Chapter 10

What are we?

2009, Beijing Medical College Hospital.


Lu Han rushed over the conference room as he had to attend the ceremonial of the internship in Beijing Medical College Hospital. He asked at the receptionist and ran to where the nurse had told him before he bumped into someone. Light thud heard as he rubbed his bonny chest on something, looking up from his long brown fringe, he saw someone, specifically a woman in white coat flated on the floor. Lu Han ushered himself toward the lady in white as he outstretched his hand to help her stand.

“I’m sorry, Doctor. I was in a rush. I’m so-“ he was cut as the velvety voice came to his hearing.

“I’m fine. Are you an intern?” 

At the mention of his temporary status in this hospital he had look au and met with a pair of pretty brown eyes and an angelic looking doctor with a cute dimple on her right cheek. He blushed at the thought of the senior doctor.

“Yes.”

“You’re cute, Lu... Han?” she read the name tag hang on his chest.

“Thank you.” He hid his blushing face as delicate fingers came to his vision and neatly smoothened some wrinkles on his collar.

“You should see yourself now, all wrinkled up and messy. Let me help you.” 

As the delicate fingers are playing around his collar, Lu Han took a peak at the name tag of his senior. Reading was his hobby but right now he couldn’t read of the words as his heart beat at uncontrollable pace, the warmth of hers as her fingers were unconsciously touching his skin, and the silky brown lock which half covering the name tag was enough to distract his mission. In the end he could only see the surname, Huang.

“Done. You’re as good as new,” she giggled as the hands dropped to her sides admiring her work one last time.

“Thank you, Dr. Huang. I’ll pay more attention on my appearance in the future,” he bowed.

“It’s fine. I’ll see you around,” she patted his head before leaving the dumfounded intern along the hallway, but before she walk a far, she turned to him as she remembered something.

Lu Han’s heart skipped a beat as the clicking sound stop and he could tell the senior were maybe forgot something, he brace himself to turn around when the velvety sound called his name this second time.

“Yes?”

“I forget to tell you that the ceremony was over a few minutes ago.”

She smiled her dimple smile as she spun around leaving Lu Han fluttered and embarrassed.

 

“.”

 

 

 

Thirty minutes late on his first day as intern was not his best record, especially bumping onto a beautiful senior doctor was out off the record. He helplessly got scolded by the chief of his team as he came a few minutes ago, telling him his job and schedule from today onwards. But his eyes caught a familiar name, he was under supervised of Dr. Yixing Huang.

He grinned as the lovely face came to his mind, before someone snapped at him being all space out and out of mind.

“What a lovely name for such a lovely lady,” he muttered.

“What lovely lady, Mr. Lu? Are you already hitting on your friends?” 

The familiar voice was enough to drag him back from his reverie as the dimpled smile appeared in front of his face. He almost cried profanities if the smack on his head made him groan like a kicked puppy in pain. Of course the beauty hand hadn’t made to make a sin by smacking his head, damn the chief.

“Uh, I’m sorry for not paying any attention.”

“Stop spacing out, will you?” 

She giggled before letting the information needed for the interns as she tapped Lu Han’s shoulder gently, but it electrified for Lu Han as he jumped in surprised, clutching his heart like it would pop up any minutes.

“You’re not listening, right? What should I do with you, Mr. Lu?”

You can do anything to me, Mrs. Huang. I’m willingly to be your...

“Lu? Lu? Hello there, Lu Han,” someone snapped at him, Lu Han blinked once, twice, and put the stupid smile on his face.

“Huh?”

“Stop staring at Mrs. Huang like she’s a fine piece of China. You’re so obvious, dude. Besides, she has spouse if it could make you stop daydreaming on her.”

 

“!”

 

 

 

It was the end of his night shift when a familiar figure appeared out of nowhere and had startled him. Looking a bit shock and terrified, Lu Han turned to his side and thanked God for sending him one of his goddess from heaven to fall down next to him, smiling her dimple smile.

“Good work, Mr. Lu, your spacing out is only happened when you’re not around our patients.”

“Uh, yeah, I’m easily distracted by something if I’m not working.” Lu Han scratched his nape sheepishly.

“I hope you can keep it up for the future and try to stop your hobby of daydreaming, right, Mr. Lu.”

Yixing patted her phone and tried to call a certain number, her lips twitched upward in a beautiful crescent moon, not noticing Lu Han’s burning holes on her face.

“Uh, would you mind to call me Han, Mr. Lu sounds like you’re calling my dad.”

“I don’t know, it just that the name easily rolled out of my mouth, like I’m talking with my other colleagues, but...” 

“But?”

“How old are you?”

“Huh?”

“Your age?”

“23.”

“23? You look younger than 23. I’m not believed it.” She laughed hard, but her visage was still endearing to him, despite that she had jus mocked him.

“You look like my son’s age, maybe I really have to call you by your name.”

“I’m sorry that I have this stupid young face, but seriously, senior Huang isn’t looking that old either, though,” he scoffed.

“Me? Can you guess my age? No one had guessed it correctly.”

Lu Han challenged to get it right, when someone called the beautiful woman. He pouted at the thought someone would be a blocker.

“Hi, Xing. Does Taozi haven’t picked you up?” the tall blonde doctor came to her side, ignoring the presence of the junior.

Isn’t that Dr. Kris Wu? What is their relationship? And who’s this Taozi?

“Hi, Wu. He’s on the way. Miss your cousin, huh?” she sneered, hitting his arm playfully.

So, he’s just her relative and Taozi is Mr. Wu’s cousin. Then she has married with Mr. Wu’s cousin? Darn!

“No way in hell, I miss that punk, just tell him to meet at the bar after he’s finished lovey dovey with you. I’ve to go, my date is waiting. Bye, Xing.” 

The blonde kissed her cheek as he walked towards the black Audi which has just coming, before waving coolly at her. Lu Han saw all his acts and suddenly his stomach knotted in uncomfortable way and there was this urge to punch the handsome face of the giant blond. Lu Han turned his attention the woman who waves a little at him.

“What a sneaky giant,” she murmured. “So, can you guess it?” she turned to a bewildered Lu Han.

“Uh, 33?” he randomly said.

“Wow, you’re the first to get it right. I should reward you with something,” she chuckled.

“Call me Han is enough.” Lu Han said shyly.

“That sounds nice, I don’t have to pull out my wallet tonight.”

Lu Han laughed along Yixing as a black Porsche made a stop in front of them. The window rolled down revealing a tan male on the driver seat. He said something as Yixing came closer to the window and briefly kissed the man on the lips and chuckled at the joke throwing by the man. They talked some more, before she turned her back to Lu Han, smiling like an angel.

“Good night, Han.” 

She run lightly around the car and pulled the door to front seat, sitting beside the tan man. The window pulled up and Lu Han stilled on his spot with mouth slightly hanging ungracefully, looking at the car until it was disappear from his vision.

 

“Good night, Xing.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

A few more beeps and the sound of groggy yet sleepy voice greeted him.

“Baek, I have a job.”

 

 

 

2014, Beijing.

A fine young man entered a small coffee shop in front of Beijing metro station, stripped black and white tee and a pair of short washed jeans, his black dyed hair mussed in every directions, his face scrunched up in a sleepy yet cute way. He pulled down his sunglass and searched for a certain brunette, and there she was, sitting in a chair next to the window, hot puff of chocolate could be smell as he made his way towards her table. 

“I heard that you broke up with him,” he took a seat across from her.

“I know he’ll do that, just waiting for the right timing anyway and hello to you, too; always so polite with no greeting, huh,” she sneered.

“You know I always like this and what’s with you? You look perfectly fine, was he ended it after the incident?” he asked curiously.

“Why bothered to ask? Feeling guilty after taking someone’s half?” she jokingly said.

“Just curious. Nothing’s great,” he scoffed as he ordered an American from a passing waiter.

“He did it right away without any hesitance, he even gave me his apartment in Canada, an apartment invested more than half million dollar, who won’t take it?” she laughed carelessly.

“You’re already this rich and still want a full payment? What a douche.” he pouted.

“Business is business, Han. So, how’s the princess doing?” she asked after taking a sip from her drink.

“She’s fine. We’re fine, if that’s what you want to know.” 

“Glad to hear she chose a bastard like you. Jongin and Sehun will be broken hearing this news,” she laughed hard.

“Do they still head over heels with her? I should kick their sorry soon!”

Lu Han got his coffee and drank it right away, easing his sleepiness and anger towards the younger boys. He knew the boys and they knew him perfectly, until what extent he could destroy them in a matter of second.

“They’re just joking, Han. I’ll send you the number of my bank account. Make sure you sent it the right amount,” she typed something in her phone, not long after followed by a beep sound from Lu Han’s phone.

“I got it. I’ll send it today. It seem like you don’t believe me,” he pouted.

“Your cute sickeningly face won’t affect me, Han. I know you can afford it just fine. It’s just a formality from me. You’re my best friend after all,” she said in a singsong voice.

“What do you do after this?”

“Why?”

“I’m worried you’ll be jobless after the end of our contract. I’m a caring friend, am I?”

Lu Han patted his own heart in a hurtful act, instead she only looked at him sceptically. She shrugged her shoulder as if she, herself, hadn’t had any thought of what would she do in the future. 

“I want to marry my boyfriend and live happily with him.”

“You want what? I thought you're single all this time?” Lu Han choked on his coffee.

 

“Have I told you I’m dating Chanyeol?”

 

 

 

 

“Holy !”