You know how Mr. Choi’s wife prefers her perfumes.”

It had been always easy for Jongin to read his fiancé’s expressions, and tonight was no different as he takes in how the crease on her forehead melts alongside the emergence of her smile. Clear.

“The wedding planner just arrived. It’s best if we meet him together, don’t you think?” There was a vague chime of a giggle on her voice, a sentiment he wasn’t willing to share at that particular moment when her words finally registered.

“You got a wedding planner,” he repeated mostly to himself, voice stressing the last two words.

“Yes! Apparently, he was the one in charge of Luna’s wedding last month. You remember that one right? The one with the sparkling butterflies?” she gushed, excitement barely concealed as she goes on about how amazing the wedding was.

Jinri’s downpour of words was lost some part in the beginning as Jongin contemplated seriously on her words. He? Weren’t wedding planners usually females?“—let’s go.”

He was pulled back from his thoughts when dainty fingers laced around his own, the urge to not return the hold resisted as he loosely let his fingers curl around Jinri’s own.

The buzzing of the jazz music from the balcony quickly came up on volume as they enter the crowded room again. Greeting were passed for the umpteenth time that night as the couple walked past the guests and Jongin was honestly thankful when they reached the far corner of the room, a wall inconspicuously dividing the place from the rest and muffling the music as little as it could.

“You’re going to like him, Jongin. He’s an angel.”

Jongin’s tongue itched to differ, never really being in an encounter where he finds another male endearing but he settles for humming his neutrality.

“Ms. Park, it’s finally good to meet you. Ah, and this must be—“

The words died down abruptly for it to be natural and Jongin quirks an eyebrow, belatedly looking up to study the owner of the voice. Oh.

“I see you’ve finally decided to settle down, Jongin.”

“You make it sound as if I’m that old.” Jongin bit back, a hint of playfulness on his gruff voice as the corners of his mouth threatened to come up. Beside him, Jinri’s inquiring gaze subtly bore on both males.

“You know Kyungsoo?”

Jongin found himself turning his head swiftly to stare at his fiancé, mouth poised to verbally express his confusion but Baekhyun beat him to it.

“I’m sorry but I’m not Kyungsoo, Ms. Park.” Baekhyun kindly offered to the poor lady, the familiar teasing smile bringing Jongin back to years past.
This only serves to further the crease on Jinri’s forehead, orbs round and questioning. “But you sound exactly like the male from the phone.”

The smile on Baekhyun’s face only seemed to grow wider as he shrugs his hands inside his pants’ pockets. “It’s because it was really me, Ms. Park. Kyungsoo’s… a special case. I’m sure Jongin knows of that already.”

Jinri’s gaze flitted towards Jongin but even before she could voice another question out, a pair of footsteps distracted the three of them, the arrival of a fourth person not going amiss as he turned the corner to where the three of them were.

“And he has finally arrived.” Baekhyun announced, finding it necessary to voice out the obvious, making the last addition to the group flush a humble shade of pink.

“Hyung?”Jongin’s voice broke the silence that dawned on all of them and as if he knew it all along, Kyungsoo turned his head to look at the owner of the voice. There was a moment of stunned silence again before it melted under Kyungsoo’s soft smile, the buzzing of the music coming back up. Jongin watched as the older male walked past them towards Baekhyun’s side and faced Jinri and him.

“This is Do Kyungsoo.” Baekhyun started, an arm draping casually over Kyungsoo’s shoulder as the latter offers another of his small smile. “Kyungsoo here—“ A pause, something Jongin knows already. “—prefers to be quiet about things and I serve as his personal microphone.”

The natural ease that comes between Baekhyun and Kyungsoo’s interaction wasn’t new to Jongin but it was the first time he was able to witness it up close. The two of them were always close back when they were still high school students, a fact Jongin and everyone knew even if he was in an entirely different group of friends.

A loud clap startled him out of his thoughts, eyes automatically finding Kyungsoo’s but the latter was focused on Jinri.

“So all we’ve actually got is… nothing.” Baekhyun cheerfully declared, hands clasped together as he throws an expectant glance on Jongin’s fiancé’s way. “Not even a theme, Ms. Park?”

Jinri seemed to be embarrassed about the whole ordeal of uncertainty as she ducked her eyes away from Baekhyun’s, her pale skin easily showing off the pink tinge on her cheeks.

“I was hoping Mr. Do would be able to help me decide.” She answered softly, voice almost a lost whisper between them.

Baekhyun made another visible move to say something but a surprisingly firm grip from Kyungsoo on the former’s wrist halted the onslaught of words. Jongin was curious how firm Kyungsoo’s hold can be.

He watched as Kyungsoo slowly shook his head, an action he deemed to negate Baekhyun’s ought-to-be comment and he pretended to not notice the spark of jealousy that flared inside him. He wanted that kind of connection. The question is with who?

“Ms. Park, will it be alright then if we schedule an appointments based from Kyungsoo’s free time?” The tone Baekhyun used was far different from earlier, the slight tone of smugness totally gone and replaced by a soft fondness. “Kyungsoo’s willing to help you decide on what type of wedding you want, only if you are willing to spare the time.”

“Oh. Yes, yes!” Jinri’s voice was verging on a squeal, eyes gleaming with the same enthusiasm she showed Jongin a few minutes ago.

“Then it’s settled.” The toothy grin was back but Jongin wasn’t exactly paying attention, senses in tune with the smallest male of all of them. A few more words were exchanged, mostly on Baekhyun and Jinri’s part, while Jongin only served to agree with whatever Jinri asked of him.

“We’ll see you next week then, Ms. Park.” Baekhyun bowed before turning once more to Jongin, a teasing smirk on his face that was gone all too soon in a blink of Jongin’s eye. “You too, Jongin.”

His response was a small smile of his own, eyes trailing as Kyungsoo and Baekhyun excused themselves from the party with a hint of another appointment. They were barely of earshot when Jongin finally found his voice.

“Kyungsoo.”

His voice was nothing but a mere whisper but he swore he saw the name’s owner tilt his head to the side slightly, a peek of a glance before he disappeared out the door.



















“Are you sure you’ll be alright?”

The weariness surrounding the question didn’t deter Kyungsoo from nodding as often as the question was popped out, anxiousness not even masked by Baekhyun’s usual pompousness as he struts around Kyungsoo’s living room in poorly hidden agitation.

Finger constantly pressing on the remote as channels flick in succession failed to flood out the clacking of Baekhyun’s shoes on the tiled floor, the sound messing up the silent drums of Kyungsoo’s breath. A soft sigh of playful exasperation escaped his lips before small fingers closed upon the pen lying motionless on the small coffee table in front of him.

The small sound seemed to have pique’s Baekhyun’s interest as well as he finally stops his pacing and settles on waiting for whatever word Kyungsoo finally decided to offer.

It’s just Jongin.

“It’s just Jongin.” Baekhyun read out aloud a tad bit more melodramatic than how Kyungsoo wanted it to come out. “Exactly!” he added after a resounding pause as if he purposely let the silence sink in before continuing.

Ms. Park too.

“Oh yes. Ms. Park.” The response called for a simple roll of Kyungsoo’s eyes before he returned his gaze to the news playing distractedly on the television. It is unnaturally cold this time of year.

Baekhyun, highly affronted by the lack of response he was expecting, decided to flop down beside his bestfriend, grudgingly mouthing about ungrateful wedding planners and their habit of ignoring their assistants. He was still in the middle of murmuring how offending one particular incident is when the sound of the doorbell made the two of them flinch, Baekhyun reacting faster out of the both of them as he slid on the marble floors towards the door with a flourish.
A click of the lock and the sound of the chains jingling served as the catalysts for Kyungsoo’s fingers to straighten themselves up from their hold on the remote, vague sounds of the vehicles down the street dying down to a shattering silence.

The footsteps thundering inside the apartment in an impossibly loud tremor was laced with anxious falters from the owner, the clack of familiar heels absent bringing forth a drum of familiar nervousness. Kyungsoo’s palms were clammy with quiet nerves when Jongin’s face greeted him the moment he stood up, knee making contact with the edge of the table. There was a slight wince on Kyungsoo’s part but both of them pretended to not notice it, both scared to break the heavy atmosphere between them.

Baekhyun’s steps were a muffled noise against the wooden floor, a complete opposite to what Jongin was trying to achieve and it was a refreshing change of pace but no one needed to know that.

“Why is Ms. Park not with you?” There was a hint of barely hidden distaste on Baekhyun’s voice and Jongin was quick to pick it up, keen observation not needed anymore when the older clearly wants for him to know.

Jongin took his moment before he answered, eyes caressing the beige walls patterned with different frames, the whole room schemed with the soft hues of earthly colors. It was unwanted, but he find himself being pricked with pain when he saw one particular frame of Kyungsoo and his friends back on his college days, smiles bright and gleaming as the sun reflected the brilliant day on their eyes. There was an impression of something missing, something Jongin hesitantly admits – someone like him. He should have been on it. He had a chance to be on it.

“Something came up and she was called back to her office.” Jongin replied shortly, orbs finally settling on Kyungsoo’s own and the desperate alienation on them was dire to watch. “She told me to go on and help you decide.”

On the corner of Kyungsoo’s eye, Baekhyun had his head tilted upward towards the ceiling, the older male straining his mental capacity with rigorous torture as he find ways to throw Jongin out the room. A small snort escaped Kyungsoo’s nose.

“Aren’t you going to take a look at this?” A yellow envelope was handed out to Kyungsoo and Jongin was peeved at how the former seemed to avoid any type of close proximity with him.

Taking the envelope in his hand, Kyungsoo slowly sat back down on the couch, the space left more adequate for another person to sit on it and Jongin was already halfway on it when Baekhyun slid past his nose and stuck himself on the wedding planner’s side, arms glued together as if puzzle pieces being formed by a child.

“Your fiancé has some taste.” Baekhyun felt the need to throw at Jongin. “Which leads me to why she would marry you? Odd, isn’t it?”
Jongin’s eyes caught Baekhyun’s piercing ones, the words lost between them like a familiar flow of stream but he couldn’t help the feeling that Baekhyun was letting on more than he should.

“Clearly you do not share the same views then.” He settled for a safe answer, watching as the grin bloomed on Baekhyun’s face. It was hard, the predicament he was in, especially when Kyungsoo was just an arm’s reach away from his, dainty fingers typing rapidly on his laptop as eyes glance on the papers once in a while.

He let himself get lost on Baekhyun’s commentaries, answering with mild enthusiasm to avoid further inquiries as he studies Kyungsoo out of his peripheral. He didn’t look like he aged at all, something ironic to what he was right now, the business and his family pushing him into boundaries not yet to be overlapped and urging him to leap mountains way too high for his reach.

“ – Jongin?”

“Yeah?”

“Kyungsoo’s sending me out to buy some snacks. Anything in particular that you want?”

If the question caught him off guard, it was nothing on how he felt knowing that he would be left alone with Kyungsoo in a room. He knew better than to say that out loud though, choosing instead to shake his head and lean his back on the couch.

“Anything will do.”

There was a small sound of disbelief before footsteps lead to the sound of the door clicking shut, the air suddenly too silent and stale for his liking. He had to be the one to break it.

“How have you been, hyung?”

The surge of relief that filled him was unexpected but not unwelcomed when Kyungsoo looked his way and smiled. It wasn’t that of how he remembered but it was enough – More than enough.

I’ve been good.

There was another sound of pen against paper before Kyungsoo raised another strip, holding it up for Jongin to see.

How does it feel? Getting married?

Jongin didn’t plan on it, but he was already seated beside Kyungsoo before he could even say sorry for his actions. The latter didn’t seem to resent his actions though and he finds himself leaning his full weight on the couch in response.

“I don’t know.” His tone was dry but his words were blunt, cutting through the wonderful notion a wedding usually holds. His eyes were closed and he waited for anything, something that would tell him Kyungsoo was uncomfortable with his answer but none came. “It’s stifling.”

There were a few more beats of silence before the sound of fingers hitting the keys on the laptop started again. Maybe he was wrong to think that Kyungsoo would be interested with his answer anyway. Leaning his elbows on his thighs, he tilted his torso forward as he opened his eyes, the bright orange of the post it note greeting him obnoxiously on the table’s surface.

You’ll be fine.

The words glowed eerily on his vision and behind his eyelids even when he decided to close them. The simple sentence was enough to lift the pressure from his shoulders only to be replaced by something more painful than numbness.

“I’m sorry.” He blurted out without thinking, the weight suddenly too heavy as he lifted tired eyes to take in Kyungsoo’s soft features. “For back then, hyung. I’m sorry I didn’t give you the chance.”

The clicking sounds stopped and he watched in slow motion as Kyungsoo turned around to meet his gaze. They held the silence alongside their breaths before Jongin saw the same Kyungsoo years ago smile back at him.

I forgive you.



















“There he is, Jongin!”

Sehun’s voice was loud and it was distracting and utterly unfitted to be part of any secret movement anyone should ever organize but he was Jongin’s bestfriend and it was an unwritten rule that he be part of it.

“Lower your voice down, Oh Sehun or I will tell Tao you were the one who deleted that folder on his laptop.”

This seems to garner the desired effect as the only sound that heeded after Jongin’s words were the annoying footsteps of his bestfriend. There was a sudden movement in front of Jongin which caused him to halt without warning, Sehun walking straight to him and hissing when his nose made contact with the back of the elder’s head.

“What—“

“H—Hyung.”

Sehun didn’t need telling who it was as Jongin’s voice goes up a pitch higher as he greets his senior who also happened to be Jongin’s self-proclaimed soul mate; Peeking his head from behind his star struck bestfriend, Sehun raised a hand in greeting.

“You look really nice today, Kyungsoo hyung,” he added just to agitate Jongin, biting back a grin when he feels the jolt on the male in front of him.

What do you mean he look’s good today? He always looks good! It was his cue to quietly slip away, not wanting to dwell further on Jongin’s high school girl tendencies.

Jongin was not prepared for the smile that greeted him when he finally woke up from his trance, torn between cursing Sehun to the depths of hell and thanking him as high as the heavens for having the chance to be graced with Kyungsoo’s precious smile.

He remained rooted on the spot and Kyungsoo was kind enough to actually wait for Jongin, his brows creasing the slightest in worry at the lack of movement from the younger. The shrill sound of the bell served as Jongin’s wake up call, catching Kyungsoo just in time as the older looks at him apologetically while he took a step forward. Jongin, finally realizing how he caused the older male to be late, flushed a shade of red before bowing and muttering stammered apologies. His tongue was still tied on another series of resentment when he felt the lightest of touches graze his forehead, eyes barely catching Kyungsoo take his hand back and walk forward to his class.

Needless to say, Jongin spent the day with his hair tied up in front to let Kyungsoo’s touch linger. Luhan, his other friend, thought it was adorable; Sehun, on the other hand, thinks he’s just an idiot given too much candy.



















The time since Baekhyun left seemed to go faster than how it normally does. Jongin watched as Kyungsoo tries to hide the smile every time he cracks a joke, no matter how lame it was and it wasn’t doing anything good for him. This is what he wanted back then, and it scared him how he still wants it right now.

Kyungsoo was smiling as Jongin enthusiastically told him about how he was almost cast as a dancer for a famous company, the words acting like pillars as images of Jongin dancing forms on Kyungsoo’s mind. It was almost real with the way Jongin allowed his emotions to seep into his words and he found himself lost on the beauty of it, even failing to notice how the younger’s voice faded into a comfortable silence.

“That flower.”

Kyungsoo’s attention was back on Jongin the minute those two words left him, eyes following the younger’s gaze towards the picture of a yellow chrysanthemum on his laptop’s screen. He tilted his head on Jongin’s direction, a silent move as he questions what was wrong.

“Secret admirer.”

Jongin would never have imagined seeing a person turn as red as Kyungsoo was right now just from those two words, the red suddenly more than a color in his eyes but as a spark of hope.

“Hyung, you—“

The sudden sound of objects meeting the wooden surface resounded inside the room and both looked towards the hallway. Baekhyun was on his knees, the tip of his ears stained in a pretty pink as he picked up the boxes of pizzas. “, sorry. I didn’t mean to intrude like that.”

There was a rustle of movement beside him, a blur of movement on the corner of his eyes before Kyungsoo’s figure took up the space in front of Baekhyun, knees bent down in a squat as he helped the eldest with the objects. There were a couple of sodas that rolled up the floor and he gingerly picked up the lemon one, wondering if it was enough to drown out the bitterness on Jongin’s tongue. Why did he expected that time was on his side this time?

“I should get going.” The sour taste of the caffeinated drink wasn’t enough to overpower the bitterness lingering on Jongin’s tongue, but it was enough to get him to start talking again. He knew it won’t last long though, the sight in front of him serving as a ticking time bomb to when he’ll succumb to the comfort of silence again. He wanted to get out before his words beat him to it.

The disapproval was written clearly on Baekhyun’s face as he stood up, leaving Kyungsoo on the floor with his eyes wide as he looked up at him. “But I just got back. Have some respect and at least eat what I—what Kyungsoo asked me to buy.”

It was a dirty trick, one that all three of them know but it didn’t mean Jongin wasn’t allowed to fall for it. He settled back on his seat, his fingers that were wrapped around the can of soda tightening unnoticeably.

The tension was broken as a soft sigh drifted between them, the sound making both Baekhyun and Jongin jerk their heads up to where it came from. Kyungsoo was still seated on the ground, still and unmoving as he caught up on the sound he didn’t mean to let out. The corner of Jongin’s mouth twitched up in a smile.

Time wasn’t on his side, but it didn’t matter as long as Kyungsoo was there.



















“How did it go?”

Jinri’s voice drifted on the room just as Jongin opened the door to come inside. It was sweet and soft and it was everything that Jongin ever wanted. Used to want.

“How many times did I tell you to warn me ahead of time if you were planning to come here?”

The dryness accompanying his words didn’t fall deaf on Jinri’s ears but she didn’t mention a thing, the slight frown on her beautiful lips the only sign of what she heard. “What’s the use of my spare key then?”

“Dad gave it to you, not me.”

Jinri seemed to think that the question didn’t warrant an answer as she disappeared further inside the kitchen. They both know the same words would lead to the same argument, only Jinri was the mature one at the moment, choosing to keep her silence for the sake of their future.

The light from the kitchen casts a warm glow on the hallway and Jongin knew he couldn’t avoid Jinri, not when they were both trapped inside his place anyways.

“I bought cake.” She announced cheerfully when Jongin’s silhouette barely peeked inside the room. “I heard you love strawberry shortcake so I figured I’ll get you one on the way.”

The closed box on the middle of the table was the first thing Jongin saw and it made him crack a wry smile at Jinri’s attempt. He was the one doing the faking but it was unfair how he’s also the one hurting.

They spent the first few minutes in silence, the sound of the silverware against the plates a nice distraction to the awkward atmosphere. They were seated beside each other but the distance between their thoughts could have placed them miles apart. Jongin knew he was hurting himself and Jinri but he couldn’t fathom it in himself to find a way on how to make things right. How do you make things right when you don’t even want it to be?

“How did the meeting with Mr. Do went?” It was Jinri that first broke the silence. She was always the one who did the talking and Jongin felt even guiltier.

“We finally decided the flower for the wedding. You like yellow right?” It was the first time that night Jongin was able to look Jinri in the eye and he felt sick at the sight of adoration blinking right back at him. “Yellow chrysanthemum.”

Jinri must have not expected such words to come out of Jongin’s mouth or even for the male to remember what her favorite color was when she remained unmoving on her seat, glitter-dusted eyelids framing her unusually wide eyes.

“Yes.” The words were softly uttered from in between dry lips a second before one of the sweetest smiles Jongin has ever seen graced Jinri’s face.
It pained Jongin to realize how instead of it lighting him up from the inside, he felt like drowning from the sea of darkness that spread from the tip of his fingers to his heart like a wildfire.



















It was a few days later when Kyungsoo yet received another text from Jinri and he would be lying if he said he didn’t dread the idea of them meeting again.

“She’s going to take you to pick out the rings?” Kyungsoo was sure Baekhyun’s voice carried out to the neighbors with the way the latter’s voice rocketed to an impossibly high note of exasperated disbelief. The sleeves of his green and yellow plaid shirt tightly fastened around his wrist as if symbolizing how tight he is with his control.

Kyungsoo remained silent, his response to Baekhyun only a half-hearted pat on the back before he tucked his wallet at the back of his pants and grabbed his set of keys. The elder made a move to follow him out of the door but Kyungsoo was quick to put up a hand against Baekhyun’s chest. He shook his head once, an apologetic smile on his face as he tries desperately to convey how he needed to do this alone.

Somehow, Baekhyun didn’t fail to see the silent plea from his best friend. He knew it wasn’t just because Kyungsoo wanted to do things on his own with his client; it was something Kyungsoo needed to do – Kyungsoo needed assurance and Baekhyun was willing to let him have that.

“Are you sure you brought your pen?”

The question was more than enough of a sign that Baekhyun understands and Kyungsoo playfully showed him his phone, delight obvious on his face when the former made an expression of disgust. He mouthed a ‘goodbye’ to the elder before he was being pushed out of the door and into his job again, the sunlight hitting him harder than usual as he steps out of the building.



















Kyungsoo was late.

He was twenty five minutes late to be exact.

He was incredibly late but it didn’t even matter to Jongin as he waits patiently by the café they were supposed to meet, eyes drawn to the throng of people walking briskly towards their own responsibilities and fate.

The soft tinkle of the chime went off, a signal that another customer has entered the premises and Jongin’s eyes immediately moved away from the life outside the window to the male now looking lost amidst cup of coffees and paper-wrapped muffins.

As if sensing his gaze on him, Kyungsoo’s eyes met Jongin halfway and the younger didn’t miss the confusion that flitted past wide orbs, his movements disoriented as he scanned the area for Jinri’s familiar frame.

Jongin allowed the other male to silently roam the area with his eyes, latte gone cold from the minutes he had spent waiting for Kyungsoo. The sound of a pair of shoes cuffing against the tiled floors beside Jongin told him that Kyungsoo has resigned to the obvious faith awaiting him for the day. With a grace mastered only by a man accustomed to everyone looking at him, Jongin stood up and greeted the older male with a smile.

The confusion was still etched on Kyungsoo’s face but it was lessened greatly with how precious his shy smile was, hesitation still floating around the older male. It was obvious how unsure he was from the thought of meeting with Jongin alone with no Baekhyun to cure the awkward atmosphere around.

A hand suddenly picked his own up, palm face up before Jongin his phone on Kyungsoo’s hand, screen bright and tarnished with small words that formed a pretty short message.

I’m sorry Jongin, but one of our clients insisted I cater to her request. Can you please, please meet Kyungsoo in my place?

From: Jinri

“Let’s go?”

There was a heartbeat’s silence as Kyungsoo looked up at Jongin from behind his lashes, eyes filled with soft curiosity before it was chased away by a shallow sigh of relief and a nod.

Okay.



















The ride to Cartier’s was uneventful, Kyungsoo sitting silently at the passenger seat as Jongin occasionally murmurs random stories to appease for the silence. Kyungsoo didn’t seem to mind though, small bouts of laughter escaping him once in a while and even though the sound was rare, Jongin was thankful for having the chance to hear glimpses of it.

“Welcome. How may I help you today?” The man clad in black greeted them as soon as he saw Jongin and Kyungsoo approaching the counter.

The soft humming of voices from further down the corner caught Jongin’s attention, making him slightly wary as he inched closer to Kyungsoo’s side, their arms brushing together which only seem to fuel the distracting noises of the females hiding behind the pillar.

“We’re here for browsing.” Jongin was quick to answer, eyes already checking the gleaming bands encased in thick glass. Kyungsoo followed the younger’s response with a courteous smile of his own before he steps in front of an entire different set filled with the same silver and gold ornaments.

“If I may ask sir, what is it that you are looking for?”

“Wedding rings.”

Those two words proved to be the catalyst for the female employees to reveal themselves, quickly brushing off the male employee attending Jongin.

“Sir, if you’re looking for wedding rings then may I lead you to another set right here?” The girl’s enthusiastic voice was too high for Jongin’s liking but he followed her advice nonetheless, walking a few steps to the side and stopping in front of a whole sea of silver rings.

His eyes raked the assortment of silver bands in front of him, mouth drawn into a thin line as he glanced at Kyungsoo once. The employee seemed to have noticed the stolen glimpses when she politely called Jongin’s attention again.

“Should I call your fiancé for you, sir?” she suggested, effectively making Jongin look at her with confusion.

“Fiancé?”

He followed her gaze to where Kyungsoo was still busy looking at the display cases, oblivious to what was happening to Jongin.

“I’m not... “ he trailed off, not exactly sure why he couldn’t deny the employee’s assumption. He was almost wishing the woman in front of him was telling the truth as he stole another glance at Kyungsoo’s direction.

As if sensing Jongin’s gaze behind him, Kyungsoo turned around to lock stares with the younger male, eyes reflecting the gleams from the crystals surrounding them.

“Here, sir.” The two of them tore their gaze away from each other to look at the employee who broke the tense silence around them, eyes bright as she stares expectantly at the both of them.

Even though the air of confusion around Kyungsoo was yet to vanish, he smiled in response to the woman and slowly walked towards Jongin. It was nothing new, but as Jongin remembered what the employee told him earlier, he couldn’t help the flush from painting his face a slight red at the thought of them looking like a couple.

It was not until Kyungsoo softly bumped his shoulder against Jongin’s that he pulled himself out from his trance and chased the embarrassment with a forced cough. “These – These are the rings… for the wedding."

Understanding dawned on Kyungsoo and he quickly offered a quick nod of thanks to Jongin before bowing his head down, eyes studying every piece of the intricate bands in front of them. Instead of mimicking Kyungsoo and browsing for the suitable ring, Jongin found himself admiring Kyungsoo’s frame until his eyes landed on the elder’s hand currently resting loosely against the display case. How would Kyungsoo’s finger look like with a ring wrap around it?

“Pick the one you like.” It was too late to take it back, not when Kyungsoo was looking at him like he just uttered the most unforgivable words there is. “I mean – you should pick the one you like. I’m sure Jinri would love it. I have… no talent in things like these.”

Kyungsoo seemed to accept Jongin’s flimsy excuse though as his shoulders visibly relaxed under the younger’s gaze; wide eyes fluttering close for a second before resuming his earlier task. Jongin remained standing beside him, eyes glassy as he pretended to look for the perfect ring too when his eyes remained rooted on Kyungsoo’s small hand.

When the older male suddenly pointed to a particular design, eyes gleaming in sincere earnest, Jongin found himself leaning slightly closer to catch a glimpse of the platinum band; a lone diamond brushed intricately in the middle.

“What ring size are you, hyung?”

The question was thrown so casually but it effectively took Kyungsoo’s breath away as he blinked furiously in front of Jongin, mouth slightly parted in a silent question. With slightly shaky hands, Kyungsoo wiggled all five of his fingers in front of the younger male and Jongin could only smile as he takes in the information.

“Can I get a size five of this, please?” Jongin turned to the woman who all but rushed inside the storage room with a high-pitched squeak of approval.
There was a soft touch on Jongin’s arm before lithe fingers wrapped around his wrist, Kyungsoo shaking it lightly to catch his attention. He turned to look at the troubled expression the smaller male was wearing and he had to bite back a smile at the obvious distraught on Kyungsoo’s face.

“Relax hyung. You have the same size as Jinri so I think it’ll be okay if you try it.” Jongin’s words were laced with confidence but his heart was thumping incredibly loud against his chest. Would Kyungsoo be able to hear how loud his heartbeat is right now?

“Here it is, sir.” The red box was carefully placed atop the display case, silver name written in cursive before Jongin opens it to take a look at the rings.
There was a few seconds of hesitation before Jongin took the smaller one and faced Kyungsoo, breath slightly shallower than usual as he flashes a nervous smile at the older. “Your hand, hyung.”

Jongin was sure Kyungsoo would decline, he could already see the fear on the elder’s eyes but he was surprised when Kyungsoo actually brought his left hand up.

With shaky fingers, Jongin carefully slipped the silver band on Kyungsoo’s ring finger. He watched as the ring slid smoothly against Kyungsoo’s skin before it ends up fitting snug against the bottom of his finger, silver bright against both their eyes.

It’s perfect.

Kyungsoo watched as the woman took the box back with her, Jongin following to close the transaction, before he looked down at his seemingly empty hand. It was a curious little feeling, having something that screams of someone else’s possession. It was scary and exhilarating at the same time and he hates how it makes him feel. He hates how much he wished Jongin didn’t have to take the ring back and he hates himself more for feeling that way. He was a wedding planner, Jongin and Jinri are his clients. No more, no less.

“I wish you luck on your wedding day, sir.” The female employee winked at Jongin before handing him the small black bag, two rings weighing Jongin down heavily more than he could have ever thought. With one last smile at the clerk, he moved back to Kyungsoo’s side before gently ushering him out the door.



















“Dude, you’ve asked Kyungsoo out like, I don’t know, two weeks ago? And you still haven’t taken him out to anything!” Sehun’s words rang loud and clear against Jongin’s liking as the younger’s finger continuously jabs him on the chest.

“Would you quit that – and it’s not like I have no intention of following that up.” Jongin sulked a tad bit childish than what he ought to do as he secretly watched Kyungsoo sitting under the shade of one of the school’s trees. “I just really don’t know how.”

Sehun didn’t bother hiding his sigh as he slumped against the tree they were currently sitting under, Jongin bent sideways as he stalks Kyungsoo from a few trees away from them.

“I heard that Baekhyun’s going to ask Kyungsoo to that ball, the one on Valentines.” Sehun watched as Jongin’s ears seem to perk up at the information before there was a loud thud as his back meets the grass.

“What the , Jongin!” The older between the two wore an expression between frustration and helplessness, eyes wide as he silently begs Sehun to do something. “Stop looking at me like that. I can’t hand you your date in a silver platter even if you bury me alive out here in the courtyard.”

The words seemed to do the trick when he pulled himself up from Sehun and slumped against the tree again. “What do I do, Sehun? It’s not like I can just pull him up from sitting there and tell him to go with me to God knows where!”

Sehun was watching mildly from his place belly-flopped on the ground. It was actually quite funny having to watch Jongin tear all of his hair out as he thinks of ways to ask Kyungsoo out, but as much as he was enjoying it, he would rather see Jongin with hair than none.

“I have an idea.”

It was a day later when Kyungsoo found himself in the middle of the courtyard, Jongin and Sehun pretending to have a flash mob of their own as they dance to one of their contest pieces. Students passing by had already gathered around in a fair distance around the three of them and Jongin was actually pleased to see the red on Kyungsoo’s face. He looks nice in red. He looks nice in anything.

“Did I do well, hyung?”

The music was already finished when Jongin walked in front of Kyungsoo, tufts of hair plastered on his face as he breathes shallowly. Kyungsoo remained standing on the same spot, cheeks flushed as if he was the one dancing with Jongin in the silent game between them.

“Did I?”

Jongin’s hands were resting on his knees as he looks up at the older male, sweat glistening on the tips of his fringe like snow frozen in the middle of winter. He was beautiful and Kyungsoo couldn’t find it in him to answer properly.

“Hyung.”

There was a small sound of surprise as Kyungsoo fumbled with his phone on his pocket, fingers shakily pressing the buttons before hastily showing the glowing screen in front of Jongin.

“grdat!” (“great!”)

If it was any other day, Jongin would point out how Kyungsoo typed D instead of E but this was no ordinary day and he was beginning to lose focus of what he was about to do next if Sehun didn’t threw a pebble at him.

“Then – Then would you go to the dance… with me?”

As cliché as it may sound, all of the people’s chatter died down the minute Jongin’s eyes locked onto Kyungsoo’s surprised ones. He felt time stood still as he waited for Kyungsoo to open his mouth to say something – anything, that would actually set Jongin from this spell he had gotten himself to.

When the buzz of the students around them started to get louder, Jongin promptly let his head fall down, fringe covering his eyes as he prepared to walk away with his remaining pride. His ears were ringing with bitterness that he failed to hear the steps coming closer, not until small hands closed upon the hem of his shirt forcing him to look up at Kyungsoo’s glassy eyes.

Yes.

It wasn’t spoken nor was it written on Kyungsoo’s famous phone or notebook. It was a word simply reflected as Kyungsoo smiled brightly in front of Jongin, eyes crinkling close as he nods his head once to assure the dancer.

I’ll go to the dance with you.