Prologue

Broken Angel

~Prologue~

 

Mark tried to fall asleep for about the fifteenth time but he just couldn’t do it. He couldn’t sleep because he spent his night wondering what was really happening to him. His father, wo was busy managing his Victory Group in Los Angeles, transferred him to Seoul without him knowing the reason. He had been living with his grandmother since he moved to Seoul two weeks ago.

He thought that he would have much fun here with his beloved grandmother. But he was wrong. His grandma was over-protective to him. She didn’t allow him to leave the house. He felt like living in jail. He often met time where he didn’t know what to do.

He disliked the time when he had to get some medicines. It was not because he didn’t like the taste of the medicines. But it was because he didn’t even know why he had to get those medicines after meals. He already guessed that he was sick. He hadn’t found out what sickness it was since nobody ever told him about that. He often felt his head really aching. Still, he didn’t know what it was.

Sometimes he gave up on himself. He asked himself, how long it would last with all the medicines he took. Until when he would be locked up at home. How long he would have no friends. As long as he lived in Los Angeles, Mark didn’t have many friends. Mark was a typical quiet man who would not speak unless being spoken to. It was very difficult for him to start a conversation.

Suddenly he remembered his childhood friend when he was 5 years old. He remembered it well because the girl was the only one who wanted to be his friend. But Mark had forgotten the girl's name since it was already very long ago. She was very jolly and he often gave Mark  food or anything that she had brought to school when they were in the same class at a kindergarten in Los Angeles. But their friendship did not last long. When about to enter elementary school, she moved to Seoul because his father was transferred.

Mark was wondering, where was that girl now? Did she still live in Seoul? Were they still able to meet? Did she still remember Mark just like Mark did? Did she still want to be his friend?

After many questions crossed his mind, Mark finally fell asleep.

 

***

 

“Morning, Mark,” greeted Mark’s grandmother as Mark stepped into dining room.

“Morning too, Grandma,” Mark replied, rubbing his eye. He pulled out a seat in front of his grandmother and sat on it. That large oval dining table was just occupied by Mark and his grandmother. There were some servants standing in the corner of the dining room. A servant prepared Mark’s meal and medicines as usual. That was another boring breakfast for Mark. Only him, his grandmother, and some servants who couldn’t be spoken to. Makr had no friends here.

“Mark,” his grandmother called after finishing her breakfast.

“Yes, Grandma?” Mark grabbed his drink fast. He knew that his grandmother was about to say something and he needed to listen carefully.

“What do you feel now after living here with me for 2 weeks?”

Mark had always been honest to his grandmother. He loved her that much that he couldn’t even tell just a little lie. “Grandma, you know that I’m happy with you. But, I feel lonely here. I spend all my day doing nothing and it’s really boring.”

Mark’s grandmother nodded couple times. “I understand. Get yourself done now. Your private tutor is on her way here.”

“Mark’s eyes widened. “What? Private tutor? Her? My private tutor is a girl?”

“Yes. She’s a girl and she’ll be your private tutor. You’ll be needing education since you can’t attend normal high school. So I call her to be your private tutor.”

“And she just accepts it?”

“Of course, she’s my bestfriend’s grandchild. I belive in her. She grew up in a well-educated family. She’s pretty too. I have a plan to match you with her.”

“What? You want me to go out with my private tutor? The old lady?”

“Huh?” Mark’s grandmother’s eyebrows raised. Then, she laughed for something Mark didn’t know. Mark just waited for his grandmother to answer. “You’ll know it soon.”

 

***

 

“Claudia!”

“Yes, Halmeoni*,” Claudia rushed to the car where her grandmother had waited her. The car then settled in front of a big house after about 45 minutes. The nig house was owned by Claudia’s grandmother’s besfriend. Claudia’s grandmother told Claudia that her bestfriend wanted her to be her grandchild’s private tutor. Claudia accepted it happily since she often visited her grandmother’s bestfriend and they had known each other pretty well.

Claudia’s grandmother’s bestfriend greeted them warmly. After a little chitchat, Claudia's grandmother's bestfriend shouted.

"Mark! Quickly here!"

"Is that your grandson Mark who will be my student?" Claudia asked.

"Yes," replied Mark’s grandmother which is Claudia's grandmother's bestfriend.

Claudia nodded.

A young man approached them and greeted Claudia’s grandmother politely. He also bowed to Claudia and her grandmother. The first thing Claudia noticed about him was the color of his hair. His red hair made him look stunning.

"Claudia, this is Mark, my grandson, your student," said Mark’s grandmother.

Claudia startled. "But, I'm going to teach a little boy, aren’t I?"

"Grandma, she's my private tutor? She looks even younger than me," said Mark.

"No, Claudia. He’s your student now. And Mark, Claudia is your private tutor. Though you age the same, but Claudia has twice the brain capacity of your age. You have to learn from her. Understand?" Mark’s grandmother explained.

Mark and Claudia glared each other then looked away. This was not a good start. A girl teach a boy? Mark’s dignity was like trampled on. He could have learned over the internet. But why should over the private tutor? And why the hell should his private tutor be a same age girl? Claudia was also not willing shared her knowledge with Mark. From the beginning they met, Mark has been cast as the war flag on Claudia.

"Not only that," continued Mark’s grandmother. "You will be involved in this family match."

"Grandma," moaned Mark unwilling. His grandmother had told him this morning so he was not too surprised.

In contrast to Mark, Claudia looked very surprised. wide opened. "WHAT?"

"There can be no denial. It's already both of family decision."

"What is this, Grandma?" asked Mark.

"Why don’t you ask my permission first?" Claudia complained to her grandmother. Her grandmother just smiled mischievously.

"The learning process will begin tomorrow after Claudia school. And this takes place every day."

"Every day?" Mark and Claudia shouted simultaneously. Realizing this, Mark stared  Claudia sharply and Claudia just looked away.

"I hope, you can know each other well,” Claudia’s grandmother said, then smiled at Mark's grandmother. They smiled at each other in the realization of their dream to match their grandchildren. Its main purpose was actually to give Mark a good girl before his last day. But Mark’s grandmother wouldn’t let Mark know the real main of this match between Mark and Claudia.

 

 


 

Author's Note: Thanks for those who subscribe to this story. I thanked you a lot. Please comment what do you think about this prologue, I appreciate it so much and it helps me to create the new chapter. It will give me more energy. Thank you~~~

 

 

Love,

 

Safira