Tears Like Spring Rain

Tears Like Spring Rain
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Fresh flower buds bloom and the earth seems to come to life again. Animals awake as the bright sun shines down on them, blinding them as they look at it. The sun who has claimed its rightful position above everything gives everyone the warmth that they've all been yearning for in months. Everyone's attention were also focused on the beautiful flower that was only accessible during this time of the year.

 

Cherry blossom.

 

Yes. Spring has arrived.

 

 

They said that spring is the season of new beginnings. The season of new life. The season that symbolizes rebirth.

 

Luhan had to accept this fact, but he didn't want to. He didn't want a new beginning and he most definitely didn't want a new life because that only means Lee Seol wouldn't be existing in it. Though he didn't want to accept it, that's what all the people around him keeps on telling him to do. It hurts, yes, but what hurts even more was that the person he didn't want to forget, the person that he didn't want to leave behind and the person that he truly loved all this time was even the one who told him to do so. 

 

 

It was a cold winter night when Luhan decided to walk Seol home. Little did both of them knew that everything was going to fall apart that night. The past that was buried in everyone memories had to come back. The unanswered questions had to be answered. The whole story had to be told.

 

"Forget about my Seol, Luhan. I'll stop blaming it all on you. Just... just... leave her alone. Live peacefully without bothering her. You don't love her, Luhan. You just pity her because of what happened to her and her memory. Luhan-ah, Seol's memories are never going to come back. It's already been 10 years. You were a part of those forgotten memories so just think that the Seol you knew back then died during that car accident. Let's just let Seol live peacefully. I don't want her to remember the past that gave her so much pain. This is why I'm trying to avoid her from you."

 

"Ahjumma... please..."

 

The door suddenly opened and Seol appeared. "Lu... Luhan?"

 

"Seol-ah." Both Luhan and Seol's mother said.

 

"You're... Luhan..."

 

"Lee Seol... perhaps... do... do you remember me?" Luhan asked her.

 

Seol's mother was worried. As much as she'd like for Seol to remember everything, she still felt very protective of her. Those 10 years have been hard for her and her daughter, Seol. "Seol-ah... are your memories-"

 

"Omma, will you leave us for a few minutes?"

 

Seol's mother hesitated, but finally agreed. "Sure, but don't take long, Seol." She then went inside their house, praying that her daughter would be fine.

 

There were tears on Seol's eyes as she looked at the boy who she once called 'friend' a long time ago. "Yes, I remember you. I remember everything, Luhan. I had to."

 

Luhan's eyes were watery as well once he heard what his childhood friend said. He immediately wrapped his arms around Seol and said,"Seol-ah! You're back! I can't believe that you're back! I've waited for so long for you to remember me."

 

"Luhan..."  Seol tried to say, but a sudden pain struck her head and it made her drop on the cold ground. She used both of her hands to hold up her head in order to ease the pain as even more painful memories of her past comes back to her all at once.

 

"Lee Seol!" Luhan screamed and came to her aid immediately.

 

Seol wailed as she lay on the snow covered footsteps of her house while being supported by Luhan."My head hurts! It hurts! Make it stop! Make it stop! Please!" She begged.

 

"Seol-ah! Lee Seol. What's wrong? Seol-ah!" Luhan asked, worried. He hugged Seol's body tightly as he cried with her, feeling what she's feeling.

 

"The car!! It's coming!! Stop!! Please stop!!! Stop!" Seol pleaded loudly in Luhan's arms. "Omma!!! Omma!!!"

 

"Seol-ah!!!" Seol's mother heard Seol's cries from outside and immediately ran out of the house for her daughter. She kneeled on the cold ground as well to see her daughter and pushed Luhan away to take over.

 

"Shh. Seol-ah, it's okay. Nothing's going to happen to you. Omma's here." Seol's mother said and kissed Seol's forehead. "Shh, my baby. Everything's okay. Omma's here. Nothing will happen to you."

 

Seol buried her face on her mother's shoulder to avoid seeing Luhan's face.

 

"Seol-ah..." Luhan didn't know what to do. He couldn't even touch Seol and comfort with whatever she's feeling. He wanted to hug her, kiss her and tell her everything is going to be okay now that he's there, but he can't. He wasn't even sure if he can do that.

 

"Luhan-ah! Just leave! Leave!" Seol's mother ordered Luhan.

 

"Ahjumma... Seol-ah..."

 

"You left her, Luhan! You just left Seol by herself! She ran after you, but because of that she lost everything! Everything! Her memories were gone. Everything has been hard on her back then. She couldn't function well and she had to start from the very beginning. Do you really want her to accept you just like nothing happened?"

 

As her mother was speaking, Seol was just crying in her mother's arms, still not facing Luhan. She knew that Luhan was not at fault. She knew that for a fact, but it was hard for her because she was being overwhelmed by the pain of the past. Her traumatic experience as a child does not simply disappear.

 

Luhan interpreted Seol's indifference the wrong way. He didn't think that even Seol would neglect him because of the accident from 10 years ago. "Seol-ah, I didn't mean to leave you back then. You know it wasn't my fault. You know that. I had good intentions and I never wanted you to hurt in so many ways. I also didn't want to be away from you. I told you back then and I'm going to tell you again, Seol. I like you. Nope, I love you. I love you, Lee Seol. When we were apart, there was no day when you weren't in my mind. The 8-year-old Lee Seol. My Lee Seol. Please, Seol-ah. You don't possibly think that-"

 

"Please leave. I don't want to see you anymore." Seol simply told Luhan.

 

"Seol-ah..." Luhan felt an indescribable pain when he heard the words that he never wanted to hear from Seol.

 

Seol sat up and faced Luhan. "I forgot everything and been living without those 8 years for such a long time. I regret remembering everything. I regret remembering you. It brought back a lot of painful memories, Luhan. They're so painful and I've tried to bury them, but then you came along. You should've just left me alone. You do not know what kind of pain I went through when I was recovering from that traumatic experience. So, I'm asking you... as a friend from the past... please... leave me alone and never show your face to me again. Let's go inside, omma."

 

"Okay, Seol-ah." Seol's mother said and supported her daughter as they walk inside of their house. "Luhan-ah. Forget about us. Forget about Seol. Live peacefully from now on. I'm not going to blame you anymore. We'll gladly forget about you as well." Seol and her mother went inside the house, Seol not even glancing at Luhan for the last time.

 

 

It was a fine spring day and the school field was filled with athletes in their soccer uniform as they practice for the upcoming game during the season. Everyone was running around as the ball switches from one foot to the other between the players. They've all been working hard to score a goal, but everyone was just to good to lose to their own teammates even though it was just practice.

 

The practice was getting intense and so far, the score was 0 to 3, with the MVP's team losing.

 

"Ya!!! Xi Luhan!!! Where's your brain recently?!" Luhan's soccer coach yelled at him for missing his 4th chance to make a goal during their practice.

 

Since the soccer season started, Luhan hasn't been doing as good as he was before. His mind was occupied by Seol and what she said the last time he saw her in front of her house during that winter day. Yes, Luhan hasn't seen Seol since then. Seol's mother made sure that her daughter was away from Luhan again. Seeing Seol in the same state after the accident scared Seol's mother so much. She didn't want her daughter to suffer again. She most definitely didn't want Luhan to be near Seol since she still thinks that he was a waste of her precious daughter's time.

 

"Sorry, coach." Luhan said. "May I be excused from today's practice?"

 

"For what reason?"

 

"Coach, Luhan has a fever and he just tried to come out today just for the team." Xiumin who sensed something tried to help his friend come up with an excuse.

 

"Okay, go rest." The coach said.

 

Luhan bowed to his coach and glanced at his best friend to show his appreciation. He then left the fields to go to the locker rooms. Once he was inside, he lay himself down on one of the benches and put his arm on top of his forehead.

 

 

"Seol-ah!"

 

"Luhan?" Seol's eyes enlarged when Luhan pulled her inside of the men's locker room with him.

 

"Shh." Luhan put his hand on top of Seol's mouth to keep her quiet.

 

"Okay, I'll be right there. That bastard, Luhan stole my freaking steamed buns. He knows I love those!" Xiumin complained over the phone and left the locker rooms.

 

Seol eyed Luhan weirdly. She took Luhan's hand off and asked, "You stole Xiumin's steamed buns?"

 

"Yup." Luhan smiled and eyed the bag at one of the benches. "Want to eat some?"

 

Seol just flashed Luhan a smile that made his body heat up. "Sure. Steamed buns during the winter time are the best of course. It's just that... it's Xiumin's."

 

"We'll buy him new ones." Luhan said. "Come on. Let's eat."

 

"You pulled me in here just to eat steamed buns with you?" Seol asked as she grabbed the steamed bun Luhan handed over to her. "Why? You don't want your popular friends to see you with a nerd?"

 

"Chh." Luhan flicked Seol's forehead.

 

"Ah!!!" Seol reacted out of pain and touched her forehead where she was hit. "Luhan-ah!"

 

"You watch too many chick flick movies, Lee Seol." He told her.

 

"Then, what? Why did you want to be alone with me?" Seol asked Luhan. Her eyes enlarged once again as she looked at Luhan who was munching on a steamed bun. She crisscrossed her arms over her chest and moved away from Luhan. "Ya... don't you da-"

 

"You're not as y as the cheerleaders here at school, Seol-ah." Luhan simply said and that statement made Seol return to her original position.

 

Seol cleared and said, "Then.. why did you want to be alone with me?"

 

Luhan just smiled. "

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter